Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nmtd Natlhom
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl

Quote Originally Posted by ronin sparthos View Post
    Jessica Jones and Daredevil are both chock full of normies who aren't exactly clued into what we know as viewers about the larger MCU. The existence of enhanced people is just hitting the scene and it wouldn't be surprising if people denied or held out skepticism that such things are real.

Certainly the justice system wouldn't change overnight and that's mostly what DD/JJ home in on.
    That would be more believable if it didn't take place in New York, where aliens invaded and blew a ton of shit up. I think the hand-waving explanation in JJ is about as good as you're going to get. People don't want to believe these things exist in their day-to-day lives.

Jessica Jones and Daredevil are both chock full of normies who aren't exactly clued into what we know as viewers about the larger MCU. The existence of enhanced people is just hitting the scene and it wouldn't be surprising if people denied or held out skepticism that such things are real.

Certainly the justice system wouldn't change overnight and that's mostly what DD/JJ home in on.
    Agents of SHIELD was arbitrarily skeptical of psychic powers despite their leader having been involved in the whole Loki's-staff-mind-gem-brain-control thing. I guess people in the MCU are still trying to come to terms with Iron Man, Cap and the Hulk being a thing, never mind mind controlling powers. Super strength must seem much more "normal" than the ability to make people do exactly what you want with just a word.

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtyHobo View Post
    That would be more believable if it didn't take place in New York, where aliens invaded and blew a ton of shit up. I think the hand-waving explanation in JJ is about as good as you're going to get. People don't want to believe these things exist in their day-to-day lives.
    It's meant to be a loose shared universe and it's good they only mention the big tentpole movies in passing because it'd just undermine the grounded approach of the Netflix MCU. Stuff is happening (the A heroes journey) but it isn't important to the story being told.

I'm just saying since DD and JJ both deal with the criminal justice system that it's no surprise bureaucracy refuses to adapt to some guy running around with mind control despite the jolly green giant ripping up Harlem. Gives us plenty of space for a story!

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

My main complaint about JJ was:

Spoiler: show
    The fight choreography was pretty lame compared to DD. I get she isn't a trained ninja like Murdock but some of the scenes were generic throw someone into a wall, throw someone else into another wall and cut when she does her super jump so we never actually see it.

I'm hoping Luke Cage / Iron Fist goes back to DD style fight choreography.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nmtd Natlhom
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl

Quote Originally Posted by Obev View Post
    Agents of SHIELD was arbitrarily skeptical of psychic powers despite their leader having been involved in the whole Loki's-staff-mind-gem-brain-control thing. I guess people in the MCU are still trying to come to terms with Iron Man, Cap and the Hulk being a thing, never mind mind controlling powers. Super strength must seem much more "normal" than the ability to make people do exactly what you want with just a word.
    Like Luke Cage said, "I can see my skin." It's much easier to believe something you can witness, even if it's shooting lightning out of a hammer. Mind control you can't see, it could always be people just doing what they actually want.

RE: Above. I don't see Luke Cage having the same martial arts style choreography that DD had, but he definitely has a lot more technique than JJ. I expect him to rely more on brute strength in general. Iron Fist would be unacceptable to not have it, though.

Brown Recluse
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

They mention the events from Avengers 1 in Daredevil. I think even the comics were more about fighting crime and not saving the world and universe like most of the Avengers comics. Daredevil fought more and had to because he isn't as strong as JJ and Cage. If I was that strong I would just toss people around too.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Also I mentioned it before but the tossing is a way for luke and JJ (super strengthers) to fight normies wthout killing them. Sure they can "control" their strength to some degree but even unintentionally they could punch someone in the torso, snap a rib, and puncture a lung. They both go far out of their way to not seriously injure anyone. That's why the fight scenes are portrayed essentially as an adult fending off attacks from 1st graders by picking them up and tossing them away half-assedly.

I agree it was tedious and boring to watch, but you can't really have someone with Cap level strength punching street thugs in the face and imploding their skulls. Makes for a shitty hero.

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtyHobo View Post
    Like Luke Cage said, "I can see my skin." It's much easier to believe something you can witness, even if it's shooting lightning out of a hammer. Mind control you can't see, it could always be people just doing what they actually want.

RE: Above. I don't see Luke Cage having the same martial arts style choreography that DD had, but he definitely has a lot more technique than JJ. I expect him to rely more on brute strength in general. Iron Fist would be unacceptable to not have it, though.
    I feel the issue with Iron Fist issue is going to be how they mesh his origin/powers with the overall world of DD/LC/JJ cause he's essentially the Thor of this team.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Juben Sudorana
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Finished it Sunday morning. The actor for Kilgrave was amazing, hands down one of the best MCU has had. Like Kingpin and even his main henchman can't remember his name but he carried the class but ruthless nature of Kingpin with him. They carry the show. Which makes me wonder how different IM2 would of been had MR had all scenes he said he worked would change my opinion of IM2.

Anyway back to JJ. Ending was so anticlimactic and so obvious,
    I Hate bad guy arrogance for the loss
    including the major fight at the end. 9 maybe 10 episodes out of 13 feels she is just sort of there, she can't make any good decision so she lets all these other broken characters make her decisions for the majority of series. I think I screamed at my laptop and TV a few times saying, we understand you were a victim. Major problem with end of episode 7 and 80% of 8, was the location and reason for it and the aftermath then that debacle.

Can't wait for a how it should of ended youtube video. Daredevil enjoyed more because the Villain had global well hell's kitchen goals and trying to rebuild his city. Kilgrave with all his power through out the series went full bad guy trope bad by the end of series. I felt I just watched nearly 450 out of 520 minutes of lifetime. Unlimited powers could have anything he wants and can't get over a "gifted" woman who said no.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nmtd Natlhom
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl

I feel the issue with Iron Fist issue is going to be how they mesh his origin/powers with the overall world of DD/LC/JJ cause he's essentially the Thor of this team.
    They already pretty much laid the groundwork of that from Daredevil. Madam Gao's (Gow? Don't remember) drug was Steel Serpent, and when she said she was returning home, Fisk asked "To China?" and she responded "It's considerably farther than that."

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Juben View Post
    Finished it Sunday morning. The actor for Kilgrave was amazing, hands down one of the best MCU has had. Like Kingpin and even his main henchman can't remember his name but he carried the class but ruthless nature of Kingpin with him. They carry the show. Which makes me wonder how different IM2 would of been had MR had all scenes he said he worked would change my opinion of IM2.

Anyway back to JJ. Ending was so anticlimactic and so obvious,
    I Hate bad guy arrogance for the loss
    including the major fight at the end. 9 maybe 10 episodes out of 13 feels she is just sort of there, she can't make any good decision so she lets all these other broken characters make her decisions for the majority of series. I think I screamed at my laptop and TV a few times saying, we understand you were a victim. Major problem with end of episode 7 and 80% of 8, was the location and reason for it and the aftermath then that debacle.

Can't wait for a how it should of ended youtube video. Daredevil enjoyed more because the Villain had global well hell's kitchen goals and trying to rebuild his city. Kilgrave with all his power through out the series went full bad guy trope bad by the end of series. I felt I just watched nearly 450 out of 520 minutes of lifetime. Unlimited powers could have anything he wants and can't get over a "gifted" woman who said no.
    That's the point of her hero arc though. She's broken, tries to self-medicate, shut herself away by being a dick but ultimately knows what she needs to do to move past the trauma is be a hero. It's a pretty human arc, all the self-destructive stuff. Most people know what they need to do to get past their problems they just never actually do it. For reasons.

Similarly, Kilgrave's arc is unquestionably human. Get what you want for too long and you don't appreciate anything. It's the fact that JJ resists his mind control that drives him into an obsession with getting her back. First by trying to employ tactics RL abusive partners do (cut you off from friends, make you feel you're the problem, break down your strengths etc.) to lure back their mates. Then trying to negotiate with 'gifts' and pretend like all will be forgiven. Then finally he just goes full tilt comic book villain and snaps.

I was honestly shocked how brutal Kilgrave came off compared to Fisk. While Fisk dominates by his sheer size / brutality, the callous nature by which Kilgrave toyed with people is on a whole different level of brutal. It was beautiful as it was terrifying.

They already pretty much laid the groundwork of that from Daredevil. Madam Gao's (Gow? Don't remember) drug was Steel Serpent, and when she said she was returning home, Fisk asked "To China?" and she responded "It's considerably farther than that."
    Honestly, I didn't even catch that. Looks like someone has rewatching to do!

Anyone find Simpson to be the weak link in the character chain? I feel like his character was all over the place and more setup bait than anything else. Then he goes villain and im like 'wut?'

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Juben Sudorana
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Ronin,
    I wish I could agree but as powerful as he was, he was reduced to focusing on one person which makes his powers useless in the big picture world, except to fuck with her. When you think End game what does he get? A woman who said no to him. Seems so bland and limiting for an awesome villain who is so complex. I feel Fisk was so much more intimidating without powers. Just wasn't feelin it, I guess. Was it bad? No but thought it could be better. Hopefully Iron Fist or Luke Cage will be better.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Juben View Post
    Ronin,
    I wish I could agree but as powerful as he was, he was reduced to focusing on one person which makes his powers useless in the big picture world, except to fuck with her. When you think End game what does he get? A woman who said no to him. Seems so bland and limiting for an awesome villain who is so complex. I feel Fisk was so much more intimidating without powers. Just wasn't feelin it, I guess. Was it bad? No but thought it could be better. Hopefully Iron Fist or Luke Cage will be better.
    That was the point. It's the oldest thing in the book; what does someone who can have practically anything want?

Not everyone wants to rule an empire/country either though, plus he wasn't omnipotent. They did pretty much blatantly spell it out; he could have anything, this is what he wants, he entertains himself by getting a cool mil in cash, you see what he does with it. I lost track of how many times they use some form of "he/I wants to stay under the radar."

The first time they played the motorcycle helmet joke was funny, but they sure kept up on it with a lot of shots. Must have really wanted to appease some focus groups or something.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by arus2001 View Post
    Couple episodes left, but this'll probably wind up getting a 6/10 from me, or 3/5 if using Netflix's star system. While I'd rather not liken it to The Following series that aired on Fox, I just feel like there are way too many similarities for it to not feel like a "been done before" series. One has a sociopathic british dude with some questionably intoxicating charisma. The other just replaces that last point with outright mind control. Meanwhile, both protagonists get mercifully spared by the musings of the villain throughout their runs, ultimately in some form of perverted love. Supporting cast then does a bunch of stupid shit because fuck common sense and "character development".
    So....you mean like 99% of all bad guy/good guy anything's?

Like we've never heard "I should have killed you when I had the chance!"

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Senji View Post
    Like we've never heard "I should have killed you when I had the chance!"
    Jumping off of this, anyone have a body count for how many people died because they didn't kill him the first time she knocks him out?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Zzsark View Post
    Jumping off of this, anyone have a body count for how many people died because they didn't kill him the first time she knocks him out?
    About as many die every time this happens, which is a lot.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Enough to justify letting one poor white girl die in prison.. got it. That's what I thought. Misguided since of justice how I love thee.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zane Farus
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Really did not like Luke Cage's character, he seemed rather boring (although the bus scene was decent but reverted back to boring character after it imo). Kilgraves and JJ were god tier. Awesome character development in the series but I feel the plot was really awful, more so in the later half episodes.

Last episode was really a let down and predictable. If they can clean up the plot in the second season while keeping the great character development would definitely rank it higher. Not excited for the Luke Cage mini series but really hyped for Iron Fist. Should be fucking good. Really hated how he killed like 10+ people in the show but Hope Killing herself was the trigger to make it okay to kill him. I see what they were trying to do but god damn was it annoying and stupid.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Zzsark View Post
    Enough to justify letting one poor white girl die in prison.. got it. That's what I thought. Misguided since of justice how I love thee.
    This happens in like...almost every superhero story though. It's one of the most common plot points.

Good dude beats up evil dude. Evil dude says "you should have killed me when you had the chance!" And escapes somehow. Evil dude goes on to kill swaths of innocents and inevitably good dudes S/O, child, parents, etc. Good dude has crisis of faith and blames self for not killing evil dude. Good dude loses shit and goes hulksmash on evil dude. Good dude stares off into sunset and promises never to kill again.

There that's like 2000 years or so of hero stories.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I'm not saying you have to like it, but if that is the failing of this show for you - I certainly hope you don't enjoy any other stories with an antihero origin.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast