+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 111 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast

lol, when will people learn to never trust any btc exchanges.

my tin foil hat is tingling

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Part of me wants to get a litecoin/dogecoin rig going, but then I think....why bother....

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    Part of me wants to get a litecoin/dogecoin rig going, but then I think....why bother....
    Same thing i thought when bitcoins dropped to <$10 each lol.

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hey View Post
    Same thing i thought when bitcoins dropped to <$10 each lol.
    And that's where the other part of me considers taking the spare parts I have and building a light duty mining rig. Nothing crazy, but capable of making a bit of profit. I have 32gb of 1333 ddr3 sitting around that I don't know what to do with right now....

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Yeah, i've been mining litecoins, feathcoins and dogecoins for a while now, just using the gpu i had anyway. I figure, if nothing else, i'll get some spare change out of it. And maybe with a lot of luck, it could be worth a bit of money someday.

FOR FUCKS' SAKE !!!
    FOR FUCKS' SAKE !!!
    FUCK FUCK FUCK

BG Level

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/bi...dead-1.2562077

The CEO of a virtual currency exchange was found dead near her home in Singapore.

A police spokesman said Thursday that initial investigations indicated there was no suspicion of "foul play" in the Feb. 26 death, meaning officers do not suspect murder.

The spokesman said police found 28-year-old Autumn Radtke, an American, lying motionless near the apartment tower where she lived.

Police have so far classified the death as "unnatural," which can mean an accident, misadventure, or suicide.

Radtke's company, First Meta, said it was "shocked and saddened by the tragic loss."

Virtual money
    First Meta is one of several exchanges that allow users of virtual currencies such as bitcoin to trade and cash out the currencies. (Jim Urquhart/Reuters)

First Meta allows users of virtual currencies such as bitcoin to trade and cash out the currencies. It is one of several such exchanges.

The future of bitcoin has been under scrutiny since the collapse of the Mt. Gox exchange in Tokyo last month.

Radtke had worked at other tech companies.

Postings on her Facebook page showed her to be a believer in the potential of virtual currencies.

Last month she linked to an article on entrepreneurs suffering depression, commenting above the link: everything has its price.
    Okay yeah so ummmm.....this is beginning to look just fucking weird.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

If it was a novel, someone would be killing all the virtual currency peoples to monopolize the content and become rich.

It doesn't have to be a good book.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    The problem is that credit and check cards work just fine. Why use bitcoin unless you need to be untraceable?
    There are also no transaction fees like a bank would charge you for transferring money. Like let's say you are someone who moved to America to make money for your family in another country and then you wire the money to your family after you get paid. You have to pay a fee on it, but if you have bitcoins you can transfer it for free.

With that said I don't actually know a whole lot about bit coins, and I missed the train 4 years ago, and missed it again 2 years ago when it was still a decent time to try getting into it before it really exploded.

If anyone wants to listen to someone who seems to know what he's talking about, here's two and a half hours of Joe Rogan talking to Andreas Antonopoulos about it. I think the example I used about someone transferring money over seas was from this interview.

"Andreas Antonopoulos is a bitcoin entrepreneur, he also serves on the advisory boards of several bitcoin startups and serves as the Chief Security Officer of Blockchain."

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

There's also a fee for bitcoins, though it's quite cheap.

C A P S UNLEASH THE FURY
    BG Level

no one commenting on the newsweek drama? fine, i will

Leah McGrath, you are a perfect example of the reason journalism has a bad name in modern society.

http://mag.newsweek.com/2014/03/14/b...-nakamoto.html

This woman, in what I can only perceive to be a desperate attempt to make a name for herself - because since the identity of Bitcoin's creator matters so little, it can't be for any semblance of service to the public - published an article regarding a man who she thinks might be the guy behind it all. Except she has no idea - just a name and a lot of vague comments. NO EVIDENCE. Nonetheless, she posts his full name, exact location, and photos of himself *and his house* - the latter of which includes his license plate in the shot. She also casually throws in his net worth (which is, of course, astronomical) - that is, if this is even the guy she's looking for.

The poor man called the police and refused to speak but she forced her way into grabbing a vague and likely out of context quote from him that she is using to validate her assumptions.

Not only is this an absurd invasion of privacy and an affront to journalism as a whole no matter whether she's right or wrong - this man is almost certainly in danger now, because she's at once claimed to identify a near-bilionaire and showed people exactly where to find him.

Fuck you, lady

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

"you have reached your limit of 5 free articles a month"

lol, I haven't read any, but okay.

Newsweek in general has been getting increasingly awful. my parents and i had a sub for a long time, and it was a good magazine for many years. then something changed. they started writing more about high fashion, living in large cities, and hipster BS and less about politics, science, and social issues. Which got a LOT worse after their Daily Beast merger. My grandpa was actually the one paying for the sub, but a few years ago he forgot or something and we didn't remind him or buy a new one.

A few months ago they did an AMA and I asked why they switched to the large-city wealthy hipster demographic and if they had any intentions of changing. I didn't get an answer from them, but someone else blamed that on Vogue and said they were better now. Which might be true, but I have no idea, because everything's behind a paywall.

Judging from what you describe, though, I'd guess not.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

She's just asking questions!

Ridill
    BG Level

I'm not sure what's more frustrating between that, every other news source re-reporting that as if it's absolute indisputable fact, and reddit flipping its shit over this after what they pulled around the boston bombing.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I know a few people who used Bitcoins as an investment vehicle for awhile but with the amount of currency being stolen or just lost due to mismanagement and idiocy I can't understand why people would ever invest in this now. The fact that someone easily stole a large actual percentage of the Bitcoins on the market should be a GLARING warning signal that this sort of thing isn't viable yet.

FOR FUCKS' SAKE !!!
    FOR FUCKS' SAKE !!!
    FUCK FUCK FUCK

BG Level

http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/Must%2...ID/2440773222/

He's already be hounded. Man if he really isn't the guy....that reporter chick is going to get curb stomped.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/i-m-not...says-1.2563524

Dorian Prentice Satoshi Nakamoto said Thursday that he is not the creator of bitcoin, adding further mystery to the story of how the world's most popular digital currency came to be.

The denial came after Newsweek magazine published a 4,500-word cover story claiming Nakamoto is the person who wrote the computer code underpinnings of bitcoin.

In an exclusive two-hour interview with The Associated Press, Nakamoto, 64, denied he had anything to do with it and said he had never heard of bitcoin until his son told him he had been contacted by a Newsweek reporter three weeks ago.

Nakamoto acknowledged that many of the details in Newsweek's report are correct, including that he once worked for a defence contractor, and that his given name at birth was Satoshi. But he strongly disputed the magazine's assertion that he is "the face behind bitcoin."

"I got nothing to do with it," he said, repeatedly.

Newsweek stands by its story, which kicked off the relaunch of its print edition after 15 months and reorganization under new ownership.

Since bitcoin's birth in 2009, the currency's creator has remained a mystery. The person — or people — behind the digital currency's inception have been known only as "Satoshi Nakamoto," which many observers believed to be a pseudonym.

Bitcoin has become increasingly popular among tech enthusiasts, libertarians and risk-seeking investors because it allows people to make one-to-one transactions, buy goods and services and exchange money across borders without involving banks, credit card issuers or other third parties. Criminals like bitcoin for the same reasons.

Speculative investors have jumped into the bitcoin fray, too, sending the currency's value fluctuating wildly in recent months. In December, the value of a single bitcoin hit an all-time high of $1,200. It was around $665 on Thursday, according to the website bitcoincharts.com. Bloggers have speculated that bitcoin's creator is worth hundreds of millions of dollars in bitcoin.

House swarmed by reporters

After Newsweek posted the story on its website early Thursday, Nakamoto said his home was bombarded by phone calls. By mid-morning, a dozen reporters were waiting outside the modest two-story home on the residential street in Temple City, Calif., where he lives. He emerged shortly after noon saying he wanted to speak with one reporter only and asked for a "free lunch."

Bitcoin founder denial
    Media swarmed around Nakamoto's home after Newsweek identified him as the digital currency's creator. (David McNew/Reuters)

During a car ride – which some media organizations called a “freeway car chase” between Nakamoto and journalists -- and then later over sushi lunch at the AP bureau in downtown Los Angeles, Nakamoto spoke at length about his life, career and family, addressing many of the assertions in Newsweek's piece.

He also said a key portion of the piece — where he is quoted telling the reporter on his doorstep before two police officers, "I am no longer involved in that and I cannot discuss it" — was misunderstood.

Nakamoto said he is a native of Beppu, Japan who came to the U.S. as a child in 1959. He speaks both English and Japanese, but his English isn't flawless. Asked if he said the quote, Nakamoto responded, "no."

"I'm saying I'm no longer in engineering. That's it," he said of the exchange. "And even if I was, when we get hired, you have to sign this document, contract saying you will not reveal anything we divulge during and after employment. So that's what I implied."

Newsweek writer Leah McGrath Goodman, who spent two months researching the story, told the AP: "I stand completely by my exchange with Mr. Nakamoto. There was no confusion whatsoever about the context of our conversation — and his acknowledgment of his involvement in bitcoin."

The magazine pulled together its thesis on the creator's identity by matching Nakamoto's name, educational history, career, anti-government bent and writing style to the alleged creator of bitcoin. It also quoted Nakamoto's estranged wife and other family members who said they weren't sure he is the creator.

Media hoopla

Several times during the interview with AP, Nakamoto mistakenly referred to the currency as "bitcom," and as a single company, which it is not. He said he's never heard of Gavin Andresen, a leading bitcoin developer who told Newsweek he'd worked closely with the person or entity known as "Satoshi Nakamoto" in developing the system, but that they never met in person or spoke on the phone.

Bitcoin Founder-Denial
    Nakamoto, who has an engineering background, explained to the AP that anyone could have programmed bitcoin, but repeatedly said it wasn't him. (Damian Dovarganes/AP)

When shown the original bitcoin proposal that Newsweek linked to in its story, Nakamoto said he didn't write it, and said the email address in the document wasn't his.

"Peer-to-peer can be anything," he said. "That's just a matter of address. What the hell? It doesn't make sense to me."

Asked if he was technically able to come up with the idea for bitcoin, Nakamoto responded: "Capability? Yes, but any programmer could do that."

As he pored over the Newsweek story with a reporter, Nakamoto repeatedly said "oh jeez," as he read private details about himself, quotes from family members and even specifics from his medical history.

"How long is this media hoopla going to last?" he said.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

worst case scenario is that she gets laid off and newsweek happily reaps the profits of their/her attention whoring. it will make a nice bullet point on her resume.

Ridill
    BG Level

the worst case scenario for newsweek is pretty fucking bad considering this is their return to print after giving up on it but failing at replacing it with internet

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Every article and stupid Reddit post about Bitcoin trading/speculation is just making me so excited for when traders decide to actually enter the market. People are going to get ripped apart and it's going to be beautiful.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    The problem is that credit and check cards work just fine.
    Seriously?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 111 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag