sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Aksannyi View Post

Thank you all for shitting on something that made me happy.
    It's what we do!

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Should be fine but change that shit I'd you ever get an interview or change jobs.

Why people are making it out to be a big thing is funny... Shit can be changed anytime.

Same goes for tattoos . don't have them on your face or anywhere you can't cover up and your fine.

The 69th Donor
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by Brill Weave View Post
    You know I love you Aks but this is a flat out naive comment. For the job you have now it's alright. I get it. It's a make ends meet job until graduation. But if you walk out into the workforce thinking people will look past appearance during an you are sadly mistaken.
    I'm aware of that, which is why I'm taking the opportunity to do it now, while I still can. I know I won't be able to do it when I enter the teaching profession (except, as I stated, during summer break).

I wouldn't have gone on an interview like that, of course not. Maybe that perception will eventually change, but yeah of course I wouldn't have shown up on my first day with purple hair. I'd like to see it change because I personally don't think hair color = work ethic, but then again, I've always been pretty accepting of people and willing to give them a chance. Most people aren't, and I get that. I'm just excited because I'm finally in a position where I can do it with no negative repercussions.

True skill only comes from macro switching all your e-peen gear thru 10 pages
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I for one support women with colorful hair. Just the other day I ran into a girl with green hair... swoon

I personally just wouldn't work at a place I thought would have issues with something as stupid as the color of your hair. It's not a matter of "would my boss mind?". If my boss would mind, I more than likely wouldn't be working there in the first place lol. Everything in moderation. More laid back work places tend to have happier employees.

Not everyone is in the position to "cherry pick" employment though. I usually am.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Well my comment was more directed at Ace, not Aky's.

The 69th Donor

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by Quixon View Post
    More laid back work places tend to have happier employees.
    Definitely agree with this. If this place weren't laid back then I would have quit months ago.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Made 150 bucks after fees from apple stock today in about 5 mins of work. Made my day after they just sent me 40 dollars for dividends. Aww yeah.

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

Since my job went corporate, there's now a dress code that includes no hats. Ironically, they gave us free hats for the annual summer picnic. We got asked not to wear them at work despite having our company logo on it.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Melena View Post
    Depends on where you work. My current employer, I can not have any visible tattoo's, no visible piercings, no long hair, no beards (medial or religious exemptions allowed) and hair has to be a natural color (no neon colors). My previous employer you could have your ears pierced or have visible tats, but you couldn't have any of those god awful ear spacer things, you had to cover those up with bandaids while at work. The more interaction you have with the public, typically the more restrictive an employer can be with how you look.
    And, as Quixon said as well, I would not work for someone who restricted things like that. I don't know where to draw the line on appearance, but I don't think it is anywhere near hair color. I would draw it closer to self mutilation (those god awful ear spacers) than anything that is easily changed.

I also will not beg for a job or allow my employer to run over me. In return, I have great work ethic, I get shit done, and I have large amounts of knowledge in many areas of business/manufacturing. Something as stupid as my appearance has no bearing on my ability to design, test, and bring to market your products or my ability to fix your machines and manage your employees.

With that said, I also understand how to impress people and am very good at reading people as well. I know not to show up to an interview in a Spiderman costume. Because moderation and reason are not that hard to figure out.

Sorry you felt attacked Aksannyi. That was not my intent. I was just more incredulous that your employer had (has) enough influence on you that you felt you needed to ask permission. That's a major fail on your employer's part for making you feel that way.

The 69th Donor

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by Acevalefor View Post
    Sorry you felt attacked Aksannyi. That was not my intent. I was just more incredulous that your employer had (has) enough influence on you that you felt you needed to ask permission. That's a major fail on your employer's part for making you feel that way.
    Nah, you're good. I don't mind a little bit of clashing opinions here and there, that's what discussion forums are all about, after all. And I think most employers would probably be more on the natural hair color side than not, although perceptions are slowly changing, similarly to the way that tattoos are starting to become accepted. I guess it also depends where, geographically, you fall. Some areas may be more progressive than others.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aksannyi View Post
    although perceptions are slowly changing
    I saw a video segment from RT where the newscaster had the normal professional bearing you'd expect to see, she just happened to be rocking partially dyed hair and a series of eyebrow rings.
    It was refreshing to see, until you realized it was just demo bait instead of actual change.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Well for us, the no visible tattoo's is due to two things. 1. We had a deputy who did a lot of bicycle patrol who had some leg tats and people said it didn't look professional, so the Sheriff decided that due to that + the possiblity of an inmate getting offended by a tat that all tats have to be covered. I blame more public perception then anything else. How many people are going to take a cop who just pulled them over seriously if they have neon purple hair? I don't necessarily agree with it, but even for civilians, law enforcement is similar to the military. You fall in line, adhere to their standards, or go work somewhere else. And since I enjoy my job, I adhere to their grooming standards.

The beard/facial hair thing makes sense for food places. Even if "well groomed" hair falls out, and many times those hairs resemble body hair from another place, soooo. I get that.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Shiiit, I'd love to be able to bring the cornrows back son!

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Makes me cry working in the corporate word, but pays just to god damn good.

I'll take being clean cut and in a jacket everyday for the right pay, and I think most would.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

mayo clinic has lots of rules about that shit, but it depends on what youre doing. if youre a cook, you can pretty much do whatever (hairnet for beards). if you're a receptionist, you have to have the clean cut look, tats need to be covered, and facial piercings need to be removed. it's about presenting an image for the company. if you have cancer and you fly across the country (or world) to go to a top hospital, it would be somewhat disconcerting to have some punk in grunge wheel you up to oncology.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Being a professional and looking professionally are two different things though.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by Gokulo View Post
    Being a professional and looking professionally are two different things though.
    You would think that, but corporate world hasn't caught up to that.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Xno Kappa View Post
    Shiiit, I'd love to be able to bring the cornrows back son!
    Haha. Pusha T styles.

Hair and tattoo's are more accepted in today's workforce. However there is a limit.

Got a 12% raise. Then 2 weeks later got full benefits. Just found out person above me is phasing out, so ill be getting his position.

Closed Thread
Page 53 of 486 FirstFirst ... 3 43 51 52 53 54 55 63 103 ... LastLast