1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 10 hours, 12 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 13 hours, 47 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 3 hours, 12 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 6 hours, 47 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Titan Extreme Mode     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Akirra Krylon
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

I kind of like the everyone gather at 6 o'clock and then have OT dodge right x2 - this gives him time to get enough hate on gaolers even if a DPS or healer steals it momentarily during bomb explosions.

I will suggest that/try it myself if I am tanking. Thanks for the tip!

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Serenseven Dertavernen
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by AkirraKrylon View Post
    So after many many many fail groups that couldn't even consistently get to heart phase, I finally got in a group last night that was getting past heart every single time.

Then we absolutely hit a wall with adds. IDK if the paladin pulling the gaolers was doing something wrong or if we were not standing in the right positions at the right times, but every time they came out and the cardinal direction/corner bombs popped, everyone panics. The gaolers start running all over the place. Bombs kill people. Off tank can't get the gaolers back in position. They end up dying in the middle of the arena and we are down 2-3 members and it's a wipe.

Is this a typical spot for groups to hit a wall at? We literally had everyone in the party dodge every single attack prior to that phase on every attempt, and then wipe right there over and over and over.
    There are basically three "walls" post-heart. The first is the adds, which for some reason cause players who had been doing perfectly fine up until then to completely lose their shit. The second is the row bombs, which to be fair can be tricky if the last row comes down north (assuming Titan is being tanked north). The third is super bombs, although that's just a DPS check.

As far as getting past the adds, the big thing for DPS at least to realize is that even though there's a ton of shit going on, they only need to focus on a small bit of it: the S and SE (or SW) bombs, the one Landslide that is aimed at them, and the position of the Gaolers so that they don't die badly placed. You can block the other 7 bombs and the other 4 Landslides from your mind. In this same line of thinking, turn your Party Graphics Effects to Limited or Off to further reduce the amount of extraneous visual information your brain has to process and discard.

Having the DPS alternate Gaolers after every two or three attacks will usually prevent them from coming loose from the OT. You don't want one of them dead too early anyway, as it often gets the OT stuck in a Sludge pool with a Landslide incoming.

Also, after the cardinal bombs go off, stay stacked in the south until plumes appear. Too many times I've seen one or two members go into the center too early, causing plumes to spawn over the entire southern half of the platform, leading to a stupid wipe. The only exception to this is if one of the Gaolers has come loose and is pointing a Landslide at the group, then you dodge left together, and again wait to move to center until plumes appear.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Akirra Krylon
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Good point about the plumes post bomb explosions...I forgot to mention that as another point of pain. That coupled with the gaoler death placement being terrible was pretty much our biggest issue.

Finding 7 other people to keep all this stuff in mind is the hardest part of this fight....

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Akirra Krylon
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Well, the strategy to bring gaolers south with the whole party and then dodge Southeast and then East worked perfectly last night so thank you for that suggestion Seravi! I made sure I had 5 stacks of wrath before they spawn, pop a steel cyclone, infuriate, steel cyclone again, and they don't even think about budging off of me. Holds them without question until they die. I throw out another overpower once I get them East just for good measure.

With that said, got the win and on to Ifrit now

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Argantes View Post
    Earlier today I was told to swap right after MB, while I prefer to wait till after Landslide. Just to make sure one of us doesn't become the target for landslide putting us both at risk of being knocked off.
    I had to double check this thread to see if I was crazy or this tank was crazy:

Is there another reason why Titan would LS the tanks? It happened again after that wipe too.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Akirra Krylon
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Swapping tanks after LS is the only way to do it if you ask me. Swapping immediately after a MB is risky because like you said it could put 1 or both tanks at risk. It's not like Ifrit - Titan is scripted so heavily that there is no reason not to swap at very specific times.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Carraway Author
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    Is there another reason why Titan would LS the tanks? It happened again after that wipe too.
    Titan will target anyone other than #1 on the threat list with Landslide, so if you try to transition during a Landslide, it is possible he'll aim it towards both tanks as they switch positions.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shanoa Varhara
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by AkirraKrylon View Post
    Swapping tanks after LS is the only way to do it if you ask me. Swapping immediately after a MB is risky because like you said it could put 1 or both tanks at risk. It's not like Ifrit - Titan is scripted so heavily that there is no reason not to swap at very specific times.
    Ifrit is just as heavily scripted. Swapping after MB would have to be very fast to avoid any LS shenanigans which is why it's better to just wait.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Ok good to know the bigger details and also I know I am not crazy.

I'll try to articulate it better if I get into another group like that.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Yeah it's more just that Titan isn't going anywhere for a good 5 seconds during Upheaval or Landslide, so it's less of a hassle to switch during those times. People still think they need a massive amount of room to dodge Landslide for some reason. I blame it on people playing non-Lala races :3

a p. sweet dude
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Carraway View Post
    Titan will target anyone other than #1 on the threat list with Landslide, so if you try to transition during a Landslide, it is possible he'll aim it towards both tanks as they switch positions.
    It's still avoidable even if he aims one straight back, but sometimes the safe zones can be pretty damn small.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

As I've heard someone say once, it can be like standing on a slice of pizza.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kirby Prime
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

From the start of Titan Ex. assuming average ( not the best ) party.

First swap can happen right after titan jumps back down.

Therefore after, until post heart, you should wait until after landslide or during gaolers to do it.

Post heart, from what I remember, it's usually MB > Stomps so it's safe to swap whenever.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Aeris Ashe
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl

For some reason every team I'm on consistently has trouble with arguably the easiest mechanic: stacking on top of each other for Weight of the Lands. Because of this I find myself facing a four-leaf clover of plumes at times and end up getting hit by one. I can eat it just fine and keep on trucking but it puts extra stress on the healers to top me off again. My question: think it'd be worth it to switch from Artemis Zenith to Bow of Crags for the earth resistance, or is the DPS loss too significant? I'm looking for any way I can take some pressure off the healers on the occasion i get hit by one but I have no idea how much earth resistance affects Titan's damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeris Ashe View Post
    For some reason every team I'm on consistently has trouble with arguably the easiest mechanic: stacking on top of each other for Weight of the Lands. Because of this I find myself facing a four-leaf clover of plumes at times and end up getting hit by one. I can eat it just fine and keep on trucking but it puts extra stress on the healers to top me off again. My question: think it'd be worth it to switch from Artemis Zenith to Bow of Crags for the earth resistance, or is the DPS loss too significant? I'm looking for any way I can take some pressure off the healers on the occasion i get hit by one but I have no idea how much earth resistance affects Titan's damage.
    The choices are stacking for plumes and risk a 1 shot death occasionally or spread out and risk eating 1. As long as you aren't eating damage from every single thing Titan does your healers will manage, even more so with Ballad.

I dunno why people aren't capable of looking at the position of the people in their party and figuring out where the best safe spots are. Usually there's a ton of safe space in front of Titan which most people don't even take advantage of. Dodge more and try using some foresight (it's really easy to see where plumes are gonna pop).

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Stacking resistance is a wasted effort even without considering the weapon downgrade. Just ballparking, if you filled every single slot with earth resistance you'd still probably only take ~10% less damage. Maybe not even that.

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    I dunno why people aren't capable of looking at the position of the people in their party and figuring out where the best safe spots are.
    This. People tend to follow guides to a T. If you are not on top of the rest of the party for whatever reason, their brain shuts down and they blame you for their death. Had an MT in Garuda Ex rage on us when the OT said he'll grab Suprana instead of Chirada because "this is not how it's supposed to be."

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Aeris Ashe
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    I dunno why people aren't capable of looking at the position of the people in their party and figuring out where the best safe spots are.
    If it was as simple as that, sure. For most of the fight it is that simple and that's why people are so lazy about it on my server I think. But then when the double weight of the lands hit after the gaolers and people scatter at every angle it becomes a nightmare to dodge that second wave add in the sludge on the ground from the gaolers and its just not happenin. You'd probably have to see it to believe it, when I say lazy stacking I pretty much mean no-stacking so it becomes crazy The solution to that problem is obviously just to find better players so I'm not worried about that, I was just curious if the earth resistance would actually help or not

Thanks for answering my question on that Seravi

Final Fantasy XI Music Devotee

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vianne Nys
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Aeris Ashe View Post
    If it was as simple as that, sure. For most of the fight it is that simple and that's why people are so lazy about it on my server I think. But then when the double weight of the lands hit after the gaolers and people scatter at every angle it becomes a nightmare to dodge that second wave add in the sludge on the ground from the gaolers and its just not happenin. You'd probably have to see it to believe it, when I say lazy stacking I pretty much mean no-stacking so it becomes crazy The solution to that problem is obviously just to find better players so I'm not worried about that, I was just curious if the earth resistance would actually help or not
    In my experience double plumes is one of the things that people have less of a tendency to screw up. As you said people tend to scramble off to different angles, but the spot where people were stacking at will most likely be clear to step back to it and avoid the 2nd set of plumes.

The double plumes really aren't dangerous at all as long as everyone's together for the initial ones, you can scatter in any direction you want because you know the spot you all started at will be clear.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast