+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Did you give the dog and cat cloth with their smells on it first?

Gotta take a bit sometimes to introduce each other.

Find an area you can put all the cat things that are separate from the dog things (litter, food, etc.). So they feel they have a safe place to get away from each other.

Let them smell things first so they get used to the idea there's another pet around.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Some what did. The cat wont be a problem. He's 6 and lived with a dog for 4 years. The puppy is where the stand off comes in. She's doing OK though... was fine until the cat jumped up on the couch behind her and it scared the pics out of her

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

These would make great YouTube videos...just sayin.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Lol maybe I'll record some and Txt it 2 u

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

my dog has a bag that she travels in, and my cousin's cat has a carrier. each is their "safe place" and we introduced them that way. Cat didn't notice the dog at first, was walking around normally, found dog, was extremely alarmed. dog was curious but more interested in people. eventually cat got close enough to interact; dog stuck her nose out to sniff, cat swatted it (no claws), dog snorted in disgust and has completely ignored the cat ever since (seriously won't even look at her, acts like she isn't there). cat still gets alarmed, and stays out of the way of the dog. shoulda recorded it, that snort was so eloquent.

also, have lots of high-up places (that you and the cat can reach, but not the dog) that are OK for the cat to be on. that way it always has a retreat.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Aylee View Post
    Some what did. The cat wont be a problem. He's 6 and lived with a dog for 4 years. The puppy is where the stand off comes in. She's doing OK though... was fine until the cat jumped up on the couch behind her and it scared the pics out of her
    You may enjoy this:

Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

rofl

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    You may enjoy this:

I saw this the other day and was going to post it too. Really funny.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

My oldest cat does that to my dog. Just sits in a fucking doorway waiting. I love how they always take a swipe at the dog as they run past. Cats are fucking evil.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

God little bitch being a handfull... she's still having 1-1-2 accidents a day (take her out every 1-1-2 hours but she should be able to hold it for 3, although she never poops in the house only pees). She's gotten. A faddish of eating g her shit over past 2 days... we pull her back and say no when she tries but hard to see where she has shit. Horrible about chewing on things and feet. We stop her, tell her no, and then put her bone in her mouth but not making a difference at all.

Oh and the cat wants to eat her food and She doesn't like it.... oh and she wants to play with the cat and he ain't having it. She barks non stop saying play with me (she wagging her tail and shit)

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Take her out more often. It doesn't hurt to take her out and saying that "she should be able to hold it for 3 hours" doesn't help you or the dog. If they need to pee, they need to pee. Eventually when she actually can better control her bladder she will only be going out every x hours and will signal it on her own.

As far as eating poop, make sure to clean it up after she goes. If it isn't there she can't eat it. Other than that you have to make sure she understands not to do so by continuing to discipline her.

Not sure what to do about chewing on things other than to make her toys/bones more enticing. The dogs my family has had never had a problem with chewing on items they shouldn't be.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

This is the reason people who have never had a dog before should get one that's out of the asshole puppy stage lol. Chewing on things is normal. It will take some time to curtail. Eating their own poop or cat poop is something every dog will do at least once. My dog is three and he still goes after the cat's litter box. The cat and puppy may never get along. One of our cats is indifferent towards the dog. The other cat hates him with the fire of a thousand suns. Take her out a little more often. Instead of letting her out in the yard, take her for a short walk. Dogs will pee until there's nothing left and still try to go so they can mark territory. It's an easy way to make sure she's completely empty. Dogs can get distracted in their yard thinking it's play time and not bathroom time.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

I think we've been lucky as far as chewing/nipping. We've had a Fox Terrier, a Standard Poodle, two Toy Poodles, and a Miniature Schnauzer and none had a problem with biting/chewing/nipping. The closest we have is the Schnauzer that will let you put your hand in his mouth to play, but never closes is mouth at all.

So the little brown guy from above got adopted, drat. The idea of a Shepard/Rottie mix scared the landlord thinking it would be a huge dog. He's hesitant to have any "big" dogs because the last guy that had the apartment had an adult Mastiff and a Mastiff puppy.

The girlfriend just found another puppy, a Shetland Sheepdog mix, that we are going to look at tonight. She's a bit older, about 5 months, but that's fine with us as she knows basic commands and will be out of baby phase. She's definitely got some Shepard or something in her. She's 15lbs now, I'm guessing she may be 20 or so.

I'm leaving it up to the girlfriend at this point. We moved into the new apartment with a yard and she gets a puppy; that was the deal.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

That's a cute pooch.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

That dog looks pissed, but cute lol.

Started picking up her shit and taking her out every hour. She's having 1 accident a day... Every day. She likes the cat and tries to play with him but the cat is just old and doesn't wanna fuck with her. The main problem between them is that he wants to eat her dog food... and she doesn't like it... I'm really scared this will lead to growling and stuff later in life when she is eating

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Aylee View Post
    That dog looks pissed, but cute lol.

Started picking up her shit and taking her out every hour. She's having 1 accident a day... Every day. She likes the cat and tries to play with him but the cat is just old and doesn't wanna fuck with her. The main problem between them is that he wants to eat her dog food... and she doesn't like it... I'm really scared this will lead to growling and stuff later in life when she is eating
    Do you just leave the dog food out? One way to avoid this (and you should do this anyway) is to set feeding times where you put the food in the bowl. Dog should gobble it it up that way, and you can move the cat away while she's doing it.

Also, all these problems...DID YOU SIGN HER UP FOR PUPPY TRAINING YET? A lot of this can be discussed with the trainer and they can help guide you. This is why I am so adamant about trainers for new owners (even old owners can often learn a thing or two).

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Don't leave dog food sitting out all day. Most dogs will literally eat until they get sick. Have scheduled feeding times. My dog eats at 5:30am, 3:30pm, and 7:30pm. Every day. That never changes unless we're out of the house for whatever reason. Grazing also can cause their pooping/peeing to be sporadic, which can lead to accidents. I feed my dog every time he comes in from being outside. He always shits/pees around the above listed times.

This stuff isn't fool proof. Dogs will still have accidents. It happens. They're dogs.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    Do you just leave the dog food out? One way to avoid this (and you should do this anyway) is to set feeding times where you put the food in the bowl. Dog should gobble it it up that way, and you can move the cat away while she's doing it.

Also, all these problems...DID YOU SIGN HER UP FOR PUPPY TRAINING YET? A lot of this can be discussed with the trainer and they can help guide you. This is why I am so adamant about trainers for new owners (even old owners can often learn a thing or two).
    Yes first training day is Monday at 3. Once she gets done with the basic stuff my friend is going to help train her as a guard dog (she trains them at the police department). I tried feeding times but she won't eat. She HAS to be with me. If I do feeding times she eats for 5 seconds runs to me then back for 4-5 times... she won't actually eat a lot and I feel like she is starving because she eats like 1/2 a bowl a day. I have even tried siting by the food bowl and she wants in my lap other than eating

Banned.

BG Level

Free feeding is terrible and you should feel bad.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Tajin View Post
    Free feeding is terrible and you should feel bad.
    I do... but at the same time I don't want her to starve

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast