Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

https://deadline.com/2021/07/space-j...ce-1234794982/

It's out-performing Black Widow.

Even with Space Jam: A New Legacy in homes on HBO Max, Warner Bros. proves again that when they shell out on TV spots, they can open the film in movie theaters to a solid number, and in this case it was the best 3-day we’ve seen for a family film during the pandemic with $31.65M. That’s also the best for Warner Bros. during the Covid era beating Godzilla vs. Kong‘s big Easter opening of $31.625M by a smidge and also a record career opening for director Malcolm D. Lee, beating the opening weekend of his Girls Trip by $31.2M.

This weekend the Scarlett Johansson standalone MCU origin title dropped -67% with $26.25M which reps the steepest second weekend drop for a Disney MCU movie after Ant-Man and the Wasp‘s -62%. So if you’re wondering how Disney+ Premier impacts a Marvel title’s box office, here’s further proof. Note among all Marvel movies, 2003’s The Hulk, which Kevin Feige executive produced for Universal, reps the steepest second weekend domestic drop at -70% for the comic book label’s movies. The 10-day box office for Black Widow stands at $132M.

BG's #1 Hatsune Miku fan!
    BG Level

Not surprised. When I saw Black Window this past Friday there were only a dozen people in a 400 seat auditorium.

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

I'm a bit surprised since despite the release of Black Window being at the worst possible time (IE: After she was dead) I thought the MCU hype train would still be around even after Endgame.

Quote Originally Posted by Corrderio View Post
    I'm a bit surprised since despite the release of Black Window being at the worst possible time (IE: After she was dead) I thought the MCU hype train would still be around even after Endgame.
    Anything worth hyping is on Disney+ atm.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Black widow 'can be viewed free too' also Space jam is more for kids imo, so its easier to get kids out to have 'quiet time'

Brown Recluse
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Takiwaki View Post
    Anything worth hyping is on Disney+ atm.
    LOL thats how I watched Black Widow.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimmauk View Post
    LOL thats how I watched Black Widow.
    I meant the marvel tv series lol. but thats how I watched it also lol

Ya I don't think Black Widow is going to be the best metric to gauge whether or not MCU fatigue is real or bullshit. I like the MCU but the hook and premise isn't motivating to me watch it ASAP like Far From Home did. I'll watch it eventually once I can muster the motivation.

It's kind of fascinating from what I gather from Twitter, the ready player one aspect to it, to get people excited for Warner Bros' other properties rather than a simple cash grab thats narrower in scope banking on the nostalgia of the 1 movie from the 90s.

And it is W I L D that Pepe Lepew got cancelled by the rapists from Clockwork Orange got in??

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

What in the absolute fuck with that Bugs Bunny video?

Also... it's hard to really get into the MCU now that it's established because so much of the universe exists people are going to have expectations that possibly cannot be met. My takeaway from recent content (spoilers):

Spoiler: show
    Loki unleashing the multiverse has basically paved the way for them to recast people and say 'lol they're from Marvel 202 and ended up here'. I expect that's how Miles Morales will enter the MCU.

I'm still firm on my feet that Marvel has written themselves into a proverbial corner now. I think Mike and Jay really did say it best in their review: Endgame felt like the end of a movie series (like Harry Potter), and there isn't more you can really do. The next series of movies seems promising with what they're building but it will never be as hyped or as intricately put together as the Avengers saga was. From here on out, it's just going to be pander after pander following cues that (in my opinion) ruined Marvel's comic series. I'll hold on as long as possible because I'm a long time comic geek but I honestly just don't see it getting any better.

I have hopes for the MCU. I think the end of Phase 4 will prove that, since we're going to have way more fresh faces. The events of Loki are just them having a contingency if people are going to want more familiar experiences.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shanoa Varhara
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by kuronosan View Post
    What in the absolute fuck with that Bugs Bunny video?

Also... it's hard to really get into the MCU now that it's established because so much of the universe exists people are going to have expectations that possibly cannot be met. My takeaway from recent content (spoilers):

Loki unleashing the multiverse has basically paved the way for them to recast people and say 'lol they're from Marvel 202 and ended up here'. I expect that's how Miles Morales will enter the MCU.
    To your spoiler
    Might be misremembering, but didn't Miles have a 3 sec cameo/Easter egg in Homecoming towards the end? If that kid was really him then he's already in the current MCU.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokus View Post
    To your spoiler
    Might be misremembering, but didn't Miles have a 3 sec cameo/Easter egg in Homecoming towards the end? If that kid was really him then he's already in the current MCU.
    I don't think so? I know Donald Glover played Aaron Davis, aka Prowler, and mentioned his nephew. That's the Miles connection.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Miles' uncle appears, but it was more of a cameo connection.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shanoa Varhara
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Cameo I'm thinking of might have been from the non MCU Spidey films then.