BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    Is it really that crazy? Most digitial watches last a good 5-7 years with normal use. While these are operating all of about what on average 10 seconds a day?
    I guess when you put it like that, then yeah, didn't think about it from that perspective. Still, was always surprised it didn't die yet, seeing as it has like 10 years now probably?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

considering token technology has been used by banks for years prior, this concept was perfected for "real" usage long before we were dicking around with it to keep our tarus safe.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

My token died out years ago. I'm on #2. Or perhaps #3, I think I lost my keys once...

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Got my token when they first came out, and it still works. possibly cause I had a tendency to stay logged in for as long as possible, reducing the frequency of use.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander
    WoW Realm
    Doomhammer

Mine has lasted over a decade as well.

I recently swapped to the mobile auth, but only because I noticed my tokens screen was starting to fade. I assume the battery is dying and didn't want to deal with calling SE and that hassle if the battery fully died.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

NA1) English summary for FP35 is up.
    Nothing new, still depresses me how little of what gets said gets official translations.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

The real takeaway from that is that they're definitely releasing something sizable-ish in November, since they're making new battle music for it.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Kyte View Post
    The real takeaway from that is that they're definitely releasing something sizable-ish in November, since they're making new battle music for it.
    MMM V2 please look forward to it. This is of course why they fixing MMM xp finally despite accepting my bug reports on it not properly counting ilvl like 3 years ago

Relic Shield
    BG Level

I have had physical token since it came out. I got it mostly for the inventory, with a small secondary use of being more secure. Its not hard so I have no interest in deactivating it, I dont get why people do act like its hard so they do. But I am glad i didnt deactivate it cause ive made many characters since then that wouldnt have had the extra invo, if it wasnt.

I was simply saying above i was contemplating changing over to the new app.

I remember people saying the batteries wouldnt last long or that there was some max amount of combos it could give out, and once they were used they werent repeated. But i figured no it most likely doesnt do that, the security was in the fact people couldnt guess which code happened to be the one at that one time. But still i have always been a tad worried the batteries would die. Sometimes i have to hit the button a couple times to get it to come on or the digits seem a bit faded. Makes me more worried lol. Do they still sell the physical tokens? Ive never taken the token with me anywhere i just hang it on the PC mic. That way I never lose it.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpy View Post
    I have had physical token since it came out. I got it mostly for the inventory, with a small secondary use of being more secure. Its not hard so I have no interest in deactivating it, I dont get why people do act like its hard so they do. But I am glad i didnt deactivate it cause ive made many characters since then that wouldnt have had the extra invo, if it wasnt.

I was simply saying above i was contemplating changing over to the new app.

I remember people saying the batteries wouldnt last long or that there was some max amount of combos it could give out, and once they were used they werent repeated. But i figured no it most likely doesnt do that, the security was in the fact people couldnt guess which code happened to be the one at that one time. But still i have always been a tad worried the batteries would die. Sometimes i have to hit the button a couple times to get it to come on or the digits seem a bit faded. Makes me more worried lol. Do they still sell the physical tokens? Ive never taken the token with me anywhere i just hang it on the PC mic. That way I never lose it.
    I believe that they have discontinued sales of the physical token even there is still a link on the POL frontpage.. Think there may have been an actual announcement about this sometime in the last couple years, but even if not, the link on POL doesn't work. If you wish to continue using the token, you'll have to convert to a physical token at some point.

BTW, I always recommend deactivation via the Emergency Password since doing it that way guarantees that you maintain Mog Satchel access. I've heard that it still works even if you use the normal procedure, but the instructions say that you are supposed to lose it once it's deactivated. I believe that using the emergency password technically does not disconnect the token from your account, only from the login procedure.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

New devpost:

JP1) Weekly post summary. Pretty barren tbh. Something about "the community team being away this week", possibly working at the TGS. >_> Would explain why even JPside forums had nearly no dev traffic.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpy View Post
    They still seem to sell them, at least, you can get pretty far into the purchase process. I think they just push the app more, which mostly makes sense. That said, I have hardware tokens on two of my accounts, one of which dates back to when they first released them - still works fine. The third I'm using the software token for. For the most part, the app is nicer, mostly because it's on a device I tend to have with me regardless. If something does happen, the app is essentially disposable - use the deactivation code, reinstall the app, and set it up again.
    The main downside is that the SE app only supports one account per device. Others, such as Blizzard's, can handle multiple. Not really an issue if you've only got (or only care about using 2-Factor) on a single account.

Campaign
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Nyarlko View Post
    I believe that they have discontinued sales of the physical token even there is still a link on the POL frontpage.. Think there may have been an actual announcement about this sometime in the last couple years, but even if not, the link on POL doesn't work. If you wish to continue using the token, you'll have to convert to a physical token at some point.
    They might have stopped selling a "FFXI" one, but it's used for the SquareEnix account now, not POL/FFXI only anymore, so you can totally buy a "general" one from the SquareEnix store I'm sure.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Nyarlko View Post
    NA1) English summary for FP35 is up.
    Nothing new, still depresses me how little of what gets said gets official translations.
    So just noticed but in this one they snuck in a snarky response lol.

This means that if high quality is not possible, it will be considered a failure, similar to how a stubborn craftsman might destroy an imperfect work out of frustration.
    Of course they just showing their continued lack of understand of the crafting and hq/nq dynamic just like they do when they turn down requests for desynths of these. We aren't rage destroying it's just that even a small portion of the materials back is more valuable than an nq sometimes

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Of course they just showing their continued lack of understand of the crafting and hq/nq dynamic just like they do when they turn down requests for desynths of these. We aren't rage destroying it's just that even a small portion of the materials back is more valuable than an nq sometimes
    They're talking about the in-character reasoning via comparison to RL, not the RL player reasoning.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Fwahm View Post
    They're talking about the in-character reasoning via comparison to RL, not the RL player reasoning.
    But the in-character is just a sprite at the beck of a button wielding overlord... idk there has always been a bit of a disconnect with them and crafters about nq/hq stuff with them not really understanding why nqs are frustrating and basically throw away into an npc a lot lol

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Less snarky, more intending to be flavorful. XD

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

But the in-character is just a sprite at the beck of a button wielding overlord... idk there has always been a bit of a disconnect with them and crafters about nq/hq stuff with them not really understanding why nqs are frustrating and basically throw away into an npc a lot lol
    I'm pretty sure the entire point of the "stuff breaks if not HQ" feature is to specifically address what you're talking about. I don't think there's a disconnect here anymore.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

So it looks like we are getting the shaft on this screenshot contest.

1. it was in the jp freshly picked digest, but was clearly left out of the english version
    2. they made a tweet on the jp twitter
    3. they made an official post on the jp playonline site

they could at least have said "yours is next week dont worry!" or something like that.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

As someone who works irl in a field of craftsmanship, their comment of "how a crafter may destroy their inferior work in disgust" to explain the hq or bust dynamic of the final form shield is actually highly appreciated, and highly accurate. I just am so turned off by the skillchain process of the upgrading that I have no urge to do the upgrade... sad that a prize is still better than a reward for the work, especially in the field of the game that has always been based on the grind more than anywhere else.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk