+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cuphead     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Game broke a million sales, which for an indie game this short after release? I'm really fucking surprised given its' difficulty level that it even had that potential size of an audience. Perhaps the Simple difficulty makes it approachable? I've only been playing it on standard as I assume all of ya here are. The devs must be rather pleased given how many years they worked on churning out art for the thing.

I'm not too big on the game to call it a GOTY as others here have been (it's just a visually pretty game in the same vein of Contra/Metal Slug/etc with its own little twists), but what's there is solid.

Not too much a fan on some shortcuts they took visually which stand out like sore thumbs against the "Old TV" animation look, like some particles that utilize smooth realtime rotation (it would have been choppy and redrawn at different angles on a proper animated show for example), or some enemies moving around at 60fps with subpixel precision smoothness which goes against the visual style. Nitpicks in the grand scheme of things though.
    Spoiler: show
    Random complaint: Why is this game seemingly 100% uncompressed assets? 2gb download expanded out to 11gb. You can compress assets and retain all of the detail. Problem I have with this generation of games in general I suppose.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Press Release
    In Cuphead: The Delicious Last Course, Cuphead and Mugman are joined by Ms. Chalice for a DLC add-on adventure on a brand new island! With new weapons, new charms, and Ms. Chalice’s brand new abilities, take on a new cast of multi-faceted, screen-filling bosses to assist Chef Saltbaker in Cuphead’s final challenging quest.

Key Features

• Featuring Ms. Chalice as a brand new playable character with a modified moveset and new abilities. Once acquired, Ms. Chalice is fully playable through the DLC and the original Cuphead adventure!

• Traverse a brand new Inkwell Isle and wallop the most wacky and monstrous bosses Cuphead has faced yet!

• Find new weapons and charms to aid you in overcoming brand new challenges and setting new records on old bosses!

• Help Chef Saltbaker on a brand new adventure to uncover the mystery of Legendary Chalice’s secret quest!
    http://www.cupheadgame.com/dlc.html

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

I'm looking for someone to play this with!! It's extremely fun!

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

Welp.. guess I'm punishing myself again..

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

They updated the PC version today as well with the added localizations plus animated cutscenes. Devs finally learned wtf general file compression was, since the game went from 11gb down to 3.6gb, which has the bonus of faster load times as a result.

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I was actually just talking with a co-worker yesterday about how ridiculous the filesize of the game was. Nice to see they finally adjusted it.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 6souls View Post
    Delayed to 2020

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Available now on PlayStation
    Surprise! Studio MDHR was thrilled to announce in an interview with Geoff Keighley as part of the Summer Games Fest that their action packed cartoon adventure, Cuphead is available today on PlayStation®4 for $19.99 USD/ €19.99 / £15.99.

"Many of us on the team grew up exploring the worlds of classic PlayStation titles, from Resident Evil to Vandal Hearts," says Studio MDHR Co-Director Chad Moldenhauer. "It’s surreal to think about players adventuring through the Inkwell Isles with a PlayStation controller in hand. To all the impassioned PlayStation fans who've sent us messages over the years: we're so excited for you to get a chance to experience Cuphead firsthand. We're also hugely thankful to the wonderful team at Xbox, who continue to empower us to bring our game and our story to new audiences."

Studio MDHR also announced a free Special Update for Xbox fans. The forthcoming update will add a digital art gallery, behind-the-scenes commentary features, and playable soundtrack to the game. No date has been announced for this new update. Read more about it on the studio’s blog. You can also read more about the creation of the stop motion trailer on the PlayStation Blog.

Cuphead launched in September of 2017 on Xbox and PC, to critical acclaim and commercial success. Since then the game has appeared on Nintendo Switch and has also gone to sell over 6 million copies across Xbox, Switch, PC, and Mac. Cuphead and his best friend Mugman will also hit screens around the world with their in-production family friendly Netflix series, The Cuphead Show! But Cuphead and Mugman’s playable adventures are not over, and soon they will meet a new ally when Ms. Chalice takes the spotlight in Cuphead’s expansion, The Delicious Last Course! The team at Studio MDHR is hard at work cooking up this new adventure for hungry fans, and will have more to say on The Delicious Last Course in the coming months.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I wish more games did the whole not announcing it was coming to a new platform until the day they release it; that really made my day yesterday.

Here's hoping the DLC comes very soon, seems like an awfully long delay for DLC. Now that it's out on every platform, though, hopefully that should help. Although this line:

and will have more to say on The Delicious Last Course in the coming months.
    makes me think it won't be any time too soon.

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

It's great news for those on PS4 who never picked Cuphead up, but wasn't expecting this, so bummed the bump isn't about the DLC.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Byrd View Post
    Here's hoping the DLC comes very soon, seems like an awfully long delay for DLC.
    DLC Delayed to 2021

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I would have to assume the scope of this DLC is larger than originally planned (a single area's worth of levels iirc?) at this rate.

Was announced back in 2018, which you figure they'd already have been into work on it at that point. The Switch port (and subsequent version update to other versions) probably slowed things down also with the animated cutscenes addition also.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Oof. Another 7.5 months. Well, at least it wasn't a cancellation announcement.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries