FFXI Server
    Bahamut

2014 Fantasy Baseball Thread: Leading the league in Quality Posts

THIS IS BREGOR'S STORY
    Beard +1

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Also a bunch of teams are already switching closers: http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/eric...l/post?id=3137

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by Bregor View Post
    Also a bunch of teams are already switching closers: http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/eric...l/post?id=3137
    Fuck you insider.....

THIS IS BREGOR'S STORY
    Beard +1

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Melena View Post
    Fuck you insider.....
    Sorry

If the first full day of the 2014 major league season is any indication, it’s going to be a ridiculous season for big league closers, more so than normal. In a span of a few hours Monday there was one news item after another affecting the crazy world of saves, and we’ve got another six months of this. Pace yourselves.

Let’s go in time order and remember, not every team played Monday. And still all this occurred.

Baltimore Orioles: It was hardly a surprise, but Orioles manager Buck Showalter formally announced right-hander Tommy Hunter would be his closer around lunchtime, and a few hours later save opportunity No. 1 came calling. Of course, who knows how long Hunter keeps the job. I maintain that unless Hunter finds a new pitch with which to effectively handle lefty hitters, there will be other Orioles seeing save chances. Last season, lefties hit .294 off Hunter with 11 home runs (a robust .535 slugging percentage). Please! I’d say get ready to add Darren O'Day (who was worse against lefties in 2013, by the way) but he wasn’t used to set up Hunter on Monday. Instead it was former Pittsburgh Pirates All-Star Evan Meek (look it up!) and lefty Brian Matusz. The Orioles' September closer might not be on the current roster, but Hunter for now even if he can’t get the job done, which after Monday’s outing seems a reasonable expectation. There were two men on and two out when the ridiculously high strike that called out Jackie Bradley Jr. on Monday saved him from perhaps eventually blowing the lead.

Chicago White Sox: A few minutes later, around lunchtime on the East Coast, in what can be regarded as a rather significant surprise, White Sox manager Robin Ventura tabbed right-hander Matt Lindstrom as his ninth-inning fellow over right-hander Nate Jones. It’s not that Jones is so awesome that there shouldn’t have been debate about the role, but really, Matt Lindstrom? He had last saved a game in 2011. The well-traveled journeyman saved 15 games for the 2009 Florida Marlins and 20 for the 2010 Colorado Rockies, with a WHIP of precisely 1.65 each time. On Monday, Lindstrom threw strikes to earn the save, but I’d keep Jones owned in 10- and 12-team formats a bit longer just in case Lindstrom's career trends resurface. In 2013 Lindstrom let lefties hit .317 off him with a .400 OBP. Honestly, do managers just not pay attention?

New York Mets: Now the games have started and a few get to the late innings. Excitable New York Mets right-hander Jose Valverde -- yep, him -- fans three of the four Washington Nationals he faces. Every other Mets reliever fails to do his job; two of them issue four-pitch walks to their lone hitter, while three others combine to permit five hits and five runs while retiring six hitters. One of them is closer Bobby Parnell, and the change from spring games to real ones didn’t help his fastball velocity one bit. This will not end well, folks. Now we know Parnell's MCL is partially torn, but he may not be out for more than a few weeks. However, in standard leagues, you can probably drop him. Personally, I would like to see what Jeurys Familia can do in the closer's role. Valverde, despite his Monday outing and post-strikeout happy dance, isn’t any good, but you’d better add him now because he’s absolutely next in line. And no, this is not an April Fools' Day joke.

Milwaukee Brewers: While the Mets were imploding in extra innings the Brewers, with no hints of this being discussed, turned to wily vet Francisco Rodriguez to finish a 2-0 win over the Atlanta Braves. Um, what’s wrong with right-hander Jim Henderson? K-Rod, saver of 305 games in his career (21st all-time, second among active pitchers to Detroit Tigers right-hander Joe Nathan), did the job well enough despite a very loud Chris Johnson foul ball out to deep left and a Justin Upton single, and after the game manager Ron Roenicke shares the news that this was his plan all along. It’s a bit ironic, actually, so soon after Parnell struggled. Henderson wasn’t in top-notch form at the end of spring games, and Roenicke made a switch. Mets manager Terry Collins stayed with his slower-tossing option. I still think Henderson saves 30 games, but there’s a real possibility he is hurt, as well, clouding the immediate future. Or he saves the next game. Don’t drop Henderson yet, but if ranking the surprise closers from Monday in terms of who to add first, I’d actually go Rodriguez, then Lindstrom and then Valverde. But none of them saves 25 games.

Oakland Athletics: Meanwhile while East Coasters were sleeping, Oakland Athletics right-hander Jim Johnson struggled in his debut. He started the top of the ninth in a scoreless game and soon it wasn’t scoreless, as he allowed two hits and hit a batter, leading to two runs. Johnson has a bit of job security, but former San Diego Padres right-hander Luke Gregerson was also acquired this offseason and his seventh inning was impressive: nine pitches, nine strikes, two whiffs, nary a baserunner. Lefty Sean Doolittle hurled the eighth. Johnson should be fine, but handcuffing Gregerson to him isn’t a bad idea. Then in the bottom of the ninth, Cleveland Indians right-hander John Axford did his best to mess things up in his own team debut by throwing only 12 of 26 pitches for strikes, walking a pair. He got the save, but Cody Allen remains one of the top setup men for fantasy purposes, just in case. For now, keep owning Johnson and Axford, and the latter remains in a more precarious spot despite getting the save.

Arizona Diamondbacks: Another late game also saw the closers struggle as Diamondbacks right-hander Addison Reed and San Francisco Giants right-hander Sergio Romo each permitted runs in a 9-8 game. Reed served up the mammoth two-run homer to Buster Posey. Romo gave one up to Miguel Montero. OK, I’m tired now. Was any closer not a story on Monday? Romo is safer than Reed, but his terrible spring numbers -- ostensibly due to not throwing all his pitches -- could be noteworthy. Santiago Casilla awaits, but would prospect Heath Hembree simply vault over him? In Arizona, J.J. Putz closed last year, he could do so again. For now don’t panic on Reed or Romo. Yet.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

you son of a bitch

GATTACA!
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

definitely a Quality Thread Title

THIS IS BREGOR'S STORY
    Beard +1

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    you son of a bitch
    Sorry mang, here have a red panda gif:

C A P S UNLEASH THE FURY
    BG Level

Yeah the Orioles closer situation is totally up in the air.

I'm surprised that O'Day didn't get the 8th inning yesterday because frankly that is his bread and butter. He so rarely disappoints. He's knockout for an inning - but for the 9th? Maybe not so much. A closer needs good stuff, but he also needs the mental fortitude required to deal with the immense pressure of certain situations, and I don't know if O'Day is that guy.

Ryan Webb is definitely going to be in the mix in the coming months for the closer spot.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

goddamnit

you are forgiven

Fuck It, I'm Goin Deep Fan Club President
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

awwwwwwwwwwwww

Also, quality starts sucks

Death by snoo snoo
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syntax Error
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

Quote Originally Posted by Cail View Post
    awwwwwwwwwwwww

Also, quality starts sucks
    No more relievers stealing wins. There goes my entire strategy from last year.

Death by snoo snoo
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syntax Error
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

God damn it Wainwright, how dare you allow 4 runs in 7 innings and get a win.

Think of my god damn fantasy team

Fuck It, I'm Goin Deep Fan Club President
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

He got me one in my irl league =)

THIS IS BREGOR'S STORY
    Beard +1

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Nick Castellanos still isn't 3B eligible. 6 starts at 3B. I guess ESPN is 10? FML.

Also my team stinks. BUST HARPER

Death by snoo snoo
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syntax Error
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

Damn, my offense blew yesterday, but Cliff Lee and Johnny Cueto gave me 2 complete games, 1 ER between the two and 25 strikeouts.

Cueto gonna be the best low round pick if he stays healthy. Dude's Cy Youngish through 4 starts.

C A P S UNLEASH THE FURY
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Headspace View Post
    if he stays healthy
    lol. it's just not possible

Death by snoo snoo
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syntax Error
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

Quote Originally Posted by Xajii View Post
    lol. it's just not possible
    DUSTY GONE

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

So far this season in my money league my pitching is legit. CG's from Wainright, Teheran (both of them shutouts) and Lee, + 8 innings of shutout ball from Tanaka. Now if only my offense can start performing, i'm set.

THIS IS BREGOR'S STORY
    Beard +1

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Just realized I had Matt Moore in both money and BG leagues. Wheeeeeeeee

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Chris Davis OTB, looking for some RP/3B if anyone's interested