2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by BaneTheBrawler View Post
    "You know nothing."
    I was thinking more along of the lines "Tonight you die." Beautiful dog but it looks like it's plotting your demise.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Litz Zatsuza
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Please do some extensive research before you try a raw diet for your dog. It does not just consist of giving your dog scraps of expired meat. It needs to be a balanced amount of (non expired, non nasty) muscle meat, organs, bone, veggies, supplements, etc in order for them to get the proper nutrition. Depending on how much you get into it, it can be quite expensive and time consuming.

Banned.

BG Level

Sigh, no veggies and deffo no supplements are required. YOU should do some research.

Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

take this elsewhere, you all sound retarded. or, simply agree to disagree. I'm more worried about that GSD, is it still alive?

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

So back around September I got my first puppy and she's a GSD. She was about ~12 weeks old when I got her. She's around 6 months now. The first two months were hell with the potty training, but now she's over that. Have done some training with her and she is now the best dog I have ever had. My parents always had dogs and were never half as good as she is now.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

New question my girl just turned 8 months (gsd) and she's starting to get very protective of the yard. We bought her a tie out stake thing that you screw into the ground and has a 50 foot cable attached so when she's outside alone she's confined to the yard. Today she was outside for about 30 minutes and walked outside and a neighbors little dog was on our back pourch (my dog can get on the pourch but the neighbors dog was just out of her reach) , needless to say my dog wasn't happy with it being in her yard. I plan on talking to the neighbors and telling them to keep their dog on their property and explaining that I don't want their dog to get hurt. I'm pretty sure I'm not at fault if my dog were to kill theirs (as long as my dog is constrained to my yard and theirs is trespassing In my yard) I wouldn't be at fault, but is there anything else I can do to help reduce my liability for other animals and even possibly human tresspassirs? (Note I don't think it will ever be a issue but airing on the side of caution) other than that she's been an amazing dog, ty for all the advice

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Laws vary so it would depend on where you live, but you could very well be held responsible, even if it was on your property.

Dogs need to be socialized and around other dogs so they learn to be less agressive, same goes with people. The less they're around other dogs/people the more protective they become, especially in a place she views as her territory.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

In florida, you wouldn't face consequences if your animal kills another animal on your property (don't know about your state). A person is still a person though, and if a dog bites a human more then likely they'll be put down, or the owner faces many fines and a court mandate saying the dog must be muzzled at all times in public (or face even more fines, fees, etc).

Your best bet is to just take the dog to a dog park a couple times a week and get her used to being around dogs with out acting like a dog.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

shes not aggressive towards other dogs or people, shes very well socialized. Its more of a territorial thing. If im with her (even outside in the yard) and another dog comes around shes 100% fine its what ever. Only time it would ever possibly be a issue is if it came around when she was outside alone. Also while on the topic my room mate has like 10 friends that come often fairly regularly, to the point that we just leave the door unlocked and they let them selves in and go to his room. will this ever be a issue later on with her thinking its an intruder? I assume since shes seen the same people doing it over and over since she was 3 months it wouldn't be a problem but just figured id ask. Would she react different to someone else walking into the house uninvited? Dogs are suppose to have a good judge of character so i assume that would be a different case but just curious.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Fair game if the dog wanders into your yard unattended. My neighbor's two little rats always shit in my yard. I've warned her repeatedly that she needs to keep them on her property for their own safety. One day my 85 pound pitbull is going to rough them up. He likes all other dogs. Except these two little shit stains.

King Bitcher of Bitchington
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Chuggs M'koul
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

You're not at fault. If your dog is in your contained back yard and some idiot isn't keeping watch of their shiteater than it can't be helped. Your little sugarplum is doing what comes natural and there's nothing really wrong with that or to worry about.

regarding the friends coming in thing. It could be a problem but who knows. if she has their scent and knows she might not care but she could care on any day. The friends should know you have a dog that has guard instincts and needs to be aware not to burst in running and screaming or something. I don't think it should be an issue.

if you want to be extra careful, have everyone introduce themselves to the dog so she knows em and can get a feel for em.

Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

it may just be me, but this does not sound like a good place for a GSD to be.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Abandon View Post
    it may just be me, but this does not sound like a good place for a GSD to be.
    I was just thinking the same thing.

EDIT: Just FYI, my uncle had a GSD that was able to pull the stakes out of the ground without much effort and jumped/climbed over a 10ft chain link fence. If your dog does get off the lead it can be your fault when she runs into the street or a neighbor's yard.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Tokitoki View Post
    I was just thinking the same thing.

EDIT: Just FYI, my uncle had a GSD that was able to pull the stakes out of the ground without much effort and jumped/climbed over a 10ft chain link fence. If your dog does get off the lead it can be your fault when she runs into the street or a neighbor's yard.
    Yeah fences are useless with her. She was able to climb a 7ft fence when she was 5 months. Got the highest weighted stake u could but it's only a temporary thing and rarely use it. Quest was more of a "worst case scenario type thing"

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

If it's only a stake you're putting in the ground I can see how a dog could rip it out, but the stake I bought had 2 "plates" you could call them at the bottom of the stake, and you had to drill it into the ground like an auger basically, it went roughly 3.5 feet into the ground, don't see how a dog could rip that out.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

The power dogs no, but the diggers have a chance.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

All my uncle's dog did was run back and forth all day in teh yard and try to jump the fence. You can see his path from the air...

This is definitely an old picture from Google Maps cause the pool has been gone for years and the yard is not nearly as dug up, but you can see his run path in the backyard above the pool.