Thread: Import or convert .ost     submit to reddit submit to twitter

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Import or convert .ost

Client has a strange situatiion

He has his email on an exhange server exemple @workaddress.com
    He also had his personal email @homeadress.com

He created a rule on his homeadress to transfer all the emails he got there to his @workadress.com then delete from the @homeadress server

He never told me that, and we removed to the Exchange server to a new server, and transfered his email.

but all his @homeadresse are stored localy on his PC in the same .ost file as his workemail

Is there anyway to recuperate the email inside the OST to upload them to the new server? the old server is down, so cannot access exchange or AD from the old domain
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

You can convert the OST to a PST and attach it that way. The bad news is that Microsoft for some reason has never put out a product with this functionality, so you have to find a third-party software typically created by someone whose first language is clearly not English. We had to go through this recently and I was a little worried about some of these applications not being legit. We ended up buying Kernel Data Recovery because it had the most positive reviews at the time, and supported Outlook 2013 which was necessary for us. They have a free trial that will let you verify that it will recover what you want before you purchase it. And putting it on the company credit card removed the risk of identity theft for me.

Take a look and see if this will do what you need. www.nucleustechnologies.com

BG Level

I heard about that program, i'll tell me client but he kinda doesn't wanna pay, but i'll make him understand

you cant rename an ost file to pst and you cannot open the ost file with a different MAPI profile, it must be the same one that created the ost file.You cant change the mailbox either.

The only possible solution is if you can open the ost file with the origianal MAPI profile connected to Exchange or not, then export data to a post file.

Touse the original MAPI profile it must be available of course and you must also authenticate with an account that has permission to open it. (same account that has permission to open the mailbox on Exchange server)

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...updeploylegacy

^ that link has a write up on converting as long as you can open the .ost file with the correct profile.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Meresgi View Post
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...updeploylegacy

^ that link has a write up on converting as long as you can open the .ost file with the correct profile.
    Yeah not possible anymore

He bought the software and all seems fine thanks

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I'm confused.

You're using company time & resources to recover the personal emails of an employee?

BG Level

Too long to explain

In tl;dr they had an SBS 2003, (with old IT) server was dying they upgraded to 2012, asked us to change domain and start to scratch AD and all

Since they are a small company they used Colocation for Email, which trasnfered fine. after 3 weeks we asked the client if everything was ok he told me yes and he asked me to shut down the old server (which died before i shut it down)

Now he called me saying he had local email in his OST that he cannot access anymore

So since old AD and Exchange are dead and down, we cannot log him back to his old profile to 'export'

So yes he was stuck with that

In resume he paid cuz it was his fault to take 3 weeks to see he was missing 12k emals from his personal account

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

You can read the blog article posted below:

nalavadebela . wordpress . com/2014/07/09/ost-to-pst-converter-recover-data-from-inaccessible-ost-file

This manual process is free solution so you can try implementing it.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

You can convert easily OST file from Exchange server to PST file using vMail OST to PST Converter and import this PST file in MS Outlook to access all your old exchange database.

User was infracted for this post.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Converting OST to PST in Outlook is a crucial task for data recovery and email migration. Here's a detailed manual method:

Open Outlook: Start by launching Microsoft Outlook and ensure it's connected to the Exchange Server.

Export Data: Go to "File," then "Open & Export," and select "Import/Export." Choose "Export to a file" and click "Next."

Select PST Format: Opt for "Outlook Data File (.pst)" as the export file type and click "Next."

Choose OST File: Select the OST file you want to convert, and if necessary, include subfolders.

Set Destination: Specify the location for the resulting PST file and configure options for duplicate handling.

Finish: Complete the wizard, and the OST data will be exported to a PST file.

The manual method, while functional, has limitations. It can be complex, and there's a risk of data loss or corruption. For a more efficient and reliable solution, consider using a specialized tool like the "Cigati OST to PST Converter." This software streamlines the email migration process, reducing the potential issues associated with manual conversion, ensuring data integrity and simplifying the overall task.

User was infracted for this post.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag