1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 19 hours, 45 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 4 hours, 14 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 12 hours, 45 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 21 hours, 14 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
    CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Indomitable Will
    FFXIV Server
    Goblin
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Quote Originally Posted by Radec View Post
    The "you only gain a cast every XX seconds" is the same argument that was used against xi's haste builds back in 2005 - it all comes down to the window size.

If you can only cast 25.5 spells in a minute instead of 25, you can also say that a speedless build only casts 24 full spells in 58.8 seconds where a speed build gets 25, the fact remains that speed = more spells in less time.

Have to dodge? Scathe as you move.
    Mob is away/invulnerable? Time a freeze/blizz2 to land as it repops.

Take any time of not-casting, and turn it into casting - naturally good advice always, but it's even more meaningful when weighted into a spellspeed build.

If your playstyle doesn't support that, gear for it, but don't argue best stat != best stat
    not really remotely close to the haste argument imo, considering haste changed not only auto-attack speed, but also the speed at which you accumulate tp, so more ws's, not to mention you could change gear mid combat (or mid WS if you really wanted to for some reason, thanks to windower), so there was literally no point in being slower to building tp, or having haste on during a WS...

we don't get a choice in ffxiv, you pick a build, and that's it, and math it, really we need some savvy blm's that can group up and do many many test runs on titan (HM should be fine lol) and parse the results for everones edification. honestly if SE would just give the correct damage formula out it would be so much help in all of this lol.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Indomitable Will
    FFXIV Server
    Goblin
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Also, I wasn't arguing best stat to best stat, I posted a BiS build and gave nearly a week for feedback, got NONE, so i posted it as BiS. but it does come down to miniscule differences anyway, since the majority of blm builds have SS on them anyway (even BiS build i posted), the real difference over the course of a longer fight, is likely to be 1 or 2 casts, for a whole fight. that whole time ALL of my casts were doing 5% more dmg, and more crit so with more bursts of dmg as well, or w/e...but like I said someone needs to to like 50-100 fights and parse them all and SHOW the difference, until then, take my advice or not, it's advice, I make no pretense about knowing everything

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Indomitable Will
    FFXIV Server
    Goblin
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

speaking of miniscules differences: skill>gear (by a LONG shot), i was parsed in Titan HM at ilvl80 blm with a NQ relic against 3 other blm's that were nearly full i90, and I came in 2nd, and only because I died once due to the game saying i was in LS, but i was like 2 body lengths out of it.

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Indomitable Will View Post
    speaking of miniscules differences: skill>gear (by a LONG shot), i was parsed in Titan HM at ilvl80 blm with a NQ relic against 3 other blm's that were nearly full i90, and I came in 2nd, and only because I died once due to the game saying i was in LS, but i was like 2 body lengths out of it.
    This (generally). I was in an Ultima Extreme as a low to mid 70s BLM (with Moogle Staff, need 300 more phil for relic [wasn't saving because didn't expect to run through all the primals in a day]) and DPSing 2nd only behind an i87 SMN.

When looking at the value of SS you can't just be thinking about the long term (ie. if you're nuking a dummy how long will it take to get an extra cast) you need to look at it in practical terms.

Will a little more SS allow you to finish casting [spell] before [enemy] disappears? goes invincible? does something you have to dodge?

Ifrit EX is a good example, a small amount of SS can mean the difference between getting off a cast before the next eruption and it's more than simply getting an extra cast, it also means not losing your AF/UI (which slows your damage more than anything really).

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Indomitable Will
    FFXIV Server
    Goblin
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Quote Originally Posted by Niiro View Post
    When looking at the value of SS you can't just be thinking about the long term (ie. if you're nuking a dummy how long will it take to get an extra cast) you need to look at it in practical terms.

Will a little more SS allow you to finish casting [spell] before [enemy] disappears? goes invincible? does something you have to dodge?

Ifrit EX is a good example, a small amount of SS can mean the difference between getting off a cast before the next eruption and it's more than simply getting an extra cast, it also means not losing your AF/UI (which slows your damage more than anything really).
    I can agree to an extent, but as I said a few posts back, the vast majority of the time, that comes to to knowing your timing, the rotations of the mob, etc....again skill. I rarely get caught mid-cast by LS or plumes, because I finish a cast right as that move starts, dodge/use proc while moving or right before you need to move/scathe if you have to move more than little bit and no procs up. Same with most fights, it's way more about knowing the fight and your role than it is stacking SS, granted, SS can make a tiny difference (a few 100th's, or even a few 10th's of a second), but it's not going to be real world noticeable unless you are comparing a blm with 0 extra SS, and a blm with nothing but SS gear stacked.

Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

So looking at things, I'm assuming Elder Staff is BiS pre-Turn 5?

Professional Lurker
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Braxton Ryker
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I would take the Elder over the Stardust zenith. But keep in mind you would need to switch a couple other pieces around as well for coil since you won't have the acc from the allagan scepter

Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by OWS_Tonx View Post
    I would take the Elder over the Stardust zenith. But keep in mind you would need to switch a couple other pieces around as well for coil since you won't have the acc from the allagan scepter
    Well I don't expect to be BLM in Coil anyways (i86 PLD)

Theory Fighter
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Frejan Schultz
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Yes, that's definitely an advantage that I was unconsciously overlooking (but knew it was there).Will the 3/100 of a second that 30 Spell Speed will decrease your casting time save your cast very often? Well, probably as often as the extra ~2% critical chance 30 Crit would add, which is to say not often enough to be of consequence. As for which one is more benefitial, I really don't know right now, but at least I can comfort myself thinking that the BiS gear I was initially aiming for (the "normal" crit/det one, not the "crit even if it means downgrading to Crimson" one) is, as Indomitable Will said, still pretty well packed in Spell Speed.

Another way to look at it is SS gives you more room for error, if you overlooked something or made a mistake in your rotation (or someone else did and it effected your rotation) having that extra SS may not get you that 1 extra spell in an ideal situation but if your timing is off for whatever reason it gives you some leeway to make up for it.

I'm not really debating the values of the stats or how one should gear, just examining the practical merits.

I'm not one to care about BiS when the differences are so small that their effects on your performance can only be measured under highly controlled situations and with huge sample sizes.

Theory Fighter
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Frejan Schultz
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I'm not one to care about BiS when the differences are so small that their effects on your performance can only be measured under highly controlled situations and with huge sample sizes.
    I agree. BiS is something to aim for, but all i90 sets will perform really similarly in the hands of a competent palyer.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sir Taint
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Love the guide, hit 50 BLM (i80) yesterday and am already 1/2ing parses. (mostly Garuda EX for ring farming) I've been reading it for a week in preperation and the rotations work extremely well.

Thanks!

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Alkimi Asura
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Indomitable Will View Post
    Thunder3>>Fire3>>Fire>>Fire>>Fire>>Fire>>Fire>>Bli zzard3>> (REPEAT, replacing Thunder3 with Thunder2 after the start of the fight)
    - If Swiftcast+Convert is up after the last cast of Fire in the rotation then you do Fire>>Swiftcast+Flare>>Convert>Fire>>Blizzard3 (If you do not have Swiftcast AND Convert up, Flare will bottle neck damage unless you NEED the Swiftcast>Flare to perform one of these feats: finish a fight, finish a Titan heart, kill the last Ifrit nail, kill the last Garuda Sister, finish multiple trash mobs with aoe and you will have time afterwards to regen mp naturally...otherwise there are better options.
    Is it worth also doing a Swiftcast Flare > Hi-Ether > Blizzard 3 in a single target rotation? I'm unsure whether it's worth it since after the Blizz 3 you have to wait for a tick of MP to do anything.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fallaci Isalie
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

You would have enough MP for a Thunder 1.

Theory Fighter
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Frejan Schultz
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Still, I'd save the potion timer for triple AF Flares: Swiftcast Flare -> Convert -> Flare -> Mega Ether -> Flare. Really nice when high AoE damage is needed (Turn 4 phase 3).

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fallaci Isalie
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

And if there are no such AoE circumstances in the fight or within a reasonable time frame then holding out on the Flare isn't so wise.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sir Taint
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Should I ever: Flare > Convert > Swiftcast > Flare? Or always Swiftcast > Flare > Convert > Flare?

While there's really no difference you might as well Swiftcast the first Flare to get it on recast sooner and long casting the second Flare also reduces the likelihood of overkill if your target dies before the cast is finished.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Indomitable Will
    FFXIV Server
    Goblin
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Quote Originally Posted by Taint View Post
    Should I ever: Flare > Convert > Swiftcast > Flare? Or always Swiftcast > Flare > Convert > Flare?
    won't make much of a difference either way, but I would swiftcast 1st in most cases (unless you think you will pull hate from a tank and lose dps because the mobs scatter a bit), in particular in AK on big pulls, I use swiftcast on my 2nd flare so that I don't get faceraped in duty roulette if the tank is average or poor...a decent tank won't have problems keeping hate though and you can go ape-shit bananas.

On a very slightly longer rotation you can throw in an extra fire2 in there, swiftFlare>convert>fire2>flare and boost dps a tiny bit, otherwise the full fire2 rotation is better.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast