Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Mystery Science Theater 3000 Reboot (From Series Creator Joel Hodgson)

Featuring a new cast of characters
    Since the end of its run in 1999, fans of Mystery Science Theater 3000 have had their memories, re-runs, and similarly themed alum-powered projects like Cinematic Titanic and RiffTrax to hold them over, but in a new oral history interview, series creator Joel Hodgson has expressed an interest in rebooting the series.

Though details are presently thin, the new iteration is primed to be a web project that starts up in the spring (so, soon?), and it will feature a new host (so, not Hodgson or Mike J. Nelson?) while also allowing for occasional guest appearances by the old cast.

Here’s Hodgson on Mystery Science Theater 3000‘s enduring appeal and why it’s ready-made for a new crew:

I’ve talked to a bunch of fans about their lives and what ‘MST3K’ means to them. I’m overwhelmed by how people took to that show. It really affected them. I thought, if enough people still love it, maybe we can bring it back.

Even avid viewers sometimes don’t realize that every major role in the show had been swapped out over time. So in my mind, the show is built to be refreshed with new people and new ideas. It’s like Heisenberg’s uncertainty principle as it applies to ‘MST3K’: If it doesn’t change, it’s not the same show. And fortunately for us, as long as there are movies, there are always going to be cheesy movies.
    It’s actually charming that Hodgson still seems surprised by the overwhelmingly positive response to the show that fans have. But while the question about whether there would be enough goodwill out there to warrant a few more episodes seems silly – the show has been lauded by critics and fans during and after its run and it’s one of the key cultural/comedy inspirations of the last 25 years – we’re not sure that that same goodwill would extend to a full reboot and a new cast. Nostalgia only goes so far.

Not only did Hodgson and Nelson (and the rest) cast a long shadow, but the show really does seem time-locked when you watch it. For better or worse, Mystery Science Theater 3000 helped lay the tracks for the chugging internet revolution that has made us all commentators and quip-wielding humorists. But while it is a forefather, it’s entirely possible that the format might fall flat if put in front of contemporary audiences without the cover of its original hosts and the nostalgia that their appearance would generate. Dr. Frankenstein, meet your monster.

Today, audiences want edge and they want the line to be pushed. But while that’s certainly what Mystery Science Theater 3000 delivered in its heyday, it’s hard to know if Hodgson (and, for that matter Jim Mallon – the co-producer who would seemingly have to sign off on a reboot despite the past “tension” between he and Hodgson) would be comfortable watching a new gang take the show to the darker and more adult-themed humor that might be required to push that line today.

Besides that, there is the waning level of familiarity with some of the classic films that were born to riff on. Younger viewers (watch as I deftly avoid saying “Kids today”) don’t necessarily know Colossus and the Headhunters and Invasion of the Neptune Men, whereas original Mystery Science Theater 3000 viewers often grew up watching these movies and those like them on lazy Saturday afternoons.

To update the show with newer, more relatable films might not just be a challenge, it could also be quite costly – something that the RiffTrax team avoids by selling their riffs as free-floating commentary tracks that can play alongside any film without worrying about rights issues.

Based on these observations, a rebooted Mystery Science Theater 3000 seems like a bad idea, but a show featuring a comedian, a few puppets, cheesy movies, and ample sarcasm probably seemed like a bad idea in 1988 and yet here we are. The fact is, the rules of the game are clear now, but they can always change.

Maybe older viewers will embrace a rebooted show and maybe the right kind of millennials will embrace a new version of Mystery Science Theater 3000 as their favorite thing in the way that the original spoke to teenagers and twenty-somethings in the ’90s. Stranger things have happened.
    http://screenrant.com/mystery-scienc...r-3000-reboot/
    http://www.wired.com/2014/04/mst3k-oral-history/

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Bump, official Kickstarter launched: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...bringbackmst3k

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

They're asking for millions, eeesh. I dunno. I wish them luck but that's a big goal to meet. And I just don't know that MST3K humor is as novel as it once was now that there is the internet with thousands of bad movie commentaries.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

I love MST3K to death, but there is no reason for this as long as Rifftrax exists. With that said, this part of 6souls article made me lol:

Besides that, there is the waning level of familiarity with some of the classic films that were born to riff on. Younger viewers (watch as I deftly avoid saying “Kids today”) don’t necessarily know Colossus and the Headhunters and Invasion of the Neptune Men, whereas original Mystery Science Theater 3000 viewers often grew up watching these movies and those like them on lazy Saturday afternoons.
    Yeah, there were some more famous films I recognized, but there were a shitton of episodes of movies I never heard of, and still greatly enjoyed it.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

They could easily rag on new shitty movies, lord knows there's plenty of them.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by AidenCarby View Post
    They could easily rag on new shitty movies, lord knows there's plenty of them.
    That's what Rifftrax does though.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

So this is over half way funded for the first three episodes. We may just see a success.

the elephant whisperer
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Joel put up a great FAQ today. Pledged and wish it the best. I loved MST3k when I was younger, still love Rifftrax. (and my guilty pleasure...$5 wrestling)

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

First 3 episodes funded. If they fund a full season, then a second season will be produced. If not, then this will be a one off.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Jesus, hundreds of thousands of dollars goes to just shipping and the rewards. How much more efficient would this be if you could just elect to opt-out of the rewards.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Ending in about 6 hours (1 AM EST). Has about $370k to go for all 12 episodes.

Using the $100 tier as a "two birds with one stone" by giving the name in the credits as a Christmas present for my Dad, since we were huge fans of this show back in the day.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Made it to $6.3 million, so 14 total episodes.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

For Minnesota peoples, MST3K Superbowl pre-game starts in about a hour.

http://www.tpt.org/mystery-science-theater-3000/

My friend at the local PBS says that 15 different markets are airing MST3K this month, so keep a look out for your listings.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

I'm almost as bad as Mazmaz

BG Level

Here comes 2

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Backer rewards have been slowly going out, the survey was released a few weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynplaine View Post
    Jesus, hundreds of thousands of dollars goes to just shipping and the rewards. How much more efficient would this be if you could just elect to opt-out of the rewards.
    This was actually an option on the survey, letting you decline physical rewards in the place of just feeding the associated costs back into development.

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Option to add this to your list on Netflix is active now.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Has been active since last month. >.>