+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Minecraft - sigh - (202X)     submit to reddit submit to twitter

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

Minecraft - sigh - (202X)

http://www.deadline.com/2014/02/mine...ovie-producer/
    EXCLUSIVE: Minecraft, one of the hottest video game franchises in the market today, is going to be made into a major motion picture. Warner Bros just acquired the rights to the wildly popular game from Swedish indie developer Mojang AB (Mojang means “gadget” in Swedish). The property is already getting huge interest from writers and filmmakers as Warners is putting together a live-action version. Lego producer Roy Lee is handling for the studio via his Vertigo Entertainment, according to sources inside the studio.

Minecraft is one of the top five “open world”-type games where players can engage in a virtual world creating any environment they can dream up with virtual blocks. It is often described as a “open sandbox” where the users can build anything they want. Minecraft has become an Internet sensation since its introduction in 2011. I know, gamers out there will point out that the beta version was introduced in 2009 and were invited to buy and play the game before it was finished — which was a smart move by Mojang because they players basically became their test market and help develop the game itself. It didn’t hurt their bank account either.

The studio is wisely tapping into what could become another Lego Monster or bigger as Minecraft has just passed over 100M users and has been downloaded to 14.3M PCs, according to <Redacted>. From a marketing standpoint, the property cuts across all demos in terms of popularity. The game is very much like the world we saw in The Lego Movie as master builders built what they needed as they needed. Depending on how they develop the property, they could see Lego-like results or a Super Mario brothers disaster, which was also based on an open-world platform. CAA brokered the deal for the film rights.

In the game, players create their own avatar and use cubes to create, build, and destroy structures and other forms across multiple game modes and various players. When you first begin the game, the player is dropped into the middle of nowhere and must build out a world of their, but monsters can come out at any time and you must survive the night. According to <Redacted>, the XBox version has already sold over 10 million copies. In terms of popularity, it now ranks up there with Tetris.

Lee produced The Lego Movie with Dan Lin. The animated film has grossed a whopping $187M domestically and $93.5M so far in international markets for a total worldwide cume of $280.5M in only its third weekend out.

There have been a parade of movies based on video games released over the years or are in production. Need for Speed, which arrives into theaters this month via Disney, is based on the Eletronic Arts title of the same name and Legendary Pictures and Atlas Entertainment, for instance, are currently working on the feature film adaptation of Warcraft, based on another popular video game, which will be released via Universal in 2016. Prince of Persia: Sands of Time and the Resident Evil series were also based on video titles.

Wild Card
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mina Pulchra
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal
    Blog Entries

Oh come on...

I mean... come on...

2600klub
    ǝƃuɐɥɔ ǝlʇıʇ ɥʇ01 ǝɥʇ ǝʞıl sı sıɥʇ ƃɯo ʎuunɟ ƃuıɥʇǝɯos ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ puǝıɹɟ ʇsǝq s,poƃ ǝsɹoɥ ǝɥʇ sı ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vandole Horsegod
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

autism

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

guaranteed to be a blockbuster

2600klub
    ǝƃuɐɥɔ ǝlʇıʇ ɥʇ01 ǝɥʇ ǝʞıl sı sıɥʇ ƃɯo ʎuunɟ ƃuıɥʇǝɯos ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ puǝıɹɟ ʇsǝq s,poƃ ǝsɹoɥ ǝɥʇ sı ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vandole Horsegod
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Qalbert View Post
    the saddest part about all of this is i can't disagree with this.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Qalbert View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vandole View Post
    autism
    Yep.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nova Raylynn
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Laughing Skull

What a massive abortion. Whoever thought this was a good idea needs to have their head examined.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

You say that, but their aim was probably just to make dosh and I wouldn't be surprised if they do just that.
    They are gonna be wopping their wads on the counter.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nova Raylynn
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Laughing Skull

I will have no faith in humanity if it doesn't flop.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

This can't be real. Don't let this be real. I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

Weaboo of the House of Weave
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthur Pendragon
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

and now Notch can bathe in liquified gold bullion.

rainman 2: electric boogaloo

Remit One (1) Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Qeomash Pandemonium
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by solipsism View Post
    I will have no faith in humanity if it doesn't flop.
    You never know. I thought the Lego move would suck when I first heard about it, but it is apparently pretty good. (I haven't seen it yet, but I'm told by many friends that it is good.)

Will Minecraft be bad? 90% chance it will be. Will it still make lots of money? Probably.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deejay Zombie
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

What content is there even to make into a movie. Its not as if there is any kind of story or plot in the game. Are we gonna watch the main character mine for an hour and a half and then build a house out of blocks?

I just... no. Just. No.

Pseudo-Elitist
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Wasn't the lego movie supposed to be pretty good?

Not saying this isn't a good example of everything that is wrong with the entertainment industry but it's not impossible it won't be terrible.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

But the Lego brand has a history of really fucking good media behind it. Minecraft is nothing but a plotless open world game.

the lead is probably gonna be some blockhead..

oh well, at least the characters won't be 2-dimensional

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Enygma Xii
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

If you've played any of the lego games, you know there is a sense of humor in the writing already so I had no doubt that would carry into the movie ifself.

I have no clue how they are gonna do this movie as live action.

Silent Oil body rubs
    BG Level

who's going to play or voice Herobrine?

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

welp, now I am at least a little bit interested.
    Hello there!

Some of you may have seen this guy hanging around MINECON in London a couple weeks ago. He’s Rob McElhenney, and he’s going to be directing the upcoming Minecraft movie.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag