Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Good.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I don't mind 3D, a good majority of folks on BG will tell you it's awful, but rarely do I think a film greatly benefits from 3D. IMO the only Marvel film that I'd say is a must in 3D is Dr. Strange and that's just for some of the already mind bending visuals.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Yo GotG 2 was pretty damn good 3D too.

But yeah this was one of the weaker 3Ds I've seen so forget must I wouldn't even say it necessarily added anything. That said it was a great way to ditch the crowd opening weekend when there was a huge line most going to Thor but few going to 3D lol

Duplicitous Jew with Political Aspirations
    BG Level

I saw it in 2D and loved it, but I will go see it again in 3D because I want to give films like this more money.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

I saw it a second time at one of those dine- in theaters. The lack of a loud heckler made the movie so much better. I also noticed Korg set up the "RPS kinda thing" but I missed it the first time cuz of said heckler. Not so subtle

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Another completely solid Marvel movie.
    Compared to these the DC movies just look sad, so joyless and barren of color. Watching the Justice League trailer before this movie just drove that home for me even more.

I can't say this is my favorite Marvel movie but it was definitely extremely enjoyable. I felt bad for
    Spoiler: show

Banner though, I feel like no matter what he's getting the short end of the stick and spinning it as nothing but a joke instead of the tragedy it is, especially in this movie where he was essentially in a coma for 2 years, is pretty unfair to his character. The "joke" near the end where he heroically jumps out the spaceship to save people, deciding to give up his humanity perhaps forever, and it turns into a basic pratfall joke felt way too heavy-handed on the humor for me. I know it's Thor's movie and not Hulk's (will he even get another movie?) but I just can't help thinking he should have been treated a little more seriously.

Everything involving Loki was great, though.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syaoran Li
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

I think due to some rights issues or something they can't make Hulk movies with him as the main character or something? Was something I remember seeing a while ago, no idea if it was true or not.

We built this city
    We built this city on cock and stooooooone

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

Saw this the other day. It was a lot of fun. I know a lot of people are going to say "who cares?" since Thor 2 was pretty bad and most people didn't like the first one, but my major complaint was that Thor wasn't really Thor in this. You could've had Tony or Peter Quill delivering most of the dialogue and it wouldn't have seemed any different.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Deftscythe View Post
    Saw this the other day. It was a lot of fun. I know a lot of people are going to say "who cares?" since Thor 2 was pretty bad and most people didn't like the first one, but my major complaint was that Thor wasn't really Thor in this. You could've had Tony or Peter Quill delivering most of the dialogue and it wouldn't have seemed any different.
    I see what you're saying, but I think his time on Earth had changed him a lot. From Thor 1 through the Avengers movies and up to now he has gotten progressively more humorous and less stiff/stuffy thanks to being around people who need humor to survive. Sure this was turned up to 11 but

he said a line in the movie like "life is about change and moving forward", which is kind of the opposite of what an immortal civilization like Asgard concerns itself with, but I think it was to show the audience that by this point, he's fully embraced being human as a way of life and with that comes injecting humor into terrible situations to make them more palatable. And I think the proof that humans need humor is in the pudding, judging by how this humorous film has been received so much better than the two previous more stuffy Thor movies. So yeah, it could have been Quill or Tony or any other human saying those lines, transformation accomplished! :D

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

If you haven't gotten used to Marvel and quips, I don't know what to tell you.

We built this city
    We built this city on cock and stooooooone

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by Silenka View Post
    I see what you're saying, but I think his time on Earth had changed him a lot. From Thor 1 through the Avengers movies and up to now he has gotten progressively more humorous and less stiff/stuffy thanks to being around people who need humor to survive. Sure this was turned up to 11 but

he said a line in the movie like "life is about change and moving forward", which is kind of the opposite of what an immortal civilization like Asgard concerns itself with, but I think it was to show the audience that by this point, he's fully embraced being human as a way of life and with that comes injecting humor into terrible situations to make them more palatable. And I think the proof that humans need humor is in the pudding, judging by how this humorous film has been received so much better than the two previous more stuffy Thor movies. So yeah, it could have been Quill or Tony or any other human saying those lines, transformation accomplished! :D
    You can make the argument that he's changed but this feels like a completely different character from the one we saw last in Avengers 2. If a character is going to change that much it needs to happen on camera. It's not that he was was funny, it's how he was funny. The humor of Thor used to come from him being out of place anywhere but Asgard. Now I literally don't know what sets him apart from the other quippy Marvel heroes in terms of personality.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

idk he was fitting in decently better in AoU

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by Scythiroth View Post
    I think due to some rights issues or something they can't make Hulk movies with him as the main character or something? Was something I remember seeing a while ago, no idea if it was true or not.
    It is. Universal owns the rights to any solo Hulk movie. They also own the rights to any Marvel attractions in Florida, which is why Disney is putting all the marvel stuff at Disneyland

Also in reference to that joke
    I thought of it as a more funny reference to an ultimate avengers comic where they gave banner a drug to keep him from turning into the hulk, and later they needed him to become the hulk so they put him in a straight jacket, took him up in an airplane and told him to change or die and tossed him out

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

I think I need to see this again... It wasn't as good as it was hyped up to be and I was expecting. I liked Thor 1 a lot and this was good, but it wasn't in the same universe as either gotg which a lot of people seem to want to compare it or rank it next to.

It had an extremely rushed beginning, then it died forever with some random humor in between and didn't get good again until Led Zeppelin started playing. Then it kinda felt like Rogue One where those 5 incredible minutes at the end made up for everything I went through to get there.

I don't usually see things twice in theater's, even my all time favorites, but I might do this again. Maybe it's because the theater was empty so there was no energy and no one overreacting to the humor. Everything just got a single chuckle, or heh. Think I laughed harder at the snake stab line than anything, but I really laughed at that like more than most lines in any MCU movie so far.

But really I don't know where I'd rank it, I mean, I liked it, but I wasn't swooned by it like gotg. Then again I'd still put it as top 5 or even 3 for me so I don't know why I had these unrealistic expectations of going in.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Also rock dude was great would again etc.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Fucking killed it with Korg. I definitely never imagined him having a voice like that from the comics, but it worked so well.

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I honestly thought it was Rhys Darby (Murray from Flight of the Conchords). Was fucking Taika Waititi himself lol

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Oh shit, he's the guy from What We Do in the Shadows. I knew he sounded familiar!

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Melena View Post
    It is. Universal owns the rights to any solo Hulk movie. They also own the rights to any Marvel attractions in Florida, which is why Disney is putting all the marvel stuff at Disneyland

Also in reference to that joke
    I thought of it as a more funny reference to an ultimate avengers comic where they gave banner a drug to keep him from turning into the hulk, and later they needed him to become the hulk so they put him in a straight jacket, took him up in an airplane and told him to change or die and tossed him out
    Not quite, Universal has the rights to X-Men and Avengers characters on the east coast, but not all of Marvel. That's why they are able to get away with having Guardians of the Galaxy and Dr Strange in the east coast parks.