1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 10 hours, 40 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 13 hours, 19 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 3 hours, 40 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 5 days, 6 hours, 19 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Yoshida Press Interview with Dengeki Online (2/20)

Original interview: http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/000/808/808140/

This interview was published alongside the interview with Game Watch which I previously posted a translation for. They asked many of the same or similar questions, but they had a bunch of questions lined up about patch 2.2 which the other interview totally didn't cover. I'm not sure much of it is explicitly new aside from the confirmation that the mythology cap will be removed (which was already mentioned on Reddit and elsewhere, sourced from this Dengeki interview), but this is probably the stuff that everyone will find the most interesting, so without further ado....

So, regarding patch 2.2 to be release in March, tell us about the general concept.

Yoshida: Since this will be the second full-scale update, this should serve as an indicator of the size of future updates. We'll be adding beastman daily quests for two new tribes as well as new dungeons and raid instances. Additionally, the main scenario will also move forward which will start revealing a selfish side of Eorzea. Also, cutscenes will include voice acting, and we are planning to add a new character whose appearance may surprise you.

In the previous LIVE producer letter, you had mentioned that the focus of this update was the Maelstrom of Limsa Lominsa. Will the spotlight in future updates be devoted to other grand companies?

Yoshida: Yes. There are other primals which have beastman cults in each of the regions, so we will focus on developments in those areas. In patch 2.1, quests for extreme primals were added and it was showed that the Ascians were getting back in business. With Leviathan involved, this will become a major problem.

In 2.0 there was one large storyline, but the story of 2.1 was spread out into Crystal Tower, primals, etc., is this how the story will continue to be introduced?

Yoshida: The stories of the new primals and the grand companies are intertwined and will continue the main scenario. Crystal Tower and the Binding Coil of Bahamut are side stories which are related to the ancient empire of Allag (a civilization that once flourished in Eorzea). We have finished a substantial portion of this story already so I plan to fine tune it while observing players' reactions.

There will also be a rise of Item Level, so will there be a lot of high level items implemented?

Yoshida: Yes, with the increase in Item Level from Leviathan and the new turns of the Binding Coil, this is likely to be the case. With the increase of item level, the content which is currently the hardest will become more casual content for those who haven't quite gotten there yet. This should hold true for the first five turns of Binding Coil as well as the extreme primals. The character's strength goes up considerably as the item level increases, so it should become easier to clear this once difficult content.

One thing I previously mentioned is that the main scenario up to level 50 is like a tutorial, so we haven't prepared much content for low levels. Because we have a lot of first time MMORPG players, we'll add elements like treasure hunts little by little, but we won't be adding content for very low levels because it's really fast to level up anyway.

Will the new Allagan Tomestone [[Senki = War Chronicles]] added in this patch be obtained from Leviathan and the new turns of the Binding Coil?

Yoshida: Yes. Also, we'll be removing the weekly limit on Allagan Tomestones of Mythology.

That should make it easier for casual players to upgrade their equipment to try the more challenging content.

Yoshida: Yeah, also I think when you keep retrying the content, as the special buff applied to the players gets stronger, it will gradually help you to upgrade your items to the next stage. Rather than trying to force people to upgrade, I think it'll be more enjoyable with a slower progression.

I think the big wave of content with each patch is exciting, and keeps players coming back. We know that there's plenty of other exciting entertainment that people can enjoy, so we understand with this modern age of games that people will play at their own pace and come and go as patch content runs its course.

Since you're removing the restrictions on the initial turns on the Binding Coil, will you be doing anything to the restriction on item acquisition in Crystal Tower?

Yoshida: We're actually working through that right now, so please give us a bit more time.

What will happen with crafted equipment with the increase in the maximum item level?

Yoshida: It depends on the number of forbidden materia that are added. By adding a weekly limit for the new Allagan Tomestones [[Senki]] which will be the highest level equipment, we would expect that crafted equipment with materia melded would slowly decrease in value. With an increase in item level, the world will change significantly, so the situation will be totally new and there will be a wave of new things for all players. This will continue to go on in the future, and it's also why we have designed certain rates on the obtainment of new equipment, so that you can enjoy the game while acquiring the newest gear over time until the next rise in item level in about six months.

And this will probably motivate people to keep playing.

Yoshida: I like to think of the item level rises as an increase in the level cap. Since I didn't want earning experience points to really be content, I want players to have fun acquiring new, better equipment on their way to the top. By eliminating restrictions on previous content like the Binding Coil, we let players collect as much equipment as they like to prepare for the new content. Also, if the strength of items are completely fixed, it would affect the market and economic balance, and could lead to the inflation of gil, so it's better to have the demand of items changed with each patch. These changes in the economy will hopefully also create a new wave of business opportunities.

I think in most worlds the price of land for housing will hit its lowest by late February. Why do you think that is, based on the current economic situation?

Yoshida: A lot of free companies have actually purchased land since about the end of January. Also, in order to secure a good place in a ward, you should consider buying before the price falls too far. By doing the tier 5 treasure hunts with eight people, or doing free company spiritbinding to gain materia, you should be able to accumulate gil over time.

Piece of shit Bruins fan

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Beat Daisukenojo
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Quote Originally Posted by Slycer View Post
    Also, cutscenes will include voice acting, and we are planning to add a new character whose appearance may surprise you.
    Well, not if you're pre-announcing it it won't!

To me this basically leaves four likely avenues:

1. Warburton
    2. Louisoix
    3. Travanchet
    4. Someone completely external to XIV

Really boils down to the meaning of "new", if it's "newly appearing" or "new to the storyline".

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I guess they're talking about someone else, maybe related to the FF series (Krile possibly).

Quote Originally Posted by Cutriss View Post
    Well, not if you're pre-announcing it it won't!

To me this basically leaves four likely avenues:

1. Warburton
    2. Louisoix
    3. Travanchet
    4. Someone completely external to XIV

Really boils down to the meaning of "new", if it's "newly appearing" or "new to the storyline".
    Going with #4, or Gilgamesh.

Piece of shit Bruins fan

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Beat Daisukenojo
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Gilgamesh has already been in cutscenes, so I don't think that counts as "new".

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

But when will be getting the next tier of relic weapons upgrades?!

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Regarding the new character, I have a feeling he was talking about Gilgamesh, even though he's briefly appeared before, but we'll see. Also, remember this was a Japanese interview, so it's possible the voice acting mentioned will only appear in the JP version (not that that would be any real loss...).

By the way, he mentioned in there that the next rise in item level would be in six months (read: 2 updates later), so round 2 of CT will either be at, or more likely below (referencing the other Game Watch interview where he says that the difficulty of CT now can be used as a gauge for what's planned for the future CT stuff) whatever the new maximum item level is.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

He mentions appearance though and Gilgamesh already appeared in a cutscene.

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

unless jp has some super specific word theyre using there, it could still be gilgamesh with that wording

Piece of shit Bruins fan

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Beat Daisukenojo
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Quote Originally Posted by Slycer View Post
    Also, remember this was a Japanese interview, so it's possible the voice acting mentioned will only appear in the JP version (not that that would be any real loss...)
    Blows my mind that Bravely Default's English voice acting makes XIV's voice acting look sub-amateur.

Piece of shit Bruins fan

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Beat Daisukenojo
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

New character is Yugiri.

http://www.novacrystallis.com/2014/0...t-new-battles/

Hailing from the nation of Doma on the shores of Othard, Yugiri and her countrymen have fled their war-torn home and the oppression of Garlean rule in search of refuge. With supplies and hopes for survival dwindling, Yugiri seeks council with Eorzea’s leaders, that they too may call this land their home.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

DOMA

SAMURAI CONFIRMED

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

also expecting Yugiri to be a new race

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

Quote Originally Posted by Rocl View Post
    DOMA

SAMURAI CONFIRMED
    since somebody didn't know who Gilgamesh was

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Cyan_Garamonde
    Cyan Garamonde is a playable character in Final Fantasy VI. He is a Samurai and one of the finest and most noble soldiers of the kingdom of Doma.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quadra slam/slice confirmed? One could only hope.

D:

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Cutriss View Post
    Spoiler: show

I can't put my finger on why this design looks so familiar.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

looks like one of the machalania wood animals from FF10

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nama Kemono
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

So is that a horn or perhaps a flopped down ear?! Viera confirmed.

Dr. Salami
    HERO OF TIME

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Selamis Bloodwood
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Doma, ffffffffff, yes!

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trent Taisaijin
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

A small bit of wild speculation here based off of something small from one of those screen shots. Thancred is dual-wielding daggers now. thief inc?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast