FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by D44kpunk View Post
    according to the chat, 4 hours in starting at 6 am PST, 82%. how do people have this amount of time for the demographic that plays this game?

also should this even be posted here? nasomi isn't ffxi
    Moved to the correct forum.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

according to the chat, 4 hours in starting at 6 am PST, 82%. how do people have this amount of time for the demographic that plays this game?

also should this even be posted here? nasomi isn't ffxi
    I'm not sure what you're implying. That we should all be too busy to play FFXI because we're old?

There was a time when I was too busy to play anything other than casual games -- basically 2013-2016, when my career was not yet established so I was having to spend most of my time working for promotions and when I was still actively dating. Now that I'm married and am in a salaried position I have a lot more time than I had back when FFXI was in its prime and I was trying to camp HNMs between college classes, lol.

I'm doing endgame on Nasomi (we just killed Jailer of Love twice last night and have claimed 8 out of the past 10 Fafnir/Nidhogg pops) and having a lot of fun with it. We schedule our events 5 out of 7 nights a week and we have 40+ active members -- all of which are properly geared and know what they're doing in the game -- so it's not a big deal if people fall below 75% attendance like it would've been on retail. We still have the numbers and the means to kill everything.

I'd say if you liked 75 cap endgame FFXI, especially if you like lowmanning or min/maxing, Nasomi is in a great place and I'd recommend anyone on BG who used to love this game to give it a try again. With 1700+ players in primetime the economy is thriving and there are parties everywhere. I've taken DRG from 20 to 50 in three days in parties in Qufim, Carpenter's Landing, Garlaige, Zi'tah and Crawler's Nest (and yes, the EXP rate is the same as retail 75 era).

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Haalia Melchiott
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Skip Nasomi and roll on Eden if you're starting out and looking a 75-era accurate server. Nasomi is a custom-content server with made up stuff that just wasn't in FFXI, along with daily Dynamis unlocks and early exploitable content, resulting in characters running around with 5+ relics apiece. If you don't care and just want a populated server, I'm sure it's fine, but if you're looking for 75-era, it's a hard pass.

Eden's got the original Windower/Ashita devs (read: multiple experienced devs, as opposed to a single hobbyist) working on it, and just released ToAU.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Nyanoko View Post
    Skip Nasomi and roll on Eden if you're starting out and looking a 75-era accurate server. Nasomi is a custom-content server with made up stuff that just wasn't in FFXI, along with daily Dynamis unlocks and early exploitable content, resulting in characters running around with 5+ relics apiece. If you don't care and just want a populated server, I'm sure it's fine, but if you're looking for 75-era, it's a hard pass.

Eden's got the original Windower/Ashita devs (read: multiple experienced devs, as opposed to a single hobbyist) working on it, and just released ToAU.
    What is the HNM scene like?

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sean Kipling
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr

This is correct. I have switched myself. Eden is the better choice if you want a more era accurate bug free experience. Also, because they have a much larger staff, issues and bugs are fixed very quickly unlike on Nasomi.

Quote Originally Posted by Gredival View Post
    What is the HNM scene like?
    Right now the two bigger linkshells have an agreement of sorts where they share Kings (e.g. if one LS gets Nid, its the other LS turn for the next one). However there are many new and upcoming linkshells trying to get into the game which will likely change this dynamic.

Currently COP is being released in waves and sea is not out yet. End game is currently sky, city dynamis and HNM. COP end game/Northlands/Dreamlands dynamiswill come soon, then other stuff such as ToAU end game including assault, salvage etc.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by Therin View Post
    I'm not sure what you're implying. That we should all be too busy to play FFXI because we're old?

There was a time when I was too busy to play anything other than casual games -- basically 2013-2016, when my career was not yet established so I was having to spend most of my time working for promotions and when I was still actively dating. Now that I'm married and am in a salaried position I have a lot more time than I had back when FFXI was in its prime and I was trying to camp HNMs between college classes, lol.
    Correct yeah, I'm asking how an adult over the age of 30 has time to do AV attempts for 8 hours starting at 6 am on a Saturday, maybe i could get that out of myself one or two Saturdays a year but the fact that they had 40 people there blows my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Therin View Post
    and have claimed 8 out of the past 10 Fafnir/Nidhogg pops)
    don't you mean nidhogg/fafnir claimed you? there is no claiming

not really at all relative to the discussion here though, glad other people are rolling eden. nasomi is a dumpster fire

Hay guyz, I was Shinebox but now I'm not!
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Don Katsu
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Nevermind

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

don't you mean nidhogg/fafnir claimed you? there is no claiming
    Is this a real change?

I understand the motivation behind it in terms of combatting bots but I think people actually doing the claiming is an important AFK attention test. AFK people that might get auto claim actually reminds me more of what I disliked about the botters who got free camping credit without the blood of waking up every thirty minutes to claim. It would definitely be a deal breaker for me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Is this a real change?

I understand the motivation behind it in terms of combatting bots but I think people actually doing the claiming is an important AFK attention test. AFK people that might get auto claim actually reminds me more of what I disliked about the botters who got free camping credit without the blood of waking up every thirty minutes to claim. It would definitely be a deal breaker for me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    yeah 100%, for all the major HNMs it "claims" to who it "agros" I think a few other things are like this like KA/some other highly contested NMs

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Seeing no official thread about the Eden server, what are the patch conditions like for the rest of the world beyond the status of End Game content?

For example, are all the buffs to Paladin shield formulas active to make them competitive with Ninjas? Have the 2H formula crutches been implemented or is Ridill's hegemony among melee in full force? Has "quality of life" hit the gear from notable non-HNMs like Sozu Roggenberry (Thief's Knife ??? treatment) or King Arthro (Speed Belt vs. Velocious Belt R/Ex treatment)?

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sean Kipling
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr

Seeing no official thread about the Eden server, what are the patch conditions like for the rest of the world beyond the status of End Game content?

For example, are all the buffs to Paladin shield formulas active to make them competitive with Ninjas? Have the 2H formula crutches been implemented or is Ridill's hegemony among melee in full force? Has "quality of life" hit the gear from notable non-HNMs like Sozu Roggenberry (Thief's Knife ??? treatment) or King Arthro (Speed Belt vs. Velocious Belt R/Ex treatment)?
    I inquired about making an official Eden thread but the head developer doesn't want to put one out there, or any advertising for that matter, until he feels the server is more stable and developed.

As for your questions:

- 2H buffs are in effect but that's because it happened during the ToAU era and they're aiming for a ToAU server.

- Notorious monsters are actually pre-RMT changes, meaning the BCNMs do not drop items like leaping boots, and leaping lizzy only drops the rare version. This means stuff like Peacock Charm is a very rare commodity and is expensive to reflect it.

- All out of era changes to NM spawn methods are not in place. Sozu still pops as he did in retail back then and KA still drops speed belt (not velocious). All the out of era stuff that exists on Nasomi, like food/items, have for the most part been actively removed and will continue to be actively removed.

- You didn't ask but no one on the server has a D ring or a relic yet. Shit is pretty early FFXI on Eden.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Kipling View Post
    I inquired about making an official Eden thread but the head developer doesn't want to put one out there, or any advertising for that matter, until he feels the server is more stable and developed.

As for your questions:

- 2H buffs are in effect but that's because it happened during the ToAU era and they're aiming for a ToAU server.

- Notorious monsters are actually pre-RMT changes, meaning the BCNMs do not drop items like leaping boots, and leaping lizzy only drops the rare version. This means stuff like Peacock Charm is a very rare commodity and is expensive to reflect it.

- All out of era changes to NM spawn methods are not in place. Sozu still pops as he did in retail back then and KA still drops speed belt (not velocious). All the out of era stuff that exists on Nasomi, like food/items, have for the most part been actively removed and will continue to be actively removed.

- You didn't ask but no one on the server has a D ring or a relic yet. Shit is pretty early FFXI on Eden.
    After Ninja started streaming XI and there was more attention to private/legacy servers, my gf started asking me why I didn't play on one of those if I missed XI so much. For me this isn't just a nostalgia thing; my itch for XI has never went away in the past 8.5 years since I quit, I only stopped when I came to the realization that the game had changed so much that spending every night online playing still left me as miserable as not playing it.

At first I told myself it wasn't worth it if it wasn't an official server because then the same thing that happened to WoW legacy servers could happen or because the game would be at the whim of random people's ideas of how to improve the game (which is what ruined the game in the first place and is seemingly in effect at Nasomi). But the fact that Eden's is run by a group of ex-Windower staff has cut a bit into my resistance.

However as much of a time sink the years of getting all my HNM gear back (and my Mandau if I even try for it again) would be, what I dread most really is having to start from the ground up being stuck helplessly trying to get my subjob and do my rank quests and all that stuff. How are people coping with that besides playing with people that they used to play with?

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

Then after you get it the server shuts down. So pointless playing this game on private servers. Unbalanced, buggy as hell and nothing like the old days. Everyone dual boxing PL bots, doing anything to get ahead fast, just hilarious.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Haalia Melchiott
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

After Ninja started streaming XI and there was more attention to private/legacy servers, my gf started asking me why I didn't play on one of those if I missed XI so much. For me this isn't just a nostalgia thing; my itch for XI has never went away in the past 8.5 years since I quit, I only stopped when I came to the realization that the game had changed so much that spending every night online playing still left me as miserable as not playing it.

At first I told myself it wasn't worth it if it wasn't an official server because then the same thing that happened to WoW legacy servers could happen or because the game would be at the whim of random people's ideas of how to improve the game (which is what ruined the game in the first place and is seemingly in effect at Nasomi). But the fact that Eden's is run by a group of ex-Windower staff has cut a bit into my resistance.

However as much of a time sink the years of getting all my HNM gear back (and my Mandau if I even try for it again) would be, what I dread most really is having to start from the ground up being stuck helplessly trying to get my subjob and do my rank quests and all that stuff. How are people coping with that besides playing with people that they used to play with?
    People are fairly friendly on Eden. Generally if I'm in a sync Dunes party and there's some no-subjob people in my group, I'll whack some ghouls after the party's done and see if I can't get their skull to drop.
    Since the server is still new, nearly everyone's either in the same boat of needing subjobs/limit breaks/missions/AF/etc, or recently was and are willing to help out. There is also a server-wide /yell for group finding, 15-minute cooldown.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sean Kipling
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr

As someone who started knowing no one, and quite frankly unable to convince most of my old XI buddies to join me, I found help pretty easily. If you shout for a linkshell or shout for help someone will probably help you. That's how I got my subjob items - a high level dude was nice and carried me.

I will say that after a few nights on the server I ended up running into old friends from my retail days, a few of them, and I joined their social shell. They're the main ones who help me now and we EXP together sometimes.

If you aren't lucky in that regard, I'm sure you'd make friends fast. If you start let me know. I'm only a 58 THF so far with my limited schedule but I can help with many things a newer player might need.

Once you get higher up, you can likely find people that also need Shadowlord for example if you wanted to get rank 6. People usually use /yell on Eden to form groups which is server wide since it is a private server with a smaller than max retail population.

Quote Originally Posted by Draylo View Post
    Then after you get it the server shuts down. So pointless playing this game on private servers. Unbalanced, buggy as hell and nothing like the old days. Everyone dual boxing PL bots, doing anything to get ahead fast, just hilarious.
    That's always a risk but if you want to play FFXI in its prime that's your only option at the moment. So far it doesn't seem like SE wants to do a classic server and it also does not seem that the idea of classic servers or private servers are popular in Japan so I don't think they'll ever do it.

As for your other remarks - Eden is pretty much the spot on ToAU experience with very little bugs and the ones that are found get fixed fast. It's unlike other private servers I've experienced in that regard.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Everyone dual boxing PL bots, doing anything to get ahead fast, just hilarious.
    Honestly I wouldn't give a shit if you started at 75 and Sky/Sea/Einherjar access and what not; I just want King camping.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

you shit up ffxiah and /r/ffxi with your terrible opinions. you also have said on one of the two you've never played a private server so how could you possibly know what they are like?

SE will shut down ffxi before eden or nasomi is shut down, unless nasomi has a stroke since he's a single point of failure. sorry to break it to you bud

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

you shit up ffxiah and /r/ffxi with your terrible opinions. you also have said on one of the two you've never played a private server so how could you possibly know what they are like?

SE will shut down ffxi before eden or nasomi is shut down, unless nasomi has a stroke since he's a single point of failure. sorry to break it to you bud
    I never post on r/ffxi, don't even have an account there. You really have a hard on for attacking me on this site though, pretty creepy dude. Everyone is allowed their opinions.

I've played many private servers for other games, never for this one because mostly they are garbage and the retail ver of the game is 100% better.

It doesn't take a genius to look at youtube videos and see how you can cast slow on Titan and how elemental affinities mean nothing, how almost all the mechanics are broken and slapped together with glue. You can make an educated guess from there if it's worth the time. The whole thing is a failure, has nothing to do with FFXI just the images.

Tell me, what old school original feels do you get from a private server when everyone has a PL bot healing exp parties, people do anything to speed it up and get ahead and nobody barely makes it past Qufim Island before they quit?

There is no way to recreate that "FFXI in its prime" which we all obviously have disagreements on. I played during that period of the games life and these private servers are nothing compared to what it was. The community is gone and every p server I've seen does no justice to the actual balance of the game because they are littered with bugs.

That's always a risk but if you want to play FFXI in its prime that's your only option at the moment. So far it doesn't seem like SE wants to do a classic server and it also does not seem that the idea of classic servers or private servers are popular in Japan so I don't think they'll ever do it.

As for your other remarks - Eden is pretty much the spot on ToAU experience with very little bugs and the ones that are found get fixed fast. It's unlike other private servers I've experienced in that regard.
    It's probably a new server, I have not seen anything on it yet. I am only commenting on the server in question which this thread is about and its BUGGY. Does Eden have actual elemental resistances or can you cast slow on Titan etc,? lol

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

they are garbage and the retail ver of the game is 100% better.
    Tell me, what old school original feels do you get from a private server when everyone has a PL bot healing exp parties, people do anything to speed it up and get ahead and nobody barely makes it past Qufim Island before they quit?
    What made XI special wasn't the fact it was painful to get to 75 the first time around; that was a filter, not the goal. It was hardly an accomplishment, even if there were more drop-outs than graduates.

Abyssea letting you XP a job to 75 in an hour wasn't the bad part about it. Being able to solo jobs to 99 right now with Trusts isn't the bad part about current XI.

The majority of any serious player's time was stuff they did after getting to 75. Terminal content is the final goal of every MMO. It was a fraction of players who embraced the leveling experience as the heart of playing and chased their Maat's cap.

Power leveling was around in retail too; it's just a way to skip the tedium of the leveling process.

Hay guyz, I was Shinebox but now I'm not!
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Don Katsu
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

People are fairly friendly on Eden. Generally if I'm in a sync Dunes party and there's some no-subjob people in my group, I'll whack some ghouls after the party's done and see if I can't get their skull to drop.
    Since the server is still new, nearly everyone's either in the same boat of needing subjobs/limit breaks/missions/AF/etc, or recently was and are willing to help out. There is also a server-wide /yell for group finding, 15-minute cooldown.
    Does Eden give EXP bonuses to easy prey and decent challenge mobs? Or is it like retail?