FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    World Cup in Dubai.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwynplaine View Post
    The United Arab Emirates, which includes Qatar
    Is everyone really this misinformed about the Middle East?

Also still mayad that Qatar bought out the world cup. I really wish the U.S. would win a bid so I could go to some games.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I really wish I could go to at least one World Cup match in my liftime.

Fuck doing that in 2014 (right in my backyard too, but the unrealistically priced tickets are very scarce). No way in hell I'm doing 2018 (Russia = cold). 2022 if I'm a millionaire by then, and that's iffy, because Qatar = hot.

Also, some of you should look into this:

http://www.rethinkingschools.org/jus...s/mapgame.html

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrath View Post
    Is everyone really this misinformed about the Middle East?
    Hey don't lump me in with that guy, I know Qatar and UAE are different countries - UAE was just the first one that popped into my head when I thought of a petrodollar-soaked elite class exploiting the fuck out of indentured servants is all. It's not like I follow soccer.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Shrug, I was working off the impression that you read the article you posted which said Qatar..

BG Level

Shrug, I was working off the impression that you read the article you posted which said Qatar..
    Nah, shot from the hip first like a good American, then googled it.

GATTACA!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Alvinho View Post
    I really wish I could go to at least one World Cup match in my liftime.

Fuck doing that in 2014 (right in my backyard too, but the unrealistically priced tickets are very scarce). No way in hell I'm doing 2018 (Russia = cold). 2022 if I'm a millionaire by then, and that's iffy, because Qatar = hot.

Also, some of you should look into this:

http://www.rethinkingschools.org/jus...s/mapgame.html
    It's in the 60's in St. Pete right now

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Alvinho
    I really wish I could go to at least one World Cup match in my lifetime.
    I went to a couple of Womens' World Cup matches in '03, and had a really good time. Saw Ghana-Australia in one and Germany-USA in the other. I'm sure it's only about 25% as intense as mens' games, but it still had the international atmosphere. Seeing the Ghanaian drums marching through the stadiums, and thousands of Ghana-ins going absolutely apeshit after every goal was a lot of fun. Plus, being part of a U-S-A chant was really cool, even though Germany won 3-0.

One thing I would think that a US-hosted cup would provide is relatively cheap tickets. The venues are already built, and much larger than those in corresponding countries. Plus, the relatively small level of interest by the host country wouldn't artificially raise prices as much as it might in other countries.

You know what's even tougher than knowing where it is? Pronouncing it.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Byrd View Post
    You know what's even tougher than knowing where it is? Pronouncing it.
    Jesus that's freaky, it sounds like he's being dubbed over every time he says it in Arabic.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    Jesus that's freaky, it sounds like he's being dubbed over every time he says it in Arabic.
    Yeah, I tried it a few times and had no luck. I think I'm going to go with "Cutter" and accept that although I'm not saying it right, I'm still saying it better than 98% of Americans.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I'm Indian. Easy enough for me to say it lol

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Step 1: Watch Olympics on TV
    Step 2: Go to Rio for Carnival.
    Step 3: Skip ??? and go straight to profit

Went to Rio for Carnival in 2011; have no words that adequately describe that trip.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/oly...-schedule.html

So worried are Olympic organisers by how far behind schedule the 2016 Rio Games has fallen, London has reportedly been asked, in secret, if it could host the event at the last minute.
    According to the London Evening Standard, an informal approach has been made by IOC chiefs to ascertain whether London's 2012 Olympic venues could be brought back into use.
    The build-up to the Rio Games has been labelled a shambles, with every venue badly behind schedule, spiralling costs and accusations of negligence.
    IOC vice-president John Coates has already called Brazil's preparations "the worst I've experienced", with just two years to go and a football World Cup to host in between.
    An "unprecedented" special task force has been set up to try and speed up preparations but the situation on the ground is said to be "critical".

A source told the Standard: "At a comparable planning stage in 2004 Athens had done 40 per cent of preparations on infrastructure, stadiums and so on. London had done 60 per cent. Brazil has done 10 per cent - and they have just two years left. So the IOC is thinking, 'What's our plan B?'
    "Obviously, the answer would be to come back to London. It's very unlikely but it would be the logical thing to do."
    London has hosted the Olympics in an emergency before. In 1908 the event was due to be held in Italy, but Mount Vesuvius erupting forced a move.
    However, 'London 2016' would be a "worst-case scenario" because many of the 2012 sites have already been converted into public use. The cost of upgrading them to competition-standard again would cost millions, not to mention that the athletes' village is now populated by private residents.
    Indeed, a spokeswoman for the International Olympic Committee said the question of the Rio Games being moved to London was a "non-starter and unfeasible".

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

Some pictures of the Rio Olympic site:

http://gizmodo.com/rios-olympic-site...air-1578448738
    These are the main problems that have persisted for decades and that need to be eliminated within two years:

only around 40 percent of sewage is treated, and the rest ends up in the city's water
    between 80 and 100 tons of trash end up in the Guanabara Bay every day
    12 locations along beaches in Zona Sul are unsafe for swimming
    health problems from exposure to fecal matter can happen to anyone, especially at the beach
    Hepatitis A is often transmitted through sewage exposure
    raw sewage can also cause diarrhea, microbial diseases, and parasites
    sewage attracts insects and rats, which can then transmit diseases
    raw sewage can contaminate drinking water when it rains

Relic Shield
    BG Level

I have only been to U-20 world cup before, back in 1997 or so. Since these usually required less spending than the regular world cup. And not much people cares except local people who crazy on football. But the atmosphere was fun. Everyone in stadium just pretend they root for one side, then cheer and shout each other.

Of course, the ticket was cheap, like 10 malaysia ringgit (3.3 USD). And the last match of group stage was giving out free for student. Although I still bought the ticket by booth instead

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I'll just have to content with having watched the Brazilian olympic team play in 96 (saw 3 matches at the Orange Bowl; against Hungary, Nigeria and Ghana).

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

http://espn.go.com/olympics/story/_/...sks-test-finds

"If you get any of the water in your mouth or nose, you will be sick for several days."

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya

BG Level

Damn. Some of those numbers are scary as hell.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Don't wanna make a new thread but Beijing chosen to host 2022 Winter olympics

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

You should make a new thread. It'll be relevant 7 years from now and if we're all still posting on BG we can complain about a 7 year old thread while we sit in the old folks home.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Rio Water article
    The AP found another Olympic site thought to have been largely cleaned up in recent years, the Rodrigo de Freitas Lake, is among the Games' most polluted waters. Results ranged from 14 million adenoviruses per liter to 1.7 billion per liter.

By comparison, water quality experts who monitor beaches in Southern California become alarmed by viral counts spiking to 1,000 per liter.
    Holy shit. Almost literally.