+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
    Shallow and Pedantic
    BG Level

I would think that a lot of people who quit FFXI was not because of the changes implemented (maybe it is) -- but because of the time it took out of real life. When you are in H.S, some before H.S, playing a game for hours on end with no bills/SO/Job then there isn't much to scoff about. When you go to college and graduate and get a big boy job with a SO and can't spend 15-20 hours a week playing a game, that's when you leave and find alternatives.

Nasomi's server has pro's and cons. You can log in whenever you want without the worry of a maintenance and just play the game for an hour and log off. Will you get much done? Probably not, but you talk to people and you get a level, maybe scrape together some gil, get lucky with a NM spawn....it's a slow grind. There are certain things which are inevitable that I will not be able to do, like camping HNM windows, or NM's with a spawn time over 3-4hours, certain end game scenes that take over 3 hours at a time.... but I enjoy the game when I log in, I have fun and that's all that matters. Also, it's free.

It isn't a perfect server -- while it will take some one shift to get the items for an Airship pass, or SJ items -- it might take me 2-3 weeks to get mine because of real life commitments. No one is being forced to join -- but if you want a nostalgia trip, and a group of people to talk to for 1-2 hours and kill some shit. Come play.

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

I personally think Nasomi's server is a positive thing and my only issue is the clown that dickrides the server. All people are looking for is what works, what doesn't, and what opinions those may have. There is nothing wrong with that. I personally strongly dislike the direction of a server of this type, but that's for me personally. It's not a good fit for me. But that is not badmouthing what this server is. I actually commend the time and money Nasomi has put into this and to be blunt he can do whatever he wants. If people don't like it then they don't need to play on his server. I think he's been very transparent and I hope it continues as well as I hope the server prospers. Variety is the spice of life and some folks want that old style XI and Nasomi provides it.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Arximiro View Post
    I'd gladly pay $30 a month to play on an official classic FFXI server. .
    If they made one, I'd play on it, and encourage everyone else to play on it. The only reason I made this is because I couldn't find this type of playstyle anywhere else. Which, in turn, ended up preventing me from having the time to play like this. But at least it allows others who want this play style something to do.

I've always been as transparent as possible. People seem to translate "I don't know" into being sneaky and hiding things, but in most cases, sometimes I just don't know, or haven't made a decision on the progress of some things. No decision I've ever made has been made lightly. However everything I've done I've done in the best interest of the players, whether they realize it or not. Most agree, some don't, but you can't please everyone all of the time.

A. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    I personally think Nasomi's server is a positive thing and my only issue is the clown that dickrides the server. All people are looking for is what works, what doesn't, and what opinions those may have. There is nothing wrong with that. I personally strongly dislike the direction of a server of this type, but that's for me personally. It's not a good fit for me. But that is not badmouthing what this server is. I actually commend the time and money Nasomi has put into this and to be blunt he can do whatever he wants. If people don't like it then they don't need to play on his server. I think he's been very transparent and I hope it continues as well as I hope the server prospers. Variety is the spice of life and some folks want that old style XI and Nasomi provides it.
    That clown has done it everywhere including the reddit thread as well. It just doesn't look good when people levy criticisms and this guy who i feel is completely out of touch is ceremonially defending against any and all legit criticism by endlessly shitposting. I think the biggest problem with this server(for me) is that people were able to do content with ease before it was made level 99. There is no bigger issue on the server than this currently at the moment.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arximiro Dragonheart
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Lordender View Post
    I think the biggest problem with this server(for me) is that people were able to do content with ease before it was made level 99. There is no bigger issue on the server than this currently at the moment.
    Since ZNM weren't coded back then it was basically just leveling, HNM, and the misc. NMs and fauna in the TOAU region. However now that the evasion bug with birds is fixed there is a campaign to get Nas to return the levels back to normal. TOAU is still far off from being fully coded in DSP, but there is enough content there for it to be relevant.

Quoting straight from Nasomi official forums as it addresses one of the most frequent questions about the server (its activity):

After implementing the new IP tracing nearly a week ago, another metric became available to me. While hitting 250-300 online, I estimated 350 or so were unique players, given mules, dual boxers, etc. And 450-500 over a few day period. I was pleasantly surprised to find that my estimates were low. Here's an actual output by day.

+------------------+-------------+
    | Distinct IP's | Date |
    | 391 | 2016-04-09 |
    | 398 | 2016-04-10 |
    | 405 | 2016-04-11 |
    | 402 | 2016-04-12 |
    | 382 | 2016-04-13 |
    | 402 | 2016-04-14 |

Now, you can't add them together due to overlap, however when I group them together for the past 7 days, I get this:

+---------------------+
    | Distinct IP |
    +---------------------+
    | 988 |
    +---------------------+

So, we're going to pass the 1000 player mark probably today. And probably in the next hour, as it's Friday, and people are itching to get in.

Once we reach the 1000 active player mark, the next step is 10,000 players. I'm sure that's right around the corner, so lets make sure we are welcoming to new players. In 6 months I want to look back on this post and have crushing new numbers. So say goodbye to your friends and family, and play some NasomiXI!
    Not too shabby huh! :D

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

even though it's probably slightly skewed due to rare people having static IPs, it's still impressive.

10k will be a tough road! not sure if retail even has that amount

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

After a long road of testing, we've introduced fishing. It starts at level 1, skill's up, mobs and items can be fished, and quests involving fishing, namely PLD AF gear, works as it should. It's currently capped at 10 while I evaluate skillup rates to make sure they're in line with the goal, and iron out some bugs with fish that shouldn't be hooking the line as well as a few mobs that crash zones when fished up.

Also we completely blew that 1000 player count out of the water and now have 1135 distinct ip's logging in over a 7 day period. This past Sunday I observed the highest online count I've seen to date, at 305 players online. The economy is much better off now that countless gil leaks and exploits have been fixed, which makes starting out not such an uphill battle now that massive inflation is starting to level out after the gil reduction.

Again, we're not perfect, and it's impossible to please all the people all the time. Some hard decisions have to be made from time to time. Everything I've done has been for the general success of the server and to make it enjoyable for most. There will be people on occasion who don't agree with decisions, and that's going to be the case with anything. However, taking the server's success into consideration, I'd like to think that the decisions I've made up until this point have been generally for the best.

From a developmental standpoint, there's still a lot to be done. There are two menacing crash conditions that occur in the core which are not player related at all, and I would really like to get them sorted out. Unfortunately, since they're not player related, they're impossible to recreate and I have to deal with the debug information that I get when they do occur. Every single crash generates a complete dump but anyone with a programming background will understand, those are not always very useful.

Next big thing on the list is to try and sort out an easier install process. That seems to be a big hurdle for most players, and is the most frequent issue people come to me with looking for help. A consolidated one shot installer would be ideal, but generating it to work with every version of windows at one time has proved challenging. Even players who follow the instructions exactly have still run into issues just based on slight variances in windows.

Anyway, I didn't mean for this to be so long winded, but that's where things are at this point. Moving forward will be exciting to see where things take us as we approach a 3 year anniversary. Thanks to all the players who have come and enjoyed the content I've worked hard at providing.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

New record online today @376!

Date |Distinct IP | Daily Connections
    2016-08-29 | 508 | 1895
    2016-08-30 | 523 | 1902
    2016-08-31 | 525 | 2072
    2016-09-01 | 510 | 1809
    2016-09-02 | 514 | 1919
    2016-09-03 | 546 | 2149
    2016-09-04 | 559 | 2586
    Total | 1248 | 14332

A. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

The biggest criticism I have of the server is that a contributor of endgame coding is allowed to continue to actively participate in an endgame linkshell. That is a serious conflict of interest and it is one of the top things discussed among the endgame community. If you're going to contribute to code, you should not be allowed to be around the endgame until you're no longer a contributor to the server.

2600klub
    I donated 5 bucks and all I got was this shitty title from Zet

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

FFXI private server. Srs bsns

I too was concerned with SE coders having access to their vast knowledge of the inner workings of the game, further perpetuating the JPONRY Stereotype. ._.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

We've just kicked off our 2016 Starlight celebration! Moogles are need help getting their holiday cards delivered to recipients in exchange for special gear! But there is someone lurking behind the corner who seems up to no good...

New changes to level sync have been implemented due to population levels(dunes bursting at the seams, players using PL's to go clear to 75 there, no room for new starting players to find parties), where you cannot sync past 20 levels below your current level(35 > 15, 66 > 46, etc). This has upset a couple players but overall has been well received. This was implemented on 11/30 and the population took a slight hit, but still cresting 400 players online during peak hours. It's been picking back up steadily as players seek out new places to party up and get exp.

Lots of fixes and enhancements in place. Sea is implemented and much closer to how retail was in 2005. Shield block was fixed so you don't 100% block. NIN emnity was adjusted as well as mob TP use. MNK mobs(mandies, etc) don't get two full hits with every hit anymore, so they do more appropriate damage.

Here's a population trend over the past 6+ months:

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

eh

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Sorry you felt that you needed to lash out with lots of bad info because your character was deleted for cheating. There are rules, if you choose not to follow them, you'll suffer the same consequences as anyone else.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

weh

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

please seed the FFXI needed for installation, I cannot download anything, Also provide us with a non-magnets because some of us cannot use magnets!!!!!!

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Playing in the server for a week and it brings back the 2003/2005 era. Has some huge flaws like lack of BCNM (OWNM isnt attracting ppl to do it) and stuff like Refresh for almost 700k. Also feeling sad that besides dunes and qufim people seem to avoid retail zones for leveling, either due to wrong mob levels or mobs TPing right at 100%. Ppl asking for xp parties in CoP areas at level 40 seems totally off.

Still its free. If you just want to have some fun and kill some time its a nice place to stay.

A. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

No longer play this server but have to add a few things. If you want to experience the grind the way it was before books then you'll like this server. If you want to re-live dunes,qufim frustration then this is the server to play. There are differences to retail for sure as somethings either don't work or work in a different manner. Nasomi has impressive server infrastructure and systems in place to run this server.

If you want to do endgame, don't fucking bother. 3-4 Kuwaiti's who have been shady the moment they arrived on this server will consistently out pull 30+ people with their bots no matter what time of day or night it is in Dragons Aery. Nasomi gets triggered like a little 5 year old when people mass report it via his ticket support systems. HNM's will randomly break for months at a time and people regularly exploit things that either aren't coded well or just flat out broken. He very selectively enforces the rules, punishes some dude for really stupid shit then handslaps someone for real serious shit.

Nasomi will rant on about unique ip's but the fact of the matter is he's lost about 120 players in about an 8month period and will lose a whole lot more if he doesn't get a grip and clamp down on the endgame mess.