+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Backyard Astronomy     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Tekki's Bitch
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

These bein the planets that were talked about today.

How true is this? Can I get a Sath feedback?
    I thought scientists agreed M-Class stars can't support life (as we know it). They emit almost no UV radiation (which plants need for photosynthesis), and they're luminosity is so low that in order to stay warm enough to have liquid water, a planet has to orbit so close that the star's gravity stops it from spinning and it becomes tidally locked (like the Moon is tidally locked to the Earth) leaving one side in perpetual daylight and the other in perpetual darkness.

Also, it doesn't help that younger red dwarfs are prone to extremely violent solar flares that make the biggest flares we've seen with our own sun seem babby tier by comparison.

If you want truly Earthlike worlds, your best bet is to look around K stars, or G type stars like our sun, and perhaps occasionally around F stars.

Who's driving? Oh my God Bear is driving! How can that be??
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

The scientists said those planets are tidally locked and since it's a very small dim star the close distance will keep the planets warm enough however, the close proximity puts it in danger of solar flares which could strip the atmosphere.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

They are going too fast, we're just gonna fly off into space. Jeez.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

e looks closest to the earth. Count me in for 6 day years instead of weeks.

But jesus those are close as fuck to their sun. Even if its a cool dwarf dude.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by TummieGaruda View Post
    The scientists said those planets are tidally locked and since it's a very small dim star the close distance will keep the planets warm enough however, the close proximity puts it in danger of solar flares which could strip the atmosphere.
    This answers TPG's questions. They are most definitely tidally locked and as I've tried to explain many times today, there's an innumerable amount of factors to consider that we dont have the ability to measure wrt exoplanets that are more than just "how big is it, how far is it from the host star" before we should even start having a discussion about anything other than pure planetary system dynamics.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I couldn't remember exactly why I was getting so hung up on "earth-like" and "habitable zone" having any real meaning for life or habitability
    but it has been bothering me because I knew that while it is important to investigate these targets, those qualities alone don't actually mean fuck all.

This got me searching my email because I remember getting an internal release pre-print last year about the weather on ProxCen B, an earth-like planet in the habitable zone only 4Ly away, literally our closest extra solar planet and it happens to be E-L and in H zone.

Paper has since been published so here is the link https://arxiv.org/pdf/1609.09076.pdf

Highlights a lot of factors that even I hadn't really thought about in terms of exoplanet viability from an astrobiology standpoint. From the abstract of the paper...

"the planet is subject to stellar wind pressures
    of more than 2000 times those experienced by Earth from the solar wind. During an
    orbit, Proxima b is also subject to pressure changes of 1 to 3 orders of magnitude on
    timescales of a day. Its magnetopause standoff distance consequently undergoes sudden
    and periodic changes by a factor of 2 to 5. Proxima b will traverse the interplanetary
    current sheet twice each orbit, and likely crosses into regions of subsonic wind quite
    frequently. These effects should be taken into account in any physically realistic
    assessment or prediction of its atmospheric reservoir, characteristics and loss."

Anyway, the new exoplanets are still interesting but it is good to remember that space is complicated, and trying to reduce viability down to just a few sweeping generalizations is bad.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by SathFenrir View Post
    I couldn't remember exactly why I was getting so hung up on "earth-like" and "habitable zone" having any real meaning for life or habitability
    but it has been bothering me because I knew that while it is important to investigate these targets, those qualities alone don't actually mean fuck all.

This got me searching my email because I remember getting an internal release pre-print last year about the weather on ProxCen B, an earth-like planet in the habitable zone only 4Ly away, literally our closest extra solar planet and it happens to be E-L and in H zone.

Paper has since been published so here is the link https://arxiv.org/pdf/1609.09076.pdf

Highlights a lot of factors that even I hadn't really thought about in terms of exoplanet viability from an astrobiology standpoint. From the abstract of the paper...

"the planet is subject to stellar wind pressures
    of more than 2000 times those experienced by Earth from the solar wind. During an
    orbit, Proxima b is also subject to pressure changes of 1 to 3 orders of magnitude on
    timescales of a day. Its magnetopause standoff distance consequently undergoes sudden
    and periodic changes by a factor of 2 to 5. Proxima b will traverse the interplanetary
    current sheet twice each orbit, and likely crosses into regions of subsonic wind quite
    frequently. These effects should be taken into account in any physically realistic
    assessment or prediction of its atmospheric reservoir, characteristics and loss."

Anyway, the new exoplanets are still interesting but it is good to remember that space is complicated, and trying to reduce viability down to just a few sweeping generalizations is bad.
    Plus they are moving way too fast. We'd fly right off.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Zetanio View Post
    Plus they are moving way too fast. We'd fly right off.
    U r 2 speedy 4 me

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

dat wat i sed to nasa but dey dun lissn

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Nasa uploaded a video of what the entirety of Earth's Moon looks like last July and are just sharing it now.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

https://www.facebook.com/56377498035...2370524165994/

Quadrantid Meteor Shower (January 4th) caught on film via a MN officer's dash cam.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Who's driving? Oh my God Bear is driving! How can that be??
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Heads up for Southern Californians...

Nasa is finally launching their Mars InSight Lander Saturday May 5th at 4am from Vandenberg and should be pretty visible for most of Southern Californians. It's trajectory will have it flying south towards San Diego.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by TummieGaruda View Post
    Heads up for Southern Californians...

Nasa is finally launching their Mars InSight Lander Saturday May 5th at 4am from Vandenberg and should be pretty visible for most of Southern Californians. It's trajectory will have it flying south towards San Diego.
    My coworker is gonna be landing from a flight at LAX at about 5AM. He should have a good view coming in from the west.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Litz Zatsuza
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I literally live on the southern tip of San Diego so if I can get myself to wake up, this should be cool.

BG's #1 Hatsune Miku fan!
    BG Level

Tomorrow night Comet 46P/Wirtanen will make it's closet flybly of Earth in 70 years. If your weather is good you might be able to see it.

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/jpl/see...et-this-sunday

Fuck It, I'm Goin Deep Fan Club President
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
    Tomorrow night Comet 46P/Wirtanen will make it's closet flybly of Earth in 70 years. If your weather is good you might be able to see it.

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/jpl/see...et-this-sunday
    Bah, rain all night =/

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

yeah we had shit rain all night i was hoping for a window around midnight but it didn't happen. also light pollution.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Ya don't you live in NYC? How do you see anything?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag