+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nmtd Natlhom
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl

You forgot the part where the bad guy says "We're not so different, you and I."

Limecat
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    Blog Entries

Isn't that whole thing with Superheroes though? Is that need to try and save lives without taking lives? I mean, I'm sure that has been brought up in numerous Superman, Batman, ect comics.

If you kill 1 villain, where does it end? Killing one person could open flood gates that gets countless people killed by the hero because they think they're "Saving lives"

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shuichi Shadowstar
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Great series. Different feel from DD for me and was quite enjoyable. Also, one thing I feel this series did very well that we don't see in other MCU movie films is show what happens to normal people caught in the middle of these battles.

Spoiler: show
    The line I remember is when Simpson says, "there is us, and then there is them". I feel that really encapsulated the feeling normal people might be going through with all these things happening around them. The look in people's faces when they realize that they are being controlled by Kilgrave and there is nothing they can do it about it.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by SathFenrir View Post
    I'm not saying you have to like it, but if that is the failing of this show for you - I certainly hope you don't enjoy any other stories with an antihero origin.
    Oh I totally get that it's to be expected (couldn't have a show without.. well no more than a few episodes). Something about this one really bugged me though (loved the show on the whole). Realistically how did she expect it to play out? He confesses and then what? He can't be taken to court. Certainly couldn't be allowed to testify (as soon as he speaks people would start dying again), or that he could be contained in any prison they had. I'm thinking about it too much. I liked the show can't wait for the next.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Zzsark View Post
    Oh I totally get that it's to be expected (couldn't have a show without.. well no more than a few episodes). Something about this one really bugged me though (loved the show on the whole). Realistically how did she expect it to play out? He confesses and then what? He can't be taken to court. Certainly couldn't be allowed to testify (as soon as he speaks people would start dying again), or that he could be contained in any prison they had. I'm thinking about it too much. I liked the show can't wait for the next.
    That was Nuke's whole point when he was

About to kill the cop. Cop was going on about "we'll figure that out when we come to it" in regards to where you would jail him, how to try him, etc

And that's sorta one of the interleaving themes others have brought up. Yes Avengers happened, yes aliens, yes New York, but at the same time everyone still needs to live their daily lives the same as before. People put that shit in the "that cant happen to me / here / anyone I know" category real fast and went back to their lives. This is - assumed to be - true for these "gifted" people who are still figuring their shit out.

To me, the whole point was that she was never supposed to have the right answer, or be able to figure one out. She was a random orphaned kid brought up tangential to stardom with some totally average education and life. Given that it was everything she could do to just keep her head about her (due to psychological manipulation, threat against family/friends/whatever) a "figure it out as we go" approach made sense. For as long as humanly possible she acted to the best of what she believed to be the right way to do things, and that as long as she did that everything would work out.

It didn't. People died. People were hurt. Her sense of right and wrong was kicked in the balls. She realized her way of thinking was naive.

Character development and shit.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nmtd Natlhom
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl

I'm usually pretty lenient on 'illogical' plans, but
    the whole "we can't just kill him, we need him alive to get the girl out of jail" part just flat out wasn't thinking anything at all through. The most likely successful outcome would be to kill him, then use that huge group of people corroborating the mind control deal who all positively identified his body to insert reasonable doubt into the scenario. At the very least punch him in the goddamn throat so he can't go right back to talking as soon as he regains consciousness.

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Ok it's sounding like time to avoid this thread until I finish

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtyHobo View Post
    I'm usually pretty lenient on 'illogical' plans, but the whole "we can't just kill him, we need him alive to get the girl out of jail" part just flat out wasn't thinking anything at all through. The most likely successful outcome would be to kill him, then use that huge group of people corroborating the mind control deal who all positively identified his body to insert reasonable doubt into the scenario. At the very least punch him in the goddamn throat so he can't go right back to talking as soon as he regains consciousness.
    I think keeping him alive to testify was reasonable - early on. When they had him in the van the first time and she punches him it's like nah...you motherfucking pulverize his jaw bone into fine-grain sand. His ass can write or type his testimony. If Stephen Hawking can do it, he sure as fuck can.

But yeah, I don't disagree. I'm just so used to comic logic that I tend to give that shit a pass.

I mean of all the things to quibble over not a single person has mentioned that his power is a VIRUS that infects you - must be airborne - whose only effect is that when given a verbal command in english you have no choice but to comply. Like...dude is talking around you nonstop but you're good if he doesn't command you.

Really stop and think that shit through.

Nobody has complained about that though. Mainly about like minor ancillary decisions made in heat of the moment that backfired.

Confusedblackguy.jpg

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nmtd Natlhom
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl

I think heat of the moment decisions do much more to show the true nature of a character, even if they're poor decisions, so they don't really bother me. The problem with that plan was
    that it had 48+ hours of partial planning, including ~24 hours of in-depth planning with mr. military master. They should've been able to come up with a more detailed plan than "1) Kidnap him. 2) Put him in a hermetically sealed room. 3) ??? 4) Exonerate Hope." The writers tried to wave it away with the "it takes more than a day to plan an exfiltration," which is true, but I still think they should've been further along than that.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by samalis View Post
    Really did not like Luke Cage's character, he seemed rather boring (although the bus scene was decent but reverted back to boring character after it imo). Kilgraves and JJ were god tier. Awesome character development in the series but I feel the plot was really awful, more so in the later half episodes.

Last episode was really a let down and predictable. If they can clean up the plot in the second season while keeping the great character development would definitely rank it higher. Not excited for the Luke Cage mini series but really hyped for Iron Fist. Should be fucking good. Really hated how he killed like 10+ people in the show but Hope Killing herself was the trigger to make it okay to kill him. I see what they were trying to do but god damn was it annoying and stupid.
    I felt they were keeping his character on a leash because of his own series coming up.

After the piece of shit thing, or sorry after, I assumed that it might have been it for his appearances in JJ.

Quote Originally Posted by SathFenrir View Post
    I think keeping him alive to testify was reasonable - early on. When they had him in the van the first time and she punches him it's like nah...you motherfucking pulverize his jaw bone into fine-grain sand. His ass can write or type his testimony. If Stephen Hawking can do it, he sure as fuck can.

But yeah, I don't disagree. I'm just so used to comic logic that I tend to give that shit a pass.

I mean of all the things to quibble over not a single person has mentioned that his power is a VIRUS that infects you - must be airborne - whose only effect is that when given a verbal command in english you have no choice but to comply. Like...dude is talking around you nonstop but you're good if he doesn't command you.

Really stop and think that shit through.

Nobody has complained about that though. Mainly about like minor ancillary decisions made in heat of the moment that backfired.

Confusedblackguy.jpg
    I was going with her thinking that there would be a high chance he says fuck Hope she can rot, instead of making any sort of deal.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Juben Sudorana
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Thinking about this if the person doesn't speak his language then his commands don't work right?

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Juben View Post
    Thinking about this if the person doesn't speak his language then his commands don't work right?
    Or if it was something demonstrated/interpreted visually. If someone was blindfolded and dictated something in a language they didn't know: no effect.

In comics he knows multiple languages.

I'm curious as to how close they'd sick to comics, because otherwise
    his ass ain't dead.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Zzsark View Post
    He can't be taken to court. Certainly couldn't be allowed to testify (as soon as he speaks people would start dying again), or that he could be contained in any prison they had. I'm thinking about it too much. I liked the show can't wait for the next.
    The problem isn't containing him. You can gag him or otherwise disable his speech. Plus if NY has the death penalty, you can be sure it won't be long for him. You can easily put him on trial through cctv, or let him communicate some other way with his voice disabled.

The issue would be getting evidence to convince a jury to convict him or acquit Hope. Trish makes the point in her show that in a post Avengers world, mind control isn't so far fetched. But then Trinity/Jeri also points out how Kilgrave has become the #1 used excuse to get out of crime. People aren't going to just take it for granted. They will want proof Kilgrave in particular has that power, then you'll need to connect it to the person pleading out. Tons of corroborating witnesses that claim to have been mind controlled wouldn't be enough in court.

So Jessica tried numerous times to record a confession and it didn't work. They can't use a confession under duress if they trap him. So they needed evidence of his power. Then throw in some evidence about how he got his power, or some CREDIBLE witnesses who have seen or been controlled. Then connect Hope to Kilgrave (pretty easy -- witnesses at the restaurant where he took her for instance). Then you have reasonable doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Odesseiron View Post
    Or even having Daredevil appear at some point. I mean it's the same neighborhood, and all this fighting and shit is going on. He should be there.
    They should have had Murdock stroll in to represent her instead of Trinity.

But supposedly Jessica Jones and Daredevil share an exact timeline (right before Avengers 2) so presumably he was busy.

We built this city
    We built this city on cock and stooooooone

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

They were smart not to include Murdock, especially not in costume. If he shows up to help this time, the audience will just ask why he doesn't next time and then suddenly Jessica isn't her own hero anymore. If he never shows up, eventually people will just accept that he's not going to come save the day. That shit might not fly after the cross-over miniseries but that's a ways off still.

Speaking of the other series, I'm interested in learning more about Iron Fist. Can anybody recommend some highlight arcs/runs/GNs for him and maybe some Heroes For Hire stuff?

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Delirium Shatterstar
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Deftscythe View Post
    Speaking of the other series, I'm interested in learning more about Iron Fist. Can anybody recommend some highlight arcs/runs/GNs for him and maybe some Heroes For Hire stuff?
    Immortal Iron Fist by Brubaker/Fraction/Aja

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Also, heard good things about Iron Fist: Living Weapon: http://www.comicvine.com/iron-fist-t...on/4050-72933/

Who's driving? Oh my God Bear is driving! How can that be??
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Gredival View Post
    They should have had Murdock stroll in to represent her instead of Trinity.

But supposedly Jessica Jones and Daredevil share an exact timeline (right before Avengers 2) so presumably he was busy.
    My understanding is that they are saving that until all four characters cross over into their own avenger style series. They are basically doing with they did with the MCU on Netflix..slowly introduce characters then have them team up for one whole series.

E. Body
    BG Level

What's the deal on spoilers for these binge shows....

Daredevil
    Was mentioned by Night Nurse, but Jessica said she didn't want any other powers around Killgrave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Delirium Shatterstar
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Iono View Post

Daredevil
    Was mentioned by Night Nurse, but Jessica said she didn't want any other powers around Killgrave
    I think using spoilers tag for a week was said a few pages back.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Deftscythe View Post
    They were smart not to include Murdock, especially not in costume. If he shows up to help this time, the audience will just ask why he doesn't next time and then suddenly Jessica isn't her own hero anymore. If he never shows up, eventually people will just accept that he's not going to come save the day. That shit might not fly after the cross-over miniseries but that's a ways off still.
    Some Easter eggs would have been fun; Murdock on the court room steps, Fisk picking up a gift for Vanessa, bumping into Froggy at a cart to spill coffee to have Jessica sneer and keep waking. Would all require borrowing the actors, or foresight/cgi though.

Quote Originally Posted by Iono View Post
    2 weeks according to sticky.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast