+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

I could get behind the MMO that has those ideas, unfortunately for me this one's tainted. I wanted Pantheon too but not with the drama associated with it.

Gamers are consumers and they need to be smarter about their choice of purchase and support imo. Nothing speaks louder than where you spend your dollar. Avoid this game like the plague.

It will never deliver.

Group based leveling - class interdependence - expanded trinity with support and CC classes
    Lumping these together since they're largely related. There are a few reasons why this is largely considered fail these days, and XI serves as testament: LFG indefinitely. I don't think it's much of a secret that DPS classes are the favored role of the trinity with healer's probably being the least popular due to how quickly they receive blame for fuck ups and the general responsibility of the role. And overall, I don't think there will ever be a "casual friendly" ratio of the three to be found, as even something like 3 DPS, 1 tank, 1 healer, and 1 support proved to be difficult to fill in XI at times. Upping DPS slots and party size isn't going to change that, but at the same time, may occasionally see a bottleneck at the DPS end. Especially if no form of syncing is present.
    community with reputation mattering
    I feel like this gets overblown in XI. Truly. And I think the root of this is just a bunch of socially awkward nerds wanting to feel they belonged somewhere. That's not a bad thing, but on the other hand, let's not pretend that all the jackasses, ninja lotters, botters, exploiters, or whatever other form of negative personage still didn't get ahead in XI. Sometimes the collectively ostracized even came together and thrived. "Don't party with X, he's a dick!" only goes so fair, especially if entertaining the party paradigm you desire and X is the only person available to fill the role you need, or they even offered to pay to get in. Integrity takes a back seat, and that's assuming ANYONE in the group even knows who the fuck X is. And that's more likely the case than the hardcores would want others to believe.
    huge open and dangerous world
    ...that then becomes a vast expanse of unused space people only pass through to reach a certain objective, if that. XI had huge zones, for sure, but there were certainly mobs that rarely ever got killed, and not just because they weren't an EXP friendly type like crabs or crawlers. Ideal camps in specific level ranges will be discerned, then everything else becomes irrelevant. Make it too dangerous and sightseeing isn't even a thing. Though, part of XI's danger was the fact mobs had a tendency to follow someone forever once aggro'd. That might sound "cool" for the danger factor, but my more pragmatic side believes giving up chase should be a thing, which is probably why leashing came about in other games. Curbing MPK no doubt assisting in the move.

The irony of your collective wants is they're pretty much self-destructive. You can try to claim it niche and assert that select people will have a higher tolerance for that, sure, but then step back and look at things from the dev perspective. This niche audience is effectively demanding more for less profit. I'd already covered the zone side, but it's also true of classes. Not only do you want a broader variety, but no doubt balanced well. These will also demand their own animations, sounds, and thought put behind their use in the world. Let's then take this a step further to hardcore content where only a niche of the niche could ever hope to beat it. Like it or not, when people discover they can't beat such content for reasons outside their control (LFG/static/scheduling issues) then their inclination to quit rises. Your idea of a fun game is not financially appealing, especially in this era of competition that XI did not have to further dilute populations or teach people what was good and not on the QoL spectrum of gameplay.

The only time I would ever actually expect to see such a game "return" will be when we have non-voxel-based world building engines freely available to the market, and with that the ability to further mod and add things like graphics, music, and effects. But even this will demand a dedicated and able team interested in it more as a labor of love than profit. Looking to XI private servers seeking to maintain that vintage experience, though, I can't say they're doing well, or are at least represented by some outwardly unsavory personalities. Perhaps that proves my social theory that even the dicks can come together and get something done.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

I'm not going to make excuses for what i like but i'm also not riding the rose tinted glasses train either. For every one aspect i enjoyed, there were probably two that i did not. The key is taking what i think works and updating others. Again, what i think.

The problems with XI had more to do with the terrible combat system and utterly annoying game mechanics than the aspects i mentioned i enjoyed. EQ suffered from the same exact issues. No one wants to stand there for 30 seconds auto attacking before using an ability. I sure as hell don't. The TP system was, in my opinion, the worst combat system ever implemented in an MMO. This is why most raids/alliances brought at most two melee and stacked nothing but mages for a long time. It was a broken system until the content was made more melee friendly. Being rooted in place and animation locked for every damn thing you did was also another terrible mechanic. Both were products of that time though. Those are aspects that have been updated for the better in my opinion. A lot have not been though.

What i don't want and what i absolutely despise is every damn MMORPG turning into some piece of shit MOBA and diverging away from "RPG" aspects. That i will not stand for. I understand it's where the money is but i could care less. I didn't get into this genre so i could get a quick 15 minute fix and go do something else. That genre is there for those players. Go play them and stop ruining mine. I may be old and grumpy but i know what i like and i have the attention span to actually enjoy it.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Big things happening over at Visionary Realms. Shiny new site, new team members and a healthy dose of info!

http://www.pantheonmmo.com/

New quick teaser video

http://www.pantheonmmo.com/common/video/teaser_360p.mp4

Like a boss yo
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Mal'Ganis

I'm willing to give this game a shot. The genre needs something "new" and something old school from our rose tinted glasses may do it. Can comment all you want, zero fucks given.

Well, Wildstar tried that old school thing. Can't say it worked out too well for 'em. So, while I'll agree new stuff needs to happen, I'd propose it needs to rely less on strict partying/raiding. But that's pretty much anathema for the old school crowd anyway.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Wildstar failed because they tried to make a hardcore raiding MMO without realizing that small player base are already dedicated to WoW and won't make the jump.

The type of game Pantheon is trying to create is an updated EQ which they realize is for a small niche player base. Whether or not they succeed is still in question of course but i'm definitely interested. They'll have to compete with Project Gorgon and Saga of Lucimia but i see that as a positive. More competition is always good as long as steps are not cut to try and outpace the other.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

I like that they're planning on having the first 5-10 levels free, I don't like the idea of a sub-fee though. That's going the way of the dinosaur.

Release in 2017 is well... forever away. Seems to be the way MMO's roll now though. Looks really promising 2-3 years prior to release, looks a little worse 1 year prior to release, beta 6 months prior to release is terrible "they're going to make it better, I just know it", then the game releases as a jumbled mess... Rinse and repeat.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Avelle Asteria
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Alleria

I have very fond memories of EQ but not sure I can jump on another Brad McQuaid game.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Here are some screenshots of the UI(this is still in alpha). It gives me an old EQ feeling personally.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

The first in-game stream from Pantheon happened tonight from the pre-alpha, it was showing group play. Fizzling spells. Class interdependence. Holy trinity with crowd control. It reminds me allot of what EQ used to be.

If they would have done the kickstarter now, they would have gotten funded. Boy what a screw up that was trying to cash in on Brads name with no work. Tonight though got me a little excited inside.

Back when I said we'd see Pantheon before EQN I was making a joke, I didn't expect it to actually become real.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Reminds me of FFXI, what with the pulling and combat mechanics.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

The text above npc's/pc's looks like the text from Skyrim.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Here is the latest June update video.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Unite16 presentation of Pantheon. This is just a quick 5 min presentation. Brad will be doing a lengthy stream at a later date.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

I'm looking forward to this, bought a founders pack a few months ago, and must say the game looks a lot more polished graphically than what they showed on stream last time. Hope their next stream isn't too far off.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

The Next live stream will be on December 9th at 11 am pacific time, 2 pm eastern time.

Can't wait !!

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Stream will show off the new Ogre race and the new Shaman class.

Also it will show off New Zones, New Models, and New Enemies.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

If any of you missed out on the Stream, CohhCarnage posted it up on his youtube channel.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

This video shows off Pantheon's Perception Story Lines. Interacting with the environment can unlock special quest lines and encourages players to to explore their surroundings and perhaps see things that others do not.

Also the next Stream will be coming coming out April 27th at 11am PDT, and another one on May 2nd at 11am PDT. VR will be showing off the New Zones, new features, new UI, and a brand new class.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast