+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Log Horizon     submit to reddit submit to twitter

And after this episode, I now want Nureha. 2 obvious reasons, really.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Been waiting for Season 1 to complete before starting; so far it's been 6 days and no one has released some sort of compilation of all the eps with subs

I'll wait a bit more before I get desperate and retrieve them individually.

EDIT: nevermind, I thought it was March 31st lol; it's only been 2 days

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

No kidding on that anticlimatic ending to season 1.

Where can I find the light novels to this? This show is so well done, I can only assume the novels are as well, but I can't find them anywhere. All I end up finding are the manga =(

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    No kidding on that anticlimatic ending to season 1.

Where can I find the light novels to this? This show is so well done, I can only assume the novels are as well, but I can't find them anywhere. All I end up finding are the manga =(
    http://baka-tsuki.org/project/index....le=Log_Horizon

That's the site you'll want to use for all your LN translations, really. Anime covers volumes 1-5; they did a good job with the adaptation. There will be some parts, mostly things involving battles, that you'll find better in the LN. Having the moe of the characters from the anime in your mind while reading helps a lot with the enjoyment imo.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Thanks!

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Just watched all of this in the last couple of weeks. Really liked this show.
    Much better than SAO, and if I didnt love .hack so much I would dare say it's better than that too.
    Finally an MMORPG Anime that atually talks about MMORPG elements. So many memories from XI.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Just finished watching this the other day and it really made me want to play an MMO again. Sadly I dislike how most MMOs are just basic WoW clones and focus more about "being a game" as opposed to "being a world". That said, I really enjoyed this show mainly because of not just the MMO elements to it, but also because of how it showed how the "players" had to create their own system of order and rules once the limitations of it being "just a game" were removed. Not a fan of how "Gary Stu" Shiroe comes off ass (he's just a bit too perfect) and the romance subplot was kinda meh, but I do like where they're going with all the being able to change the world itself stuff.

I look forward to season 2, and would love to see how all this stuff could translate into an actual MMO.

I'm probably in the minority in thinking they could've done more to make it feel like an MMO at times, but it was also better in SAO in that respect. So, while they may've touched some on how people act without any rules seemingly in pace, it didn't quite portray how MMO players act when it comes to stuff like loyalty (or lack thereof), fighting over loot, dipshits tanking an economy, assimilating into established cliques, and how quick some are to just "not care" about what they do because it is just a game. Maybe it's just an overall japanese culture thing bleeding through and maybe how they perceive how something like FFXI functioned, but with what we've seen of the show, the MMO elements could be easily removed and still leave us with an okay fantasy setting. Just feels like that shouldn't be the case. :/

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I found they portrayed those griffin mounts/rarity/exclusivity quite well. Once they whipped it out, Akatsuki recognised it was as the ultra rare/exclusive mount rewarded to people who cleared the hardest raid (along with a few others I believe who also knew). Plus, due to teleportation being offline, it was essentially an exclusive perk to those that obtained it to be able to cover long distances.

Given how no one is allowed to be a special snowflake these days (casuals vs hardcore arguement) I found that scene to be quite satisfying for me as I instantly related it to gear, despite it only being a mount.

In WoW it was kinda like that, if we wind time back to certain events/bosses rewarding ultra rare mounts (Mimi's Head, Invincible, Ashes of Alar).

And in FFXI, if you saw anyone with a relic/E-Body back in 2004-2006 and a Mythic in 2007 (if my timings are correct) you knew that guy was either 1. badass/hardcore, 2. someone who fucked over many people/thief/ninja'd/cheated or 3. in a well respected progression/leading linkshell.

I'm completely unsure (besides to appeal to a wider audience or as an audience surrogate) why it was necessary to focus on the kids. I personally grow to dislike if it focuses on a kid too much. I'm aware in some other anime that "kids" are involved too but they are typically 14~16 and it's something my mind can picture as adults and/or they look a whole lot older (at least, teens/18 range). The show was going somewhat nicely as it was with the adults, and apart from introducing the mechanics of a MMO I found it highly irrelevant.

I can see maybe why in that they don't want to focus on a bunch of level capped players doing stuff/kicking ass and want to start on a lower end, but part of my initial appeal of the show was exactly that, seeing a veteran player trying to change the world as well as doing the new content (which I presume is Season 2 material as they barely touched upon that).

Also there was a scene where the kids did get some sort of drop and there was a minor squabble (I think) over it until the leecher/white mage deduced it was better to let pretty boy have it as it was a mage item.

But yeh, not that deep enough. Still a good anime though; I just tend to pay less attention/switch off when the scenes are on them 4 kids.

Granted, I am sick of the cliche "kids solving all the problems the adults couldn't!" problem with anime, myself. At least Shiroe was able to prove useful with Rudy's stuff.

As for the mounts, it just kind of feels like hand-waving. Yeah, we might understand the premise there's hard content not everyone could do, but since we never saw DTP in action, we're just kind of supposed to accept it at face value. It's been hinted that Crusty's guild has tried level 90+ things, or at least trying to level up, but that's all been behind the scenes, too.

Dunno, maybe I'm just projecting my loathing of how terribly SAO handled the raid scenes, especially in the tree.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Aye it's not that I'm sick of it, but providing the "kids" look adult-ish which is usually aged 15~17 (Kill la Kill style, TTGL style, DBZ style, YuYu Hakusho style, a bit broad/high level but you know what I mean) then my mind usually accepts it as it rewires them as adulty.

And yeh I'm a bit disappointed we never saw much of Crusty's guild, and that other group with elitists only (the name escapes me) in action, in favour of....... the kids. lol

Also, as much of a MMO they are portraying, one possible drawback is that us MMOers know exactly what's going to happen if they follow the traditional rules. We'll just basically see the tank tanking, Shiroe debuffing, etc. I suspect that won't make for a very fun anime, action wise. So while the action is light currently, it also seems "just about right" (enough); otherwise I currently cannot think of any possible method of making it exciting if following the current laws of a typical MMO/system. Of course they can jig it up/justify it by giving the mobs a bit more of a personality rather than a script, seeing how NPCs have become alive/self aware more or less as well due to the presence of the players.

---

SAO was never really about raids/fights (after the 2nd ep and especially after the 75th floor boss) for me despite the premise, but it's debatable (not here) if it's bad or good overall, the anime. I'm aware of all sides of the arguement surrounding it, but I'm in favour of it over LH, but I like both anyways, I'm quite laid back about it in general.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Trailer for S2
    http://www9.nhk.or.jp/anime/loghorizon/2nd/movie/

Studio Deen will be animating the show.

I approve of this message.

TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Ker View Post
    Studio Deen will be animating the show.
    FUCK.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

This kills the database.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

=(

Studio Deen aren't terrible animators, though I'm still kinda worried.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

The only anime I've watched from them going by my list is Initial D 3rd Stage and Ranma. Watching the trailer it don't seem like it changed much, so it should be good

The Tower
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Stromgarde Siren
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren

They're wildly inconsistent. On the one hand you have the Unlimited Blade Works movie, which was quite good. On the other you have stuff like (especially the first season of) Higurashi... Wait and see, I guess.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

The staff, besides the ones doing the animation, should all be the same. Satellite isn't the best studio either, so this could go either way. I just don't have good memories of studios switching between seasons (Moyashimon). This season should have more combat scenes, so how they work around the low budget will be the key factor in if we cry and watch damedame subs or end up with something good.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast