Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

How I Met Your Dad (Coming to CBS)

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3300610/
    Wiki:

Synopsis:
    The pilot stars Greta Gerwig as Sally, a female Peter Pan who has never grown up and has no idea of where she’s going in life. She has just figured out that she has nothing in common with her husband of less than a year. A breakup is inevitable, but Sally will find a solid circle of support in her friends and family, who are often too willing to give ‘good’ advice that can backfire badly. Meanwhile, Sally must filter out the input and decide what’s best for her.
    Main Cast:

Meg Ryan - Older Sally / Narrator
    Greta Gerwig - Younger Sally
    Nicholas D'Agosto - Frank
    Anders Holm - Gavin
    Andrew Santino - Danny
    Tiya Sircar - Juliet
    Drew Tarver - Todd

Notes:
    - Announcement;
    Spoiler: show
    Weeks after news of the project leaked, the network on Friday handed out a hefty pilot-production commitment and will film a pilot for How I Met Your Dad, a comedy from Mother co-creators Carter Bays and Craig Thomas and Up All Night creator Emily Spivey. The trio will pen the script and executive produce.

The project, which like How I Met Your Mother hails from 20th Century Fox Television, is in the spirit of the flagship series and will tell the story from a female point of view. It's described as a brand-new story with new characters and a new voice at its center.

Sources tell THR that the plan is to shoot the pilot as a stand-alone -- rather than a back-door planted pilot in the final season of CBS' How I Met Your Mother and it may not bleed into the series finale.

When news of the possible How I Met Your Mother spinoff came in late October, the immediate reaction was not one of overwhelming excitement. Twitter had a brief conniption, mocking the idea, while outlets such as Time even ran criticism under headlines like, "Please Do Not Make a How I Met Your Mother Spinoff."

For Spivey, How I Met Your Dad comes after the writer inked a two-year overall deal with studio 20th Century Fox following NBC's well-documented attempts to reboot Up All Night. She was previously attached to Fox's Murder Police, which the network canceled ahead of its premiere.

How I Met Your Mother, once considered a bubble series for CBS, has become an integral part of its comedy brand in its later years -- especially on Monday, where plans for 2 Broke Girls anchoring its comedy block with The Big Bang Theory and Two and a Half Men on Thursdays have underperformed.

The current season is averaging a 4.5 rating among adults 18-49 and 10.5 million viewers in live-plus-7 ratings -- making it CBS' best Monday performer and one of its youngest-skewing series across the network. In live-plus-same ratings, it has several times this season been Monday's top scripted performer in the demo, only out-rated by NBC's The Voice.

How I Met Your Dad becomes CBS' third comedy pilot for the 2014-15 season, joining The McCarthys and a semi-autobiographical comedy starring Jim Gaffigan. Both projects are being redeveloped after the network passed on both last year.

Spinoffs continue to remain big business for the broadcast networks, which have become increasingly dependent on big name brand recognition and built in audiences in an era of dwindling viewership and increased competition. For its part, ABC is also eyeing a Modern Family spinoff -- from 20th Century Fox Television -- and The CW has already announced plans for a Flash back-door pilot built in to an upcoming episode of second-year hit Arrow. CBS, meanwhile, is also prepping a New Orleans-set NCIS spinoff, and cabler AMC is readying a Walking Dead spinoff and Breaking Bad prequel.

The CW has found success this season with The Originals, a spinoff of hit The Vampire Diaries, which was just picked up for a full season. ABC, meanwhile, has seen its Wonderland-themed Once Upon a Time spinoff fizzle on Thursdays.

Bays and Thomas are repped by UTA and 3 Arts; Spivey is with UTA and Hansen Jacobson.

Following the announcement, Bays, Thomas and Spivey took to Twitter to share their excitement.

"#HIMYD probably won't be set in Maclarens -- new bar for a new show. And likewise the characters won't be introduced on #HIMYM," Bays wrote. "Our hope is that #HIMYD becomes its own magical wonderful weird thing, and the two shows stand on their own side by side."

"We will not be introducing the new characters on #HIMYM; this will be its own, totally new show," Thomas wrote.
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...-mother-656707

Episodes:

01 Pilot

Cake Mix
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Nope nope nope.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya

BG Level

I thought the project was cancelled?

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Xno Kappa View Post
    I thought the project was cancelled?
    Meg Ryan's casting was just announced yesterday.

http://www.thewrap.com/met-dad-taps-...her-character/

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

No way. HIMYM was huge, and now that it's over, they gotta make sure to keep those eyeballs. I want to say I was so disappointed by the finale that I'll refuse to watch this, but I figure I'll cave at somepoint..

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Only reason I kept up with HIMYM the whole time was the cast. This won't be the same. Pass.

Quote Originally Posted by NotGreyheim View Post
    Nope/10
    Would never watch Bays/Thomas again.
    I am a man of my word.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Serra View Post
    I want to say I was so disappointed by the finale that I'll refuse to watch this, but I figure I'll cave at somepoint..
    Same. I have no intention, but if I hear good things mid/late/end season 01, I may watch.

There are false prophets among us,
    who bring in damnable heresies,
    and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Ner'zhul

The writing was shit for 3 seasons, so I hope it's not the same writers. Either way the season was carried by brilliant acting of NPH and co, so this won't be the same.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

in fairness, we haven't actually seen the new cast, so it's not impossible for them to have great chemistry. I'm sure I'll check this out, I generally try to watch pilots of anything that sounds remotely interesting, and if this actually feels fresh and not just 'slightly rephrased HIMYM' i might keep up with it

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I agree with Qalbert. Not knowing how the cast will gel together or even if they're likeable makes it hard to judge this early. If it's just HIMYM 2.0 with fresh faces, it probably won't do too well. It'll be tough I think, they want that same feel of HIMYM without mimicking some of the same antics/go to jokes from the original.

But replacing some things like the Playbook or Bro Code or everything Barney in general is gonna be tough lol

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

That's one thing I wonder about -- how fresh will it be. My most recent memory of something similar would be the last season of Scrubs (the one we pretend never happened..), but that kept too many of the old faces around which didn't give the new ones a chance to develop themselves. With HIMYD, presumably none of the old faces will be present, so there's a chance we could have new versions of the old characters, new versions of the old jokes, etc -- and I think that'd be an awful angle to take. If it is connected to HIMYM through the two guys who Barney met near the end, and they bring a sense of "we need to be awesome and do awesome things" to the show, I'd be ok with that, but not much more.

The other thing is, the first couple seasons of HIMYM definitely felt different than the later seasons. The early stuff wasn't so ridiculous (apart from the rain dance..) and the characters were more reasonable which, I think, helped establish the show early on. The characters were more relatable, Ted came across as less of a douche, and the situations were just more believable. This last season also felt more like that, but I wonder how over the top the new show will be at the start.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

welp nvm
    http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-wat...inale-backlash
    CBS viewers will not get to find out "How I Met Your Dad" next season, as the network declined to pick up the new sitcom from the "How I Met Your Mother" creators, even though at one point it seemed one of the surest bets of any pilot at any network this spring.

And, no, it's not for the reason you may think.

After CBS' annual upfront week press conference with reporters (where they announced this fall schedule), I asked CBS entertainment president Nina Tassler if the decision had anything to do with the very loud and angry backlash to the "HIMYM" finale, which had featured the death of Ted Mosby's wife only moments after viewers saw their first meeting, all so he could end up with Aunt Robin instead.

"No, no," she insisted. "Absolutely not."(*)

(*) Nor did I ever think that would be the reason for it to not go forward. "HIMYM" was one of CBS' biggest comedies, even at the end, the finale did big numbers, and we have no way of knowing if the online outrage represented the feelings of "HIMYM" fandom at large, or if it was another "Snakes on a Plane"-style echo chamber. Had CBS picked up the show and it failed, maybe then Tassler might have blamed the reaction to the finale, but not until then.

Nor was the decision apparently about money, despite published reports last week that CBS and the show's studio were haggling over CBS getting an ownership stake in the new series, which would have starred indie film actress Greta Gerwig (who would have also been a writer on the show) as a newly-divorced woman looking for love, and Meg Ryan as the voice narrating her adventures from the future. Instead, as Tassler explained to us all during the press conference, she and the other CBS executives weren't crazy about the pilot from "HIMYM" creators Carter Bays and Craig Thomas and "Up All Night" creator Emily Spivey.

"To say we loved this show and we love these producers is an understatement," Tassler said of the "HIMYM" guys. "There were elements of the pilot that didn't work out. We tried to reach out and engage them in terms of them redoing the pilot. That's not happening right now."

Tassler pointed out that CBS has had a lot of success re-doing pilots, most notably with "The Big Bang Theory," which shot an earlier pilot the year before with Jim Parsons, Johnny Galecki and two female leads who were dropped in favor of Kaley Cuoco.

But for Bays, Thomas and Spivey, re-piloting "wasn't what they wanted to do," said Tasser. "We felt that re-piloting was in the best interest of protecting the creative interests of the show."

"HIMYD" isn't completely dead yet. Starting tomorrow, the studio can shop it elsewhere, including to its sister network, FOX. It's not unprecedented for spin-offs — and this seems only very tenuously connected to "HIMYM" — to debut on a different network from the original show, like "The Golden Palace" airing on CBS after "Golden Girls" was a long-running NBC hit. And Tassler's comments today could have been public posturing to get the creators to reconsider their stance and stay with the network that was their home for so many years.

But this is becoming an unlikely trend with CBS. A year ago, the "Beverly Hills Cop" series from Shawn Ryan, featuring Eddie Murphy in a recurring role, seemed the most obvious pick-up on any network, but CBS passed. This year, "HIMYD" winds up in limbo rather than leading off the Monday night lineup like Ted, Barney and the gang used to

This would've been terrible so hopefully it won't be a thing. But hell, nothing that needs to die ever stays dead, so I'll expect to see this sooner or later.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    This would've been terrible so hopefully it won't be a thing. But hell, nothing that needs to die ever stays dead, so I'll expect to see this sooner or later.
    https://tv.avclub.com/how-i-met-your...hul-1846732838
    In an alternate universe, Greta Gerwig would’ve been the star of the How I Met Your Mother spin-off, How I Met Your Father. But thankfully for Gerwig’s career, that didn’t pan out. Instead, we got to see her become the most sought-out female filmmaker of the late 2010s. Though the How I Met Your Father series seemed dead and buried, Hulu decided to give it new life, with someone who might be a better fit.

Hulu has given the show a straight-to-series order, made by Love, Victor creators Isaac Aptaker and Elizabeth Berger. Hilary Duff, fresh off her role in Younger which is currently on its final season, will join How I Met Your Father as narrator.

A press release notes that Duff will star as Sophie, who tells the story of meeting the dad to her son. The show’s set in 2021, as Sophie and her friends “are in the midst of figuring out who they are, what they want out of life, and how to fall in love in the age of dating apps and limitless options.”

Quote Originally Posted by NotGreyheim View Post
    I am a man of my word.
    Wow, it's like opening a time capsule.

Also still fuck that noise.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Winced through both episodes. The second episode was a little bit better, but it tries too hard to be HIMYM instead of trying to be itself and reference HIMYM.

It is like, you'll see a scene. In 3 lines delivered during that scene from any one character, you'll get 3 different lines that sound like they belong to original HIMYM characters. It just feels odd watching Hillary Duff deliver a line meant for Ted, then Robin, then Lily back to back to back. Noone is anyone, and anyone is everyone. On top of that, Tien Tran and Duff are the only ones who feel like they're putting any effort into the show at all.

Spoiling the continuity so far, just in case people are concerned about it.

Spoiler: show
    Jesse and Sid (the two non british guys) bought the apartment from Marshall and Lily, and have the swords. While maybe not a direct link, the club Ted/Barney went to on St. Patricks Day looks a lot like the club FOMO the new group goes to in episode 2.

Huge missed opportunity not calling Sid's bar 'Puzzles'.