FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kaslo View Post
    Hey Mina! What streaming software do you use? If it's OBS can I see your setup? I liked the organization of the Earthbound video for non-widescreen games.
    I do use OBS! When I get home I can upload my setup for you.

The key thing is that on the Scene names I include resolution dimensions for what it is.

So my scenes would look like:
    INTRO
    HDMI Full - Size x Size
    HDMI w/ Chat
    HDMI w/ Webcam
    HDMI w/ Chat + Webcam
    SNES Full - Size x Size
    PAUSE
    END

and you get the idea. If I don't use one of the menus or hate the layout I will delete it but I always keep the Resolution scene name.

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Yeah I'm just getting into OBS and working on my layouts. There are a ton of things I wish OBS had as a part of its system, like locking proportions when resizing (through the menu).

I hope to actually do my first LP Stream this Saturday but working on getting everything fine tuned before then (I'm not counting my streaming directly from PS4 as real streaming)

Wild Card
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mina Pulchra
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal
    Blog Entries

Sure I can help! Xsplit has a lot of quality of life features but I firmly believe anything that can be done on there can be achieved through OBS. (Well... most)
    I'll share with you my OBS settings (props to TBR and Callisto).

Some questions:
    1) Are you using an emulator/PC game? What resolution sizes are you dealing with?
    2) Do you want to have a webcam? a chat window? or do you just want the game full screened?
    3) Is there a specific resolution you want your game to be displayed at?
    4) Are you streaming to twitch? to hitbox? or just recording to make edits before uploading to youtube?

Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Mina View Post
    Sure I can help! Xsplit has a lot of quality of life features but I firmly believe anything that can be done on there can be achieved through OBS. (Well... most)
    I'll share with you my OBS settings (props to TBR and Callisto).

Some questions:
    1) Are you using an emulator/PC game? What resolution sizes are you dealing with?
    2) Do you want to have a webcam? a chat window? or do you just want the game full screened?
    3) Is there a specific resolution you want your game to be displayed at?
    4) Are you streaming to twitch? to hitbox? or just recording to make edits before uploading to youtube?
    Well I got an el gato last week that I've been playing with (hate it for PS3, but 360 seemed to work fine, haven't tested the Wii U or PS4 yet) but I learned how to get it setup to pull it into OBS. But I plan on downloading some games on steam to play as well. So I will need to work on setups for both.

I have a camera through my iMac that I'll be using.

I like how you have a chat window incorporated, but not sure if I would use one yet (because no one will likely watch haha)

I plan to stream to twitch, and record for editting to send to youtube in multiple videos (if that's possible)

Wild Card
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mina Pulchra
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal
    Blog Entries

No problem! The best thing to realize is you want to make sure you maximize whatever resolution space you have.

I like having a 16:9 video which not every game screen is capable of making without some negative space. So it's a matter of how to deal with that negative space. You can either fill it with things like where to follow you, or view more of your videos, or perhaps the webcam/chat/game box art.

I find using a template is the best way for me to handle this. Open an art program or Paint and make it the resolution you want. From there divide up the space with lines.
    EX: I use a 16:9 size of 1980 x 1020. SNES resolutions are 256 x 224 typically. So that size can roughly go into my 16:9 by four and a half times (1152 x 1008) leaving 12 pixels in the ???? zone which I use for the 6 pixel black border.
    Whoops I added the 5 to the 1152 when I was counting the lines over in the paint so I wrote it incorrectly below XD

The end result is something like this:

The blue line represents where the SNES window is going to end up JUST overlapping. Next to the blue line I would make other boxes like, red/purple/orange that represent how my other resolutions fit in. It's important that I don't make the resolutions wonky or I end up with ugly looking images. I fill in with small black borders as necessary.

From there I fill in the inside of the lines with the fill tool of a lighter color.
    Even though the lines look jagged, I assure you they are straight. I'm just zoomed out real far and it's jaggedy.

Edit: that should say 1152, I added 5 to that number when I was trying to count carefully over the lines. Derp derp.

Having nice clean templates makes things work better. I don't have my webcam resolution size or I'd post it here.

If it helps, first make a PNG or whatever with the resolution size that you plan on messing with. make the box and fill it in with the resolution name. Then make another image with the resolution you are going to be displaying. Now move the box around in that environment.

Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Ahhh why didn't I think of doing a template background to work off of! Thanks for that idea!

Wild Card
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mina Pulchra
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal
    Blog Entries

Yup! If you're really savvy you can have another layer for an overlay which will cover up any ugliness. You need to work with transparency ofc.
    Your video will not suffer from being a bad resolution as long as you do the math right and your stream will look very professional. In the case of not having a chatty chat or a webcam I would put box art there or I would center the SNES video and throw character art on the sides. Of course that's only if I'm using a 16:9 resolution. It just depends.

I keep a folder on my desktop of different layout templates and it's a good habit to write down the resolutions you are using so that way at a later date you don't fuss with trying to figure out what sizes things were intended to be.

Wild Card
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mina Pulchra
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal
    Blog Entries

It's been a loooonnnng time since I updated this. I'm running on empty after several hours of editing.

Persona 5 Blind Let's Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...VgNE8ru6YG3Sc5
    Status: Incomplete, in progress as of 7/11/2017, up to episode 59.

Zero Time Dilemma Blind Let's Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...wvpcuz9M40pPQF

Zelda Breath of The Wild: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uaPon1uzzI
    Title: "It Takes Skill"
    Runtime: 3m25sec

Ghost Trick Playlist:
    Status: Recording is 100% Completed, Editing is in progress.

Danganronpa Trigger Happy Havoc Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...NsJ_Tz0XKBIq7z

Wild Card
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mina Pulchra
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal
    Blog Entries

Happy news! I made affiliate on Twitch!
    I'm streaming regularly Monday thru Friday from 9AM to 5PM central (with a lunch break squeezed in there somewhere).

:D Come sit chat and or just use my twitch chat for background noise and help a BGer out!

Did I mention I have a cat cam?