+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast

haters gonna hate

Quite a few of misconceptions and a bunch of troll-posts that need to be cleared up and addressed properly:

Quote Originally Posted by Ridill View Post
    If you like playing on a handout server this is a great place to start as there's no HNMLS and the GM gives out free Ridills and Byakko's Haidate to players who didn't earn them. No linkshell is capable of doing end-game but yet they have the items. lol
    At the time this asshat posted there had been at least 2 HNMLS running events for about 6 months and a number of people had already gotten their Ridill and Haidate legit.

Also, Nasomi has always been extremely adamant in regards to his "you ain't gonna get shit from me" policy, heck, even though I've been playing on the server for nearly a year and, despite being one of the most prominent endgame players, I still do not own a Ridill.

In fact I have yet to see Nasomi help anyone unless they were stuck due to bugs or glitches or something not working as intended (and even then, it usually takes a while unless it's something that breaks the game for a moltitude of people, cause he's generally busy fixing all the stuff that breaks on monthly basis due to SE updates), to claim that he used to help people gain sought after items in order for them to advance faster through the game is, let me tell ya, flat out ridiculous.

Case in point, up until a couple of months ago we lacked so many crafted items that were generally regarded as common (and thus, borderline worthless) in retail around this era, simply because there were no crafters high enough to make them;

players requested on several occasions for said items to be put up on sale either at AH or at NPC's, Nas' answer however was basically "tough cookie, you're on your own".

Bye the way, apparently, here's how this guy came up with this bs:

Servers are also laggy and the GM makes up excuses "building new storage in the basement for new servers" because he probably doesn't have the funds to upgrade the server. Just an overall waste of time on this server.
    Nasomi's been sinking a ridiculous amount of money into this project out of his own pocket and he doesn't accept donations either so funds really aren't an issue.

He's also been working his ass off for the past few months to remodel his basement around the servers rack, which is something that, imho, deserves mad props and respect.

The basement is finished now though, the new servers are in place and lag is 100% gone. In fact, I'm experiencing way less lag and R0's upon zoning on here than I did in retail back in 2004.

Quote Originally Posted by Ridill View Post
    You can IP ban me from the forums/server and or facebook but your players deserve to know you just give your "select favorites" free stuff. No reason to be mad just leaving an honest review. ^_^
    To my knowledge he's never given anyone anything, odds are that he banned you for using add-ons or 3rd party tools (cheating is not allowed on the server and there's no way you can get away with it with such a tight-knit community and relatively modest playerbase) and you made a troll-account on BG to talk shit as a sort of payback. GG?

Quote Originally Posted by Nightplague View Post
    Do you enjoy a server that crashes when you make too big pulls in dynamis?
    Used to happen on the temp servers, hasn't happened in a while (pretty much ever since we switched to the new servers).

A server where NM’s spawn conditions are gradually breaking down?
    NM's spawn conditions are the exact same as retail, for the most part, not sure what you're on about.

Also Nasomi has nothing to do with this, it's DSP code that all the private servers draw upon.

A server where the GM will randomly teleport you away from what you were doing and promptly Home Point you?
    A server where the GM may and will kill you, should he grow bored?
    You guys make no sense.

He's so busy implementing and fixing stuff he doesn't even get to play the actual game, why would he waste time randomly homepointing you?

Again, been playing on Nasomi for a little under a year and he's never bothered me, however if you're extremely rude to other people or, generally speaking, a douchebag, he might doom you out of nowhere or make you pvp eligible every now and then for the hell of it, makes for a good collective laugh. Big deal.

That being said, he mostly tries to stay out of it and be the bigger man as much as humanly possible, he might just chime in and remind people not to be dicks to each other or demand not to talk politics or other controversial topics on the server-wide social LS chat and stuff and I've personally seen him acting as mediator between people who had been having arguments (like he'd summon them somwhere and just try to talk things out), so I dunno what you did but if he got on your ass odds are that you probably deserved every bit of it.

He also always gives people a 2nd or 3rd chance even when their misconduct is flagrant and he's way more tolerant toward people than most of us would be if we were in his shoes for sure.

A server where there is just way too many bugs for one person to handle?
    90% of the content that's supposed to be there works as intended. SE updates might break stuff here and there when they hit but the issues are tipically dealt with in a swift manner.

A server whose custom installer is likely to break your FFXI client?
    What did you need the custom installer for if you already had the game installed?

Also, the installer is in beta, try it at your own risk.

How about installing the game the old way instead, I did and it worked flawlessly.

Quote Originally Posted by Nep View Post
    I don't think the guy checks here anymore, and given some of the responses, he sounds pretty fed up with it in general.
    He's just busy running the show and the players are busy enjoying the game. That's why you don't see many posts about it outside the official forum, it sucked us right in and we got hooked in no time, this stuff is the real deal for those who quit around the time WoTG came out.

Doesn't sound like this'll last terribly much longer. =( Things keep swapping around and changing, and the already small playerbase is becoming smaller. The few friends I had playing lost interest with the constant lag(which is why I didn't continue)/crashes/NMs resetting/etc. He lost a lot of people when the books were turned off/taken out/whatever.
    Population is at an all-time high with about 100 people on during peak hours, the lag is gone and the crashes have been dealt with for the most part (an auto-restarter has been put in place and the zones are now split among 5 servers - Dungeon, Endgame, Outside, etc. - in order to contain them).

FoV books removal was necessary to keep the experience true to 2k7 retail.

Having them in place made sense when the server was still in its infancy, it doesn't anymore nowadays with like 80 people on even at 4 AM EST and level sync being enabled.

No clue why your friends lost interest honestly, here's a pertinent excerpt from a post about private servers I made on reddit, that pretty much sums up my experience on Nasomi thus far:

(...) Felt just as rewarding as getting Ebody/Ridill in retail back in 2004~5 tbh.
    Most of the people you see in that video have tank classes at 75 and have been around far longer than I have, thus, for such a coveted, sought after and insanely rare item to go uncontested is something that, personally, I value even more than the drop itself and it also means that there's an underlying level of camaraderie that I haven't been able to experience in any MMO since old retail XI. The bonds are real, you feel like there's actual people behind the characters, the accomplishments are far from weightless.

Quote Originally Posted by Draylo View Post
    The real servers are free right now anyway until the 17th, have some fun on a real game.
    Well, old XI isn't for everyone, gotta give you that.

It's unforgiving, it's grindy, it requires a boatload of dedication and teamwork (even moreso on a low-pop server) and it kicks you in the balls far more often than most people are willing to put up with (all of which acts as a big deterrent for casual players addicted to instant gratification, XIV and post-abyssea docet)...and I wouldn't change a pixel of it cause its inherent difficulty is a big part of what sets it apart from modern "click2win" McMMO's (besides, the struggle makes the rewards all the more sweet, helps cementing the bonds between players and turns virtual achievements into something tangible).

Nasomi is all that and then some, make of it what you will.

tl;dr but

Quote Originally Posted by Retrieving/C.D/Searain View Post
    (all of which acts as a big deterrent for casual players addicted to instant gratification, XIV and post-abyssea docet)
    Clearly there is no middle ground. You either want to be a masochist hell bent on breaking your virtual dick with shit people shouldn't put up with if they had anything better to do or you're a casual who can't live without instant gratification. I mean if we're exaggerating we might as well go big.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    tl;dr but

Clearly there is no middle ground. You either want to be a masochist hell bent on breaking your virtual dick with shit people shouldn't put up with if they had anything better to do or you're a casual who can't live without instant gratification. I mean if we're exaggerating we might as well go big.
    At the moment, you are correct. The experience you recieve is that which the server owner wishes to provide to you. Then you can choose whether it's for you or not. Unfortunately, it's extremely easy to slip from middle ground to to easy or to hard. And no matter what you do, or how you design it, hte players will find the easiest way possible to get the job done. Even though we're grindy, with low drop rates, and slow xp that more or less requires a party, the damned players are having worm parties murdering worms for 300-400xp/kill in party with ranged and magic, and syncing clear from 75 to 15 to do it! Worms are obviously not configured witht he right stats and while i work to find balance, if i do *anything* that makes worms harder, i'm a tyrant. And i'm ok with that. I don't care what you say, 400-500xp/kill off worms getting chain 20 at level 15 is wrong. It's impossible to completely recreate 2005 without the people, so I've had to make some adjustments. With adjustments come balancing issues. I never really appreciated what SE did until I ran my own server. Finding balance is hard, takes a lot of trial and error, and you're the bad guy any time anything gets any harder ever.

That being said, SE also knew something else. SE knew that the player does not want what the player says they want. The player does not know what htey want. Their biggest downfall is listening to hte player, and that's how you get what XI is today.

I'm not out to give players a task, I'm out to give them a home, a place to go and live and adventure and do whatever they want, so long as they behave to a reasonable degree.

The goal is the 2005 experience, but not always the 2005 game. There are some variations that were necessary to adapt. However I try to stay true to the spirit of what the game was back then, because that's my fondest memories.

Thank you searain for addressing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    tl;dr
    In all due respect, hasn't this thread been derailed and trolled enough already?

I'd gladly discuss this at lenght with you given the chance, you might want to open a "casualized Vs oldschool: MMO then and now" thread to debate this matter though cause it has no business being discussed in here.

That being said, SE also knew something else. SE knew that the player does not want what the player says they want. The player does not know what htey want. Their biggest downfall is listening to hte player, and that's how you get what XI is today.
    Going to call bullshit. Players may indeed embrace new ideas one wouldn't commonly see requested, but this also does not mean common requests are invalid, dumb, or some kind of bizarro not-really-what-we-want message.

As for XI being "what it is" today, let's call a spade a spade and just agree SE put it out to pasture to favor their new baby. Abyssea didn't kill it no matter how often the accusation is levied.

Your sandbox, your rules, fine. Though this server seemingly being built on some kind of oldschool intellectual high ground is exactly why I personally stayed away. People don't use terms like "McMMO" with reverence or mean "instant gratification" in a good way. It's basically a slur and an insult to anyone who happens to like the games that fall under that umbrella. Sure, I know not everyone who's "hardcore" thinks this way, but the less I have to see such rhetoric when trawling MMO communities, the happier I'd certainly be. And yeah, some drama might be inevitable, that's the nature of running something you share with others, but let's not pretend bluster like this has done the industry ANY good no matter where it springs up (and too often gets swept under the rug). Preserve the olden experience, that's kosher. Don't nurture its seedy underbelly. Otherwise, you've probably lost players before they'd even register via word of mouth.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

It may not be for you, or plenty of others. I built it how I wanted it, and I built it for me. Anyone who wishes to come play is more than welcome. What made ffxi for me was the community back then. When it changed, I didn't get the same feeling, and that's why I left. There was to much push to find the end game, and ignore everything before that. SE made the game a true adventure to me, and I loved it. End game was just that, the end of the game. Something to do when you're done everything else. The community on the server amazes me though. People work together, and have fun together, I really like how it's turned out.

Quote Originally Posted by arus2001 View Post
    Going to call bullshit. Players may indeed embrace new ideas one wouldn't commonly see requested, but this also does not mean common requests are invalid, dumb, or some kind of bizarro not-really-what-we-want message.

As for XI being "what it is" today, let's call a spade a spade and just agree SE put it out to pasture to favor their new baby. Abyssea didn't kill it no matter how often the accusation is levied.

Your sandbox, your rules, fine. Though this server seemingly being built on some kind of oldschool intellectual high ground is exactly why I personally stayed away. People don't use terms like "McMMO" with reverence or mean "instant gratification" in a good way. It's basically a slur and an insult to anyone who happens to like the games that fall under that umbrella. Sure, I know not everyone who's "hardcore" thinks this way, but the less I have to see such rhetoric when trawling MMO communities, the happier I'd certainly be. And yeah, some drama might be inevitable, that's the nature of running something you share with others, but let's not pretend bluster like this has done the industry ANY good no matter where it springs up (and too often gets swept under the rug). Preserve the olden experience, that's kosher. Don't nurture its seedy underbelly. Otherwise, you've probably lost players before they'd even register via word of mouth.
    Pretty much spot on. The only difference between casual and hardcore is how much time you're willing to put into something. Hardcore is also an extremely generous term to those who fall under it while casual is derogatory to those to fit. It's only a measure of time

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arximiro Dragonheart
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

So I've been playing for a few days on this server and it's really the old FFXI experience. I've had a Dunes and a Qufim party both already. If any of you are on the fence looking for a classic FFXI experience you should really check this out. It's just as unforgiving as you remember, which after a few years of games that go out of their way to hold your hand is a refreshing experience. It's really easy to just lose yourself in the world, I think I played for like 10 hrs straight a couple times, I haven't done that shit since pretty much old FFXI.

This link can answer a lot of the questions you may have about certain things if interested. http://nasomi.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=868

King Bitcher of Bitchington
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Chuggs M'koul
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

I couldn't find it anywhere on the forums, but dualboxing is okay to do, right? I didn't want to be breaking a rule without knowing about it.

Let's go Red Sox!
    BG Level

I haven't played on Nasomi in a few months, but the policy at that time was that 2-boxing is fine. More than that isn't allowed.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Emerald Dream

I must be fucking stupid or something cause I am having issues connecting. I already have XI client installed and Ashita, apparently all I need to do is put the nasomi.com in the IP config, where the fuck is that?

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Chuggs M'koul
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

Huh. I think you're doing it wrong. On the ashita client I run as administrator > then choose nasomi -1600x900 > black DOS screen which asks for a login/PW > boots up FF11. Is that what you're doing?

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Emerald Dream

The black DOS thing doesn't pop up for me.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Chuggs M'koul
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

When you click on the ashita boot-up, what pops up? When I click on it it asks me what configuration file I want to use and I'm given a few options. You should have a few that say A~Nasomi. Do you got those? If you do, I think you'll want to click on either the 1024x768 one or the 1600x900 one. It should then give you a DOS screen asking to login or register. If you get put into the normal POL thing, you're in the wrong area.

I followed these directions, you might need to redo something: http://www.nasomi.com/instruction.php

edit: sorry if my posts come off bitchy or dismissive or whatever too. That's not my intention. I was just trying to be as precise and exact as possible to try and help you/anyone out.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Emerald Dream

Haha, it's fine I didn't get those vibes at all.

Basically I was being a retard and not following the steps properly, got it working now. The fucking nostalgia is real.

Thanks for your help Koul :D

Would you recommend this server for a newbie? Is there enough people still leveling?

I made a character (Cocoa) and wandered around for a bit, but I don't know if it's "safe" to invest the time because I I've never played a private server before.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arximiro Dragonheart
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

There are plenty of exp pts during the day and evening. The only dead time really is around 2am-7ish AM EST probably. We have a good deal of UK players and US players, so typically there are 80-100 people online during normal hours. I was kind of worried about the same thing, but I've managed to get my main to 60, level 2 subs, and also got rank 5 and up to Ancient Vows in COP and only been playing a little over 3 weeks, although I have been playing a ton.

Population is really starting to pick up, this is like, at 5:30 EST

Also, big news:

After a very long day at getting things ready, we officially went live with multiple region servers. The regional servers serve to isolate crashes and improve up-time and stability. (...)

At this point there are 5 (+1) servers. Lobby, which also hosts misc unused zones and search, Cities, Outside, Dungeon, and Endgame. Any of these servers can crash, or be restarted without having any effect on the others. This way, players can run dynamis or missions and crash the Endgame server without bothering people in towns or regular xp areas.

Things have come a long way, but we're not done. Outside and Dungeon servers will be split into a Low and High version of each, which will contain areas that are typically 1-40, then 41-75. This is to further reduce the effects when a crash occurs. The mog house or residential areas are being moved to the Misc server which houses unused zones, as there seems to be a bug with some of them, and it's crashing the Cities server.

(...)

As you all know, we have a new server layout. There are six new servers, each housing 80 virtual servers, one for each zone. This is important for really only one reason, and that is that if someone in a zone crashes, it only crashes that zone, not an entire region. The virtual servers are split between actual servers only for load balancing, and adjustments may be made at certain points to move one server to another.

~nasomi

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Purrrfect Lee
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

The different servers is purely a backend thing, right? Like, all 100 of those players can show in search and any of them can send tells in-game and party to/with anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by Purrrfect View Post
    The different servers is purely a backend thing, right? Like, all 100 of those players can show in search and any of them can send tells in-game and party to/with anyone else?
    Those are the names of the physical servers (the hardware), each zone is on his own virtual server (this way a zone can crash and restart itself without affecting any other area), and yes, those 100 players are all playing together, can send each other tells, form parties and so forth.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast