BG-Wiki Search
Closed Thread
Page 730 of 733 FirstFirst ... 680 720 728 729 730 731 732 ... LastLast

Thread: Dev Tracker: Discussion     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

They got English side up. And apparently the game is jp onry. not even joking

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Barance
    Click here for more details on Seventh Rebirth.
    *This game is available in Japan only.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

So some new stuff from teach me dev thread

1) Not 100% but I think they are saying that more than th8 can be beneficial. But then the next dev post on that page says no they wrong it's what we've always known except apparently pet is capped at 1 wtf. And then people asking questions about it to make sure they got it right

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

So more on th and correcting it to basically be what we've known for awhile. Followed by sorry for the miscommunication Japanese is hard lol.

Another one that is basically them saying they can't fix how poorly non monster npcs path because it would likely effect how monsters path. Of course ignoring the obvious solution of just making them path the same goddamn way <.<.

And then a 3rd one that actually made it to the English side. Basically making avatar quest rewards re-obtainable probably sometime next quarter

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Maybe they'll finally introduce the mythical upgraded Evoker's Ring quest they promised eons ago, after they make the quest rewards re-obtainable

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by jacobs67 View Post
    Maybe they'll finally introduce the mythical upgraded Evoker's Ring quest they promised eons ago, after they make the quest rewards re-obtainable
    Oh I'm sure they will... and just like they did black belt they will make it a T0 synth that costs about 5 mil per synth

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

but you'll be able to equip 2 if they do!

New Merits
    BG Level

What you guys have just said about XIV 1.0. I've kinda been saying for 7 years now. It's refreshing to hear someone do something other than fanatically praise ARR and rage at any criticism of it.

The gameplay ideas behind 1.0 were interesting, especially the combat, effectively taking a step towards being an action RPG in that area.
    The execution on the UI and UX front was dismal.

The gameplay ideas behind ARR were beyond disappointing. Copy-cat grindy combat and progression, removal of FF staples and the world's most unimaginative gear stat system.
    The UI and UX however was significantly better than 1.0.

The game traded its soul for commercial viability - which while thoroughly understandable, was not necessary. They could have solved the issues surrounding 1.0 without trading in the interactive combat for the button-mashy GCD / combo system. They could have made the mouse work without making the gear stats beyond dull or adding a weekly-capped point-grind end game.

So in the end you had a game that was unappealing to play due to the most mundane of issues, but had some spark of interest that might make you try.
    They swapped it for a game that was easy enough to play, but is mechanically boring in every active game-play category that RPGs possess.
    Its only real selling point is having the "skin" of a FF setting. Pretty terrible really.

The up-shot of all of this is that I shudder at the thought of Yoshida being involved with the combat system for the upcoming mobile version of FFXI.
    I suspect you'll have to hammer at the screen of your mobile phone endlessly like Clicker Heroes until it's bowl-shaped.

Campaign
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Aleth View Post
    The gameplay ideas behind 1.0 were interesting
    Are you talking about Tanaka's 1.0 or Yoshi-P's 1.X?

I dunno about the others but I was specifically talking about Tanaka's 1.0. It clearly wasn't ready for launch and needed way better programming, way better servers, way more content and blahblah, but I apreciated the fact it was something "unique", original, different from everything else and "not-structured". While not being one, it was closer in concept to a sandbox game than a theme park one.

Copy-cat grindy combat and progression, removal of FF staples and the world's most unimaginative gear stat system.
    Uhm... tbf FFXIV ARR+ feels more "final fantasy" than the original 1.0, which barely looked or felt like one.
    Granted they probably went too far with their homages/cameos from different FFs, but at least at start it was good.
    FFXIV also did some things right and also "invented" a couple of new things, some which got copied by WoW as well! Unbelievable!
    But overall yeah, it really felt and still feels kinda like playing a WoW clone, one done right though and that maybe is granted the chance to still exist and thrive thanks to the very different art direction/style.

Anyway I think Dasva made an incredibly effective summary of how I feel for the two games.

It's probably just bet to assert the genre is lacking innovation, and some of that is our fault since the moment something tends to not appeal to tradition, tables get flipped (by the hardcore crowd).

For example, we know XI tends not to be so hard locked in party size/formations. Yes, there's optimal, but unlike games in the XIV or WoW umbrella, it's usually not the end of the run if you don't have the right party/raid configuration. Meanwhile, you've got a mobile game like Granblue Fantasy that's similar to XI in this vein, barring perhaps the most difficult content in Ultimate Bahamut 6-man. And with they handle group building, you can basically be picky as fuck, run with guildmates, or roll the dice with PUGs (and advertise to twitter for likely near-instant joins). And since formations aren't so rigid, you can have a couple strong people carrying a bunch of weaker players, ideally to help them get better gear. It's a simple community option that winds up lost when you must absolutely meet minimum ilvls and having x amount of the various roles. And there even ways to still be useful even if you are gimp. Of course, GBF also suffers from gacha-itis. So it's not really something I can suggest to someone in good faith if they want to scratch the MMO itch. Just more of acknowledgment that things can be different and successful.

Unfortunately, any time I see a new thread pop or get bumped in the MMO section, it's usually just more of the same trash. On one hand, you can get people that vehemently cling to PvP, and with that systems that inevitably translate to griefing their peers by stealing/destroying resources/gains with individual recovery/defense being near impossible when you're caught alone/in a bad time zone/whatever. On the other, you get those that are all raidraidraid which just trivializes open world content and always soft caps crafting because people being able to get comparable gear outside of raids would mean no one ever raids. And for all the chicken little that goes on with that claim, there's a kernel of acknowledgement that people hate scheduling their lives around their games, needing statics to maintain fixed progression, and basically hoping you even find a group you click with for the long term. The concept of people unifying to take down monumental challenges has been ruined by the expectation of it rather than the occasional spectacle to test players and their world/server.

But all that's just scratching the surface, really. :/

New Merits
    BG Level

Yeah I meant Tanaka's 1.0

When I mean staples of FF, I'm referring to the combat, like elements mattering, status effects... There was consistency between the the single-player FFs I have played, FFXI and FFXIV 1.0

Yoshida's 1.x immediately began to break that consistency down until in ARR you get the crowning achievement of getting to kill Ifrit with fire. Fire incarnate... with fire...
    I can only assume leviathan can take water damage, Shiva ice damage...

On another note, I enjoyed CoP in XI which was apparently created under Tanaka. Amusingly, to this day I meet new people in real life who couldn't beat the promies in the CoP era of FFXI. I have to admit it changes my perception of them as people. You know, I half expect to see them wandering in traffic obliviously.

New Merits
    BG Level

Interesting thoughts arus2001.

The only innovative MMO I see on the horizon is Star Citizen. But that's probably got another 2 years to go until it's ready.

It looks to be the ultimate sand-box whilst having a huge player-proofed economy. The only thing that's worrying people I know is the likelihood of it being like GTA 5 in player-populated areas and probably total chaos around the starting areas.

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

I remember my very first LS (casual noobs) and us trying to do promies. First two tries we couldn't even get to the boss. I had never played a MMO before but soon realized the difference between myself (wanted the best gear and/or to win) and casuals who didn't care about really anything other than their version of having fun.

Random memory that I'll just leave here, same LS did cultivate some members where we joined a Sky specific LS. Some of us were trying to get me a Joyeuse for WAR. My coworker (50 year old something) who introduced me to the game was in the casual LS and said he would help because he had a 75 PLD. So we claim and kill. Everyone is cheering me and saying grats. Coworker says they want to lot and how it's BS if he can't because he helped. Of course, I lose the lot. That was the first ever feeling of true anger I felt from a video game and it was surreal. It made me realize I wasn't a casual and I needed to either do things on my own or join a LS that was (at that time) hardcore.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

God people who were too casual could really fuck your day up in ffxi. I get wanted to just have fun and I certainly tried/invented tons of new different ways of doing things. And yeah some didn't end up working but they weren't complete failures and learned something.

Then go with people who want to do things that just could never work in a million years or being just completely terrible and holy shit it was aggravating unless you had enough to make up for it. I remember my CoP static and most were kind of n00bs except me and our tank but they were bodies and the initial requirements on some fights were insane and making statics could be hard back then for working folk. Can't tell you how many fights came down to hoping the pld kept hate long enough for me to single handedly do 40-60% of the dmg and hope the other 3 DDish people could do the rest combined lol

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

New Post about the whole not getting personal rewards on dynamis boss even when doing it with someone who hasn't and wondering why after the bug report was accepted awhile ago is nothing still done. I think SE is trying to say they can't reproduce it but that they think it's just missing the log sometimes

Yeah, I tend to reserve griefing people who had issue with CoP precisely because it wasn't an individual effort.

Promies were certainly rough since during the capped phase, only WHMs were capable of raising on the way up. And if you chanced upon some unlucky aggro since people favored trying to MGS instead of intelligently fight through, that could be the end of a run. Nevermind the whole nightmare of inventory juggling prior to level sync and such.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by arus2001 View Post
    Yeah, I tend to reserve griefing people who had issue with CoP precisely because it wasn't an individual effort.

Promies were certainly rough since during the capped phase, only WHMs were capable of raising on the way up. And if you chanced upon some unlucky aggro since people favored trying to MGS instead of intelligently fight through, that could be the end of a run. Nevermind the whole nightmare of inventory juggling prior to level sync and such.
    The only job I had leveled at the time CoP released was RDM, which was largely useless for a lot of the fights. At 30 cap I was more or less a gimp WHM. So I leveled BLM to 30 to contribute for Promyvions and get them done. Then for the Mammetts fight I had to level NIN to 40 because suddenly BLM weren't useful in that fight. Then I had to get BLM to 50 for Ouryu, etc.

Sigh, why couldn't I have just leveled RNG from the start.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I specifically leveled rng to 30 for the promise. Leveled blm to carry groups on most other fights. Was rdm main so... yeah after the first rdm died in a few seconds I solo kited both mamets lol

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

My promy group got all the way to al taieu as pld thf drg/nin (not SJ nin but as both jobs) rng blm rdm

Good players didnt need crutchy jobs

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

You had the luxury of actually having a group. Don't have a static? You absolutely need a crutch job. Nobody was gonna invite you, random person, if the only job you had available was a shitty melee DD job. And at level cap, EVERY melee DD job was shitty.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Tbf the better the group the more likely they would have useful jobs and you wouldn't have to gimp through with a melee heavy frankenparty