+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 60 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast
    Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Above all, this merger will benefit you, our customers.
    Cautionary Statement Regarding Forward-Looking Statements
    ...These statements are often, but not always, made through the use of words or phrases such as “may,” “believe,” “anticipate,” “could,” “should,” “intend,” “plan,” “will,” “expect(s),” “estimate(s),” “project(s),” “forecast(s),” “positioned,” “strategy,” “outlook” and similar expressions. All such forward-looking statements involve estimates and assumptions that are subject to risks, uncertainties and other factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from the results expressed in the statements... Readers are cautioned not to place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements that speak only as of the date hereof.
    Well played, fine print. Well played.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Nice, now "will" somehow indicates an unsure outcome.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

That is some heavily bullshit legal insulation, lol.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Lol seriously!

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

That's pretty common language regarding forward looking statements for a publicly traded company. Hilarious in the context though.

"enjoy your new turbo internet, with speeds up to .."

Quote Originally Posted by quannum View Post
    "enjoy your new turbo internet, with speeds up to .."
    "...250d/50u for only $200 a month!"

And the sad thing is that I might actually pay that -.- I know, I'm part of the problem

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

"up to 200 times slower than Korea. For twice the price"

Quote Originally Posted by Pirian View Post
    "...250d/50u for only $200 a month!"

And the sad thing is that I might actually pay that -.- I know, I'm part of the problem
    Best part about their turbo, is that it only kicks in for the 1st xxx amount of data during a download. Got a 5gb file? Well only 250mb of it is going to get that TURRRRBO speed boost, the rest is going to download at 10down :D :D :D

Like a boss yo
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Mal'Ganis

Actually Mersegi, it depends on the Bandwidth available. Once the boost kicks in, and is done... the CMTS will then send it out again depending if your area has the
    bandwidth available I have seen a lot of customers have it constantly... just depending on your area and how much utilization goes on. I see this shit constantly, as my position
    requires me to monitor all Headend and Node activity of a large part of the Texas market.

Like a boss yo
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Mal'Ganis

We have been doing a lot of split areas as so it frees up utilization for customers. It's a slow process, but it is being done.

And a lot of customers are now being upgraded from 10/1 to 15/2 for standard, and Turbo being 25/2 in a lot of areas without having a 'Turbo Boost'. Just depends on which area is with upgrading
    regards to the CMTS for their area.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/9/559...cable-takeover

Comcast wants to own the internet — or, at least, the cables that carry it to most Americans’ homes. Yesterday, the company laid out its arguments for acquiring Time Warner Cable in a filing with the Federal Communications Commission. The merger, announced in February, would let Comcast take over markets that include, among other places, parts of New York, Texas, and Southern California. This would give Comcast a stranglehold on the US broadband market, but it’s not a sure thing yet. The Department of Justice and FCC must decide whether the merger poses a threat to competition for internet and cable services, and the Senate Judiciary Committee is questioning executives in a hearing today.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

They must prevent Comcast from having a monopoly. Service IS good but their customer service is incredibly terrible. The latter wouldn't sound bad, if the former is always online. From experience, once you get an outage, you almost have to plea with those fuckers to send someone out to fix it, and it's not gonna be a next day thing, but a week or 2 weeks. Though people from the north have told me they fair better with customer service, down here in the south, we desperately need other broadband options.

I'll also add they love to feign ignorance with mysterious charges added to your bill.

Oh and one more thing.. for any Time Warner customer here: Buy your own modem. Don't use comcasts when the switch is made.

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Service IS good but their customer service
    It's not if you're getting outages more than once or twice a decade.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by hey View Post
    It's not if you're getting outages more than once or twice a decade.
    My sarcasm detector is confused. Once or twice a decade would be a blessing. I've been their customer since before they have their own datacenter(when they were under Excite). Can count how many outages and the average length in DAYS they are in I've had on my hands and feet. >_>

Couple of years ago, there were outages almost every week but there was no hassle getting a tech to come out and you could actually REACH someone with KNOWLEDGE of their internet service over the phone. Not some CR that doesn't know how to switch you over, and wants to put you on hold so another person with the same lack of knowledge picks up. Things are different now. I wonder what happened.. Comcast all I got down here. First competitor in, and I'm gone.

My favorite, is the occasional spanish chip-on-shoulder asshole customer rep. I hang up when that guy picks up. Not gonna get anywhere with him.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/net...ces-2014-04-21

Quote Originally Posted by Netflix gains on subscriber growth, sets new prices
    SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Netflix Inc. on Monday reported first-quarter earnings and revenue that showed gains from a year ago as the online video-streaming leader reported increases in both its U.S. and international subscriber base and touted the success of its original series “House of Cards.”

And for the first time in almost four years, Netflix said it plans on raising its prices.

Netflix NFLX +6.60% said that for the quarter ended in March 31, it earned $53 million, or 86 cents a share, on revenue of $1.27 billion. During the same period a year ago, Netflix earned 5 cents a share on $1.02 billion in sales. Analysts surveyed by FactSet had forecast Netflix to earn 81 cents a share on revenue of $1.27 billion.

The company said it added 2.25 million video-streaming subscribers in the U.S. to meet its own forecasts, and ended the quarter with 35.7 million domestic streaming members. International subscribers grew by 1.75 million members to 12.7 million.

Those members will get a break for a while, as Netflix said it plans to implement “a one- or two-dollar increase” in price, depending on the country, later this quarter for new members. Netflix said existing members would get to keep their current subscription price “for a generous time period.” In the U.S., Netflix subscriptions start at $7.99 a month for video streaming plans.

Netflix’s new pricing structure comes in the wake of a similar announcement made a few weeks ago by Amazon.com Inc. AMZN +0.34% , which raised its annual Prime membership fee to $99 a year from $79. Amazon’s Prime subscribers get free-two day shipping on most purchases in addition to membership in the company’s Prime Instant viewing service.

Investors got behind Netflix in after-hours trading and sent the company’s shares up more than 5% following the earnings results.

Netflix highlighted the performance of its original content series, especially the second season of the political drama “House of Cards” starring Kevin Spacey. The season, which debuted in February, “attracted a huge audience that would make any cable or broadcast network happy.” Netflix also has new seasons of its shows “Derek,” starring Ricky Gervais, and “Orange Is The New Black” set to premiere during the current quarter.

Netflix also said that for its second quarter, it is forecasting earnings of $1.12 a share, up from 49 cents a share a year ago, and that it expects to add more than 1.4 million total new video-streaming subscribers.

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Twilight Sky View Post
    My sarcasm detector is confused. Once or twice a decade would be a blessing. I've been their customer since before they have their own datacenter(when they were under Excite). Can count how many outages and the average length in DAYS they are in I've had on my hands and feet. >_>

Couple of years ago, there were outages almost every week but there was no hassle getting a tech to come out and you could actually REACH someone with KNOWLEDGE of their internet service over the phone. Not some CR that doesn't know how to switch you over, and wants to put you on hold so another person with the same lack of knowledge picks up. Things are different now. I wonder what happened.. Comcast all I got down here. First competitor in, and I'm gone.

My favorite, is the occasional spanish chip-on-shoulder asshole customer rep. I hang up when that guy picks up. Not gonna get anywhere with him.
    Not sarcasm. That's shit service.

The last time my internet went out was during hurricane sandy. My entire town, including the cable company had no electricity for 2 weeks. They fixed the internet 2-3 days before the power came back on (i assume it would have been sooner if they had power).

The time before that, again, another hurricane. Internet came back as soon as the power did.

Before that... not sure. Probably around 5 years ago, no idea why. Was fixed the next day.

Good service doesn't just go out all the time.

Renegade Philosopher
    BG Level

It's a testament to how entrenched the content providers have become that most people accept shit levels of service/bandwidth as "pretty good". Content needs to be completely separated from access.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

http://arstechnica.com/business/2014...-of-inflation/

The Federal Communications Commission today issued a report on average cable TV prices in the US, and to the surprise of no one, it turns out they went up a lot.

"Basic cable service prices increased by 6.5 percent [to $22.63] for the 12 months ending January 1, 2013. Expanded basic cable prices increased by 5.1 percent [to $64.41] for those 12 months, and at a compound average annual rate of 6.1 percent over the 18-year period from 1995-2013," the FCC said.

The basic cable increase was four times the rate of inflation as measured by the Consumer Price Index (CPI) for the 12-month period, and substantially above inflation for the 1995-2013 measurement.

"These price increases compare to a 1.6 percent increase in general inflation as measured by the CPI (All Items) for the same one-year period," the FCC wrote. "The CPI’s compound average annual rate of growth over the 18-year period was 2.4 percent."

"Expanded basic cable" service is the price of a basic package plus "the most subscribed cable programming service tier excluding taxes, fees, and equipment charges."

Additionally, "equipment prices for basic and expanded basic services increased by 4.4 percent and 4.2 percent, respectively, for the 12 months ending January 1, 2013," the report stated.

"Cable operators" for the purposes of this report include both coaxial cable and fiber services such as Verizon FiOS. The FCC didn't list prices by company, but broke out measurements of communities that have competition vs. communities without competition.

Communities with competitors didn't fare any better.

"Over the 12 months ending January 1, 2013, the average price of expanded basic service increased by 4.6 percent, to $63.03, for those operators serving communities for which no effective competition finding was made as of January 1, 2013," the FCC said. "For the effective competition communities, the average price of expanded basic increased by 5.8 percent, to $66.14."

Technically, a community isn't considered to be competitive unless the incumbent operator has successfully petitioned the FCC for a finding of effective competition. Getting this finding relieves the company of price regulation, which helps explain why customers don't necessarily pay less when they have choices. Additionally, cities and towns "that are exempt from rate regulation provide a greater number of video channels, on average, than the responding cable systems subject to local rate regulation," the FCC said.

A community can be deemed competitive if the incumbent has fewer than 30 percent of households as subscribers, or if a second operator offers service to at least half of the community and has 15 percent of households as subscribers. The competition can come from a second cable operator or another service such as satellite.

"We surveyed operators serving 486 out of the 24,238 communities without a finding of competition and 314 out of the 9,417 communities granted an effective competition finding pursuant to the statute," the report said.

The rising cost of sports programming and other content has probably helped push up prices. Because of bundling, consumers can't simply choose the channels they want. As we recently reported, US homes on average receive 189.1 cable TV channels and only watch 17.5 of them.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag