Art Connesseur of Blue Gartr
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Just finished it. I liked it. I didn't love it. There were a lot of great moments. Really like the theme song. Glad to see some minor characters such as Turk and such popping up and make it feel like it's all going on in the same place. I know they're trying to keep shows separate more or less until The Defenders, but man there were a lot of great opportunities to include some of the other characters from shows.

alfre woodard's character is awful...i dont know if it's just her acting or how she was written or what but goddamn it's bad

Quote Originally Posted by Elestial View Post
    Another issue I'm having with this show... somebody on /r/Defenders said:

"The show does a really good job of making a culture I'm not a part of feel relatable. You can put yourself in the characters' shoes."

I really disagree with that statement.
    I think it came closest to that with the assertion that Pop's place was akin to Switzerland for kids. But even then, you still had... well, niggas being niggas. The attempt at politics in the latter half going on to somewhat mirror the BLM movement just kinda had me shaking my head.

Spoiler: show
    The bullets getting approved also seemed like a hell of a plot convenience. If we're to presume any link to reality, arming the cops with expensive exploding ammunition would be the utmost disaster, especially given it's all in response to one guy linked to 3 incidents, and 2 of the more by hearsay and super grainy camera footage (that they refused to acknowledge once cleaned up with regard to Striker). I also find it curious they seem to ignore the reality that Luke shielded the one cop from that hail of bullets from his partner. So, either that video was doctored or that report was wrong/ignored.

Essentially, this plays into my earlier critique about the series trying to be too many things and not really exceeding at any of them. If a fair chunk of the show is gonna be cop drama, cops actually need to behave like cops and not just convenient plot devices when you need to push something. When something like Law and Order or NCIS can do a better job of this, the writing needs some work.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Misty Knight character is also p bad. Her interactions with the other detective at the office are often cringeworthy bad.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

I'm enjoying how many actors from The Wire were used in the series.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Just finished the first episode. Is this shit a prequal?

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Xno Kappa View Post
    Is this shit a prequal?
    No, it's post DD & JJ. Rosario's character brings them up a few episodes in.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I think the way that the Netflix shows work chronologically is that the last episode happens (timeline wise) on the day that the series hits Netflix same way that all the movies are considered to conclude on the day they premiere in theaters.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Amelia Diremii
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Finish it also, and like everyone else, liked it, but definitely not my favorite. Is it sad that I really only watched in hopes of seeing some Danny Rand teasing for IF show? Followed up by severe disappointment.

Graduate of the BG School of FFXI
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Misses Beansman
    FFXIV Server
    Adamantoise
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Why the fuck would you make all that fuss over Misty almost losing her arm and not follow through you teasing assholes?

Show really started going down hill once Diamondback was introduced. I had about all I can take of villains whose driving motivation is that daddy loved their bother more.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Second episode and I'm already getting annoyed at the telegraphed stuff happening. Overly long pauses, cheesy dialogue now and it's getting worse.

the writing is bad, it doesn't get any better throughout the season

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Episode 3
    This latin dude in the hospital should be fucking slapped for being such a shitty actor. Holy fucking fuck

2600klub
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Daredevil+JJ were not actually that great, both series were carried by fantastic villain performances.
    There's no redeeming performance to save Luke Cage.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

So contrarian up in here.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nmtd Natlhom
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl

Quote Originally Posted by kuronosan View Post
    So contrarian up in here.
    Let me contribute more:

Quote Originally Posted by Gryffes View Post
    Daredevil+JJ were not actually that great, both series were carried by fantastic villain performances.
    There's no redeeming performance to save Luke Cage.
    Daredevil S1 had a shit villain. Kingpin was dreadfully boring, and D'Onofrio just made him seem like a fat autistic manchild. DD was good because of its tone, choreography, set design, cinematography, etc.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

My biggest beef with this series is how each episode ended. Unlike other shows, this was almost always ended on an open and shut case. Only a few episodes had a cliffhangy feel to them.

Every time an episode ended like that, I would go "Oh, that's it?" and then check which episode it was and be surprised there was more. It felt very disjointed to me.

I've watched plenty of shitty shows in my life that now and than had that one good episode or that one good moment you remembered. To me this show had not one fight, conversation, or any particular instance at all that I'd care to remember.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Yeah I gave up.

Episode 7?

Are people fucking retarded? Talking about Hell's Kitchen like it's another fucking world. It's literally 15 minutes away. The writing is garbage, the villain is garbage. Luke is a fucking Mary Sue. Fuck this show.

We built this city
    We built this city on cock and stooooooone

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by Mrbeansman View Post
    Show really started going down hill once Diamondback was introduced.
    This is pretty much how I felt.
    I really don't understand killing off Cottonmouth how and when they did. They had just given us his backstory and he had finally come up with an intelligent plan for dealing with Luke. Then suddenly he's dead and we've got his much less interesting cousin and Diamondback. Why not spend the season building up Diamondback and tease him for S2? Maybe that would have given the writers enough time to come up with something more interesting than "DAD LIKED YOU BEST" for a motivation.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast