+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

People leveling too fast on colibri isn't classic enough, apparently.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ael Finn
    FFXIV Server
    Goblin
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

is this searain person supposed to be the Nasomi BG PR rep? If so, wow he/she/it's doing a bang up job! really make me wanna try this server out...

Quote Originally Posted by Aelfinn View Post
    is this searain person supposed to be the Nasomi BG PR rep? If so, wow he/she/it's doing a bang up job! really make me wanna try this server out...
    Not that I give a damn but no, I'm just a BG'er and I barely play on Nasomi nowadays, too, due to RL leaving me with very little time to dedicate to gaming; I just get triggered when seemingly clueless people (if not straight-up trolls) come on here to badmouth it out of spite, because it's a lot of fun for what it is.

Nasomi's been devoting a shitton of time and efforts to the server, asking absolutely nothing in return, be nice, if you don't like it here just go play elsewhere, it certainly isn't for everyone.

Server's been breaking 200 people online routinely on peak hours for quite some time now (screenshot was taken at like 2 PM EST tho), with 100+ characters online at any given time (lots of EU too), just a heads up yo!

http://abload.de/img/nasomi210c9pzs.jpg

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

discovered the darkstar project and this server recently, and it looked to me like nasomi has the only server with a decent pop + a proper exp rate (why are there so many 5-10x exp rate servers?)

been having a blast but was curious -

Quote Originally Posted by nasomi View Post
    Got quite a few BG members that joined us! I'm working on some custom quests to unlock DNC and SCH since I don't include WoTG content. People are leveling FAST, but that was due to a manafront exploit which I've since fixed.
    ^I don't suppose dnc and sch are still in the works? I'd love to have access to the jobs even without any wotg content

Shallow and Pedantic
    BG Level

Is there a monthly fee? Is this a dream come true? We still got an active community because I am all for joining today

Quote Originally Posted by Omnipotent View Post
    Is there a monthly fee? Is this a dream come true? We still got an active community because I am all for joining today
    This is one of the very few private servers (if not the only one out there that actually works) that doesn't even accept donations; there's no monthly fee, everything is 100% free, the owner covers the costs for running the server entirely out of his own pocket and he's also been spending tons of cash on top-notch hardware to ensure the server keeps running flawlessly.

Nasomi's motto is, "no one should be running a private server unless they can afford it" and he's totally right, it should be a hobby, not a source of income or a way to scam people out of money.

The web server (= website) is undergoing an overhaul so get your stuff off of the Nasomi facebook page instead: though https://www.facebook.com/nasomi/

As for the population, have a look (for the record, It's been online for nearly 3 years and it keeps growing): http://i.imgur.com/R2VnsaW.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by vlight View Post
    discovered the darkstar project and this server recently, and it looked to me like nasomi has the only server with a decent pop + a proper exp rate (why are there so many 5-10x exp rate servers?)
    It's pretty much the only "classic" server that stays somewhat true to the golden-age, pre-WotG FFXI experience and most likely the private server with the biggest population right now.

(why are there so many 5-10x exp rate servers?)
    Cause people forgot that classic XI was all about the journey.

been having a blast but was curious -

^I don't suppose dnc and sch are still in the works? I'd love to have access to the jobs even without any wotg content
    Not that I know of but then again I haven't been playing much lately, you should just ask him on facebook or in game.

Shallow and Pedantic
    BG Level

What is in place for when players need to do missions that require help or a significant party? Is there always available players or is there alternatives.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

There's usually 200+ people on at a time now and there's a server ls which is basically like general chat that people use to find groups for exp and missions and what not. Can equip two linkshells arty once so most of the population keeps the server ls on full time in addition to their own social or event ls

When the forums are done being overhauled and back up people usually post on them to organize a mission or event if the need a good amount of people.

Shallow and Pedantic
    BG Level

Great! I just joined this AM and left myself logged in until I get home from work. My in game name is Decimus... look forward to getting back into the swing of things and my brother is joining as well.

Shallow and Pedantic
    BG Level

Is there a list of rules that dictates differences? For instance there are two LS's allowed at once.... is there any other changes that have been made to enhance the users experience?

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

Pretty much anything that got added to retail in terms of updates to the core game, like UI changes or anything like that will be there since its built in. Things like the cap being set at 75 and CoP missions being level capped are changed back to how they were.

Most important things I can think of on nasomi are level sync exsists, fields of valor is disabled so no exp books. Not all of the BCNMs are fully coded so to make up for that there are NMs out in each zone that sync your party down to the appropriate level for whatever BCNM their loot table represents, which are referred to as OWNMs (open world nms.) Under the misc 3 you can turn on some new stuff from retail like being able to see the AoE range of spells, and how long buffs have left reamining on yoursel as well as see party members buffs.

Zilart and CoP missions are fully functional up to Sky and Sea (ix drk currently isnt working so cant get to jailer of justice or love as of yet) aht urghan exists but a lot of the mobs werent working properly like colibris having 0 evasion or troll pets giving tons of exp so all the mobs in aht urghan have been boosted to like lvl 90+ until aht urghan is more stable for exping in, you can still unlock jobs and go after NMs there just with a larger group since they are more like mini HNMs now.

Im sure theres a bunch of other stuff I can help answer, Ive been playing on nasomi for a long time and Im on playing a lot so just look for Sly in game if you need any assistance.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

When does this game take place as far as meta wise? Is shield mastery, 2hand update, and hasso/seigan in the game? I'm torn between making a Samurai, Paladin, or Black Mage

Also, whats up Searain!

Quote Originally Posted by Veikuri View Post
    When does this game take place as far as meta wise? Is shield mastery, 2hand update, and hasso/seigan in the game? I'm torn between making a Samurai, Paladin, or Black Mage

Also, whats up Searain!
    Hey man, long time no see!

They're all in the game and super close to retail specs, shield got a boost a couple of months ago due to some buggy code and it's currently blocking a ton regardless of size but it'll get fixed soon.

Both SAM and BLM are pretty powerful on here, PLD didn't work at all when I started playing 2 years ago but I managed to get the DSP guys to fix most of the issues through thorough testing. We've had an enmity system overhaul recently however that put us right in the middle of the pre-RDM tanking nerf, so RDM might be a slightly better tank than PLD right now for big stuff.

Also, Llowyn, Petz, Gorgarath, Xionraserei and Debutis are currently playing on Nasomi too. :D

By the way, the new forums are online: http://nasomi.com/forum/

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

I see you're rocking the PLD/DRK in your sig I think I've decided to go SAM/BLM on my main and WHM/BRD on my alt. When do you normally play?

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Been playing on this server for a couple days now.

i'll keep this short. in my opinion the server has a lot going for it, it's stable, it gives you that old FFXI vibe and there's tons of new players.

the cons are that it seems the oldschool players have quite the step up but hopefully that's addressed at some point.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by D44kpunk View Post
    Been playing on this server for a couple days now.

i'll keep this short. in my opinion the server has a lot going for it, it's stable, it gives you that old FFXI vibe and there's tons of new players.

the cons are that it seems the oldschool players have quite the step up but hopefully that's addressed at some point.
    Why is that a con?

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

things were significantly easier in the game prior to recent adjustments.

dynamis currency was 2x easier to obtain and items in general were as well due to rampant duping/gil exploits.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Ah, I see. Didn't know that much. It's refreshing to be broke as fuck trying to make it.

Quote Originally Posted by Veikuri View Post
    I see you're rocking the PLD/DRK in your sig I think I've decided to go SAM/BLM on my main and WHM/BRD on my alt. When do you normally play?
    Like 4-6 EST but mostly during the week-end nowadays, RL keepin' me busy!

things were significantly easier in the game prior to recent adjustments.
    Oh, come on now.

"Oldschool" players, as you call them, had to deal with a whole different set of difficulties - such as content not being in the game yet, jobs and abilities being far from retail specs or simply not working at all, servers crashing left and right, lag, monsters and events being buggy as hell and/or different enough from their retail counterparts to require slightly different strategies/approaches, lack of gear choices, lack of crafters, lack of numbers, etc. - new players will never get around experiencing because, also thanks to the dedication of the aforementioned oldschoolers, 95% of the issues the server used to have in its infancy have long been ironed out and everything works great now and it's very close to CoP/ToAU era retail (and there's a shitton of people online at any given time, too).

Had you been there and not making assumptions while lacking 1st hand knowledge, you'd know whatever they got, they earned ten times over.

In fact, hadn't it been for some of these players, the server wouldn't be as reminiscent of classic XI as it is right now. Some of these guys went out of their way to thoroughly test and fix a huge amount of stuff (on their own initiative no less) y'all newcomers are benefiting from right now.

Also, keep in mind that there's prolly like, less than 2 dozens of truly "oldschool" players (as in, people whose characters are 2+ yr old) left on the server anyway (and most of them don't even play on daily basis anymore), out of a playerbase of about 400 or so, hardly an issue from my point of view.

dynamis currency was 2x easier to obtain
    Dynamis went through a lot of fixing and restructuring; early on, engaging mobs in Dynamis-Windurst would crash the whole server, SMN and BST mobs used to crash the zone as well and it didn't get fixed for like, a whole year.

Time extensions/NM's/Bosses positions and spawning conditions diverged from retail quite a bit, a lot of people couldn't enter any Dynamis zone due to glitches with key items and it wasn't uncommon to get out of a run without the zone-clear key item, even though the boss had been killed. It was basically a crapshoot and the first relic of the server took longer than a year to get fully upgraded, with an entire linkshell working toward it.

If you think people got free relics handed to them, you're sorely mistaken.

Was upgrading relics easier than retail? Certainly (mostly due to the fact that it's on a 24 hr timer), it still is in fact, despite the changes, was it super easy? Hell no, it still took tons of work and dedication.

and items in general were as well due to rampant duping/gil exploits.
    Debatable. Zilaart/CoP era retail had fishbots and exploits like the Barone Corazza one and there were people playing the guilds to print money back then too. Please note that guilds prices were almost completely reworked like a year and a half ago to act as a deterrent toward this kinda practices, too.

Duping through AH returns went on for a couple of months at best and only a handful of people seemed to know about it, most of whom were banned because of it. It was fixed as soon as Nasomi caught wind of it.

If anything, there used to be a mind-boggling shortage of even the most basic AH stuff up until a year ago or so, due to lack of crafters.

Taking up PLD, I had to do some serious outside-the-box thinking to put together a couple of semi-decent gearsets. In fact, we were so undergeared back then, that taking down KB or Fafnir or Kirin used to be a huge accomplishment and we'd bring full alliances to them (lol).

Bottom line: give it a chance, you'll soon realize that the server's always been almost as unforgiving as oldschool retail and that Nasomi is pretty adamant about not playing favourites and making people work hard for their stuff, cause that's how XI is supposed to be. Cheating is also strictly prohibited and generally frowned upon and there's a team of GM's actively working to prevent people from taking advantage of exploits/glitches popping up because of updates and stuff.