1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 22 hours, 8 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 1 hours, 51 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 15 hours, 8 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 18 hours, 51 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

F.A.T.E. in Tokyo (4/26-4/27) Translations

I'm going to translate some stuff and post as I translate. This first post is a discussion with Minagawa from the first Producer Letter LIVE (last night); source article is here. I'll be updating every few minutes as I translate so the information below isn't the full thing until I update the post and say it's complete

Edit: All translation done from what I could find. If anything else isn't translated, let me know. I can't find the reference to new classes in any of the written articles which is kinda bugging me.

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201404/26052432.html

------------------------

The following is a summary with the main questions from fans and answers that were exchanged during the broadcast. Unless otherwise noted, Minagawa is the respondent to the question.

Q: From launch to patch 2.2 there have been three opportunities to change the user interface. Looking back, is there anything you regret?
    A: For some functions which we implemented just before making a patch available, we did as many pre-checks as we could, but I'm sorry about the emergency maintenances that we've had to perform.

Q: Is there anything that was unexpectedly popular?
    A: Since we've made many UI changes based on feedback we receive on the forum, there aren't many new elements that were unexpected to players.

Q: Compared with other existing online games, is there anything particular about your policy for UI design?
    A: Since we had to combine operation of the game to be playable with both a controller and with the standard way of playing PC MMOs, we had a hard time bringing them together. Also, since New FFXIV is overseas in multiple languages, we had to make sure we had enough space in the displays and logs for the French and German versions which have a lot more characters. We also need to focus on the layout, though, because this creates a lot of open space around characters in the Japanese version.

Q: Is there any game title which you feel has the best UI?
    A: It's a very old game, but in "Marble Madness," the operation and screen structure are very well put together and definitely had an influence.

Q: In many of the games that you've produced, there's been some unique display elements, such as having the numbers shifted up and down in many cases. What was your intent in doing this?
    A: When I was involved with Final Fantasy Tactics on PlayStation, I created a menu display which had an antique style, like it was written on parchment. The numbers shifted up and down slightly. A lot of other games used the same font after that. In New FFXIV, we were told to use this font directly by Yoshida himself. [[I just took a look in the game, you can actually see this when you're in battle - the floating numbers are the exact same font from FF Tactics.]]

The goal for the New FFXIV UI is to create a global standard for the MMO industry

The exchange of questions and answers with Minagawa continued. After some questions about his meal preferences, he talked about about the design work to build a global standard UI.

Q: What's your favorite BGM from New FFXIV?
    A: The song that plays during Ultima Weapon in the main quest, "The Maker's Ruin." I love the way that the BGM music matches the scene. [[This is the track from the first part of the battle when you're on the elevator]]

Q: What kind of ramen do you like?
    A: I like the taste of soy sauce ramen like Tohoku people. Sometimes I visit the local ramen shop after work.

Q: Do you have any plans or hopes to release a HD version of FFXII?
    A: I'm not thinking about making it, but I'd love to play it. Personally, I'd love to play a HD version on the PS Vita.

Q: Is there any plan to release a new game from the Ogre Battle series?
    Minagawa: If such a project got kicked off, I'd absolutely want to be involved.
    Yoshida: Me too!

Q: Between Yoshida and Yasumi Matsuno, who's the better boss?
    A: Well, I don't know who I like better, but Matsuno feels more like a mom to me. Yoshida is more like a brother or father. It's hard to really compare them... but my mother was a lot angrier with me.

Q: When you were developing Tactics Ogre, it was in small groups - is the current development for New FFXIV very different?
    A: There are parts that seem very different. I was only in my early twenties when I was developing Tactics Ogre, so there are things we do now that were physically impossible back then. My knowledge from back then helped with the creation of the UI for New FFXIV, though.

Q: While the UI was in development, how much detailed guidance did Yoshida give?
    Minagawa: We were guided towards creating a global standard based on PC MMOs. I don't really recall getting any specific instructions.
    Yoshida: We had to be careful to make sure the game experience was the same when operated with either a gamepad or with a mouse & keyboard.

Q: Regarding the UI development work, were there any elements that you really wanted to do?
    A: I have a great fondness for the Gambit system from FFXII. I'd like to incorporate mechanisms like customized magical armor or Buddy Chocobos.

Q: Give us your three favorite Yoshida quotes.
    A: "From the perspective of game developers, we have to have a clear goal of what we're trying to build."
    "After looking at a situation, we have to have the courage to change our decisions."
    "The staff must make a place where people enjoy playing."

Q: Will you ever be able to save local data such as HUD layout to the server so you can retrieve it on all platforms?
    A: Personally, I'd very much like to get this functionality incorporated. When we looked into this, though, and estimated the associated server costs, we found it to be fairly expensive. Right now we're exploring some other methods to do this.

Q: I'd like to be able to see all of my inventory at the same time!
    A: For the PS4 and PC versions, we're currently working on the UI so that we can display up to 100 items at once from the retainer or adventurer. We're planning to release this with the next patch.

Q: When playing on the game pad, I'd like it if you could level sync automatically when you run into an active FATE area.
    A: It's technically possible that we could automatically level sync upon entering a FATE area. We're not sure if we'll include this right now, but it could be a settings option in the future.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Continued translation below; separating post here because the rest is answered by Yoshida.

-------------

Reasons for postponing the continuation of the Zodiac Weapons

At this point, the exchange of questions and answers with Minagawa was over. The rest of the interview were questions that Yoshida received from players.

Q: Why was the release of the continuation of the Saga of the Zodiac Weapons postponed until patch 2.28?
    A: For the continuation of the Animus weapon enhancement, the items and the system is already completed. However, the current status of players progressing through the Saga of the Zodiac Weapons is slower than we anticipated. By adding even more obstacles to overcome in patch 2.25, we were concerned that we might make people stop in the middle of this seemingly mountainous challenge. As a result, after discussing this with the development team, we apologized to everyone and decided to postpone the release date.

To further strengthen the Animus weapons in patch 2.28, you'll need to collect new materials available from various places. For this, a new concept called "Sphere Scrolls" will come into play. Right now, it's taking players a very long time to get to the current goal. To solve this problem, we wanted to make some adjustments to make sure that players could get the materials related to the Sphere Scrolls from a variety of content. To allow some time for that, we decided to push back the publication to patch 2.28.

Q: Can you please hurry up so we can get Fantasias?
    A: We're currently planning to let people obtain these starting with patch 2.28 which will be released in May. The distribution method would be similar to other special reward items, so that players would receive one on each adventurer linked to their account. However, it won't be possible to trade to others.

Q: Please add the Gold Saucer as soon as you can!
    A: This content is becoming large and it's still in the planning stages, so the publication is still a long ways off. We're working on the Buddy Chocobo elements and some other non-combat elements that players can enjoy. We do plan to add some more content in 2.28.

Q: Any new information on patch 2.3?
    A: We'll be adding Front Lines to the content that PvP players can enjoy. With more people involved, the liability of each individual person will be lowered, so people who are anxious about the current PvP should feel more comfortable participating in this. Salv... (later referred to as a secret)... there will also be some new elements for crafters in 2.3. We'll be talking more about this at the next Producer Letter LIVE event (scheduled to be held in Nagoya on May 24).

Q: When will the extreme Leviathan battle be available through duty finder?
    A: I'm going to be consulting with the lead battle planner (Mitsutoshi) after this. The system is already finished, so it's ready to be released.

Q: Please add a NPC which tells you the weather!
    A: We're planning to add weather forecasters shortly after the release of patch 2.3. The weather is going to be involved in some other activities besides fishing towards the release of patch 2.3.

Q: Tell us more about housing!
    A: We already talked about a system where players will be able to have a "private room" inside the house owned by their Free Company. Morever, we'll be adding the option for adventurers to purchase a land and house through "individual residences." Since land is starting to sell out in some places, we're looking at adding adventurer living quarters. Also, we have some significant landscape changes planned for The Goblet in Ul'dah to give it some nicer vistas. We're also planning on adjusting the weather for that area.

Q: What's the current development status for add-ons?
    Minagawa: We were originally planning to publish this feature around 6-8 months after launch, but because we were very busy with the PS4 version, we're sorry that we've had to delay it. In advance of the full release, we'll be adding some of the easier parts like icon and skin customization (UI design).
    Yoshida: We do plan to publish a roadmap outlining the timing of add-on related releases that we'll show at a later date.

At this point, the discussion portion of the Producer Letter LIVE with Yoshida and Minagawa ended and they went to greet some of the viewers.

Yoshida: Lots of people were gathering since the early hours this morning, so thanks very much for your attendance. Since this event will be going on all day without any breaks, please enjoy it and stop to get some food and drinks.
    Minagawa: I was initially nervous to participate in this event because it was my first time in something like this, but it was a lot of fun. I'll definitely be trying to show up more in the future, so thanks again for your support! The second broadcast will start at 11:00 tomorrow, April 27.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Combined previous Game Watch translation with notes from the Famitsu version of the story. Major changes/additions are in red.

--------------

Producer Letter Live, Part 2

Today's discussion had no specific theme and focused on questions and answers from Yoshida and Takai. Afterwards, they went on to some battle challenges with players. In today's event, it was discussed that there would be a FINAL FANTASY XIV FAN FESTIVAL 2014 this fall with events in Tokyo, London, and Las Vegas in October and November. There were also hints to look forward to upcoming big annoucements along with some first anniversary surprises. Below is a report of the questions and answers that were discussed during the Producer Letter LIVE.

Q: Have you finished collecting all of the Atma from the Saga of the Zodiac Weapons?
    Takai: I got all 12. It took about 450 FATEs.
    Yoshida: I've participated in about 300 FATEs, but I'm still not finished yet.

Q: Will you be adding any new glasses?
    Yoshida: One of our core development team members is starting to be in charge of eyewear. I'll ask him about the status of new glasses.
    Takai: The development team wants to make these because there's a lot of interest in adding them. We'll be releasing different glasses over time.

Q: Do you have no new video to show today (a new video is usually published around the time of Takai's appearances)?
    Takai: Unfortunately, we have no plans to publish a video today. Preparation of the video is progressing, though, and we'll be releasing it closer to patch 2.3. We might have something for around the time E3 begins.

Q: When do you plan to increase the level cap?
    Yoshida: That's still a ways off. It will be after "something new" is released.

Q: What's the current progress for the marriage system?
    Takai: It's actually in development right now
    Yoshida: We have a mock-up of the wedding completed so we need to check over it. We're working on modeling the interior of the Sanctum of the Twelve now. It won't be included in 2.3, but it will be comparatively close. We're also doing some testing work on the bride's veil now. We want to get the translucence right, and we may include fluttering as well.

Q: Will you add additional housing area in the future?
    Yoshida: We have it planned for patch 2.3. We performed some optimization of the instances for housing in patch 2.2 and it seems to be running pretty well, so we'll open some new areas.

Q: How will the individual rooms work?
    Yoshida: There will be some command like "make room for members" in the Free Company house to generate the rooms. We haven't finalized the specifications 100% yet, but you'll be able to enter the room either from the front door or through the main room. The room will be a bit larger than an inn in the three cities and individuals will be able to place furniture as they like within the room. You'll be able to set different configuration preferences.

Q: Tell us about individually owned homes.
    Yoshida: Private homes are simply land which can be purchased by individuals, but you'll have to have a certain grand company rank and be level 50. We're working hard on this but we're getting down to the wire on whether we can get private homes included in time for 2.3, so it might not be until 2.35. It would be tough to set the price (of private homes) as low as 850,000 gil. It's not going to be as high as free company owned housing.

Q: How is PvP coming along?
    Yoshida: We have a bunch of fixes coming in patch 2.28 based on feedback we've received on the forum. If you start PvP right now it's quite difficult because you have no PvP actions, so we want to try to change the setup so that all of the actions are available from the start, and they can be upgraded from there. Front Lines will follow soon after in patch 2.3. I hope that players are more comfortable participating in Front Lines since it won't be a small scale battle. After some of these changes, try out Wolves' Den when you can and see how you feel about PvP.

Q: How will Front Lines be set up?
    Yoshida: It won't be set up so that it's just 24 person matches of 8 vs. 8 vs. 8; there will be other set-ups as well. I think there are people who got that impression, but that wasn't what I meant, it's just something I touched on in an interview a long time ago.
    Takai: It's easy to think of as 8 vs. 8 vs. 8, though.

Q: When will patch 2.28 occur?
    Yoshida: It'll be in May.

Q: How is work with DirectX 11 compatibility going?
    Yoshida: After Niconico Chokaigi 3 is over, I'm going to be going on a media tour to Australia. We have the quality check for the DX11 edition scheduled around the time that's over. We're going to be looking over uncompressed textures. The process is moving along but it's not going to get much faster so I would anticipate the release for this to be no sooner than the end of this year.
    Takai: The programmers for that on the development team have been too busy playing the Second Coil of Bahamut.

Q: When will you be adding to Crystal Tower?
    Yoshida: It'll be in patch 2.3. We're also working on checking the maps and bosses now since they're done.
    Takai: It's looking really good and the bosses are going to be exciting... especially for old-school gamers like me.

Q: Tell us about any future improvements planned for Duty Roulette.
    Yoshida: First, we'll be adding in the Leviathan primal battle to Duty Finder. Regarding the first three extreme primals, we want to facilitate clears a bit more, so in addition to the Echo buff which was added in patch 2.2, we want to add a new Duty Roulette category which includes at least the first three extreme primals.

Q: Will you be allowing more furniture in housing in the future?
    Yoshida: I think it would be difficult. If we allow more objects it will eat even more CPU power. Similar to this, it's also going to be difficult to set it up so players can queue for Duty Finder with their chocobo companion summoned.

Q: Are there any plans to run trains on the railway that runs through Thanalan?
    Yoshida: There are no plans to run trains yet.

Q: What have you been up to in game?
    Takai: It's nice if I even get a chance to play while developing the game.
    Yoshida: Yeah, but it's also pretty tough. I think the only way I could do it is if I didn't sleep.
    Takai: Honestly, when I get home I do three or four roulettes, open a treasure from Treasure Hunts and do some Beast Tribe daily quests. When I do Second Coil, I just do that separately and I spend maybe an hour or an hour and a half.

Q: Will you add Beast Tribe daily quests for Goblins?
    Yoshida: Goblins are off in the future for the time being, but in the overall scope of things we are considering Goblins. We should have some announcements moving forward.

Q: Will you be increasing inventory size?
    Yoshida: It'll be tough with the way the save data works. There's a tremendous amount of data already written to the back end servers every 15 seconds. Increasing the inventory size in and of itself is an easy task, but we have to consider how performance of the game will be affected by doing so, so we could only do this little by little, so it would not be so easy overall. Our preference would be to focus on game content updates for now and maybe consider it once everything is stabilized. Please understand that it would be a difficult undertaking to do this.

Q: Will you be adding any chocobo colors?
    Yoshida: Speaking of chocobos now, we just have yellow, but starting with patch 2.3, we'll have some chocobo updates where we are doing things like surpassing certain limitations by increasing the available feed. For things like changing color, we'll consider them gradually moving forward.
    Takai: [color=red]Will you need to have maximum rank?[/b]
    Yoshida: No, that's not it. We've been talking about doing something more with the Chocobo Stables update. I think we'll be able to talk more about that around the time of the next F.A.T.E. in Nagoya.

Q: Can you add a two seat mount?
    Yoshida: There's been a lot of demand for a two seat mount, so we're aware of it, and we're already looking into how we can do this. Please wait a bit longer.

Q: What about the waiting pose?
    Yoshida: We'll add more standing poses in patch 2.28. We've also made something to change the pose at random.

Q: I want more content that I can play with two or three people.
    Yoshida: We've also heard a lot of voices of players asking for some more casual content. In patch 2.3. we're planning on adding some more content that even one person can play. We'll talk some more about it in Nagoya.

Q: Will there be a divorce system?
    Yoshida: Maybe it'll just be if you take off the ring. We'll have two rings prepared for that.

Q: Will you add a minion for Nanamo?
    Yoshida: I've been talking with the Minion Alliance recently and they've been working on some different minions. If you call minions with the debug commands in the developer version, I occasionally see some minions that I haven't before.
    Takai: There are definitely some quite unusual minions. We're made some progress with unauthorized work on movement and appearance (laughs).

Q: Any plans to increase the number of hairstyles?
    Yoshida: It will increase in the next patch.

Q: Will you be changing the acquisition fees for Mythology items?
    Yoshida: With each update cycle, in 2.28 and 2.3, we'll make it easier to obtain Mythology, so this will make it easier to obtain these items.

Q: Will there be any more collaboration events?
    Yoshida: We received a number of request for FFXI collaboration events so I want to discuss that with Matsui.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

After the Producer Letter LIVE ended on the 26th, Minagawa came back to the stage at 12:00 and said he was going to explain some secret information from the development of the user interface. Here are some of the particularly important details from the information he presented.

Info #1: Back road into Bentbranch.

Originally this cliff was intended to be impassable. We initially had this shortcut in for the developers, but they liked it so much that we decided to keep it in. [[referring to the pile of rocks that you can jump up to get up the cliff behind the camp]]

Info #2: Sometimes there can be rainbows in the sky of Eorzea.
    When the weather transitions from rain to sunny, a rainbow may appear, but not every time. This doesn't happen in instances, but can happen in public field areas.

Info #3: Not much went into planning of the items which can be brought back by Quick Exploration.
    As a result, retainers can bring back most items which are not marked by the rare attribute.

Info #4: After you complete the Crystal Tower main quest, if you talk to the St. Coinach's Find NPCs, you can find out more information about the world.

Info #5: The "Misery" debuff from a Gremlin special technique in the Lost City of Amdapor can be removed by the action of the comfort and rally emotes.

Info #6: Within the development team there's a secret group called the Minion Alliance.

Their main responsibilities include sneaking in unique actions like the fight which can start between the coeurl and wolf minions.

Info #7: The Manderville dance was originally supposed to be for another race.
    It was originally meant for the Lalafells, but it was way more comical on Highlanders. To take advantage of this it was added into the Hildibrand storyline as his "family" dance.

Info #8: The scary seams of the Moogle doll are too realistic, so they'll be improving them in patch 2.3.

Info #9: When you play the sounds from multiple furniture instruments at the same time, you'll hear the BGM from Haukke Manor.

Info #10: As you approach the Miqote NPC group standing on the beach of the Limsa Lominsa housing area, they will wave large blue leaf fans at you to cool you down.

Info #11: The Gerolt NPC associated with the Zenith and job specific weapons was named [[something to do with vomit, I'm not really sure...sounds like a dev team inside joke]].

Info #12: Since the popularity of the Yda character was higher than expected, she'll be included as more than just a side character like she was in the Maelstrom scenario.
    There are plans to have Yda involved with an expert dungeon (Tamtara Deepcroft (Hard)?) in the next patch 2.3.

Info #13: Hildibrand was originally supposed to be a Lalafell.
    Hildibrand was originally supposed to be a member of the Lalafell group called Ronan Kogunan, but because the tone of the investigative quests didn't really match the Lalafell group, we changed his appearance to a Highlander.

Info #14: In the cutscenes with the assistant Nashu, there's an NPC you may frequently see chasing Nashu around.

Info #15: The inside story of how the "schwing" sound was added for Duty Finder.
    Originally, it was made as a sound which would play when the limit break accumulated. It wasn't intended to be used for Duty Finder and was just put there in a temporary version. However, since the sound actually worked out and matched the setting, we officially adopted it for that.

Info #16: Treasure hunt maps were originally used in the world map of Tactics Ogre - the background image texture for the paper pattern was reused without even modifying it.
    Yoshida was my colleague at the time and it came about when a copy of the in-game map on his desk got stained with coffee. We used the same map in New FFXIV.

Info #17: If you play the PC version of New FFXIV while browsing webpages...
    Check the sound settings in System Configuration and check "Play sounds when window is not active," so you'll hear the schwing from Duty Finder even when browsing the web.

Info #18: Like #17, if you turn off "Allow resolution changes via mouse drag" in the system configuration mouse settings, you can prevent situations where you might accidentally change the size of the screen.

Info #19: Also like #17, if you go into the Gamepad Settings, and select "Keep gamepad enabled when client is inactive" you can operate the game with the Gamepad even when the game is in the background.

Info #20: If you right click icons displayed in a list like classes or jobs, you can select or deselect all of the marks in the same window.

Info #21: If you click the gil display in the lower corner of the screen, you can see how many Grand Company seals you have.
    In the future, they plan to make it possible to display the number of Allagan Tomestones of Mythology as well.

Info #22: If your PC monitor is set to a vertical orientation, the game screen is also changed to a vertical layout.
    This can be convenient during character creation when you want to look at the entire appearance of your adventurer.

That was the end of the secrets presented by Minagawa.

Minagawa: Since this was the first time I was talking in front of a lot of people, I was really nervous, so please excuse me if I was difficult to hear. We have a lot of stories like this about development and the UI, so this was a lot of fun for me. If the opportunity comes again in the future, I'd like to share some more secrets.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Day 2: Chat with Yoshi-P

Yoshi-P (Naoki Yoshida, producer/director of A Realm Reborn) took questions and concerns from players about how they felt about the game. He said that he would answer the questions honestly for all those present and watching. Visitors got to enter in advance and names were drawn randomly on the stage. Each person was answered one at a time with a limit of two minutes of discussion each. The following is a summary of the eight questions and responses from Yoshi-P.

About the Weakness of Black Mage

--In The Second Coil of Bahamut, of all the DPS, black mage is the least welcomed into parties. When will it be strengthened?
    Y: I also look forward to strengthening it - black mage is also known as "Yoshi Mage." It's going to be difficult to adjust, but let me hear from the black mages among you Warriors of Light... do you want it strengthened?
    --Yes, definitely.
    Y: We'll be making adjustments moving forward (smile).

About War Bear/War Lion

--To meet the requirements to obtain a War Bear or War Lion implemented in patch 2.2, you have to tank high difficulty content 200 times. What about the people who had been working hard as tanks before and had to start from zero? In the last Producer Letter LIVE, you said this would be a mount for "true tanks," but the current situation is just players spamming Turn 4 of the Binding Coil as tanks, so I'm wondering how you feel this will really represent "true tanks."
    Y: First off, regarding the number of clears required, I mentioned this at GFF2014 in Fukuoka the other day, but there's no way we can include previous clears, and I apologize for that. The clears were not counted prior to the patch. Because the amount of save data was already huge, we had no reason to be counting the number of clears of content by each role. The mount was intended to be something received by dedicated tanks who continue to enjoy tanking in the future.
    As written by the achievement, it's intended for tanks of very hard content. Since the content which meets this "very hard" criteria will change as content is relaxed with each patch, we plan to change what's counted towards this reward moving forward. Also, this won't be the only reward for tanks, so please continue to participate as a tank in the future.

About New Dungeons

--The three dungeons that were added in patch 2.2 are all quite dark. Please add some brighter, more friendly dungeons in the next patch.
    Y: Even the funny Bomberman in the Brayflox dungeon?
    --That sort of thing is good, but I'd like it in a brighter field area.
    Y: Well let's talk about one of the new dungeons based on this request. In patch 2.3, there will be one completely new dungeon called "Somehow Island" [[direct translation, maybe not formally named yet]], and because it's outdoors the skies wil be clear. Only the boss fight will be in a special area.
    --Also, I'm playing as a Roegadyn. I want to be able to splash up some water when I use the Steel Cyclone axe skill in La Noscea.
    Y: I don't think we're exactly working on that... I'll try to put some pressure on the dev team (laughs).

About the Differences between Paladin and Warrior

--Personally I feel that Paladin is a bit stronger than Warrior. Right now, Warrior is a bit better at maintaining control of a single target, and while Paladin has a means to gain enmity over an area, the amount gained isn't really enough.
    Y: Warrior players who try paladin and paladin players who try warrior are always going to have something to say about the other. If we took both into account then things would continue to inflate. We'll continue finely adjusting them, but the choice between the two is good right now.
    --This question came up before around the time of the Osaka F.A.T.E. and it's been three months since then. Have any fine adjustments been made?
    Y: We look at the total number of players who enjoy both of the jobs and there is really no bias towards one or the other right now, so we feel that there's no need to force any further adjustments. We continue to look at this weekly and monthly and we'll make decisions about adjustments based on this ratio and the content that we're implementing.

About the Battle Strategies Assumed by the Development Team

--I've heard some rumors about the intended strategy for Divebomb in Turn 5, but most people just run into the pit all at once and run out when they see the green mark. A new player might think "what is that?" when they see it. Since there's really no description for it and players came up with a different solution, I was wondering what was originally envisioned.
    Y: We don't have the responsibility to edit any strategy guides or magazine feedback. Divebomb is a straight dive from Twintania towards her target. The solution we thought of was that everyone would move to realign themselves based on the timing and target. However, the pit is a position that's obvious for everyone and the different level changes the hit detection. As a result, it's become easier to dodge than we were thinking. However, we didn't want to suddenly have everyone struggle with the strategies they came up with, so instead of modifying it to boost our ego, we left it alone.
    --So you leave it alone even if the development team expected a completely different strategy?
    Y: That's the plan.

About Summoner

--I enjoy playing summoner as my main job, but when it comes to end game content, it's all Garuda-Egi with no opportunity to use Ifrit or Titan. That's pretty disappointing, and I'd like for Ifrit and Titan avatars to also play active roles in party content.
    Y: Earlier I talked about Black Mage from my own point of view, but I've also seen that Garuda was always used on summoner. Originally we intended for each avatar to play a different role depending on the content and party setup. Since Garuda has the highest DPS, Garuda is used in the most content, so I think that's the main issue. If we made the other avatars stronger, then Summoner would be stronger overall, and if we made Garuda weaker to compensate for powering up the others, then the reverse could be true, so we are carefully considering what to do. It's a cute summon, but in the future you'll be able to summon a certain old man and a sister clothed in ice who's also quite cute. Although actually I wish I could copy the Mammet with the Mirage Prism.
    --Are those summons coming next, or will Leviathan?
    Y: Leviathan, hmm... I'm not sure whether Ramuh or Leviathan will come first (laughs). I think it'll happen when the level cap is raised, so I really can't say yet.

About Classes and Jobs

--I have a friend from FFXI who really loves thief, will thief ever be implemented?
    Y: I said this before, but we'll have some more information coming up at Japan EXPO, E3, and Gamescom where we'll disclose a lot of new information. So.... maybe? There will be a new job, but I'm not sure whether it will be thief.

About Character Creation

--Do you know Sylphie? I saw her in the class quests for conjurer and I thought she was cute so I tried to create a new character based on her, but I couldn't find all the parts so I couldn't make her. What's the background behind this?
    Y: Sylphie looked like she does now in the cutscenes if you look as far back as the alpha test. At the time of the beta test, we changed her appearance a little to use parts that you can make in character creation, but we got a lot of opinions from players like "that's not our Sylphie!" so we returned it back to the original look, but you couldn't make it in character creation. Sylphie is loved by a lot of Eorzea, but that's the reason that you can't duplicate her look. However, there's a chance that Sylphie's look might appear in character creation in the future.
    --Please do it, I'm definitely looking forward to it! Thank you!

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

BGM Discussion with Masayoshi Soken

At the end of the program on the first day, sound director Soken took the stage to break down the BGM and explain the flow of song creation in A Realm Reborn. The script that was handed out in advance to the audience describing the events showed the contents for this discussion as "nothing in particular," which led to some laughter from the crowd. It wasn't discouraging, though, as Soken was clearly serious about his talk in breaking down the BGM and brought a lot of his development equipment to the venue.

One example Soken gave was with the production of the music from the Leviathan primal battle. The sound production for A Realm Reborn first begins with the recorded tone of the instrument to collect sounds. For example, the recording of a taiko drum was used in the BGM for the primal Leviathan. The sound was recorded to a PC and then set up as data so that it could be played through a keyboard as part of the music.

Drums and bass guitar were then added to the sound of the taiko drum. By fusing a number of these sounds, he could create more depth of sound. He actually demonstrated this strumming a guitar on stage. Soken confessed that coming up with the music for the Leviathan primal battle was very challenging. However, he said that at one point when he was in the break room, everything suddenly came together in his head. He matched the visuals of Leviathan emerging from the water with the sound of a taiko drum and then modeled the chanting and rhythm off of popular 1980s performance style to create the BGM.

Also, Soken noted that the choice of a male voice for the second part of the song was not his idea. Originally, a female vocalist was hired, but Yoshida and Takai pointed out this sounded wrong about three days before the deadline, so he was forced to record his own voice.

After describing the flow of the BGM production, Soken performed a short piano concert with FATE BGM and the music that plays in the city of Ul'dah, which capitivated the viewers and live spectators. Finally, he ended with a few comments thanking everyone for their attention and asking them to pay attention to the audio in game once in a while.

At this point Yoshida, Takai, and the rest of the development staff on stage that day came to say good bye and thank the visitors before closing the curtain on the first day.

Piece of shit Bruins fan

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Beat Daisukenojo
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

There are some edits needed, the Gold Saucer question is duped along with one adjacent to it, and the "secrets" info has some bits missing.

Clarification since I was typing one-handed:
    Quote Originally Posted by Slycer View Post
    A: We're currently planning to let people obtain these starting with patch 2.28 which will be released in May. The distribution method would be similar to other special reward items, so that players would receive one on each adventurer linked to their account. However, it won't be possible to trade to others.

A: This content is becoming large and it's still in the planning stages, so the publication is still a long ways off. We're working on the Buddy Chocobo elements and some other non-combat elements that players can enjoy. We do plan to add some more content in 2.28.

A: This content is becoming large and it's still in the planning stages, so the publication is still a long ways off. We're working on the Buddy Chocobo elements and some other non-combat elements that players can enjoy. We do plan to have some other new content in patch 2.28.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slycer View Post
    Info #10: As you approach the Miqote NPC group standing on the beach of the Limsa Lominsa housing area,
    Thanks Slycer!

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

See post #3 above for a slew of questions and answers that were part of the Producer Letter LIVE on the second day.

Info #10: As you approach the Miqote NPC group standing on the beach of the Limsa Lominsa housing area,
    ...seems to have been cut off. Though, I'm just assuming something silly.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

They wave large leaf fans at you to cool you off.

Fun extra fact: This is only displayed on your client. If someone was looking at you, they would not see you getting fanned unless they themselves were close enough to get fanned.

I assumed all stuff of that nature worked that way.

You don't see NPCs turn their heads to look at other people >_>

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Chat with Yoshi-P Part 2

Continuing from the first day's event at 14:00, producer/director Naoki Yoshida, a.k.a. Yoshi-P, took questions from the audience members and answered them on a one-on-one basis. Assistant director Hiroshi Takai and main scenario writer Kazutoyo Maehiro also appeared. A summary of the talk is below.

Niconico Game Channel (NGC) and Pictlogica Final Fantasy

Attendee: New FFXIV broadcasts happen live every Monday on NGC. April 14 was a Monday and it was the date of the PS4 version so I thought Yoshida would show up. I hope you can broadcast in the future.
    Yoshida: I understand (laughs). I'll try, but I don't have much time.
    Attendee:Seriously, I want you to show up.
    Yoshida: It's good, I will try.
    Attendee:Another question. New FFXIV has had some collaboration with things like the smartphone app Pictlogica Final Fantasy. But the initial weapon for Thancred is a Macuahuitl (one-handed sword). Isn't this wrong since he's had a dagger recently? Because he had a dagger, I think he's a thief.
    Yoshida: There's some history of Thancred using one-handed swords. He's a deft fighter (laughs). He must use the armoury system. In collaboration with other work, it was closer to the beginning of New FFXIV. Thancred using a dagger in both hands was a surprise in patch 2.2.

Mounts

Attendee:I play as a female Elezen character, and I care a lot about the riding animations. One thing is that it seems like I might fall off at any moment. Another thing, I hope they can sit as more than just side saddle. Elezen women should ride in a more dignified manner. Could you add different riding poses and let us choose?
    Yoshida: First, the sitting posture is straight up because of the physical prowess of Elezens. The same is true while they run, but it's accentuated in the way they ride their mount gracefully. As far as being able to change the pose, it's something that the animation team has already looked at. However, there's a lot of additional data being used with both the mount and the character, so there are potential memory issues if we don't handle this well. So, it's likely that we can do this at some point, but I can't say just when yet.
    Attendee:Do you think it will happen?
    Yoshida: Since I know the animation team is watching, I say this to the camera: "I hope so." (laughs)

At this point, Hiroshi Takai came to the stage to challenge Yoshi-P about Allagan Tomestones of Mythology.

Hiroshi Takai's Theme: Allagan Tomestones

Takai: Maybe you don't know since I'm another office worker, but I also have been collecting a lot of Allagan Tomestones of Mythology recently, and I don't have the time for all of that! Sell them to me for money! It's unbearable!
    Yoshida: Did you finish all the Atma already? Which Zodiac book are you on?
    Takai: I'm finally on my third book.
    Yoshida: Can't you add a little more to your play time?
    Takai: Well, can I take a leave of absence?!
    Yoshida: (laughs) Leave of absence you say? Do you want to quit?
    Takai: Oh... maybe I'll retire (laughs). You've painted me into a corner.
    Yoshida: Well, if you could buy it, how much would you pay?
    Takai: Maybe 1 yen for 1 mythology?
    Yoshida: So 1500 yen for 1 book? I wonder....
    Takai: What about it, producer? It wouldn't be bad business!
    Yoshida: Can I consult with my higher-ups?
    Takai: I can see their cheerful faces...
    Yoshida: We wouldn't consider selling this for money, but there should be a better balance with your job and the game as we increase the mythology output in future patches.
    Takai: Well, thank you really. I'm getting out of here now.
    Yoshida: Well... actually, maybe we can do about 10 yen per mythology and take it out of your salary?
    Takai: That's ten times higher!

Takai won this challenge overwhelmingly based on the audience applause. Yoshi-P went back to fielding questions from general users.

Atma

Attendee: I just started working on a Zodiac Weapon recently and I decided not to move on to the next stage because of the twelve Atma collection. I was working on FATEs to collect atma, but I didn't get one even after spending a full day doing it. I thought to myself, "Am I doing something wrong? Is there something else to this?" My friend also told me "Yoshida will definitely do something about this."
    Yoshida: Just checking to be sure, but did you have the Zenith weapon equipped? And are you participating in FATEs in a region where Atmas drop? By the way, at one point I personally did about 300 FATEs without seeing an Atma, so there's definitely luck involved. It seems like some other people finished everything in about 23 hours. Did you try that strange idea about moving around with the Eorzea time?
    Attendee: I tried, but I still didn't get one.
    Yoshida: Well, we can talk about real luck later. I also didn't get one trying that, so maybe we can commiserate about that later on (laughs).

Depopulation of City Areas

Attendee: I'm a member of the Twin Adders in Gridania, but I also like Ul'dah. So I've been to Ul'dah a lot, but there are fewer people there recently. I'm thinking with the additional end-game content and the new player housing, a lot of people have moved away from the cities to the housing areas or Mor Dhona. I want you to do something to attract people back to the city locations a bit more. Seasonal events aren't enough.
    Yoshida: We were thinking about this preemptively with the seasonal events, but this is a tough problem for any MMORPG. As players level up and reach the cap, they want to participate in end game content, and most of them are first and foremost interested in efficiency and convenience. That's part of the reason that Mor Dhona expanded gradually to become more and more convenient. We didn't want Revenant's Toll to function as a city from the start, since players start far from there, so we added the functions little by little. We don't want to add special features for cities to make other places less convenient.

Tanking

Attendee: I want the armoury system changed so that Warriors can take additional actions from Lancer. They get a parry boosting ability like warrior used to get in old FFXIV, so I'd like a parry ability for warrior. Also, please change the damage reduction effect of Inner Beast to about 6 seconds. People do like warrior but this is short for beginners and it would be better if it was a second or two longer.
    Yoshida: One or two more seconds would be long. The original essence of the warrior job was that it was supposed to be more technically demanding. I don't think that in a game it should be easy to be good at everything. It's part of the balance with paladin, so we don't want to just make it easier. The good thing about MMOs is that you can talk to more experienced warriors to get pointers about what works best.

Achievements

Attendee: There's an achievement for completing each of the original relic weapons, but then there isn't one for Zenith, and there's only one further for Animus. It seems strange?
    Yoshida: Yeah, we had discussions about this. In the development phase we had prepared achievements for each Animus, but we decided that most people wouldn't be doing this. In addition, if we put in the achievement, we felt like it would give the impression that the development team thought you should be making all of these weapons.
    Attendee: One more question. Personally, I would like to have achievements for obtaining all the reward items from, say, extreme primals or Ultima Weapon. I think we could have an achievement like that and give the mount as a reward so that people would have more motivation.
    Yoshida: It's definitely a good thing to obtain all of the items with powering up your character. However, the items to make your character stronger should be the motivation, not achievements. Since we'll be adding more content in the future, it's difficult to define what "all" of a certain thing entails. However, we've received a lot of opinions like this, so we will be looking into adding more achievements and achievement rewards.
    Attendee: If possible, can you also add achievements for obtaining Allagan Tomestones of Mythology and Soldiery items?
    Yoshida: Sounds like you want achievements for everything. I understand, but this can lead to some save data problems.

Bard Songs

Attendee: With Foe Requiem (reduces magic resistance of enemies by 10%), we can improve black mage's damage, but can we also have additional skills to improve the damage of dragoons or monks?
    Yoshida: In that case, we would have to reconsider the whole balance. If we make a song that adjusts others' attack power, it have to change the bow's attacks too.
    Attendee: Do you mean it would lower DPS?
    Yoshida: If we just increase the DPS of other members, it would make it easier to get through challenging battles. So the more we add, the more balance issues we need to consider, including the firepower of the bard himself, so I'm thinking it might be quite difficult. Would you be OK with that?
    Attendee: I would be fine with improving melee DPS at the expense of bard DPS.
    Yoshida: I understand. Well, I'll have to talk to everyone about it.

Armoury System

Attendee: With the one week lockouts on all of the end-game content, I feel like the armoury system is completely useless.
    Yoshida: With the second coil, it's set up so your progress is saved and reset each week, with the idea being that you challenge it on your main job and take rewards for that job, and only take rewards for other jobs once other players dont need them. Are you talking about the fact that your job choice is limited?
    Attendee: Honestly, it's not even so much about the rewards, I'd just like to participate in it again.
    Yoshida: Hm?
    Attendee: Once I clear the content in one week, I'd like to be able to at least try on another job.
    Yoshida: You mean in the sense that you can help other people. In that case, our concern is that by being able to excessively help other people by going around with groups that can't clear the content on their own yet, the hierarchy of the more and more powerful items would be broken too quickly. We worry about this and this and the development team does understand the current circumstances. It's really a difficult question to answer, but that's why we've chosen our current policy and we'll continue to mitigate it in stages.

Rankings

Attendee: I really love the clothes, and I think that there would be a higher motivation for people to improve their ranking with some new fashionable equipment. As a main tank, I don't have any cute skirt to wear, and I'd like that kind of equipment.
    Yoshida: Aiming for the top is good, but there are people who would be stuck out of the rankings and never be able to earn certain rewards. We don't want to include anything like an item that can only be equipped by the top 100 people of a certain ranking because it would be too extreme. As far as cute clothes go, we added fashion equipment starting in patch 2.2, and we'll be making more and more of it. It will be obtained in different ways throughout the game like crafts and achievement rewards.
    Attendee: Only high level crafters can make some of these now, will you reduce that requirement?
    Yoshida: As the economy changes, the price will become cheaper over time. Because they're popular now, the prics are high. Additionally, as far as rankings go, we're just thinking about it as a bonus right now, but we're doing some investigation into a Time Attack type thing. There are a lot of videos floating out there of people trying to get very hard content done as fast as they can, and we're not sure how we'll set up the rules yet. So, we're not sure about the implementation yet, but we're writing up some guidelines for an official Time Attack mode. For example, we could have a time attack for the top 10 clears of the extreme Titan primal battle, and then the whole world could view them on the Lodestone.

Less Populated Servers

Attendee: The party finder feature isn't used very much on sparsely populated servers, it's hard to find parties.
    Yoshida: You should check the status when you choose a server. We'll continue to make efforts to increase the amount of people on servers. Right now we're getting about 3,000 new players each day globally; however, many people try to go to the same worlds.
    Attendee: There should be more opportunities to play with other servers.
    Yoshida: That will take a lot of time to finish. It would be difficult to do without increasing the virtual data center.

Limit Breaks

Attendee: When you're playing as a monk main job, it's not very convincing when you pull out a sword for the first or second stage Limit Breaks.
    Yoshida: I can't argue with that. Our plan is to update this by 3.0 as long as the cost allows.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Interesting Q&A in this second set (post 12 above). His reasoning behind not letting people help others with Coil seems like they are approaching it from the wrong direction, but at least it's out in the open now:

"...in the sense that you can help other people...our concern is that by being able to excessively help other people by going around with groups that can't clear the content on their own yet, the hierarchy of the more and more powerful items would be broken too quickly. We worry about this and this and the development team does understand the current circumstances. It's really a difficult question to answer, but that's why we've chosen our current policy and we'll continue to mitigate it in stages."

Also I like how he mentioned the silly time idea for atma, shows that he's definitely aware of what's going on in the community (not that we didn't know already, but always nice to see).

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

Yoshi-P doesn't want those who can clear Coil helpin scrubs get gear

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Makes sense though. Imagine, if you will, a coil group of... lets say 16 people for simplicity's sake. 8 people go in for the first clear and do their usual thing. Then 7 of them return and 1 newbie is introduced. If the 7 are locked out of coil drops, that 1 person is guaranteed to get the 2 pieces of gear (plus any oils/sands/tome) per turn. Rinse and repeat until the entire group of 16 is through, that's way way more gear than you would get if you ran 2 8-man groups though coil separately.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I've thought about that before, actually, and they could make it work if they really wanted to, like varying the amount of drops or drop rate based on the number of repeat players vs fresh to coil that week. So I'm glad he didn't use that as an explanation because it's less defensible. His idea is sound, but it creates legitimately stressful social issues in situations where you don't have a FC comprised of a perfect multiple of 8 players. Personally, I feel like that's more of an issue than people whoring themselves out to get clears for everyone on the server, but maybe that's just me.

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

I'm still genuinely flabbergasted as to what they want Free Companies to be in this game.

a p. sweet dude
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

The fact that people still want WAR buffs blows my mind, but at least he can recognize how strong they've already made it. The better way to buff WAR would be through adjustments to the base attributes of Bloodbath/Foresight so that PLD benefits as well (and vice versa for Awareness).

I don't necessarily agree with why the Coil lockout is the way it is, but at least it's a logical reason.

Maybe MNK will get some Dolphin Kicks or something for its level 1/2 animations, haha.

Edit: I wish someone would have asked why they put some of the best looking gear behind the insufferable PvP system. Hopefully we get craftable reskins of that stuff sooner or later. (Preferably sooner.)

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I'm also shocked at people wanting more WAR buffs. WAR is amazingly good now if you play it correctly.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Sho View Post
    if you play it correctly.
    Describes like 5% of WARs.