Wiki:

Synopsis:

Cast:

Trailers:

Clips:

Notes:
    - Announcement;
    Spoiler: show
    There’s no question that JJ Abrams’ sci-fi sequel Star Trek Into Darkness is among the most highly-anticipated films of the year. The director’s 2009 franchise reboot far exceeded most fans’ expectations (and introduced the crew of the USS Enterprise to a whole new generation).

Four long years have passed since that film’s release, meaning that Into Darkness has the pressure of living up to all that hype. The long-held mystery with regard to the film’s plot (and Benedict Cumberbatch’s villain) has finally started to crack, but with the recent announcement that Abrams will also helm that other fan favorite sci-fi titan, where does that leave the inevitable third film?

Digital Spy recently spoke to Abrams’ producing partner Bryan Burk about what fans can expect with the latest Trek adventure and how long they’ll have to wait for Star Trek 3.

Here’s what he had to say:

We like the idea of keeping secrets not for any other reason than to keep the experience of going to the movies and not having seen anything before it … You want this to be a movie that anybody can get into. It’s not really a sequel, it’s its own thing.
    Much of the talk about Into Darkness has revolved around the potential connections it may have to the original series, despite the new timeline the 2009 film established. Burk said that fans should go into the film expecting references to the franchise’s overall mythos.

One of the things is that the movie will always be for ’Star Trek’ fans. In the process of all us five producers working together, Roberto Orci and Damon Lindelof, to a slightly lesser extent, are crazy-hardcore Trekkies. They understand the world so we had long conversations where they put things in and would be laughing hysterically. I had no clue why they were! There are tons of references and nods.
    Despite impending work on Star Wars: Episode 7, Burk said that the plan is to get Star Trek 3 into theaters faster than its predecessor, especially considering that 2016 marks the 50th anniversary of the original Gene Roddenberry series.

We’re definitely talking about the next one, but we haven’t talked about a release date. We don’t want to wait four years, the same amount of time between the last one and this one, but [2016] is going to be a big year to celebrate, hopefully.
    http://screenrant.com/star-trek-3-release-2016/
    http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/int...interview.html

- The Borg & Q have been teased as possible villains, Khan, too.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Wasn't Khan the villain in the last one?

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Yeah but he was the best part of the movie so I wouldn't mind seeing him come back. I'm a Cumberbitch.

Formerly BGTemp // TERA Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Excellent news, lets keep these coming.

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by ninjafox View Post
    Did you misread the announcement?

It seems the announcement was made as "Into Darkness"was released, so 90% of it is discussion of Into Darkness, and then at the end "oh hey we're making a 3rd"

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

HATED all the old ones, but loving the new ones. Keep em coming!

Hope the Borg are introduced in this one.

Absolute Messenger of Promathia
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

IDK how the borg would even make sense as a villian, especially if you consider how they were introduced in TNG. The only reason they knew of the Borg and the Borg gained interest in humans is because of what Q did. So I get its an alternate timeline but its not this timeline has changed things in seriously distant stretches of the galaxy where the Borg were currently at before the episode where Q shot the Enterprise to their region of space... One could argue they picked up the Romulan mining ships distortion, but their sensors aren't even much better than TNG era sensors. as its shown in the episode "I, Borg" that their sensors could be fooled by the planets polar regions and even the distortion of the star system they're in, meaning they're about on par with TNG sensor strength.

I know its just rumored, but It'd make almost no sense. I'd rather it be Q, despite TNG also mentioning that it was the first encounter with the Q (aside from fan speculation of a being from the original series possibly being a Q)... WHATEVER, Take a Michael Bay bat to Star Trek the way MB takes it to our childhood... I'm sure the moments of boobs, spacechicks boobs, Spock emotions and explosions will be enough to consul Roddenberry as he rolls in his grave.

... All my pent up Trek nerd rage aside, first movie was a nice action flick... never saw the second.

29 in magical dog years
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jackson Junior
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Mentioning Q now makes me think of how much better Cumberbatch would have been as Q than Khan.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

didn't the Borg's creation have something to do with V'ger merging with the human in the original motion picture? or is that just some fan theory/noncanon explanation? i don't remember where I heard it

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ninjafox View Post
    yes, but he was put into a cryo-freeze, so he could come back.

Klingons, Borg, Q, & Khan teased - http://www.heyuguys.co.uk/damon-lind...star-trek-iii/

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

Who what is Q?

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tyven View Post
    Who what is Q?

Formerly BGTemp // TERA Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Imo, this new series has danced around Klingons for too long. They were a major antagonist in TOS and so its long over due for them to be so in these movies.

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by tyven View Post
    Who what is Q?
    Never followed Star Trek really, if I had to label him, I guess God would be the best answer

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Q are actually a race, existing in a space outside our universe called the Q Continuum. Each one is just named "Q". In the episode Deja Q, Q is ejected from the Continuum and his powers removed by the other Q. In the end of the Episode, a second Q played by Corbin Bernsen, returns his powers. Basically what I'm getting at with this is that the Q can gain their powers, and even have them removed, they are at best described as Omnipotent... being able to appear/reappear anywhere, anytime past or present, and even bend the laws of reality/spacetime/physics etc. In on episode it is shown that Q can send someone back in time to change the present (both in "Tapestry" and in "All Good Things... pt 1 and 2). They can also make anyone into one of them, As shown in the episode "Hide and Q", when they gave Commander Riker the powers of the Q, and later removed them.

Simplified: the very first episode of TNG introduces the Q by introducing the character "Q" played by John de Lancie, but they are a race and exist outside our space-time in the "Q Continuum". They can alter pretty much all aspects of time/reality/so forth, even able to send humans/mortals back or forward in time to change the present or the future.

So, kinda like god, except able to have their powers revoked and become mortal and make other people gods. Regardless, in all of the TNG series, while Q was a pain in the ass more than one time, I'd never consider him a "Villian" in any episode he appeared in except for maybe the first episode of the series. Outside of that he was never really destructive to the crew, never down right villainous, and even so much as helpful (Giving Picard a chance to save the human race, making Data laugh, saving the one planet from their moon falling out of the sky, so forth)

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Q was more of a nuisance than a villain.

They better not do Borg. That just doesn't work in the movies.

I Have The Clap Again
    BG Level

I don't think JJ is going to have time for this and the new star wars trilogy. Most likely a new director is coming in. Unless he is just going to direct p1 of the trilogy

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Karbuncle View Post
    I know its just rumored, but It'd make almost no sense. I'd rather it be Q, despite TNG also mentioning that it was the first encounter with the Q (aside from fan speculation of a being from the original series possibly being a Q)... WHATEVER,
    Wasn't totally "fan speculation", they took an early original series ep and and adapted their encounter with Trelane and turned him into a Q. Well, the books aren't always exactly canon but Q-Squared explained it well enough for me (even though there were some holes in the story I think), but it was enjoyable to read in my opinion.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Nuriko View Post
    Wasn't totally "fan speculation", they took an early original series ep and and adapted their encounter with Trelane and turned him into a Q. Well, the books aren't always exactly canon but Q-Squared explained it well enough for me (even though there were some holes in the story I think), but it was enjoyable to read in my opinion.
    Yah, books aren't recognized as canon from what i remember, so Idk about accepting that, but I did remember reading that when i went over the wiki a while back

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Titanss View Post
    I don't think JJ is going to have time for this and the new star wars trilogy. Most likely a new director is coming in. Unless he is just going to direct p1 of the trilogy
    JJ isn't directing, but his Bad Robot production team is involved. Roberto Orci is rumored to be the current top choice to direct.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast