+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Backyard Astronomy     submit to reddit submit to twitter

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Boyiee View Post
    I can't wait till my toddler is a little bit older and I can get a scope. It's much darker in my new neighborhood just gotta wait till he's not gonna wreck it.
    I dunno if I should tell you this but...

Spoiler: show
    Kid gonna break it at any age.

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    I dunno if I should tell you this but...

Spoiler: show
    Kid gonna break it at any age.
    But it'll be a different kind of break! And hopefully he'll at least understand what he broke or what he was looking at lol.

Who's driving? Oh my God Bear is driving! How can that be??
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Delayed View Post
    I ordered an Apertura AD8 8" Dobsonian Telescope and have no known delivery date at this time due to the backorder.
    I'm excited to get my first adult telescope, but nervous about being able to use it properly. I guess covid has turned this into a whole thing being at home now.
    Any recommendations on a good app to use once i do get it in to help with viewing? I work night shift so I'm generally awake all night anyway.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    Are you looking to do EAA (Electronically Assisted Astronomy) where you use a camera to view with the scope sees, or are you looking for an app that will show you objects in the sky? If it's the later, there is an app called Night Sky for your tablet/phone that shows you the positions of the objects in the sky in real time. There is also a desktop program called Stellarium that's good for looking ahead as you can see what the night sky will look like months or years from now if you want to try to find where planets will be.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

+1 Sky Map or Star Walk

I use em frequently just to see what it is that's shining brightly, and to find mars/venus during those times of year lol.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by TummieGaruda View Post
    Are you looking to do EAA (Electronically Assisted Astronomy) where you use a camera to view with the scope sees, or are you looking for an app that will show you objects in the sky? If it's the later, there is an app called Night Sky for your tablet/phone that shows you the positions of the objects in the sky in real time. There is also a desktop program called Stellarium that's good for looking ahead as you can see what the night sky will look like months or years from now if you want to try to find where planets will be.
    Would that require booking my phone to the telescope in some way? I don't really even know the first thing about using one, much less getting more technical about it... i will dl the app and start trying to understand what should be where for now. I still don't know when to expect to receive it

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

I would start with the app and familiarizing yourself with the night sky. An 8inch Dob will be able to easily resolve planets, some nebula depending on how dark your site is, and star clusters. Right now we are turning away from the outer arms of our galaxy and slowly pointing back to our galactic core. One of the most easily viewable objects that is slowly starting to set is the Orion Nebula. If you are in the northern hemisphere, Orion should be overhead at sunset but mostly east now. If you take a look at how how Orion is drawn as a constellation, you will find the 3 stars that make up his belt. If you aim your Telescope below his belt you'll find the Orion Nebula which is bright enough to be seen through your telescope. Just a heads up though, it won't look super colorful like you see in photos on the internet. It will look like a white/grey cloud with small tints of blue. This is because most photos taken of the Orion Nebula are long exposures and are able to capture hydrogen alpha which gives the nebula a reddish/pink tint.

As far as planets are concerned, you will be able to easily see Jupiter and the four Galilean Moons and Saturn's Rings. You may want to invest in visual filters for planets to help bring out more color, specifically with Jupiter because it will look like a white dot with faint banding.

BG's #1 Hatsune Miku fan!
    BG Level

How to watch next week's spectacular "super flower blood moon" lunar eclipse
    The most spectacular full moon of 2021 is quickly approaching, gracing the night sky in all its glory on May 26. That date marks not just a supermoon, but also a blood moon, thanks to a lunar eclipse.
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/lunar-e...wer-moon-2021/

King Bitcher of Bitchington
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Chuggs M'koul
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

uugghhhh I would love to check that out but I STILL don't have my damn telescope.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Koul View Post
    uugghhhh I would love to check that out but I STILL don't have my damn telescope.
    You don't have to have a telescope to enjoy the view. 4am is too early for me to haul my telescope out so I am just going to roll with my Canon + Zoom Lens.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

I'm in Florida so I already had a limited view of the eclipse, but then my neighbors house got in the way woke up early just to watch an eighth of an eclipse lol

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

Wake up at normal work alarm time (3:50am LA time). Go outside. Sigh at the clouds and have a cup of disappointment and coffee.

BG Level

You couldn't see the blood moon in the east but I still stayed up anyway to watch the streams online and because it was a supermoon. It was just a little cloudly here but it didn't obstruct the moon. It was soooo bright and lit up the few clouds that were around. After I went outside and sat down and watched it apparently there was a owl in one of the trees in my backyard and he started hooting really loudly. So that was cool. :D

You couldn't see the blood moon in the east but I still stayed up anyway to watch the streams online and because it was a supermoon. It was just a little cloudly here but it didn't obstruct the moon. It was soooo bright and lit up the few clouds that were around. After I went outside and sat down and watched it apparently there was a owl in one of the trees in my backyard and he started hooting really loudly. So that was cool. :D

In general, there are many places in California where you can see a wonderful view from the mountain!

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

I got my telescope ready. Probably going to take some photographs.

Duplicitous Jew with Political Aspirations
    BG Level

Is Jupiter all gas or is there a crunchy center in there somewhere?

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot View Post
    Is Jupiter all gas or is there a crunchy center in there somewhere?

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
    Giant planets like Jupiter and Saturn have a solid planetary core beneath a thick envelope of hydrogen and helium gas. But no-one has previously been able to see what these solid cores are like.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by TummieGaruda View Post
    I got my telescope ready. Probably going to take some photographs.
    Could post some pictures please if you can? Even if I had a telescope right now it wouldn't do any good. Mountains, big trees everywhere, etc.

Sent from my SM-A505U1 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag