Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Nintendo Confirms new system is in Development, Will be sold in Emerging Markets
    Nintendo Co Ltd plans to introduce a new kind of games console and software for emerging markets as early as next year, to capitalize on higher entertainment budgets amidst a growing middle class, its chief executive told Reuters on Thursday.

Satoru Iwata said Nintendo would develop hardware and games oriented towards consumers with lower incomes and less gaming experience than those in developed countries.

Nintendo is searching for new business opportunities as it buckles down and seeks to stem losses on its latest home game console, the Wii U, whose flop has contrasted with blockbuster sales for rival Sony Corp's Playstation 4.

Satoru said there were no plans to launch existing hardware such as the Wii U or 3DS in emerging markets, including China.

"It would be difficult to enter those markets if we didn't create something new... For the mass market you need to provide something that most of the middle class can afford," he said in an interview following an analyst briefing on Thursday.

Iwata declined to elaborate on the design and specification of such a new device and did not specify the countries where it would be sold, saying only that "emerging markets" referred to those whose gaming potential had not yet been cracked.

In China, Iwata said Nintendo would try a different tack to Microsoft Corp. The U.S. rival last month said it would begin selling its Xbox One console through a Chinese partner from September in Shanghai's free trade zone, after the government lifted a ban on the sale of foreign consoles there.

"We think the Chinese market has a lot of potential, but I don't think the lifting of the ban has solved all of the difficulties in entering it. We need to study it more," he said, adding that Nintendo would adjust its pricing to fit consumers in emerging nations.

"For us, Microsoft's approach wouldn't work."

Iwata also said Nintendo will release high-tech figurines of some of its most popular characters in time for Christmas this year. The company hopes the models, which will be able to send and receive data from games, will also stimulate software sales.

But the chief executive said he could not give any more details on a new "non-wearable" platform announced in January that will be oriented towards improving customers' quality of life and encouraging them to stick to healthy pursuits.

Nintendo released its full-year earnings On Wednesday, booking its third year in the red after disappointing sales of its Wii U home games console. It has pinned a return to profit this year on new game titles spurring higher sales of the hardware.

Shares of Nintendo closed 0.7 percent lower on Thursday, compared with a 0.9 percent rise in the benchmark Nikkei index.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A4703U20140508

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

As early as next year? Yeah, fuck you too Nintendo. At least you'll be joining us this generation of gaming I guess, assuming you actually learned from your mistakes.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Minerva Kissaki
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

PRICE DROP ON WII U?! CAN I PLAY BAYONETTA 2 NOW?!

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Is there a release date yet for Bayonetta 2 or X?

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Both are this year but no exact date yet

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

X is this year? I'm expecting a trailer and release date at E3 then!

Any idea if it's gonna be a "Released in Japan in 2014, released outside of Japan.. eh, we'll let you know.." kinda thing?

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

as long as their inet-gameing is from the last millenia i dont care. they need to get their stuff wraped up and do their homework, this friendcode bullshit is beyond retarded. my wii u is still in its package biggest mistake purchase ever.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Maybe it is just me, but I don't expect this "new console" to see release (or at the very least, be pushed with any sort of marketing) in areas like Japan, North America, and Europe. This sounds like it is strictly a China/India/Brazil/etc type of idea that Nintendo is pursuing as a way to get a foot into other markets, especially since China has said they are pulling back on the amount of regulation they have been pushing on the gaming industry.

Kinda like how the N64 had a whole separate release in China under a different name.

I think "Fusion", the "wearable console", and this announcement are 3 separate things.

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Damane View Post
    as long as their inet-gameing is from the last millenia i dont care. they need to get their stuff wraped up and do their homework, this friendcode bullshit is beyond retarded. my wii u is still in its package biggest mistake purchase ever.
    Wii U doesnt use friend codes.

Another Islam Thread
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
    Maybe it is just me, but I don't expect this "new console" to see release (or at the very least, be pushed with any sort of marketing) in areas like Japan, North America, and Europe. This sounds like it is strictly a China/India/Brazil/etc type of idea that Nintendo is pursuing as a way to get a foot into other markets, especially since China has said they are pulling back on the amount of regulation they have been pushing on the gaming industry.

Kinda like how the N64 had a whole separate release in China under a different name.

I think "Fusion", the "wearable console", and this announcement are 3 separate things.
    yeah, i think there's some confusion in this thread. This recent announcement of a new console isn't about a successor to the Wii U; it'll be like another version of the Wii Mini or something.