BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Just got around to watching the episode and oh my yes.

I haven't read the books*, but it isn't very confusing.

*I have however read Niven, Eclipse Phase, watched Babylon 5, etc. and the kind of structure of what's going on is nothing new, just a very good execution.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

I haven't watched the episode yet because I've been busy; might tomorrow. Curious how far it gets into the story. Any Firefly vibes? I got 'em reading the books, hoping they'll be there in the show, too.

Edit: Also, yeah, it'll take at least a few episodes to really get up to steam. Just a lot to establish right away. (vague book information, not really a spoiler but tagging it anyway cos i dont want people to have shit explained that they didnt want explained, if that makes sense)
    Spoiler: show
    Yeah, Earth stuff probably could have waited since none of the characters are even directly introduced until much later

This is one of my favorite IPs. Really hoping it goes well and continues to.

GATTACA!
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Cantih View Post
    Just got around to watching the episode and oh my yes.

I haven't read the books*, but it isn't very confusing.

*I have however read Niven, Eclipse Phase, watched Babylon 5, etc. and the kind of structure of what's going on is nothing new, just a very good execution.
    you're probably the target audience anyway so if it worked for you, that's a good sign

Quote Originally Posted by BaneTheBrawler View Post
    I haven't watched the episode yet because I've been busy; might tomorrow. Curious how far it gets into the story. Any Firefly vibes? I got 'em reading the books, hoping they'll be there in the show, too.

Edit: Also, yeah, it'll take at least a few episodes to really get up to steam. Just a lot to establish right away. (vague book information, not really a spoiler but tagging it anyway cos i dont want people to have shit explained that they didnt want explained, if that makes sense)
    Yeah, Earth stuff probably could have waited since none of the characters are even directly introduced until much later

This is one of my favorite IPs. Really hoping it goes well and continues to.
    Not really with the Firefly vibes, obviously much more serious tone.

maybe later in the series once the core four have been together for a while. I think the guy playing Amos is perfect

My guess with the Earth stuff is it helps them establish the conflict between Earth and OPA and introduces a main character in Avasarala, also played by a top billed actress

but yeah I'm with you, I love the series. they seem to have a solid group of writers already so nailing the casting is a really good sign

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

you're pleased with the casting then? i was concerned they'd be too young, but if they pull it off that's fantastic

GATTACA!

BG Level

you're pleased with the casting then? i was concerned they'd be too young, but if they pull it off that's fantastic
    yeah, can't make too much of a conclusion based on one episode, but both physically and personality wise they seem to have nailed it.

Holden's actor will have the toughest task blending his naive morality and charisma, but I think he did a great job in the first ep. and for some reason I already think the Amos actor is perfect even though he has barely done anything yet

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Claire Farron
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Just finished up through Episode 4 and I have to say it's not really hooking me like BSG did. I think it's because the character development is really shallow and we're following 3 different point of views. It's nice to see that they are building up to something big.

Also to note, I haven't read any of the books.

Episode 2-4 spoiler:
    I'd be really happy if they did some character development before killing off motherfuckers. They off the hottest chick in the first episode. They take potshots at the remaining crew in episodes 2-4 and at this point it makes me want to not really get attached to anyone. It's not a surprise, it's not adding to experience. I'm not really feeling anything when they off a character so far. I think the overall plot is moving way too quickly for anything to build up as far as character development is concerned.

I'm stoked about the overall plot. The Cant/Mars stuff is the meat and potatoes of the story for me. The political stuff on Earth is pretty meh. Ceres station is getting interesting. I'm definitely going to keep watching but this isn't the second coming of BSG that all the critics are making it out to be.

GATTACA!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Burningthought View Post
    Just finished up through Episode 4 and I have to say it's not really hooking me like BSG did. I think it's because the character development is really shallow and we're following 3 different point of views. It's nice to see that they are building up to something big.

Also to note, I haven't read any of the books.

Episode 2-4 spoiler:
    I'd be really happy if they did some character development before killing off motherfuckers. They off the hottest chick in the first episode. They take potshots at the remaining crew in episodes 2-4 and at this point it makes me want to not really get attached to anyone. It's not a surprise, it's not adding to experience. I'm not really feeling anything when they off a character so far. I think the overall plot is moving way too quickly for anything to build up as far as character development is concerned.

I'm stoked about the overall plot. The Cant/Mars stuff is the meat and potatoes of the story for me. The political stuff on Earth is pretty meh. Ceres station is getting interesting. I'm definitely going to keep watching but this isn't the second coming of BSG that all the critics are making it out to be.
    thanks for the bump, I gotta catch up

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

hah. i also gotta catch up but that spoiler... keep watchin, burning. just based on your description i'd say the show is maybe a fifth of the way into the first book.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Claire Farron
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

hah. i also gotta catch up but that spoiler... keep watchin, burning. just based on your description i'd say the show is maybe a fifth of the way into the first book.
    Yeah I sounded kinda pessimistic but i'm enjoying the show. Unless they go full retard (Helix...) i'm in for the long haul. I'm also going to buy up the books when I get a chance.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

So I finally got around to watching the first 4 episodes today. FUCKING HYPED

Still a little hard to reconcile the ages of the actors (especially Fred- I pictured him as white, on top of the age thing. Very weird, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. Actor seems good), but I'm loving the way they're keeping the narrative in line with the books. Avasarala is perfect aside from, again, the age thing. But I guess with the extended lifetimes, it's feasible that they'd look younger. Hadn't thought of that. Guess it'll just take me some time to adjust.

I fucking loved the (very, very minor show spoiler)
    proselytizing Mormon.
    I also love the Earth storyline. It's fucking perfect because... reasons.

(VERY MAJOR BOOK SPOILERS DO NOT CLICK IF YOU HAVE NOT FINISHED NEMESIS GAMES AND BEFORE. SERIOUSLY PLEASE DONT SPOIL THIS FOR YOURSELF)
    NO SERIOUSLY DONT CLICK THIS
    the stealth materials omg! gonna fucking blindside the shit out of everyone even worse than the books did. this kind of shit is what i mean by "narrative"

This series, man. I'm so excited to see how show-only folks react and what they think about it.

Micronesian Thunder
    Get Down On It

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Blackrock

Finished Nemesis Games last week, just finished watching episode 1. I imagined Miller looking far older through massive alcoholism, Thomas Jane just doesn't fit my mental picture.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

Episode 5 out. hnnng. Noticed a couple extremely minor errors (wide beam instead of tightbeam) but still staying pretty dang close to the books. Still pretty early on in the first book.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Just slammed through the first 5 episodes.

Holy shit I love it.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Claire Farron
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

As of episode 5 I feel that the Expanse is finally hitting it's stride. The first four episodes felt jammed packed and the plot seemed to move way too quickly. It really needed a slower episode to develop the plot and character development a bit more. I felt like all my complaints with the first four episodes were addressed with episode 5 and that made it so much more enjoyable for me. So moving on to my impressions.

I'm starting to enjoy Miller's arc a lot more. I wasn't really fond of his side of things at first with all the action happening with James and Naomi, but now that I got my dick wet I can start appreciating the politics and subtleties of belter life. I'm curious how Julie Mao fits into all the chaos especially with the OPA and the mysterious 4th party that arrived in Episode 4. The Fred Johnson flashbacks were really interesting too. I've really been itching to read the books and I might start the first book once the first season is over just so my mental image of the characters will match up.

Also, I think it's a little strange that we're not seeing Avasarala's side of things in this episode but my understanding is that a lot of stuff that happens from her point of view is in the second book so I guess that's fine. I don't suppose she really needs to play a part with the Cant and Ceres station shit since they already figured out that it isn't Mars that's trying to provoke a war.

At this point i'm really happy with the show. It's still going to get compared to Battlestar Galatica since it's really Syfy's only other critical hit, but I have come to terms that it's not going to be the second coming of BSG in terms of themes and characters. The more I separate the Expanse from BSG the more I start to enjoy it.

It's really tough to not buy the entire Expanse book series right now.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

If you want to cave a bit on the books without spoiling the main storylines, you could read some of the novellas. The Churn and The Butcher of Anderson Station (one guess who that's about) are both prequels that establish some background on characters we've met already. Don't read the other two until you've read the books or the show advances further.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I may just abstain from the books for the first time in my life. I'm really enjoying and I don't want to nitpick.

Man, I must be growing up.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Claire Farron
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

If you want to cave a bit on the books without spoiling the main storylines, you could read some of the novellas. The Churn and The Butcher of Anderson Station (one guess who that's about) are both prequels that establish some background on characters we've met already. Don't read the other two until you've read the books or the show advances further.
    The moment I start reading is when i'm going to lose all self control and binge read the entire series and i'll binge through it in 1-2 days.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Burningthought View Post
    The moment I start reading is when i'm going to lose all self control and binge read the entire series and i'll binge through it in 1-2 days.
    This is my burden too.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

Can't say I blame you guys. I'm not sure I'd have the self control for it either. They're really good books. And like I said, the show is only maybe a fifth or sixth into the first book, so you'd VERY quickly spoil the show.

Edit: If you do end up breaking, though, the show is still loads of fun, as long as you don't get too caught up on the minor changes they inevitably make. I'm having a blast with it.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

Episode 6 is gated behind a cable loginwall on SyFy's website, but you can buy the individual episode on Xbox Movies & TV. Or iTunes, I'm told. I think SD is the only available quality on Google Play.

And of course, there's the high seas.