1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 3 hours, 23 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 20 hours, 36 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 20 hours, 23 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 13 hours, 36 minutes
Closed Thread
Page 362 of 380 FirstFirst ... 312 352 360 361 362 363 364 372 ... LastLast
    New Merits
    BG Level

Personally I'm happy enough with this implementation, by the time I finish all the diadem achievements (so about 80 more runs), I will have somewhere around 1500 spoils to use for materia V that I can use in Stormblood, I'm not expecting to get any 280 weapons while doing this tho.

(Can you even turn 280 weapon for spoils? )

Quote Originally Posted by Aoshi View Post
    the design of neo-diadem is so F2P-esque I'd expect to see it in a game like ESO, GW2, or hell even Warframe where mindless useless grinding serves a secondary purpose to either encourage you to spend money on the game or lottery type prizes are commonplace.
    I actually paid a sub for ESO, still mad about that. Honestly I don't have a ton of experience with F2P, and so I just associate that mindless farming more with EQ or WoW than F2P stuff. Like rep grinds and achievements was most of what I did in WoW. As braindead as it was farming Booty Bay Bouncers in Cata was a lot of fun, especially finding places for the mage I was doing it with to hide so he could nuke as I pulled.

If i was a conspiracy theorist I'd say diadem 2.0 is so on the rails boring just so the devs can look back, point at it and say "well we tried our hand at open world content twice and both times it died in 2 weeks" never mind the fact that if the bitching on the majority of forums / reddit are to be believed from the launch of 2.0 that FATEs have been the most negatively received piece of content in the entire game.
    I just don't know if there's a desire for open world content in general. Not that this is done 'right' but the more I think of I feel it would have been a lot better to have some instanced island dungeons you explore and letting some parties have a chance to end up on the same island. It feels like opinions on it are split between 'these pelicans should cast akh morn' and 'I just want my drop already'. All I can think of that they could have added was more stuff to piss around with, special flora that gives you buffs when you click on them, maybe some kind of pomander system, random spawn mobs of various types(evil sky pirates etc). Though in the end I think it would just be pushing a needle away from farming and toward camping which would get the same response.

Quote Originally Posted by Destinye View Post
    Ah, but Yoshi said Diadem 2.0 is what Eurkea will be built around
    Well shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Eludi View Post
    (Can you even turn 280 weapon for spoils? )
    Yeah.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Lots of people enjoy doing hunts for both the social and reward aspect. At least, that's how it is on Siren. Hunts are really the only meaningful open-world content we have currently and (aside from the lulzy drama, which is also a positive part of the game considering we can't get our drama fix from nearly anything else) are well-received generally. I know there is a subset of people who absolutely hate hunts, but there is just as big or bigger a portion of players who love searching for them and taking them down in groups with familiar faces. The networking required for hunting across each server is a major part of why linkshells are used at all - 6 of my 8 shells are hunt shells, because what is socialization in XIV? Nothing forces players to socialize except raids and open-world content like hunts (and even that can be limited to just relaying coordinates).

The fact is, open-world content could be received well and desired as long as it's good. Diadem is a fucking terrible example for the devs to look at when judging player demand for open-world content because both iterations of Diadem have been lazy piles of shit and the majority of players know it and aren't afraid to complain about it. But SE, in all their short-sighted wisdom, look at the complaints about Diadem and the hunt drama and go "oh guess no one wants open world content" when that might not really be the truth. It just has to be GOOD content, which seems to be somewhat difficult for the devs to achieve. If they're simply incapable of designing something that isn't obviously lazy and phoned-in, of course there's going to be negative feedback about the content.

EL - Airship Pirate
    Airship Captain of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Aero Ashwind
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura

It also doesn't help that as soon as questions regarding open world content are presented to Yoshida he deflects with "This isn't FFXI".

I mean, I think we all get that FFXIV will never, ever be anywhere near what FFXI is. However, this sort of false equivalency just rubs off as, we don't know how to separate the good from the bad when it comes to development assets used in our longest running MMO.

FFXI has been running for a long long time and SE has certainly profited greatly from it. It obviously has done some thing right and should not always be waived off as a black sheep in reference to FFXIV.

/rant off

Quote Originally Posted by Seiji Okita View Post
    It also doesn't help that as soon as questions regarding open world content are presented to Yoshida he deflects with "This isn't FFXI".

FFXI has been running for a long long time and SE has certainly profited greatly from it. It obviously has done some thing right and should not always be waived off as a black sheep in reference to FFXIV.

/rant off
    Ultimately, you're seeing it as "FFXIV will never be anywhere near what FFXI is" when SE's accountants and business people see it as far, far greater than FFXI ever was, which is why they feel they can so dismissive towards it. The old FFXI devs had their shot with XIV for 1.0, and completely fucked up. Now people who have 0 ties to FFXI run the show.

EL - Airship Pirate

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Aero Ashwind
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by carlweathers View Post
    Ultimately, you're seeing it as "FFXIV will never be anywhere near what FFXI is" when SE's accountants and business people see it as far, far greater than FFXI ever was, which is why they feel they can so dismissive towards it. The old FFXI devs had their shot with XIV for 1.0, and completely fucked up. Now people who have 0 ties to FFXI run the show.
    Oh, I think you misunderstood me. I didn't mean "FFXIV will never be anywhere near what FFXI is" in the sense of FFXI is a better game. I wasn't trying to compare the two games, as to me they are really two different era's of MMO.

What I was saying was that SE has a lot of experience in the world of MMOs, to waive off requests for some kind of interesting open world content with "this is not FFXI" just does a disservice to a player base that really just want to be able to have more experiences together in the beautiful world Yoshida and his team have built.

By all means, FFXIV is absolutely a success and Yoshida came in and cleaned up after Wada, Tanaka & Co fumbled. I have an absolute respect and admiration for Yoshida for his work turning an absolute failed MMO, into a critically reviewed success. I just think his swagger gets ahead of him when it comes to answering questions regarding open world content.

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

I mean, I think we all get that FFXIV will never, ever be anywhere near what FFXI is. However, this sort of false equivalency just rubs off as, we don't know how to separate the good from the bad when it comes to development assets used in our longest running MMO.

/rant off
    To this day I still can't believe they haven't tried to make any open world content for guilds. Guild-locked FATEs would be a pretty nice idea.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

In a way there are but they're not going to do large scale content that aren't locked ala FFXI NM hunting. The closest thing we'll have to it are boss FATEs which will get ignored the moment people have the achievement items from them and Hunts who's rewards are a running joke.

The Missing Gem fight in Diadem is refreshing to say the least.

But I want to believe that when they design content they want it to be in such a way that if you can see it you can participate in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Silenka View Post
    Lots of people enjoy doing hunts for both the social and reward aspect. At least, that's how it is on Siren. Hunts are really the only meaningful open-world content we have currently and (aside from the lulzy drama, which is also a positive part of the game considering we can't get our drama fix from nearly anything else) are well-received generally. I know there is a subset of people who absolutely hate hunts, but there is just as big or bigger a portion of players who love searching for them and taking them down in groups with familiar faces. The networking required for hunting across each server is a major part of why linkshells are used at all - 6 of my 8 shells are hunt shells, because what is socialization in XIV? Nothing forces players to socialize except raids and open-world content like hunts (and even that can be limited to just relaying coordinates).

The fact is, open-world content could be received well and desired as long as it's good. Diadem is a fucking terrible example for the devs to look at when judging player demand for open-world content because both iterations of Diadem have been lazy piles of shit and the majority of players know it and aren't afraid to complain about it. But SE, in all their short-sighted wisdom, look at the complaints about Diadem and the hunt drama and go "oh guess no one wants open world content" when that might not really be the truth. It just has to be GOOD content, which seems to be somewhat difficult for the devs to achieve. If they're simply incapable of designing something that isn't obviously lazy and phoned-in, of course there's going to be negative feedback about the content.
    I think hunting is well received because it's easy and provides shit tons of currency rather than because it's good open world content.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Fair enough, but there are people who enjoy the hide-and-seek aspect of it, myself included. Whether it reminds me of XI NM hunting or just fun to be the first one to find a hunt, I don't know. It's sort of like a mild gambling addiction, "is it gonna be on THIS side of the map or the other side?" I take pleasure in the simple things I guess >_>; but I know a lot of other people who also have trouble quitting hunting once they get going so it's not just me. As long as there is something honestly enjoyable about the content I will consider it "good"; set the bar any higher than that and I might as well not ever play this game again.

Besides, you could say that being properly rewarding (not too much, not too little) is a required component to good content. Hunts are exactly where they should be in that regard.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Honestly it feels like whenever they create open world content they only go half way.

Look at diadem 2.0

Why do we stop at 3 missions? Why not give us the option to pick up another 3 after the first set and let us choose to continue to run missions until either the clock runs out or an Emergency Mission pops?

Allow people to leave after they complete the first set of missions like normal if they wish and reward additional lockboxes to those who stay to complete another 3/6/9 w/e missions while they're in the zone. Even better why not include named FATEs in some of the missions so your party is at the very least actively doing something around the map instead of just sitting AFK, especially since many of the FATEs in diadem have multiple simultaneous spawn points across the zone.

It doesn't solve most FATEs being boring as shit but it actually gives the content some direction.

And Hunts?

Hunts could easily have led to some ZNM type action in the open world requiring entry level pop items purchased with allied/centurio seals dropping items for higher level mobs had they wished, it would have given us a reason to actually group up and take a LS or FC out and kill some shit. Hell we already have small scale versions of pop NMs with the treasure map system and they're actually pretty damn fun with the aquapolis being a nice bonus.

The major problem they have is properly incentivizing content.

The devs play the ilvl game so tight that unless they want to step out of their comfort zone and either offer additional types of materia (Phys/Magic ATK bonus, enmity +/-, Damage taken -, etc) or offer lower ilvl pieces with set bonuses ala grand company gear we'll continue to end up with shit like diadem where gear is either too low to matter outside of off classes or RNG lottery potentially BiS to act as a massive carrot.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Hunts could easily have led to some ZNM type action in the open world requiring entry level pop items purchased with allied/centurio seals dropping items for higher level mobs had they wished, it would have given us a reason to actually group up and take a LS or FC out and kill some shit.
    because

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi-P
    We understand the demand for it. But we’re not Final Fantasy XI (room laughs) so we don’t have intentions of making it.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Oh I know the answer it's just unfortunate.

EL - Airship Pirate

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Aero Ashwind
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Oh I know the answer it's just unfortunate.
    Precisely

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Actually, they didn't mess up 1.0 - the previous president of SE is what fucked everything up by forcing the release t0 try to compete with WoW's cataclysm, which made no sense, so we actually never knew what 1.0 could have been if it ever left an alpha state since it was very obvious what we got was NO WHERE near finished or optimized, since even if it was on a limited engine, they could have shifted development to a different engine at that stage.

This is why they give "free reign" to Yoshida, but using largely the same crew just in shifted positions. He always deflects it as "this isn't XI" simply because it's the other FF MMO that was massively successful, especially in a time when MMOs weren't yet mainstream until WoW came into play.

Based on reports the SE Suits see XIV as a money machine more than a game, whereas XI was seen more as a game and you could tell the differences immediately, it wasn't a perfect MMO, but the fact to this day it still has the basics in the right area far superior than this modern MMO, is quite telling. No amount of "PS3/PS4/WE NEED THE PS5 limitations" can be used as an excuse.

Then again, Yoshi's entire ideology is: "Do everything as different from FFXI as possible...but let's also pull a lot from XI since it'll save us time and money."

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Ultimately, you're seeing it as "FFXIV will never be anywhere near what FFXI is" when SE's accountants and business people see it as far, far greater than FFXI ever was, which is why they feel they can so dismissive towards it.
    Did XIV actually pass XI as highest revenue FF game ever? That seems surprising.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Natural subs + cash shop being insanely popular I'm not surprised if it came close at least. XI never had overpriced special editions for the game itself/expansions or a cash shop, so it had no supplemental income like XIV does.

Oh, I think you misunderstood me. I didn't mean "FFXIV will never be anywhere near what FFXI is" in the sense of FFXI is a better game. I wasn't trying to compare the two games, as to me they are really two different era's of MMO.

What I was saying was that SE has a lot of experience in the world of MMOs, to waive off requests for some kind of interesting open world content with "this is not FFXI" just does a disservice to a player base that really just want to be able to have more experiences together in the beautiful world Yoshida and his team have built.

By all means, FFXIV is absolutely a success and Yoshida came in and cleaned up after Wada, Tanaka & Co fumbled. I have an absolute respect and admiration for Yoshida for his work turning an absolute failed MMO, into a critically reviewed success. I just think his swagger gets ahead of him when it comes to answering questions regarding open world content.
    Oh gotcha. Ultimately I can imagine it's super frustrating when that type of content doesn't necessarily contradict the design of the other stuff. Like they could probably EASILY have the best of both worlds but they won't even give an inch.

Quote Originally Posted by Destinye View Post
    Actually, they didn't mess up 1.0 - the previous president of SE is what fucked everything up by forcing the release t0 try to compete with WoW's cataclysm, which made no sense, so we actually never knew what 1.0 could have been if it ever left an alpha state since it was very obvious what we got was NO WHERE near finished or optimized, since even if it was on a limited engine, they could have shifted development to a different engine at that stage.

This is why they give "free reign" to Yoshida, but using largely the same crew just in shifted positions. He always deflects it as "this isn't XI" simply because it's the other FF MMO that was massively successful, especially in a time when MMOs weren't yet mainstream until WoW came into play.

Based on reports the SE Suits see XIV as a money machine more than a game, whereas XI was seen more as a game and you could tell the differences immediately, it wasn't a perfect MMO, but the fact to this day it still has the basics in the right area far superior than this modern MMO, is quite telling. No amount of "PS3/PS4/WE NEED THE PS5 limitations" can be used as an excuse.

Then again, Yoshi's entire ideology is: "Do everything as different from FFXI as possible...but let's also pull a lot from XI since it'll save us time and money."
    I'm not an authority on the subject, but I don't think thats the whole story. There was a lot of just completely stupid nonsensical designs in 1.0, even if you gave them all the time in the world it probably would have ended up wit the same result.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dan View Post
    Did XIV actually pass XI as highest revenue FF game ever? That seems surprising.
    XI was called the most profitable, not having the most revenue. I'd imagine XIV is a lot more revenue but at the same time having high costs since they had to pay for I think 7 years of development (including ARR). I don't think its the most profitable thing ever since, according to YoshiP, they had to open up the cash shop to pay for more servers, (referring specifically to the EU servers they announced at the EU fanfest 2014)

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comme...dtank_melding/

Quote Originally Posted by Virtues_Hope
    So I got into melding recently, and quickly found out that you can't meld VIT on anything... Ironically, I happened to pick VIT Materia for every MSQ Reward T_T

I melded whatever I had available, although not optimal.

I wanted to build a sturdy tank. No one gives a rats ass about the damage output if you're tanking. I want to live, and make it easy on healers to heal.

So I thought melding Parry into my gear would be "ok"

Think of it this way:

If you get Parry high enough, say 40-50% chance to parry. That means half of all incoming melee attacks and ability damage on you will be reduced by 30%.

Even though I might be wrong, I went with Parry. Any input?

Side note:

I also melded Determination (Mostly cuz I had no other meteria) because it boosts Damage output and increases healing. However I'm a bit confused. Does Determination increase healing done, or healing received?

EDIT: This isn't the kind of help I was looking for. META or not, how I want to play is up to me, not you. Don't push your views onto me. I'm looking for ways to build a survival optimal tank, not damage.

I'll figure it out myself...
    It pretty much goes as you would expect.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Alistaire Lexander
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/t...ed-dark-knight

Piety based dark knight

Couple of days ago i was think about how DRK`S use alot of mp. So I put peity in my gear and changed my stat points to piety. i have my MP upwards of 8k and trying to push it over 8k. I haven`t ran out of mp yet with trying this. I can say it does work for me and allows me to get out more dps are a tank. haven`t no problem with healers keeping me alive. So what does the community think about this way of tank for Dark Knight`s.
    ...this also goes pretty much as you'd expect.