+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

feel like i didn't only say negative things about the server, the majority of my post was praising it, but whatever.

would also like to clear my name a bit by saying if you read the entire 10 year old thread(isn't it over 200 pages? have fun) you quoted my post from you'd have realized the homophobe post was made by "he who must not be named"(are we still doing this?) after he hacked my BG account.

Quote Originally Posted by Cassalot View Post
    I'm with Brill on this one. Every single time someone gives a negative opinion on Nasomi server you quickly call them wrong and defend it until your fingers bleed. Its their opinion. Stop forcing YOUR opinion down their throats. Let them feel and think how they want. More than likely, you aren't going to change how they feel.
    I'd even add occasionally shitting up other private server threads because they're not this one.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Yabby View Post
    Fucking Lol

Hey look, all the people who didn't get their way on the server are having their little circlejerk.

Upvoted XD lulz top kek etc.

User was infracted for this post.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

I'm still following nasomi progress, and the comments of someone like Searain notwithstanding it seems like the community keeps getting bigger and thus more stable. I'm still offput by many things, so perhaps someone can answer them for me:

Does blue mage still not work here?

Is the plan still not to bother with fixing ToAU, at least for the foreseeable future?

Is fishing fixed, and/or is it actually possible to make shihei without buying ink from a limited stock vendor?

Is there still no real roadmap for fixing bcnms instead of staying with the ownm nonsense?

All of these things work (either in whole or in part (bcnms/toau content seems to be generally better than nasomi but still not perfect)) on other private servers and all of them are relevant for me. I am ok with there being no wotg endgame, but hearing that nasomi had no plans to implement some of the best content at the 75 cap was extremely disappointing, because I am of the opinion that the game was dramatically improved by toau, not degraged.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

BLU has worked for quite some time, barring one or two spells that I know of.

ToAU is on the shelf until other things can be fixed. It's a balance issue. it's not disabled, just hte mobs are leveled up so they're not viable leveling areas. Mobs were put in without any testing, and thus were massively to easy allowing players to plow through endlessly for chain99 on IT++ mobs yielding 50k+xp/hr. Mean while I made sure that there were multiple other viable camps for 50-75, even before the level jump in ToAU areas, but who could be bothered when they could walk 2min out the aht urghan door and spam xp on mobs that should be marked as decent challenge, for incredible xp per hour.

Fishing isn't fixed, but it's getting closer. black ink as well as several fish are available for sale from an unlimited stock vendor. It's not cheap if you just buy it, but a 61+ alchemist could tier3 hq the squid reducing hte price per ink to 6k each, plus 1-1.5k for other mats, which a 88+ ww could tier 3 hq shihei. Cheapest cost would be 7k/stack, most expensive at 18k/stack. Why shiehi is sitting at 22k is because the players set it at that.

You say ownm nonsense, but in reality, have you tried it? BCNM's have issues, and I'm not even aware of them all, because people tend to not tell me about things they can exploit for personal gain. BCNM's work, but not all of them, due to limited ai functionality. They should work as well, if not better than any other server out there. OWNM's were created to fill the gap and to give the players something else.

If you do decide to give it a try, there's really no better way. Decide for yourself. There's nearly 300 online at peak, and continues to grow for a reason. The community is where you're going to get your biggest reason to play, not the content. If it were just about the content, everyone would sit around playing with themselves and not relying on people. But in reality, it's more fun to play with 5 other people working and cooperating towards a common goal.

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Retrieving/C.D/Searain View Post

Also, do you realize you're playing on a private server managed by a single person, that's been a work in progress for the better part of the last 3 years, that's only recently reached full-blown stability and that is still being balanced out as we speak (SE ceased updating retail however, so we'll get there soon hopefully)
    Actually they didn't cease updating retail. They are still doing updates every month and adding new things like items, a new mount system and some new content is coming next month called "Ambuscade." With an update every month it will probably take that private scene a long time to catch up than you thought. I don't even get what people see in p server outside of the fact that it's free. You get 50x less content than retail and it could all your grinding and progress could evaporate into thin air if this guy decides to stop running a server in his basement. While that could happen to retail, its a lot less likely anytime soon. That's why most p servers I've seen do higher rates on everything than retail.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

While it's true, I could say screw it at any point, and it would be a waste of the players time, it would also be a vast waste of my own time and financial resources. The goal was to bring about ffxi from the era where community was important, not because people wanted to, but because they needed to if they wanted to accmoplish anything. And it was because there's nothing else that offers this service, all games went easy mode, which left me with nothing I enjoyed. So I decided to make my own, and have invested thousands of hours and dollars over the past 2.5 years building it up.

Yes, I could quit at any time, but I'd lose more than any player who decided to plop down and play for a few hundred hours. I have no intention of giving it up any time soon, and even bought all new hardware only 2 months ago including a fully loaded dell C6100, dell r310, MD1000, and LSI 24bay DAS, and even went 10gb xfp for the new storage array. Short of the rdp vm i'm typing this one, the rest of it is for the server. Development, test environments, hosting, web server, multiple sql servers.

When it started I told people I was in it for the long haul, and haven't done anything to make people think otherwise.

So while a private server has less content, it does have something that retail doesn't, and that's community, people who share a passion and desire to work together. And while it has less content than current retail, it's nearly on par with what was available circa 2005, less fishing. Which is still on the list to be done sooner rather than later.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by Draylo View Post
    Actually they didn't cease updating retail. They are still doing updates every month and adding new things like items, a new mount system and some new content is coming next month called "Ambuscade." With an update every month it will probably take that private scene a long time to catch up than you thought. I don't even get what people see in p server outside of the fact that it's free. You get 50x less content than retail and it could all your grinding and progress could evaporate into thin air if this guy decides to stop running a server in his basement. While that could happen to retail, its a lot less likely anytime soon. That's why most p servers I've seen do higher rates on everything than retail.
    a lot of people don't like the direction that SE took the game, thus why it died. not sure how much more of an explanation can be given other than that.

nothing about FFXI fights was ever hard, nothing about FFXI fights ever will be hard. the game is constantly a gear check and an attention check. the way combat/etc works it's almost impossible for them to add anything even remotely difficult to the game as far as fights go. disengaging alone makes it near impossible to have difficult fights coupled with tons of other retarded implementations.

with that being said, HNMs/other fun things in the ToAU era made the game a lot of fun for a lot of people. if i remember right you just stood on the sidelines and screamed "botters" in those days so obviously this doesn't pertain to you. but i think you'd have a hard time finding people that would say the current retail version of the game is better than the CoP/ToAU era. people like private servers to play in these times again and relive what they personally think is the golden age of ffxi.

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by D44kpunk View Post
    a lot of people don't like the direction that SE took the game, thus why it died. not sure how much more of an explanation can be given other than that.

nothing about FFXI fights was ever hard, nothing about FFXI fights ever will be hard. the game is constantly a gear check and an attention check. the way combat/etc works it's almost impossible for them to add anything even remotely difficult to the game as far as fights go. disengaging alone makes it near impossible to have difficult fights coupled with tons of other retarded implementations.

with that being said, HNMs/other fun things in the ToAU era made the game a lot of fun for a lot of people. if i remember right you just stood on the sidelines and screamed "botters" in those days so obviously this doesn't pertain to you. but i think you'd have a hard time finding people that would say the current retail version of the game is better than the CoP/ToAU era. people like private servers to play in these times again and relive what they personally think is the golden age of ffxi.
    Nobody ever said anything about difficulty? Yes you probably remember something along those lines, I hated the HNM "content" and thought it was stupid. I did all of it once and that was enough for me. I don't get whats fun about HNMs on a P server that you can find in retail in the same format with different numbers lol. I think a lot of it is blind nostalgia and not so much those days being better. I remember those days very well and I'd never want to go back to them for the content itself. The community? Sure, the content? Hell no. Sitting in the same spot for hours for one NM that you might not claim was boring as fuck lol. You aren't even getting that experience on this server anyway. The population is nothing compared to what the original game was, which made it what it was. All you get is the horrid grind from level 1 - 75 which is made even more annoying by the low population (I remember those days fondly of /sea all 52-55 BRD nonstop.) If you even read up on his posts, the TOAU isn't even working on this server and I doubt he'll get it to a point where it will just like you remember through those nostalgia-goggles.

So while a private server has less content, it does have something that retail doesn't, and that's community, people who share a passion and desire to work together.
    I respect the fact that you are making a free place for people to go and play FFXI in some form. This statement is kinda odd, what are you even talking about? The community of most p servers is filled with people who get on because its free and then they're gone with the quickness and most times with a complaint (see few posts in here.) I just roll my eyes at the whole "75 onry" crap, its just pure blinded nostalgia and I have no idea how people would see that as better than what is currently available. Your definition of "hard mode" being leveling to 1-75 the original way is just pretty silly. I think the most insulting thing is the fact you think a private server is way better than the actual retail, hell I'd recommend people play XIV over a poor shadow of an era in FFXI that required the game to be your life for the sake of grinding.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

the majority of this forum quit after the 75 era was over, so while not accepting that people have different opinions makes you a bit insane.. you should also take into account that you're the minority

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

Not accepting a different opinion doesn't make someone "a bit insane." There is just no acceptable response outside of community that made the 75 era. Also a lot of people quit because at that point the game was getting old and it didn't boast the largest playerbase to begin with. Where exactly are you getting that I'm in the minority? It's not like a ton of people are jumping onto that private server and that thing is free to play.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

It sounds like you never even liked FFXI to begin with.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

There's a difference between hard mode, and not being able to solo the entire game, either because everything is uncapped, or there are trusts everywhere. Once players stopped needing other players, they stopped talking. LS's fell apart. It became solo gameplay. I tried ffxiv, however the whole "rush to 50 and grind endgame" was not my cup of tea, and not what I enjoyed from ffxi. When I returned to FFXI, there was no one left. No talking, no shouts, no players. A very few players had abyssea groups that would push you from 40-99, which nearly everyone already had.

I had no where to go, and that's why I did this. Players will always take the path of least resistance. If you didn't have to play with others, you didn't. When SE took away that need, the community died. I'd like to think that most players aren't there for the free ffxi, but rather for the community and playerbase of players that actually want to do things together. It's the minority, that's why no one caters to it, but there are some players who want to play like that. I find it hard to believe that everyone would rather play something they weren't interested in instead of shelling out a measly $13/mo, especially considering the average player age is 25-30, most having jobs and being generally responsible adults. The biggest complaint is "i don't have time" which is often accompanied iwth "retail suck now" so people have to find a balance between adult life and psending all your time playing ffxi.

You're right, it's a niche market, but it isn't an non-existant one. I'll keep it going as long as players are playing. It wasa great game that got swallowed by the almighty dollar. Cater to the majority for the biggest profits. And I get that. But since I don't answer to share holders or budget meetings, I can cater to wahterver audience I want. And I chose the one that I enjoyed playing.

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

You actually can't solo the entire game though. Admittedly it is a lot more low man centric now (which I always disliked as I enjoyed alliance fights) but that is due to the times. I'm sure even on your server you barely get more than 8~12 people for something like an HNM, which is exactly what FFXI is like now. You do take 7~8+ to certain fights like AV or the new area NMs, which is the hardest content. I think you were just on a dead server, which yes there are dead servers because SE refuses to server merge. You still "need" people for stuff and I do things with people daily. This game is old now and not very popular (sadly) and it doesn't need 16 whole servers. The fact it isn't popular isn't solely due to the content available or changes they've made, but mainly changes they can't make. One of the biggest things is graphics, I already know people forcing themselves to play XIV simply because its current gen and has those pretty graphics. This isn't a guess, I know people actually doing this. People like to play things that are "current/relevant" in today's gaming world.

Anyhow, I'm not telling you how to create your server or run it. I was just perplexed as to why there's still this "75 onry" mentality when the game was worse (content wise imo.) You say you like to force people to team up but for what? EXP? I mean, you still have to team up in retail for harder things as like I said, you can't solo everything. You even team up for job points like merit parties in the old day (or you can solo, there's more choices now.) You claim it got taken by popular demands but I think its more out of necessity, they made those changes due to an aging playerbase and they refused to spend money into revamping what was needed to draw new blood (graphics, advertising, structure like UI , etc.) The biggest hit to the game was not the almighty dollar ( or maybe in a way it was) or the content direction, but FFXIV.

I probably made this go off topic, so I'll stop here. I think its nice that there are private servers, but to claim they are better than retail was what made me comment further. The team puts a lot of work into FFXI still for how old it is and what they have to work with. The Rhapsodies of Vana'diel was amazing for what they had available and I think people give them too much shit that isn't backed up by facts but nostalgia.

Let's go Red Sox!
    BG Level

This just in: Different people like different stuff

Shallow and Pedantic
    BG Level

I think Draylo is just salty because not all BLU spells work on Nasomi's server.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

People didn't leave FFXI because of the direction SE took the game, per se; they left because they resource starved FFXI to make FFXIV, which ended up being a horrible pile of shit, then took even more off to remake it into FFXIV: ARR. Before that, they were releasing an expansion almost every year, up until WoTG dropped, and there was a metric fuck-ton of things to do because of drop rates vs content release times, and no true gear progression ladder; you needed stuff from everything because of gear-swapping. Then, just after WoTG dropped, so did the real Dev support for the game, and it became a veritable desert of content that people got tired of repeating. By the time Abyssea hit, many had starved off or gear capped their characters, though the change definitely gave it another year of life before that got old. With ARR finally ready, there wasn't a lot of people left to play SoA, save the die-hard fans on a high enough population server to continue.

Quote Originally Posted by Kachiko View Post
    People didn't leave FFXI because of the direction SE took the game, per se; they left because they resource starved FFXI to make FFXIV, which ended up being a horrible pile of shit, then took even more off to remake it into FFXIV: ARR. Before that, they were releasing an expansion almost every year, up until WoTG dropped, and there was a metric fuck-ton of things to do because of drop rates vs content release times, and no true gear progression ladder; you needed stuff from everything because of gear-swapping. Then, just after WoTG dropped, so did the real Dev support for the game, and it became a veritable desert of content that people got tired of repeating. By the time Abyssea hit, many had starved off or gear capped their characters, though the change definitely gave it another year of life before that got old. With ARR finally ready, there wasn't a lot of people left to play SoA, save the die-hard fans on a high enough population server to continue.
    Bit of this, bit of other games/competition, bit of people wising up to what works/doesn't, bit of things just getting old.

It's really easy to point fingers at people who didn't like the days of LFG for hours, be it EXP or capped missions, or never getting a drop because they didn't bot or were way far in the back of some loot line and call them lazy, anti-social, or whatever. I'd argue a number of features in XI rose up (or got removed, as per level caps) solely because people were leaving the game at a rate fresh faces couldn't replenish.

Labeling a server under the classic umbrella, as if to make it sound more classy, comes off as ignoring the reasons for why things happened in the game as they did. Counter to searain's accusatory herpderp of not making it here, I never once set foot in the place because I was told all I needed to know earlier in the thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by nasomi View Post
    We do it right, don't worry. Death penalty, regular xp rates, no hand holding. But it's worked well to develop a great community of players.
    I'm not above saying SE makes some bonehead decisions, but my revulsion came at the jab at players with the hand holding bit. This also doubled as poking at other servers who may've tweaked things for whatever their own reasons. As is, I've been around the gaming scene long enough to know there's a subset of players who thrive on keeping things from their peers, often making it as difficult as possible, and make it a point to immediately jump to character assassination when some questions that. I can't and won't support that, which is why I kept my distance. And although it came up in a different form, it's why I left the Legion server, too.

Personal preference is cool 'n all, but this factionalizing of players within our collective XI community really just comes off as dumb when these games could have something for everyone, and not just vocal minorities who think they're more important, skilled, smarter, dedicated, or whatever happens to conveniently pad their argument. For now, guess I'll go back to one day hoping for a retail mirror without the injection of play style bias.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arximiro Dragonheart
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by nasomi View Post
    I'd like to think that most players aren't there for the free ffxi, but rather for the community and playerbase of players that actually want to do things together.
    I'd gladly pay $30 a month to play on an official classic FFXI server. Be it before WoTG, or right before they raised the cap. I wouldn't play the current FFXI even if it was free or someone paid my sub. If you don't understand why people liked the old FFXI then you just don't. I've spent a lot of time on Nasomi and I can tell you it's not just nostalgia otherwise it would have wore off by now. I've tried other shitshow MMOs with vertical gear progression and them making all your work irrelevant with patches every 3 months. FFXI did it right by having gear swaps and a ton of horizontal progression. If there was ever another MMO with similar progression and gear swaps I would probably play it, but I haven't seen one yet.

Some of us just aren't into end game that consists of remembering a bosses skill rotation and where to stand or run to at what time. Everything becomes way too choreographed. I like how mobs in FFXI use shit randomly so you have to be prepared for every scenario. I don't think I've ever seen another game where melee DPS feed a monster TP and cause it to spam skills at random. FFXI gameplay is largely a test of patience and timing and for some of us that is just really fun. Maybe it's not as hard or nerve racking as remembering to run to an exact position and then back to another position, but it's good shit.