Closed Thread
Page 11 of 486 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 ... LastLast
    You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

I read an article where it said the bmw was brand new and the registration was only two days old. rofl. Dickwad.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Just saw a CNN article about the car lol GJ you made the front page!

Limecat
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    Blog Entries

Did a Modern Grand Pre Trial today for Magic The Gathering. Used a deck I never played with once, went 3/3 but managed to kill someone with 20 infect on turn 2 with a not infect deck. So that was win in my mind

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Valar Morghulis
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Finally got my permanent residency in Canada. Started it over 2 years ago when I got married and moved up here, so I'm glad it's finally over with. In 2 more years I'll be eligible to start working on dual citizenship :D

Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Spaghetti View Post
    no one cares but took the common English exam a couple weeks ago. they take a shitload of books/essays/poems etc. and make you read them over the course of grad school (outside of class readings) then can randomly ask you questions about anything on the list (not plot questions, themes history connecting works/periods etc). Grades are fail, low pass, pass, high pass. High pass is almost a requirement for phd candidates.

Got high pass. As of yet don't know anyone else who got high pass. Nerds.

If you're interested (you aren't) here's the list

Spoiler: show
    Literature Before 1660

Anonymous – Sir Gawain and the Green Knight (c. 1375)
    Aristotle – Poetics (c. 335 BC)
    Bacon, Francis – The New Atlantis (1624; English Version 1627)
    Chaucer, Geoffrey – Canterbury Tales: The General Prologue, The Miller’s Prologue and Tale, The Wife of Bath’s Prologue and Tale, The Man of Law’s Prologue and Tale, The Nun’s Priest’s Prologue and Tale, The Prioress’s Prologue and Tale (c. 1380)
    Donne, John – “The Canonization”, “The Extasie”, “The Flea”, “Song: Go and Catch a Falling Star”, “A Valediction: Forbidden Mourning”. Holy Sonnets: “At the Round Earth’s Imagin’d Corners”, “Death Be Not Proud”, “Batter My Heart” (Most published posthumously in 1633)
    King James Bible – Genesis, Song of Solomon, I Corinthians, Revelation
    Langland, William – The Vision of Piers Plowman (B text), passus 1-7 (c. 1360-1390)
    Kempe, Margery – The Book of Margery Kempe (1438)
    Marlowe, Christopher – Edward II (c. 1593)
    Milton, John – Paradise Lost books 1-4, 9, 10 (1667); L’Allegro, Il Penseroso (c. 1631); Lycidas (1637)
    More, Thomas – Utopia (1516)
    Plato – Republic, book 10 (c. 380 BC)
    Shakespeare, William – Henry IV part 1 (1597), As You Like It (1599), King Lear (1604), The Tempest (1610), Sonnets 12, 15, 18, 55, 106, 130
    Spenser, Edmund – Faerie Queene book 1, and “A Letter of the Author to Sir Walter Raleigh” (1590-96).

English and American Literature, 1660-1800

Behn, Aphra – Oroonoko (1688)
    Blake, William – The Marriage of Heaven and Hell (1790-93)
    Defoe, Daniel – Robinson Crusoe (1722)
    Fielding, Henry – Joseph Andrews (1742)
    Franklin, Benjamin - Autobiography (1793)
    Johnson, Samuel – Rasselas (1759), Rambler no. 4 and 60 (1750)
    Pope, Alexander – The Rape of the Lock (1712-14)
    Richardson, Samuel – Pamela (1740)
    Swift, Johnathan – Gullivers Travels (1726), “Verses on the Death of Dr. Swift” (1739)
    Wheatley, Phillis – Selections from Poems on Various Subjects, Religious and Moral (1722): “To Maecenas”, “To The University of Cambridge, In New England”, “On Being Brought from Africa to America”, “On the Death of the Rev. Mr. George Whitefield”, “Thoughts on the Works of Providence”, “To S.M., a Young African Painter, on Seeing his Works”, “To His Excellency George Washington”
    Wollstonecraft, Mary - A Vindication of the Rights of Women (1792)

English and American Literature 1800-1900

Arnold, Matthew - “Dover Beach” (written c. 1851, published 1867); “The Buried Life”
    (1852); “Empedocles on Etna” (1852).
    Austen, Jane – Emma (1815)
    Browning, Robert - “Porphyria’s Lover” (1836); “Soliloquy of the Spanish Cloister”
    (1846); “My Last Duchess” (1846); “Childe Roland to the Dark Tower
    Came” (1855).
    Byron, George Gordon, Lord – Don Juan, cantos 1 and 2 (1819)
    Carlyle, Thomas - Selections from Sartor Resartus (1834): “The Everlasting No,” “Centre
    of Indifference,” “The Everlasting Yea,” “Natural Supernaturalism.”
    Coleridge, Samuel Taylor – The Rime of the Ancient Mariner (1798-1817), Kubla Khan (1816), Biographia Literaria (1817) chapters 13, 14, 17.
    Crane, Stephen - “The Open Boat” (1898); “The Pace of Youth” (1898); “The Monster”
    (1899).
    Dickens, Charles - Great Expectations (1860–61).
    Douglass, Frederick - Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass (1845 version).
    Hopkins, Gerard Manley - Poems, 1876–89: “God’s Grandeur,” “Spring,” “Pied Beauty,”
    “Hurrahing in Harvest,” “The Windhover,” “Spring and Fall,” “As
    Kingfishers Catch Fire,” “(Carrion Comfort),” “No Worst, There Is
    None,” “To Seem the Stranger Lies My Lot, My Life,” “My Own
    Heart Let Me Have More Pity On,” “Tom’s Garland,” “That Nature
    Is a Heraclitean Fire,” “To R.B.”
    Keats, John - “On First Looking into Chapman’s Homer” (1816); “On Sitting Down
    to Read King Lear Once Again” (written 1818, published 1837); “La
    Belle Dame sans Merci” (1820); “Ode on Melancholy” (written 1819,
    published 1820).
    Marti, Jose - “Our America” (1891); “The Truth about the United States” (1894);
    “Coney Island” (1881).
    Melville, Herman - “Bartleby the Scrivener: A Story of Wall Street” (1853); “Benito
    Cereno” (1855).
    Mill, John Stuart - On the Subjection of Women (written 1860, published 1869).
    Shelley, Mary - Frankenstein (the 1818 text), with the Introduction of 1831.

Shelley, Percy Bysshe - “Ode to the West Wind” (1819); “Adonais” (1821).

Tennyson, Alfred Lord - “The Lady of Shalott” (written 1832, published 1842); “Ulysses”
    (written 1833, published 1842).

Thoreau, Henry David – “Civil Disobedience” (1849).

Twain, Mark - A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court (1889).

Whitman, Walt - “Song of Myself” (1882); 1855 Preface to Leaves of Grass.

Wordsworth, William - “My Heart Leaps Up,” “Strange Fits of Passion,” “Lines Written a Few Miles above Tintern Abbey,”
    “Ode: Intimations of Immortality,” “The World Is Too Much with Us”; Preface to Lyrical Ballads (1800).

Literature Since 1900

Achebe, Chinua – Things Fall Apart (1959).

Anzaldua, Gloria - Borderlands/La Frontera: The New Mestiza (1987).

Atwood, Margaret - The Handmaid’s Tale (1985); selections from Second Words (1982):
    “Amnesty International: An Address,” “An End to Audience?”

Beckett, Samuel - Waiting for Godot (written 1948–49, published 1953).

Conrad, Joseph - Heart of Darkness (1902).

Eliot, T.S. - The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock (1915); “Tradition and the
    Individual Talent” (1922).

Ellison, Ralph - Invisible Man (1953).

Faulkner, William - Absalom, Absalom! (1936).

Frost, Robert - “Home Burial,” “After Apple Picking,” “Neither Far Out,” “Design,”
    “Mending Wall,” “The Oven Bird,” “Never Again Would Birds’
    Song.”

Greene, Graham - The Quiet American (1955).

Hemingway, Ernest - A Farewell to Arms (1929).

Hughes, Langston - “The Negro Speaks of Rivers,” “Negro,” “Dream Variations,” “I,
    Too,” “The Weary Blues,” “The Negro Artist and the Racial
    Mountain,” “Bad Luck Card,” “Johannesburg Mines,”
    “Advertisement for the Waldorf-Astoria,” “The English,” “Drum,”
    “Goodbye Christ,” “The Same,” “Air Raid over Harlem,” “Big
    Meeting,” “When the Negro Was in Vogue,” “Freedom Train,”
    “Harlem,” “Thank You, Ma’m,” “Radioactive Red Caps” (1921–61).

Miller, Arthur – The Crucible (1953).
    Morrison, Toni – The Song of Solomon (1977).
    Naipaul, V.S. – A Bend in the River (1961).
    Plath, Sylvia - Selections from Ariel (1965): “Lady Lazarus,” “Cut,” “Ariel,” “The
    Applicant,” “Death & Co.,” “Daddy.”
    Stevens, Wallace - “Sunday Morning,” “The Idea of Order at Key West,” “The Snow
    Man,” “Peter Quince at the Clavier,” “Of Modern Poetry,” “Notes
    Toward a Supreme Fiction.”
    Thiong’o, Ngugi wa - Petals of Blood (1977); “On the Abolition of the English Department.”
    Vonnegut, Kurt - Slaughterhouse-Five

most of my friends are science nerds and they say this type of test is ridiculous (hard, unnecessary) for grad school but whatever bitches high pass like a motherfucker
    explains the faggotry you've been spamming on fb, lol, i guess you were studying. congrats, you fucking nerd

no one cares but took the common English exam a couple weeks ago. they take a shitload of books/essays/poems etc. and make you read them over the course of grad school (outside of class readings) then can randomly ask you questions about anything on the list (not plot questions, themes history connecting works/periods etc). Grades are fail, low pass, pass, high pass. High pass is almost a requirement for phd candidates.

Literature Before 1660

Chaucer, Geoffrey – Canterbury Tales: The General Prologue, The Miller’s Prologue and Tale, The Wife of Bath’s Prologue and Tale, The Man of Law’s Prologue and Tale, The Nun’s Priest’s Prologue and Tale, The Prioress’s Prologue and Tale (c. 1380)
    Donne, John – “The Canonization”, “The Extasie”, “The Flea”, “Song: Go and Catch a Falling Star”, “A Valediction: Forbidden Mourning”. Holy Sonnets: “At the Round Earth’s Imagin’d Corners”, “Death Be Not Proud”, “Batter My Heart” (Most published posthumously in 1633)
    Langland, William – The Vision of Piers Plowman (B text), passus 1-7 (c. 1360-1390)
    Milton, John – Paradise Lost books 1-4, 9, 10 (1667); L’Allegro, Il Penseroso (c. 1631); Lycidas (1637)
    Shakespeare, William – Henry IV part 1 (1597), As You Like It (1599), King Lear (1604), The Tempest (1610), Sonnets 12, 15, 18, 55, 106, 130
    Spenser, Edmund – Faerie Queene book 1, and “A Letter of the Author to Sir Walter Raleigh” (1590-96).

Swift, Johnathan – Gullivers Travels (1726), “Verses on the Death of Dr. Swift” (1739)
    Wheatley, Phillis – Selections from Poems on Various Subjects, Religious and Moral (1722): “To Maecenas”, “To The University of Cambridge, In New England”, “On Being Brought from Africa to America”, “On the Death of the Rev. Mr. George Whitefield”, “Thoughts on the Works of Providence”, “To S.M., a Young African Painter, on Seeing his Works”, “To His Excellency George Washington”

Arnold, Matthew - “Dover Beach” (written c. 1851, published 1867); “The Buried Life”
    Browning, Robert - “Porphyria’s Lover” (1836); “Soliloquy of the Spanish Cloister”
    Came” (1855).
    Carlyle, Thomas - Selections from Sartor Resartus (1834): “The Everlasting No,” “Centre
    Coleridge, Samuel Taylor – The Rime of the Ancient Mariner (1798-1817), Kubla Khan (1816), Biographia Literaria (1817) chapters 13, 14, 17.
    Crane, Stephen - “The Open Boat” (1898); “The Pace of Youth” (1898); “The Monster”
    (1899).
    Douglass, Frederick - Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass (1845 version).
    Hopkins, Gerard Manley - Poems, 1876–89: “God’s Grandeur,” “Spring,” “Pied Beauty,”
    published 1820).
    “Coney Island” (1881).
    Melville, Herman - “Bartleby the Scrivener: A Story of Wall Street” (1853); “Benito
    Cereno” (1855).

Tennyson, Alfred Lord - “The Lady of Shalott” (written 1832, published 1842); “Ulysses”

Wordsworth, William - “My Heart Leaps Up,” “Strange Fits of Passion,” “Lines Written a Few Miles above Tintern Abbey,”
    “Ode: Intimations of Immortality,” “The World Is Too Much with Us”; Preface to Lyrical Ballads (1800).

Literature Since 1900

Atwood, Margaret - The Handmaid’s Tale (1985); selections from Second Words (1982):

Frost, Robert - “Home Burial,” “After Apple Picking,” “Neither Far Out,” “Design,”
    Song.”

Hughes, Langston - “The Negro Speaks of Rivers,” “Negro,” “Dream Variations,” “I,

Plath, Sylvia - Selections from Ariel (1965): “Lady Lazarus,” “Cut,” “Ariel,” “The
    Thiong’o, Ngugi wa - Petals of Blood (1977); “On the Abolition of the English Department.”

most of my friends are science nerds and they say this type of test is ridiculous (hard, unnecessary) for grad school but whatever bitches high pass like a motherfucker
    I can't imagine reading that list in 2 years, let alone with all the other school work. Did you actually get through the list, or did you get lucky and only get asked questions on books you read? Also, what's the retake policy like for that test?

I've actually read a good portion of that list, but that is over a 10 year period, and I don't think I could bring up specifics for most of them, but I guess that's what separates me from the English PhD's . Major kudos

I would prefer not to.
    Moms Spaghetti
    Philly Special

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Pirian View Post
    I can't imagine reading that list in 2 years, let alone with all the other school work. Did you actually get through the list, or did you get lucky and only get asked questions on books you read? Also, what's the retake policy like for that test?

I've actually read a good portion of that list, but that is over a 10 year period, and I don't think I could bring up specifics for most of them, but I guess that's what separates me from the English PhD's . Major kudos
    I got through about 90% of the list (I tried several times to get through vindication of the rights of women, but couldnt do it. sorry, isla!). They recommend at least 70% of each time period read. Some people I know read pretty much nothing and sparknoted as much as they could, hell most of us are convinced one person cheated on their exam by wikiing shit during it. The general consensus is that my study partner and myself read more than pretty much everyone else, and my study partner is not happy she didn't get high pass lol (she doesn't even want to go for phd so idk what her problem is. women). Retake policy is only once per year so if you fail you done goofed.

As far as "luck" in what questions are asked, the exam is split into 2 days, each day being 4 hours long. day one you get 4 possible questions from the 4 time periods, for a total of 16 possible questions, however you only have to answer 2 questions from each period, so a total of 8 answers (essays). They tell you you should spend about 30 minutes per answer. Out of all the questions there were probably only 2-3 I would have been uncomfortable trying to answer. Day one the questions were more specific to individual works than day 2 (which was 8 possible questions with only 2 being answered, however they were longer essays, one 1 hour essay and one 2 hour essay); because of this on day 1 a lot of people admitted to answering questions on works they didn't read but had general ideas of the work. Again, specifics aren't that important, as historical aspects, themes, structure, and theoretical frameworks (post/colonialism, gender/feminism, race/ethnicity, religion (jew/chri), politics (capital/marx/social)) are more important. Of course, knowing specific examples of these frameworks in a text is important, so at the same time there are some things worth remembering from each text as you go through them.

also, yeah you get 2ish years to go through the list, but I took the exam my first year because I wanted to get it the fuck over with. so now I have another year of classes with my professors and phd advisor going "why are you still here?"

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

Quote Originally Posted by Myrrh_Quetz View Post
    Did a Modern Grand Pre Trial today for Magic The Gathering. Used a deck I never played with once, went 3/3 but managed to kill someone with 20 infect on turn 2 with a not infect deck. So that was win in my mind
    grats, but how?

I would prefer not to.
    Moms Spaghetti
    Philly Special

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Abandon View Post
    explains the faggotry you've been spamming on fb, lol, i guess you were studying. congrats, you fucking nerd
    don't worry I still have plenty of reading to do to spam on bookface

jerk :<

Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

ilu2bb

C A P S UNLEASH THE FURY
    BG Level

Literature Before 1660

Came” (1855).
    (1899).
    published 1820).
    “Coney Island” (1881).
    Cereno” (1855).

Literature Since 1900

Song.”

As a fellow lit nerd this is pretty awesome and definitely a big accomplishment.

Don't you feel like some of their choices are a bit odd? Like the works they choose for certain authors... I would never choose Absalom Absalom if I had to assign one Faulkner work, or As You Like it for that matter. No Homer or Virgil or Dante seems a bit odd too, also the Song of Solomon instead of like a bunch of her other work, also no Ezra Pound makes me sad.

That is definitely impressive as fuck though, I've read about half of that throughout my schooling and liked about 25% of it.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Galois Evariste
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Literature Before 1660

Came” (1855).
    (1899).
    published 1820).
    “Coney Island” (1881).
    Cereno” (1855).

Literature Since 1900

Song.”

That's pretty impressive, and you've pretty much convinced me to never do graduate work in English. I did graduate work in statistics, and that was more than enough for me. High respect for going through that, and especially getting a high pass.

The 69th Donor
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by Galois View Post
    That's pretty impressive, and you've pretty much convinced me to never do graduate work in English.
    This - I'm not sure if teachers would have the same graduate work as pure English majors, but that looks scary. Then again, I would never go for a PhD, just a Masters if I did it, but yeah. Crazy.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Aksannyi View Post
    This - I'm not sure if teachers would have the same graduate work as pure English majors, but that looks scary. Then again, I would never go for a PhD, just a Masters if I did it, but yeah. Crazy.
    As a teacher I only had to take two extra classes to get my Master's, so not really.

In fact, I think you said you just got into education school, I would ask if they offer a graduate program with it. If I hadn't done the masters with the program, then I would have had to take a full coursework afterwards.

The 69th Donor
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Oh I might do that then. I'll look into it.

THANKS KSANDRA.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Aksannyi View Post
    Oh I might do that then. I'll look into it.

THANKS KSANDRA.
    No problem! I know not all programs do it, but it never hurts to ask. Saves you a fuckton of time and money if they do. Granted this was also ten years ago now, so who knows if they are even allowed to do it anymore rofl.

I would prefer not to.
    Moms Spaghetti
    Philly Special

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Xajii View Post
    As a fellow lit nerd this is pretty awesome and definitely a big accomplishment.

Don't you feel like some of their choices are a bit odd? Like the works they choose for certain authors... I would never choose Absalom Absalom if I had to assign one Faulkner work, or As You Like it for that matter. No Homer or Virgil or Dante seems a bit odd too, also the Song of Solomon instead of like a bunch of her other work, also no Ezra Pound makes me sad.

That is definitely impressive as fuck though, I've read about half of that throughout my schooling and liked about 25% of it.
    they have different lists for different years (some works like PL are important enough to be on both) but yeah the choices are pretty random. Pound and Beloved have been on other exams. The reason for no Virgil/homer/dante, and others, is because they state the works must have been composed in English. I asked why we had to read Plato and Aristotle with that logic, and was told they are important theoretical works.

There was not one question directly related to Aristotle or Plato on the exam. Important theoretical works indeed.

Edit: late edit but Absalom Absalom was pretty awesome. Thomas Sutpen is the man and the ending was great. I don't hate it! I don't hate it!

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Azuremyst

1.Go to google translate,
    2. type in ...............
    3. select Japanese
    4. Hit the "listen" button (little speaker icon)
    5. laugh like a hyena.

Random funny. Guess it could be considered a win?

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarman View Post
    1.Go to google translate,
    2. type in ...............
    3. select Japanese
    4. Hit the "listen" button (little speaker icon)
    5. laugh like a hyena.

Random funny. Guess it could be considered a win?
    Holy shit.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I love it when I get a teenager on his first day as my sandwich artist at Subway. Not being sarcastic, I really do. Three reasons!
    1. They are so friendly, not having yet had their soul crushed by working in a service or retail industry.
    2. They always give you WAY more meat than you are supposed to get.
    3. They always forget to ring up something with your purchase. Free Sun Chips? SCORE!

Closed Thread
Page 11 of 486 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 ... LastLast