+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Preacher (AMC) - Final Season August 4, 2019

I really have no faith in it either but I guess after the success of TWD shit like this gonna be more common.
    One of the greatest comic franchises ever is “Preacher”, created by writer Garth Ennis and artist Steve Dillon. In fact, it’s the sole reason I got back into reading comics after being raped by the holographic foil covered garbage from the 90′s.

It’s also the one adaptation I’ve been praying for since as long as I can remember. After being in development at various networks, cablers, and even movie studios, nothing has ever come into fruition. I’ve been banging my head into the wall in frustration, and at various points written right here on the site that I’m officially done waiting for it. I’ll believe it when I see it. I still stand by this, even with BadAssDigest‘s exciting news that a series is finally heading to pilot over at AMC.

This would normally be the best news in my lifetime, being that AMC was one of my favorite cablers, delivering award worthy television such as “Mad Men” and “Breaking Bad”. But they’ve seriously dropped the ball with “The Walking Dead”. I know a lot of you guys love the show, and I respect that, but it isn’t close to as good as it should be – and I can only hope that AMC suits also feel the same.

It makes me nervous that AMC could deliver such a lackluster series, especially considering the source work of Robert Kirkman is tremendous. Will the same happen to Ennis’ Vertigo comic “Preacher”?

I want to be screaming in excitement right now, yet I’m sitting here writing a piece sprinkled in trepidation, preparing myself for extreme disappointment. After “The Walking Dead” I have no faith that AMC can deliver award worthy television without the help of a studio partner (like Lionsgate or Sony).

And let’s not forget about all of the failed pilots, such at Joe Hill’s “Locke & Key”, which was turned down by Fox. Shit happens.

Ranting aside, this is fantastic news considering how dark and vicious the source material is. It’s the kind of story that will piss off religious groups, and cause quite a stir in the media (if done faithfully). Hollywood is missing the balls to take a chance on something like “Preacher”, so there’s a bit of a celebration that AMC is taking such a risk. Let’s just hope that they’ve learned a major lesson with “Walking Dead” and find a way to give us horror fans something remarkable and timeless. Otherwise, I’m going to hunt them down and make them answer for failing their followers (see what I did there, again?).
    http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/32...ringe-in-fear/

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

They tried to get his going years ago ( was HBO I believe), but got stuffed because HBO wouldn't put the series on TV for being graphic/religiously charged etc. Dunno how they'd work it on AMC

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Woah, if this is done right, expect some wild shit.

Brown Recluse

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Cichy View Post
    I really have no faith in it either but I guess after the success of TWD shit like this gonna be more common.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/32...ringe-in-fear/
    Man he spilled alot of TWD hate into that article. It is his opinion, but he is wrong. I'd watch a Preacher show for sure.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Yah, writer of the article is stupid, TWD is miles better than the comic, Kirkman is not a great writer.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

If they could actually put Jesus's descendant on TV as he's portrayed in the comic, this would be the greatest TV show of all time solely for that.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

this would be legit

blax n gunz
    BG Level

It would be faithful up until the second arc of the comic, and then it becomes completely unfilmable lol. If TWD can't show everything The Governor did they can't show anything The Grail does in Preacher.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Man I wasn't event thinking of the scenes with Cassidy and the eunuch. Not to mention the sex party before that.

Some pretty massive news was teased online after this morning’s report that AMC has put “The Preacher” to pilot.

After the big scoop blasted Saturday morning, actor-writer-director Seth Rogan took to Twitter with some extremely interesting tweets.

“Looks like about seven of years of hard work are about to pay off. I may get to bring one of my favourite stories ever to life,” he said before adding, “Arseface. John Wayne, The Saint of Killers.”

All of the aforementioned characters are part of Vertigo’s “Preacher”, created by writer Garth Ennis and artist Steve Dillon.

While I have my issues with AMC’s “The Walking Dead”, knowing Rogan could be involved with the adaptation excites me beyond belief because there’s a certain comical element to “Preacher”, depending on how you look at it.

Things are heating up, and we should expect a monster announcement next week.

What would you like to see in the series? What do you look most forward to?
    http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/32...acher-for-amc/
    http://cdn.bloody-disgusting.com/wp-...1/arsface3.jpg

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Seth Rogan? ehhhhh

I wonder if they will keep the penis-ing of Starr's head.

So hard we fuck rocks
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

If hbo wouldnt touch this, AMC has no hope of staying true.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Iirc, HBO was more having issues with the gigantic dump the series took on Christianity, and not so much the graphic/perverted stuff.

Either way, the entire Grail arc including the party, the stuff with Quincannon and his meat, and Jesse using the voice on Arseface's dad could never make it on TV.

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Excited for this. Sounds interesting.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

official now http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-wat...-hell-a-coming
    It's official: Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg are adapting "Preacher" for Sony and AMC, with "Breaking Bad" alum Sam Catlin serving as showrunner and executive producer.

"Preacher" is one of the more acclaimed adult comic book series of the '90s, telling the story of Texas reverend Jesse Custer and his friends as they learn that God has abandoned His place in Heaven and try to track down the Almighty to make him answer for the sorry state of life on this here Earth. The series features angels, deadly saints, vampires, inbred hillbillies and all manner of depravation. It is a tribute to all the things that Ennis loves about America and American pop culture — the ghost of John Wayne is yet another character, and one of the most memorable story arcs takes place in Monument Valley — and it is a twisted, touching, hilarious piece of work.

It's also one that has eluded adaptation for a few decades. Kevin Smith tried to produce a movie version at one point, before abandoning it. Mark Steven Johnson tried to turn it into an HBO series before abandoning it. Recently Sam Mendes and then D.J. Caruso were attached to a film version before, again, it was abandoned.

Now it's time for lifelong geeks Rogen and Goldberg — who demonstrated a surprising flair for blending comedy, blasphemy and horror in last summer's hit "This Is The End" — to make their attempt at it, with a lot of help from Catlin, who will run the show day to day if it becomes a series. (Right now, it's just in development.)

“This is amazing!" Rogen and Goldberg said in a statement. "We've tried for seven years to work on Preacher and we're so psyched AMC is finally letting us. It is our favorite comic of all time, and we're going to do everything we can to do it right. Humperdoo!”(*)

(*) That last line will mean nothing to you if you haven't read the comics, and everything if you have, and I would not dream of giving away what character says that line and in what context before you've read and/or seen it.

Word of this project first broke back in November, when Badass Digest's Devin Faraci reported that Rogen and Goldberg were talking with AMC about bringing Jesse, Cassidy and Tulip to life. At the time, I said that I was skeptical that anyone could turn this into a show, especially away from pay cable — "The Walking Dead" is about as gory as the worst of "Preacher," but it doesn't contain material that will engender boycotts by various Christian groups the way "Preacher" will if Rogen, Goldberg and Catlin are completely faithful to Ennis' work — but that "This Is the End" made me far more optimistic that these guys could at least handle the many messy and seemingly incompatible tones of the project.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Having said Humperdoo, there's no going back now. BRING ON THE GRAIL ARC

So hard we fuck rocks
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

God in heaven (or not as the case may be) if they pull this off. All my feels.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

The list of unfilmable moments in Preacher makes The Walking Dead look like Romper Room.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Seth Rogen. I'm not interested.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Correction View Post
    The list of unfilmable moments in Preacher makes The Walking Dead look like Romper Room.
    I was pulling this up for something else, but if they actually get this scene in the show, I don't even.

http://www.entertainmentfuse.com/wp-...k-yourself.jpg

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast