1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 18 hours, 4 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 5 hours, 55 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 11 hours, 4 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 22 hours, 55 minutes
Closed Thread
Page 364 of 380 FirstFirst ... 314 354 362 363 364 365 366 374 ... LastLast
    Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

providing information is ableist, you nazi

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Carth View Post
    The casual playerbase at large has no idea how to play well in this game. This is largely because SE is insanely inept at providing information to the player.
    No you're wrong, its just too hard to read, you elitist!

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Why should I have to play up to some elitist's standard? I pay my sub, not you. I hope Yoshi-P comes to his senses and bans everyone who ever mentions using a parser because it causes unfair discrimination against players who have done nothing wrong. Not everyone can be expected to play up to raider standards ofc so why would you expect to skip Soar every run? All you're doing is excluding and hurting the feelings of casual players who just want to enjoy the game. If anyone ever tells me my DPS is too low I'm going to report them so fast my finger will catch on fire hitting the button. Elitists deserve to be banned.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

I just wish Yoshida would take his finger outta his ass and give us some way to merits our job abilities/traits already. Converting the exp we should get into merit exp. That would give people incentive to do things.

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by FHT View Post
    I just wish Yoshida would take his finger outta his ass and give us some way to merits our job abilities/traits already. Converting the exp we should get into merit exp. That would give people incentive to do things.
    I wish we had an actual trait tree like every other goddamn MMO out there.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Can't agree more, but again we are stupid and this will be confusing "which it would for a good portion of the playerbase.."

Quote Originally Posted by Destinye View Post
    I believe in an interview recently Yoshida stated it isn't until 4.2/4.3 that there will be 'unique/never before seen content' introduced because they're focusing on 4.0. So that means despite all of the "YOU'RE JUST SALTY BLAH BLAH", 4.0 is literally 2.0 version 2, with swimming.

Also:

How the fuck can you not skip soar...at ilvl270..then again, the NA playerbase largely seem to can't do much these days in terms of pug lol. It's possible to skip soar at the entry ilvl and just slightly over..270 though...how hard do you need to be carried in Zurvan which literally repeats one set of mechanics after adds?
    Ugh I hope not. That's what killed the game for me at launch of 3.0 and I didnt come back until 3.3 or something.

There was nothing to do in the game but do your expert roulette a day or grind an alt job to 60 using ARR fates.I really feel that they need to utilize content in better ways. Like the whole idea of a story dungeon is completely asinine when people want better variety if you're going to give them silly chores.

Dungeons should be carefully thought out to get you some semblance of progression.

It doesnt feel good when all there is to progress is to grind 2 hard modes that are tuned for fresh @ the cap, progress through basically 1 trial because the other will be a complete joke, do this for a month and go into a raid with no midcore difficulty with just 4 bosses thats supposed to last you six months.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Harold Saxon
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Silenka View Post
    Why should I have to play up to some elitist's standard? I pay my sub, not you. I hope Yoshi-P comes to his senses and bans everyone who ever mentions using a parser because it causes unfair discrimination against players who have done nothing wrong. Not everyone can be expected to play up to raider standards ofc so why would you expect to skip Soar every run? All you're doing is excluding and hurting the feelings of casual players who just want to enjoy the game. If anyone ever tells me my DPS is too low I'm going to report them so fast my finger will catch on fire hitting the button. Elitists deserve to be banned.
    Lets ban all raiders and stop raid content, only 0.001% of the playerbase do it

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hafa Nana
    FFXIV Server
    Cerberus

... However, it should be content and rewards that keep players playing, not a gear cap. Tome caps are just an excuse used to cover up the lack of rewarding content.
    ...Does the point of playing the game consist of gearing with tomestone gear and that's all? Once you've got your gear, do you go away and not use it for anything? If so, then there are some serious flaws with the gaming mindset.
    I think that even with a lack of tomestone cap, the core playerbase (who never let their sub lapse and buy pointless shit on Mog Station because it's shiny) would be helped by this rather than hindered, and would still be paying SE the same amount of money. Or possibly even more, to glam their good gear on every job. Meanwhile, I would hope that the rest of the players would have more fun playing many different jobs over the course of the patch content, instead of being stuck on just the one job they were spending tomes on. Everyone should be happier if the tomestone cap was abolished. Or maybe I'm missing something...?
    I think that the topic of rewards could deserve a separate thread on the forum, but in response to your post I would like provide a quotation from a book that I’ve read not long ago, that has given me a lot of food for thought about rewards in gaming. I hope that it would be also interesting for you to take a look at the rewards system in FFXIV and its influence on other aspects of the game from the angle that it described in it.

So here’s my translation (from Russian) of three paragraphs form the book by doctor of psychological sciences, professor of Lomonosov Moscow State University Gippenreyter Y.B. “To communicate with the child. How?”.

In one psychological experiment a group of students started to get paid for playing a brain-teaser game, which they have been doing with enthusiasm. Soon the students of this group have started to play noticeably rarer than their mates, that weren’t getting any payment.

The mechanism here as well as in many similar cases (life examples and scientific researches) is the following: a person successfully and enthusiastically does things, that he chooses himself, in accordance with his own inner convictions. But if he knows that he is going to receive payment or other reward, his enthusiasm decreases and all his activity changes its character: now he is busy not with “creative work” but with “making money”.

Many scientists, writers and artists know how deadly for creativity and at least certainly alien to creative process is contractual work done with anticipation of remuneration. It required force of personality and the genius of the authors for Mozart’s “ Requiem” and Dostoyevsky’s novels to come into being in these conditions.
    ”.

I think that what has been said above doesn’t necessarily mean that rewards in games are evil, when they are a part of the gaming process. If we take for example a game where a player controls a machine or a mechanism, the feeling of progression there is usually achieved by giving the player opportunities to upgrade his car / robot (mech) / plane etc. with better equipment as a reward for winning battles; and this equipment actually gives new qualities to the player model (it moves and shoots differently). In FFXIV there is a similar system only during the leveling process, when the character learns new abilities and this changes the playstyle of a job. At the level cap practically nothing changes other than raw numbers output that the same abilities provide, and new equipment becomes pure rewards that are necessary to earn to unlock higher level content (rewards no longer become a gameplay element).

It’s also great when players can choose, what rewards they prefer to get for doing content that they like, and are not forced to do particular content to get specific rewards, which would feel like a chore. In FF XIV a little bit freedom of choice of rewards is once again present mostly during the leveling process, when players are able to choose one of the several rewards for completing job/main scenario/side quests. In the endgame players can hardly ever choose rewards for doing duties (although they can choose what to buy with different currencies, the ways to earn the currencies are set in stone), and also they need to do particular duties to get specific rewards (that can be obtained exclusively from them).

Another problem with the rewards system in FF XIV is that it doesn’t try to measure individual performance of a party member: starting from dodging AoEs and doing other mechanics correctly and ending with dealing damage, healing (without overhealing) and shielding (taking into account only damage that was absorbed by the shields), surviving tank busters (for players that have aggro; with a multiplier for each active defensive cooldown when being hit) etc. If players were given rewards for active meaningful participation in a duty with multiple party members, rather than just for its completion (the win), then there would be much more veteran players willing to spend their time in learning parties with new players, helping the latter to improve. Because veterans would still be rewarded adequately for their time spent. This would also solve the “carry” problem (players who get carried wouldn’t get substantial rewards).

In the current rewards driven system that we have, the amount of rewards that players can get for doing any content is limited (you don’t need two unique gear pieces, mounts etc.) and thus players run out of opportunities to get rewards. The value of rewards also decreases over time (for example as gear becomes obsolete, new tomestone currencies are introduced etc.). So while the game establishes this kind of mindset of doing content for rewards, the amount and the value of rewards that players can get for doing any given content always diminishes, which negatively affects players’ desire to play and their activity.

I think that ideally rather than rewards, these are player communities that could be the force that naturally brings players together to do content, that they like most (and the way they like it). But in order to be able to do so, communities would need to be provided by SE with much better communication (open and closed forums/text chat/VoIP channels, personal offline messaging etc.) and organizational tools, and given more freedom in setting up the rules according to which duties, participation in which is organized under their governance, are conducted (including allowing or prohibiting using DPS meters, for example), and tools to enforce such rules (such as mutes/kicks/bans from community organized parties). Not to mention the abilities for players to create and join an unlimited number of cross-server communities, dedicated to doing different types of content with different playstyles, rules, prime times etc. With a system to present to the public and search for such communities, check the history of their activity, and track and join games that are conducted under their governance in real time (for this the difficulty of battles should ideally be scalable and depend on the number of participants, allowing different numbers of participants with the possibility of joining/leaving in progress), vote for next duties to take part together with the members of the community etc. I think that such a community driven system could exist with the general guidance from SE in the form of general community rules guidelines and by utilizing the rewards system (Would skipping Soar in Zurvan Ex still cause so much controversy, if players would be given an additional number of “reward points” for doing Soar correctly that would adequately compensate their time spent in battle? And if even in case of the party wipe those individual players that managed to do it right, and were lucky enough not to be hit because of another party member fail, would still get and adequate reward for participating in the part of the fight?).

But currently we have a system that is created with a completely different mindset. SE prefers to have total control over the pace at which content is consumed by players, which is achieved by micromanaging rewards, job balance and battle difficulty by them. I’m afraid that it would take a different game (or at least a new 2.0 type relaunch) to build something on the new foundation.

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Can we get a tl;dr?

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Terrestrial Rage
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Theres a massive gap between elitists and "DPS who can skip Soar." Someone's been told their DPS is too low a few too many times .

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hafa Nana
    FFXIV Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Vaspinne View Post
    Can we get a tl;dr?
    Just read the quotation from the book (3 paragraphs in italics), and skip all my nonsense below.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Terrestrialrage View Post
    Theres a massive gap between elitists and "DPS who can skip Soar." Someone's been told their DPS is too low a few too many times .
    Pretty sure she's mocking the typical leddit (when it isn't a deluge of garbage art and dumb nonsense)/OF post.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post
    Pretty sure she's mocking the typical leddit (when it isn't a deluge of garbage art and dumb nonsense)/OF post.
    Someone took it seriously, I'm laughing my ass off

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Terrestrial Rage
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Thats what I get for reading one page, carry on.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/t...65#post4085765

While we are aware that many of you are curious as to the actual physical location of the new data center, please understand that for security reasons specific to the operation of an online game, we are unable to divulge that information to the public. What we can tell you is that the servers will remain on North American soil, in an area that features an advanced Internet infrastructure.
    FINAL FANTASY XIV was designed to be played in an environment featuring ping times of 200 – 220 milliseconds or less. Even if players experience an increase in ping times due to the data center relocation, as long as their times remain below 200 ms
    Good jokes

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

'eh, 200ms is perfectly playable in this game. The problem was when packets would drop (common with the current location) and the game would take another round-trip to resolve and sync the client back up, which screwed classes relying on procs horribly.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Oh is that what caused the "I'm pressing the button but nothing is happening?!" issue? I hate that one. Thought you hit that 3rd button for mudra? GUESS AGAIN!

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

Oh is that what caused the "I'm pressing the button but nothing is happening?!" issue? I hate that one. Thought you hit that 3rd button for mudra? GUESS AGAIN!
    Or better yet, trying to cast fire ninjutsu and NOPE ONLY REGISTERED THE FIRST! YOU THROW YOUR SHITTY STAR!

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Alistaire Lexander
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Corrderio View Post
    Or better yet, trying to cast fire ninjutsu and NOPE ONLY REGISTERED THE FIRST! YOU THROW YOUR SHITTY STAR!
    On that trash pack of 12 mobs. Yeah, that's the worst.