FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Sixth Expansion Currently in Development
    World of Warcraft’s fifth expansion Warlords of Draenor was only unveiled at BlizzCon this weekend, but the one after that is already on the go.

Speaking to Polygon, Blizzard’s Mike Morhaime confirmed the sixth expansion is already in the works.

“We’ve already started working on the expansion after [Warlords of Draenor],” he said.

“We’ve never done that in the past. We’ve been doing one expansion at a time, sort of a very linear content creation model, and we’ve looked at ways that we can parallelize that. So that while we’re working on this expansion we’re looking at the new one.”

World of Warcraft produced just four expansion pakcs in tis first eight years. Morhaime said Blizzard plans to release expansions more rapidly in the future, in order to keep current players engaged and entice returning players.

“It’s going to be on us and our development team to continually look at ways to evolve the game and keep it relevant, and look for new ways of maintaining engagement within the game. We view expansions as a huge opportunity to do that,” he said.

“We recognize that we need to release them on a faster cadence than we have in the past. So we’re investing in the team and our resources to enable us to do that.”

According to recent Activision Blizzard financials, following the inevitable spike at release of the fourth expansion, Mists of Pandaria, World of Warcraft noted a significant subscriber dip – down to 7.7 million.
    http://www.vg247.com/2013/11/12/worl...-in-the-works/
    http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/11/50...e-next-already

King Bitcher of Bitchington
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Chuggs M'koul
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

Not sure how I feel about that. Feel like if they shit out expansions faster it just demeans the purpose of the previous one. And I don't trust that they put all their resources into making an expansion as great as it could be. hrrrmmm... I'm probably just a jaded idiot. hated the holy power addition so fell out of love with pally during cata. hated the talent changes in panda. story and lore direction is beyond lulz. although AV alldayerrday seems fun.

Ridill
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Galkaeater View Post
    Having one raid size for top tier raids is better for the game in the long run imo
    Maybe. 20 is too big, though, and with there being multiple extremely easy modes that don't require guilds with just the one actual 20 man, which will be way too hard for most people, the bottom will completely fall out.

Quote Originally Posted by Aksannyi View Post
    Surprised at the negativity in this thread, I'm really excited for the new expansion. Looks like exploring the past will be really cool, and if anyone can do it the right way, it's Blizz - because we all know how SE fucked it up.
    It's more about the presentation. In order to do it they pretty much stuck themselves with 2 choices: go full on CoT and spend the entire expansion making sure things we already know happen the same way, or go off the deep end and just make it so that as long as we stop the end guy (which will happen whether you actually do or not, obviously), absolutely nothing that happens here has any effect on the "real" world.

It'll be interesting, I'm sure, but from a story perspective it's a complete joke. Combined with pandaria there's a very real feeling of "we're just coming up with whatever we can to delay the emerald dream and eventual sargeras expansion, because no matter how much you guys really wanna face the true big baddies, we've got nowhere left to go after that."

Combined with pandaria there's a very real feeling of "we're just coming up with whatever we can to delay the emerald dream and eventual sargeras expansion, because no matter how much you guys really wanna face the true big baddies, we've got nowhere left to go after that."
    That is SO true.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Combined with pandaria there's a very real feeling of "we're just coming up with whatever we can to delay the emerald dream and eventual sargeras expansion, because no matter how much you guys really wanna face the true big baddies, we've got nowhere left to go after that."
    Should totally do an expansion based on more unknown but made famous NPCs, such as Hogger, Gamon, Mandrake, etc

Backstory could be something like after witnessing Garrosh wrecking shit in Orgrmar, Gamon goes insane apeshit crazy and starts some war or some shit ... lol

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Chuggs M'koul
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

If they got nowhere to go after Sargeras than they're not using their brains. Who knows. Mabye after WoD we figure out interspace travel via the Dark Portal and go to the burning legion world. Or we make Sarg back into a good guy because who wants characters to die and then Azshara gets all pissy and woman-scorned stuff and rises outta the maelstrom and goes bonkers which sets up for emerald dream because evil psychoticness leaked into Ysera and we gotta save the world again before prom

Like a boss yo
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Mal'Ganis

Real 20 man raid Hogger Hard Mode would be boss imo

Ridill
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Koul View Post
    If they got nowhere to go after Sargeras than they're not using their brains. Who knows. Mabye after WoD we figure out interspace travel via the Dark Portal and go to the burning legion world. Or we make Sarg back into a good guy because who wants characters to die and then Azshara gets all pissy and woman-scorned stuff and rises outta the maelstrom and goes bonkers which sets up for emerald dream because evil psychoticness leaked into Ysera and we gotta save the world again before prom
    you realize sargeras is like above/behind everything you just mentioned, right?

like, even this whole expansion leads directly to his brother

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Chuggs M'koul
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

Yes, I know. I was trying to put myself, sarcastically, in the minds of a blizzard lore director and make shit work. Logic was merely a setback

20 man mythic raiding is the right decision for the game in the long run.

The problem is that there's going to be a ton of growing pain in going from 10 man casual-hardcore style guilds (ie the ones that are currently between 6 and 11 heroics down) to 20-man. A lot of those 10-man guilds are formed out of the people that are sick of the bullshit involved in 25-man srs-mode raiding, sick of dealing with the ego-driven morons who make up a good portion of that format. I'm going to have to deal with those people again, and I'm not looking forward to it. Basically, guilds like mine (and probably Plow's, but he can speak for himself) either have only 2-3 weeks of challenging raid content per patch if we do only flexroic, or we have to deal with recruiting and suffering through a bunch of irritating self-important dickweeds to find enough quality people to make a stable 20-man raid.

Not looking forward to it.

Will see if I'm really up to the challenge when WoD comes out. The option to unsub is always available.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Plow
    you realize sargeras is like above/behind everything you just mentioned, right?
    Yes, I know. I was trying to put myself, sarcastically, in the minds of a blizzard lore director and make shit work. Logic was merely a setback
    These posts are the best, and everything else loses. Clearly, Plow was not prepared.

Ridill
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by aurik View Post
    20 man mythic raiding is the right decision for the game in the long run.

The problem is that there's going to be a ton of growing pain in going from 10 man casual-hardcore style guilds (ie the ones that are currently between 6 and 11 heroics down) to 20-man. A lot of those 10-man guilds are formed out of the people that are sick of the bullshit involved in 25-man srs-mode raiding, sick of dealing with the ego-driven morons who make up a good portion of that format. I'm going to have to deal with those people again, and I'm not looking forward to it. Basically, guilds like mine (and probably Plow's, but he can speak for himself) either have only 2-3 weeks of challenging raid content per patch if we do only flexroic, or we have to deal with recruiting and suffering through a bunch of irritating self-important dickweeds to find enough quality people to make a stable 20-man raid.

Not looking forward to it.

Will see if I'm really up to the challenge when WoD comes out. The option to unsub is always available.
    Same, pretty much. We're just going to finish tier as 10 for fos hopefullly, then move to 25 for rest of panda and go from there for 20 mans.

I think anybody below that 6-11 range you're talking about is just fucked tho.

Yeah that's basically where my guild is. Because of this news we are thinking of transferring to a bigger server in a couple of weeks, and then post-garrosh during the end-of-expansion doldrums we will try to merge/recruit up to 25+

Random question:

Was the ogrimmar raid patch the final content update for MOP, and will they not be adding any new content to the game for about a year(until the release of this new expansion), but still be charging people monthly for almost a year? They did this with CAT and kind of with WOTLK, at least they added a single mini-raid (the dragon thingy..forget name) in WOTLK between then, but not a single content update for over 6 months in CAT.

Also FIVE different difficulties for the same raid? Where 4 share the same lock out timer? ...why?

Quote Originally Posted by Plow View Post

like, even this whole expansion leads directly to his brother
    His brother? Isn't Sargeras of the Pantheon? Which brother are we talking about?

It'll be interesting, I'm sure, but from a story perspective it's a complete joke. Combined with pandaria there's a very real feeling of "we're just coming up with whatever we can to delay the emerald dream and eventual sargeras expansion, because no matter how much you guys really wanna face the true big baddies, we've got nowhere left to go after that."
    Also this 100x. MoP and this expansion feel like those 50 or so filler episodes at the end of Naruto.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Chuggs M'koul
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

Quote Originally Posted by Shiyo View Post
    Random question:

Was the ogrimmar raid patch the final content update for MOP, and will they not be adding any new content to the game for about a year(until the release of this new expansion), but still be charging people monthly for almost a year? They did this with CAT and kind of with WOTLK, at least they added a single mini-raid (the dragon thingy..forget name) in WOTLK between then, but not a single content update for over 6 months in CAT.

Also FIVE different difficulties for the same raid? Where 4 share the same lock out timer? ...why?
    They say they're not going to release any more patches. so no 5.5 or anything like that. They want to focus on WoD. But they could go back on their word.

And to make it clear. This isn't a time-travel expansion. It's an alternate-timeline thing. Garrosh does go back in time and prevents orc blood drinkin' and makes The Iron Horde but then it creates an alternate timeline where Draenor didn't get shattered. Outlands still exists in the (I guess I wanna say true? timeline) and then Draenor in a different one that's connected to Azeroth. We're going to see what would happen if Draenor kept going it's natural course without being shattered. No past-meddling on the players part. Genius

blax n gunz
    BG Level

They say they're not going to release any more patches. so no 5.5 or anything like that. They want to focus on WoD. But they could go back on their word.

And to make it clear. This isn't a time-travel expansion. It's an alternate-timeline thing. Garrosh does go back in time and prevents orc blood drinkin' and makes The Iron Horde but then it creates an alternate timeline where Draenor didn't get shattered. Outlands still exists in the (I guess I wanna say true? timeline) and then Draenor in a different one that's connected to Azeroth. We're going to see what would happen if Draenor kept going it's natural course without being shattered. No past-meddling on the players part. Genius

The 69th Donor
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

LMAO

SPORTS ALMANAC lol excellent.

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I also approve of Doc's level.

I don't understand how blizzard can consistently get away with this almost a year of no new content updates while charging $15/month. It actually greatly angers me, if any other MMO tried to pull this shit they'd end up dying and going f2p. Scummy as fuck when you factor in you get no new content for almost a year then BAM $40 expansion.