+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 121 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 57 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your weather?     submit to reddit submit to twitter

BG's #1 Hatsune Miku fan!
    BG Level

Tennessee here also. South of Knoxville. Snowed all day here off and on though it only amounted to a few inches. It caught a lot of people off guard cause I don't think the forecast said it was going to. I heard today that there were tons of accidents all over the place. High is not suppose to get above 30 tommorrow.

Cake Mix
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Alabama. Near Columbus Georgia. 25 ATM, snowed overnight, people pretty much all in Alabama/Georgia going crazy because "OH GOD SNOW WHAT DO WE DOOOO" so dealing with that. Fun stuff.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Anoat View Post
    And before you jump on the lolFloridapussiescan'tdealwithsnow, realize that about 98% of the population here has NO idea how to drive on icy roads or snow of any kind. You can't even buy snow tires here. It's a safety measure to keep people from Darwining themselves on the roadways.
    What? I've never heard of this, I've never read any statutes about it, and as far as I know, every online tire retailer will ship winter tires to Florida every day of the week. That, and lazy snowbirds will drive down there with their winter tires already on their cars. The only restriction I'm aware of involves studs, but that has nothing to do with drivers being idiots—it's because studded tires damage hot asphalt, which Florida has most of the time.

I'm calling nonsense on this.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Kohan View Post
    What? I've never heard of this, I've never read any statutes about it, and as far as I know, every online tire retailer will ship winter tires to Florida every day of the week. That, and lazy snowbirds will drive down there with their winter tires already on their cars. The only restriction I'm aware of involves studs, but that has nothing to do with drivers being idiots—it's because studded tires damage hot asphalt, which Florida has most of the time.

I'm calling nonsense on this.
    100% correct.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Also turned on the car this morning to a balmy -9. It crept up to -4 by the time I got to work. January has sucked balls.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Very cold balls, apparently.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Spoiler for huge phone screenshot.

Low for the day -1
    Currently -9

That makes sense weather channel.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Nazjatar

I'm in Atlanta. We're in SHUT EVERYTHING DOWN mode.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I'm nearby izembo and yeah, Douglas County has declared a state of emergency.

I don't know if this next part belongs in random fail but.. Shadowneko (one of my brother's FFXI handle, so I'll call him that here), and my middle brother are stuck at my youngest brother's house and can't get home right now b/c of the roads. Oh and my nephew is stuck over here; his parents (the youngest brother and his wife) can't come get him because of said roads. I had to walk out yesterday to get some formula and milk b/c we were just that darned low. Proly going to have to make some bread too b/c I bet Dollar General is closed now..

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

realize that about 98% of the population here has NO idea how to drive on icy roads or snow of any kind.
    I'm calling bullshit since half of florida's population is people who moved from the north to get away from the cold.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by NynJa View Post
    I'm calling bullshit since half of florida's population is people who moved from the north to get away from the cold.
    We get snow every year and live less than an hour from several ski resorts. Despite the proximity and frequency of dealing with snow, drivers around here completely forget what snow even looks like between seasons. I can certainly see 98% (made up statistics!) of the people in Florida forgetting how to drive in the stuff even with previous experience.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by izembo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Elizara View Post
    I'm nearby izembo and yeah, Douglas County has declared a state of emergency.

I don't know if this next part belongs in random fail but.. Shadowneko (one of my brother's FFXI handle, so I'll call him that here), and my middle brother are stuck at my youngest brother's house and can't get home right now b/c of the roads. Oh and my nephew is stuck over here; his parents (the youngest brother and his wife) can't come get him because of said roads. I had to walk out yesterday to get some formula and milk b/c we were just that darned low. Proly going to have to make some bread too b/c I bet Dollar General is closed now..
    I'm a little bit up north in Whitfield County. Almost everything was shutdown yesterday evening and still is this morning. Good thing I did a run for Zaxby's after it all began. Driving on icy roads is scary as hell. Never have I driven so slow yet fell so terrified.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by NynJa View Post
    I'm not talking about Miami and Ft. Lauderdale and Boca Raton and shit, I'm talking about the panhandle and northern FL. Snowbirds don't stay here. The vast majority of people living in this stretch have lived here their entire lives. The only exception may be Pensacola, since there are so many Naval families there from different parts of the country. And yes, you can order snow tires thru an online retailer, but they are not kept in stock at the stores locally.

THIS IS BREGOR'S STORY
    Beard +1

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by izembo View Post
    Here's what I learned on CNN today: it snowed in Atlanta and CNN is mad as all fucking get-out.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Quote Originally Posted by Bregor View Post
    Here's what I learned on CNN today: it snowed in Atlanta and CNN is mad as all fucking get-out.
    Atlanta sucks right now, people stuck on the interstates for 6-24 hours in their cars. Now I'm not so mad about missing lab for the second week because of snow. We got like 2-4 overnight here, not so bad, but then I saw this on facebook:

next week

Old Merits
    BG Level

So yea, the Houston Icepocalypse didn't really happen. I guess the city government had their shit together this time around. They put down de-icing agent the night before and had sand trucks on standby. They closed a shitton of schools the night before, as well as damn near every school district for 100 miles. This wasn't nearly as bad as last Friday. So, now that Houston has been shown to be gun shy, the next time there is a "winter event" everyone's gonna be like LOL Bullshit, get on the roads and fucking kill each other. Last Friday over 500 weather related accidents reported, yesterday 0.

And FWIW, I'm from the great white north of Northern Michigan. This shit doesn't bother me, in fact I prefer it over the melt my face off hot as hell summers. I CAN drive in those type of conditions, not that I want to chance it with everyone else who can't. Yes, these people are pussies when it comes to cold/snow/winter...

GATTACA!

BG Level

I'm not talking about Miami and Ft. Lauderdale and Boca Raton and shit, I'm talking about the panhandle and northern FL. Snowbirds don't stay here. The vast majority of people living in this stretch have lived here their entire lives. The only exception may be Pensacola, since there are so many Naval families there from different parts of the country. And yes, you can order snow tires thru an online retailer, but they are not kept in stock at the stores locally.
    but why would people buy snow tires to use maybe once per year?

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

It is the end of January and raining here (Reno, NV). Very strange. We have been in a severe drought though so the rain is quite welcome. Any moisture is welcome.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azull Abaddon
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Effluo View Post
    the next time there is a "winter event" everyone's gonna be like LOL Bullshit, get on the roads and fucking kill each other.
    I miss Houston for all but 2 things. Summer and Traffic. Winter is not needed for Houstonians to kill each other on the roads.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Snowbirds still have to drive through northern Florida to get to southern Florida, and winter tires are not banned in the state, which was the whole point of my response. It has nothing to do with people driving with winter tires when they shouldn't be, and everything to do with studs damaging heat-affected asphalt during most of the year. Whoever told you that it was about people offing themselves in sticky tire accidents was wrong.

(Also, other snowbirds stay in middle/eastern Florida, particularly those from other places, like Canada—though Quebecois prefer southern Florida.)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 121 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 57 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag