BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    What is the auto loan impending crisis that I'm not seeing here?

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

This is what I do for a living.

A large driver of the economy has been the fact that money has been free (or near enough not to matter) for nearly 6 years. QE and staggeringly low rates have caused a rabid hunt for yield and once again driven banks/lenders/institutions to push into heavier risk areas like subprime auto, credit cards, and more esoteric products in a much larger way.

I'm not crying wolf, I'm not saying the entire world is going to end tomorrow. We are entering a phase of terrible uncertainty and likely large negative moves in the market. There are huge areas of risk that are not sheltered from market conditions and when money gets more expensive and rates rise, we'll see some extreme situations arise in the market.

Also, it's disingenuous to say student loans aren't a huge looming issue. It's the second largest debt market after mortgages with a climbing default rate and higher per-student debt levels. The boom in for-profit colleges can be attributed to a similar thirst for yield among lenders. These schools get federal loans for lower credit level students who will likely never graduate and even if they do, never see any benefit from the money they've borrowed. You can see the spiral that causes.

The QE house of cards is ready to collapse. Watching it go from down 900 to down 1500 today in the matter of a minute or so was crazy.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

i should really shut up
    You can safely ignore me I am a troll

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Fiye View Post
    Optimism can be taken away pretty easily though.

2600klub
    I donated 5 bucks and all I got was this shitty title from Zet

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Arkanna View Post
    Lmao!

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

a crypto article comment from today - had to post it cause lambo

"we dont do debt in crypto land..eth into fiat and buy the lambo/house cash..no worries, pile in today weak noobs giving their bags away.."

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

It's worth saying that I truly don't understand anyone actually losing money during this latest crash. You haven't lost anything until you take your money out and I've actually increased my holdings in a number of currencies for absolutely zero dollars. If you assume the market will recover even halfway, which I do, I've created money out of nothing but thin air and others' dumbass decisions.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by SathFenrir View Post
    It's worth saying that I truly don't understand anyone actually losing money during this latest crash. You haven't lost anything until you take your money out and I've actually increased my holdings in a number of currencies for absolutely zero dollars. If you assume the market will recover even halfway, which I do, I've created money out of nothing but thin air and others' dumbass decisions.
    People lose confidence in the market and pull their money out. If it craters completely, they don't lose everything. Pretty simple concept.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Obviously some people think it will go lower and are fleeing further losses.

I worry more about further damaging regulatory actions that reduce the number of people able to participate in Cryptocurrency at all, like we just saw in China. Feels like a big downside risk that has nothing to do with the underlying "value" or lack thereof.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by SathFenrir View Post
    If you had something valued at $100, and at the end of the day it is now $69, then you lost money. Just because you didn't literally have the money in your possession to lose doesn't mean you didn't just lose money.

If you lose 10% of the value on your home, it doesn't mean you didn't lose money because you haven't sold it yet.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Spicyryan View Post
    If you had something valued at $100, and at the end of the day it is now $69, then you lost money. Just because you didn't literally have the money in your possession to lose doesn't mean you didn't just lose money.

If you lose 10% of the value on your home, it doesn't mean you didn't lose money because you haven't sold it yet.
    Yeah, marking to market is the formal term for it.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

But no one cares about value until you need that liquidity. Until you actually cash out your coins you haven't actually lost anything. Maybe in opportunity cost, but even then you should be hodling or day trading, no one should be cashing out at these levels.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Scrappy Doo
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I'm just glad xlm is slowly catching up to cRIPPLE, it stayed at exactly 1/3 for a long time

i should really shut up

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    But no one cares about value until you need that liquidity. Until you actually cash out your coins you haven't actually lost anything. Maybe in opportunity cost, but even then you should be hodling or day trading, no one should be cashing out at these levels.

I'll just hold this Lucent stock till it goes back up to the 50s. It's all good.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

The money aint yours until you cash out homeboy. The money ain't theirs until you do either.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zeota Fourier
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Looks like the SEC/CFTC hearing did happen.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurre...made_the_most/

Dude friggin' said "Buy and HODL!"

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

My takeaways are:

ICO's are illegal.

Blockchain is great.

All current crypto platforms are essentially functioning as money-transmission services and the SEC/CFTC aren't OK with it.

Otherwise there's not much here that wasn't already known.

Still of the opinion that cryptocurrency is completely unnecessary and blockchain tech is the only useful part.

All good news as far as the legitimacy and future of any crypto platforms go (even currency-based).
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Giancarlo; Chairman of the FTC
    During the almost 20 years of 'do no harm' regulation, a massive amount of investment was made in the Internet’s infrastructure... 'Do no harm' was unquestionably the right approach to development of the Internet. Similarly, I believe that 'do no harm' is the right overarching approach for distributed ledger technology.
    Essentially, they're not planning to ban or get in the way of anything here, but they are going to start nailing down & enforcing regulations to ensure that this space follows the same rules as everyone else. ICO's being the biggest violator. Proper reporting of gains/losses and tax liabilities likely to follow soon after. Etc.

This is all a good thing.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag