WoW Realm
    Cenarius

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

God dammit Bethesda. Just take my fucking money already. Seriously thinking about getting the god damn pipboy edition and I am not that into swag. But come on... It's a pipboy I put my phone in. Do I want this? YES. Do I really need this? ...YES.

FML.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Quote Originally Posted by 6souls View Post
    Oh good news.

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

So salty about Android version not being ready yet.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Preordered on Amazon Pip-boy edition on PC. I'm in there.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Few more Caps, etc
    Spoiler: show

Details
    As the sole survivor of Vault 111, you enter a world destroyed by nuclear war. Every second is a fight for survival, and every choice is yours. Only you can rebuild and determine the fate of the Wasteland. Welcome home.

• Freedom and Liberty!
      Do whatever you want in a massive open world with hundreds of locations, characters, and quests. Join multiple factions vying for power or go it alone, the choices are all yours.
    • You’re S.P.E.C.I.A.L!
      Be whoever you want with the S.P.E.C.I.A.L. character system. From a Power Armored soldier to the charismatic smooth talker, you can choose from hundreds of Perks and develop your own playstyle.
    • Super Deluxe Pixels!
      An all-new next generation graphics and lighting engine brings to life the world of Fallout like never before. From the blasted forests of the Commonwealth to the ruins of Boston, every location is packed with dynamic detail.
    • Violence and V.A.T.S.!
      Intense first or third person combat can also be slowed down with the new dynamic Vault-Tec Assisted Targeting System (V.A.T.S) that lets you choose your attacks and enjoy cinematic carnage.
    • Collect and Build!
      Collect, upgrade, and build thousands of items in the most advanced crafting system ever. Weapons, armor, chemicals, and food are just the beginning – you can even build and manage entire settlements

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

None of the Norwegian outlets I contacted had any idea if they'd ever get the pip-boy edition. Amazon, how do I love thee, let me count the ways.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Looks like they removed skills and added a voiced protagonist. The Biowarization of Fallout. Reduce game complexity, add fucking dialogue wheels, limit the dialogue. I imagine when Mass Effect Next gets revealed, it is going to appear to be Fallout in Space.

The game and systems they showed look like they'll be interesting and enjoyable. Character creation looks like you'll have a lot of freedom (while I hit the random button). I like that they've finally added base building mechanics (base building mods were great, but having engine support will made them even better). Power suit looks like a limited thing rather than something you equip and head off in, which could be an interesting change. Companion apps are super annoying, but the fact that it is optional and they acknowledged that they are gimmicky makes me more hopeful. Release date that is sooner rather than years out is great. It may end up being a bad Fallout, but a good game.

They seemed to have done so much right, but a fully voiced protagonist with limited dialogue and the removal of skills bothers me. I can't shake the feeling that the charm of Fallout is going to be lost. Hopefully they can prove me wrong.

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

So skills are gone? Wat?

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Not Kuno View Post
    So skills are gone? Wat?
    Well, no, maybe, yes.

The Pipboy showed STATUS / SPECIAL / PERKS in the stats tab.

There was a Barter Bobblehead shown as well as a "Required Rank 2 Science" indicator. I couldn't imagine them completely removing skills, but I could see them repurposing them. Maybe they've found a better way to integrate them into the game, but we won't know until they give some more information.

Science! Rank 2 sounds like a perk, which is what worried me. Tying what was traditionally done in skills into perks isn't something I want to see.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Meek Marcello
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Game sounds promising, i'll likely day 1 despite how badly they fuck over playstation players in the past.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Looks like I'll have to set aside money from each check to buy a ps4 by October

Quote Originally Posted by Tidane View Post
    Looks like they removed skills and added a voiced protagonist. The Biowarization of Fallout. Reduce game complexity, add fucking dialogue wheels, limit the dialogue. I imagine when Mass Effect Next gets revealed, it is going to appear to be Fallout in Space.

They seemed to have done so much right, but a fully voiced protagonist with limited dialogue and the removal of skills bothers me. I can't shake the feeling that the charm of Fallout is going to be lost. Hopefully they can prove me wrong.
    If limiting the dialog means they can make it more interesting to listen to and watch then I'm all for that. Watching a talking head flap its gums for 15 minutes isn't exactly riveting storytelling (compared to something like the Witcher or ME) which is sad because Fallout games have great stories, environments and interesting characters. But it's hard to get involved or care when every conversation is a talking head that barely moves. It's even funnier when you talk to someone during a mission or fight and you just stand there like you're at a wine bar.

Reduced game complexity basically means nothing if the world is crafted like all the others since the gameplay is essentially just Elder Scrolls with guns. I don't really see the problem with them adjusting and messing with the formula. Is the same thing with better graphics really what you want?

Quote Originally Posted by Pringles View Post
    Looks like I'll have to set aside money from each check to buy a ps4 by October

As to the simplified dialogue options, I do think this is intended simplification for consoles.

Eh, anything that gets someone one step closer to playing Bloodborne is a win in my eyes even if they 'should' be getting this on PC.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    If limiting the dialog means they can make it more interesting to listen to and watch then I'm all for that. Watching a talking head flap its gums for 15 minutes isn't exactly riveting storytelling (compared to something like the Witcher or ME) which is sad because Fallout games have great stories, environments and interesting characters. But it's hard to get involved or care when every conversation is a talking head that barely moves. It's even funnier when you talk to someone during a mission or fight and you just stand there like you're at a wine bar.
    That's the problem. I don't want them building my character a specific way to be able to tell the story. If I wanted that, I'd go play The Witcher or Mass Effect. Voice acting does bring a lot to games, but it also isn't advanced enough to compare to text. I completely understand the direction they're going and why they're doing it, but it will take a lot of what I enjoy out of the series. That isn't to say it won't be a fun or enjoyable game, but it isn't what I was looking forward to.

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    Reduced game complexity basically means nothing if the world is crafted like all the others since the gameplay is essentially just Elder Scrolls with guns. I don't really see the problem with them adjusting and messing with the formula. Is the same thing with better graphics really what you want?
    "Elder Scrolls with Guns" ignores everything about what makes Fallout good. Fallout 3 showed that Fallout could work within the framework of Bethesda gameplay, but they made a bad Fallout game. Superficial things were present. The story was bad, the choices were bad, the consequences were bad, etc. New Vegas attempted to correct some of these, but still had a lot of flaws.

I don't want the same game with better graphics in the same way that I don't want a Fallout skinned Mass Effect. Everything doesn't need to converge to the same game with different art assets. The fun with Fallout is the interaction of a character you build with the world. The way your skills, attributes, and perks impact choices and consequences. Low intelligence playthroughs. Fallout 3 is such a deviation in what Fallout was that it is hard to look at them as having more than that superficial relationship.

This isn't because of the combat, either. I actually don't mind the combat changes. I think that the combat could've been more polished and balanced, but it wasn't the worst thing. The biggest problem was the decline in story and writing, IMO. Falloblivion is certainly a complaint that can be made with merit, but that bothers me a lot less than the other changes.

Which, in a way, is exactly what you're saying. The story in Fallout 3 was bad. I blame it on bad writing and the need to voice everything. Bethesda may very well make a better game by limiting dialogue and forcing the story down a particular path. As I said, I was looking forward to a certain type of game, but they appear to be moving in the other direction. That's fine, but it does blunt some of my excitement for the game.

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Haters gon hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Tidane View Post
    That's the problem. I don't want them building my character a specific way to be able to tell the story. If I wanted that, I'd go play The Witcher or Mass Effect. Voice acting does bring a lot to games, but it also isn't advanced enough to compare to text. I completely understand the direction they're going and why they're doing it, but it will take a lot of what I enjoy out of the series. That isn't to say it won't be a fun or enjoyable game, but it isn't what I was looking forward to.

"Elder Scrolls with Guns" ignores everything about what makes Fallout good. Fallout 3 showed that Fallout could work within the framework of Bethesda gameplay, but they made a bad Fallout game. Superficial things were present. The story was bad, the choices were bad, the consequences were bad, etc. New Vegas attempted to correct some of these, but still had a lot of flaws.

I don't want the same game with better graphics in the same way that I don't want a Fallout skinned Mass Effect. Everything doesn't need to converge to the same game with different art assets. The fun with Fallout is the interaction of a character you build with the world. The way your skills, attributes, and perks impact choices and consequences. Low intelligence playthroughs. Fallout 3 is such a deviation in what Fallout was that it is hard to look at them as having more than that superficial relationship.

This isn't because of the combat, either. I actually don't mind the combat changes. I think that the combat could've been more polished and balanced, but it wasn't the worst thing. The biggest problem was the decline in story and writing, IMO. Falloblivion is certainly a complaint that can be made with merit, but that bothers me a lot less than the other changes.

Which, in a way, is exactly what you're saying. The story in Fallout 3 was bad. I blame it on bad writing and the need to voice everything. Bethesda may very well make a better game by limiting dialogue and forcing the story down a particular path. As I said, I was looking forward to a certain type of game, but they appear to be moving in the other direction. That's fine, but it does blunt some of my excitement for the game.
    I'm having a hard time understanding how voice acting isn't as advanced as text? Surely it's the opposite, but either way, if it makes the story more interesting but less Mary Sue personal I'm alright with that. Generally how a story is told is less important than the quality of it. Sometimes things are different and not exactly how you want it, but I guess it's a feeling of a series you like not being made for you anymore (the universal you, not you specifically). I kinda get that looking at Devil May Cry.

I'm not ignoring what makes Fallout good, but it's a super fast and easy way to describe Fallout games with the main difference being VATS vs...Magic? (I'm hesitant to say nothing) if you aren't talking about the first games and why would you when the game is no longer going that direction? Either way, it's a process that either hits or misses, but I wouldn't say it was particularly bad, just different and it's hard to demonize that without experiencing more of it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 85 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 58 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag