Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Ebola Outbreak     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deejay Zombie
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

who needs to worry about ebola when we've got crazy fucks making potentially more infectious and deadly viruses in a lab

http://host.madison.com/news/local/h...301a84b53.html

Yoshihiro Kawaoka, the UW-Madison scientist whose bird flu research sparked international controversy and a moratorium two years ago, has created another potentially deadly flu virus in his lab at University Research Park.

Kawaoka used genes from several bird flu viruses to construct a virus similar to the 1918 pandemic flu virus that killed up to 50 million people worldwide. He tweaked the new virus so it spread efficiently in ferrets, an animal model for human flu.

Absolute Messenger of Promathia
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by djzombie View Post
    who needs to worry about ebola when we've got crazy fucks making potentially more infectious and deadly viruses in a lab

http://host.madison.com/news/local/h...301a84b53.html
    This it feels like the fucking origin story to a super villain. Seriously, we're about a week away from him holding the world hostage with this hit and asking for 100 mil.

Edit: reading into it, I generally know its for research as quoted:

Kawaoka, who reports on his new work Wednesday in the journal Cell Host and Microbe, said his research helps efforts to identify problematic viruses and develop drugs and vaccines against them.
    but srsly... dudes making super viruses x.x

As log the lab isn't hidden underneath an unsuspecting mansion in the hills I think we're ok.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Niiro View Post
    As log the lab isn't hidden underneath an unsuspecting mansion in the hills I think we're ok.
    Raccoon City is where it should be. Out in the open next to a major population center ala Plum Island wasn't the best decision.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

trending thing on FB says one of the main doctors fighting the outbreak got infected

FB? Worst source for whats in the news. Saw the article this morning, but couldn't be bothered to finish reading it less posting. Shitty situation considering the high mortality rate. Likely scenario the doctor pictured happening, so can't feel too bad.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

yeah I just happened to notice the word ebola and realized I hadn't heard anything about it lately so I figured I'd post it/bump thread

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Minnesotan dies five days after being diagnosed, was discovered he had the virus after traveling by plane from Liberia to Nigeria
    Patrick Sawyer had one stop to make before heading home to Minnesota to celebrate his daughters' birthdays: a conference in Lagos, Nigeria.

But when he landed in Lagos, Sawyer, 40, collapsed getting off the plane. He had been infected with Ebola in Liberia, where he worked as a top government official in the Liberian Ministry of Finance.

Sawyer was isolated at a local Nigerian hospital on July 20. He died five days later.

Sawyer's wife Decontee Sawyer, lives in Coon Rapids, Minnesota, with the couple's three young daughters, 5-year-old Eva, 4-year-old Mia, and Bella, who is 1. The Sawyers are naturalized citizens; their daughters were born in the United States.

"He was so proud when he became a U.S. citizen," Decontee told CNN. "He voted for first time in the last U.S. presidential election. He lived in the U.S. for many years, and wanted that for Liberia -- a better democracy."

Sawyer is the first American to die in what health officials are calling the "deadliest Ebola outbreak in history." His death has sparked concerns that the virus could potentially spread to the United States.

"People weren't really taking it [Ebola] seriously until it hit Patrick," Decontee said. "People are ready to take action."
    http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/29/health...html?hpt=hp_t1

So hard we fuck rocks
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Coon rapids

when easily rearanged becomes:

Racoon IDPS

OR

RACOON I.D.P.S (Intrusion Detection and Prevention Service)

pretty sure they invented it, and in a few months it will have consumed most life on the planet.

<going to hell.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

uhhhh
    ATLANTA – Emory University Hospital has been informed of plans to transfer a patient with the Ebola virus to its special facility containment unit within the next several days.

It is not known when the patient will arrive.

In a release, the Atlanta hospital said they have a specially built isolation unit set up in collaboration with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to treat patients who are exposed to certain serious infectious diseases. The facility, they said, is physically separate from other patient areas of the hospital and is equipped to provide an extremely high level of clinical isolation.

Emory's facility is one of only four of its type in the nation.

A medical transport plane departed the United States on Thursday afternoon, headed to Liberia to pick up an American Ebola patient.

Two American medical missionaries working with Ebola patients in Liberia have been diagnosed with the virus. Kent Brantly and Nancy Writebol, who worked at a medical center operated by the North Carolina-based Samaritan's Purse, were listed in stable but grave condition, according to a statement from the organization.

CDC Director Dr. Thomas Frieden said he doubted Ebola could spread in the United States. "That is not in the cards," he told reporters Thursday.

State Department spokeswoman Marie Harf said the federal government was helping organize any needed evacuations.

"The State Department, together with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which has the lead for the U.S. government in the Ebola situation, is working to facilitate access to aviation services for medical evacuations for U.S. citizens directly affected by the current Ebola outbreak in West Africa," Harf told NBC News.

"If and when that happens ... every precaution will be taken to move the patients safety and securely to provide critical care en route and to maintain strict isolation upon arrival in the United States," she added.
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...ient/13434883/

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

We're fucked.

Mr. Anna Kendrick
    BGs Worst Golde Abuser

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Charles Barkley
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Now is when we need the immigration protestors to stop a bus LOL

Fuck It, I'm Goin Deep Fan Club President
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Welp

Groinlonger
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Got bored a few days ago and wrote a small program that skims the CDC/WHO internet data to generate some plots.

Spoiler: show

Fuck It, I'm Goin Deep Fan Club President
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

if this catches in the U.S. and wipes out a bunch of people, i'mma blame the anti-vaxers

don't care if there's no vaccine for this, it's still the exact scenario they're courting

I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

Why are you guys afraid of a single person under quarantine being transferred to the US? Do you know ebola isn't airborn?

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    Why are you guys afraid of a single person under quarantine being transferred to the US? Do you know ebola isn't airborn?
    Because movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    Murphy's Law.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in terms of how it is transmitted, it's like being afraid that aids will go airborn. Hell, AIDS kills slower so technically is more likely