1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 5 hours, 54 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 18 hours, 5 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 22 hours, 54 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 11 hours, 5 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: ACT question     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Crizto View Post
    Am I right in saying that both of you have renamed "YOU" to your character name via the "Combatant Rename" configuration? If that's the case, I would suggest not doing that because it will cause headaches like the one you have described. The plugin runs much more accurately when you just leave it to recording your damage as "YOU". Things like DoT estimations and sometimes pets/auto-attacks can get messed up when you change your name in the plugin; probably because of how it is reading the log/memory.
    Nope, the character name is the default "YOU" and I have not modified it. I am wondering whether the cause could be the fact that I am running ACT on windows XP, since this problem doesn't occur on my other PC with windows 7 installed. Is Kicoe using windows XP as well?

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kicoe Vashai
    FFXIV Server
    Cerberus
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Using Windows 7.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

If you guys are importing using HistoryDB, this is a known issue. A work-around is to rename your in-game player name to "YOU" under the combatant rename option.

The reason this happens is the that plugin records the player's in-game name in the log file so that regular parsing can automatically do this renaming. HistoryDB only does a partial import, so it skips this log line and the manual mapping is necessary.

The ACT Import tab can import a full log file to bypass this issue, so that is what I use instead. HistoryDB doesn't work very well with the FFXIV plugin for other reasons. The DoT simulation requires prior log data to estimate the DoT tick amounts. If it only processes a partial import, it will use whatever previously-loaded data to estimate. It also may miss some combatant details such as job and pet ownership. Job can affect the application of some buffs to DoTs that have job-specific effects. There's probably more going on too. If SE ever includes individual DoT ticks, then I can discard the DoT simulator and a lot of these issues will go away.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Olo401 View Post
    Having a problem with ACT crashing before it fully loads. Thought it just needed a plugin update but that didn't fix it either. Not sure why it's happening.
    I've seen this once, it was caused because ACT was left minimized when shutting down the computer. It remembers the window setting and tries to load minimized to the icon tray, and triggers an issue in the .net framework that results in a stack overflow.

The only reliable workaround we found was to delete the ACT configuration file in AppData. You may be able to fix it by just changing a line in the configuration file:
    <Form Name="FormActMain" X="0" Y="0" W="1111" H="605" WindowState="Minimized" />

changed "Minimized" to "Normal" and it should work, if this is the same problem.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Neon Sea
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

My Act is stock settings for the most part, but it keeps displaying fights in pieces. It usually cuts the parse off into a new piece when a boss jumps or there is slight inactivity. Is there a way to display total dps of the fight with the jumps?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sigmakan Kaph
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

You can merge together the individual pieces, but it wont count the elapsed time during jumps (this is why merged parses are typically higher DPS).

If you want to change the time before it creates a new encounter go to Options>Main Table/Encounters>General and then change the value for "Number of seconds to wait after the last combat action to begin a new encounter" to ~20 seconds

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Neon Sea
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Oh ok, so would that be considered a more honest parse for a fight?

I'd consider an "honest" parse to be one that accounts for all downtime in the fight, yes.

Excluding downtime is just artificially inflating the DPS numbers to look more like a test dummy, it's not an accurate representation of your performance in a given situation.

Tom Wilson will never be good.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zero Star
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

eh, that's not entirely true. Some points you sit around waiting longer because you are better. You kill Snakes in T5 too fast and can wait 10-15s for Twintania. Kill Dalmud's faster and you sit around waiting for Megaflare longer. An "honest" parse to me would be one which simply states the context of said parse.

Obviously you wouldn't compare an un-merged 320dps parse to a merged 380 dps parse but both are "honest" as long as you don't try to claim the 380 is un-merged.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Jubei'Thos

Quote Originally Posted by Judai View Post
    eh, that's not entirely true. Some points you sit around waiting longer because you are better. You kill Snakes in T5 too fast and can wait 10-15s for Twintania. Kill Dalmud's faster and you sit around waiting for Megaflare longer. An "honest" parse to me would be one which simply states the context of said parse.

Obviously you wouldn't compare an un-merged 320dps parse to a merged 380 dps parse but both are "honest" as long as you don't try to claim the 380 is un-merged.
    It's really just as simple as one is a record of the whole fight from pull to boss kill and the other has parts missing/removed. I recognise that most of the time it's because it's the default setting and usually not dont maliciously and "honest" is probably not the right word but "correct"? might be more suitable.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zero Star
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

I don't think correct would be the right word either, as all parses need context with them to show the entire story. Normal, usual, most common, method. The only things removed are downtime in which nobody is really doing anything.

Merged gives a pretty big benefit in fights like Turn 9 though, as you can quickly and easily look at each individual stage and determine if someone is under performing at certain points. Not killing Dalmuds fast enough? Look at that section to see who is doing what. Want to push 3 meteors but stuck at 4? See who needs to up their DPS at the start. Sure, you can still do that with timelines in un-merged but it's a little more work.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Neon Sea
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Yeah having it split has actually been pretty good to show me exactly how high I can perform in each phase of a fight. I wish there was a way to show the fight segmented like that but also have a complete duration parse as well.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zero Star
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Have a second person parse, if you want both un-merged and merged.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Jubei'Thos

I don't think correct would be the right word either, as all parses need context with them to show the entire story. Normal, usual, most common, method. The only things removed are downtime in which nobody is really doing anything.

Merged gives a pretty big benefit in fights like Turn 9 though, as you can quickly and easily look at each individual stage and determine if someone is under performing at certain points. Not killing Dalmuds fast enough? Look at that section to see who is doing what. Want to push 3 meteors but stuck at 4? See who needs to up their DPS at the start. Sure, you can still do that with timelines in un-merged but it's a little more work.
    Well I guess for analysis reasons - the "correct" one is the one that works best. But I guess I'm thinking as use as comparison to other full fights (i.e. WoW style World of Logs, and other aggregated log websites). Like you said, statistics are inherently neutral - it's all about how you use them.

I'm pretty sure it's fairly simple in ACT to "unmerge" existing fights (by combat log or similar). Though I can't recall the exact way this was done.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Have a second person parse, if you want both un-merged and merged.
    You can re-parse an encounter in ACT:
    • Go to Import/Export Tab
    • In the treeview, click the Import a Log File node
    • Click the 'Select File' button
    • Navigate to the FFXIVLogs folder (%appdata%/Advanced Combat Tracker/FFXIVLogs), and pick the relevant log file. You can also find this folder by going to Plugins ->FFXIV Settings tab and clicking the 'Open Folder' button

ACT will scan the file, then ask whether to use the default character name, or if you want to supply a custom name. Clicking the left button should work for your own parses.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rozaria Eleanor
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

question!

how to change the target and focus target color and size/look? '3'

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shanoa Varhara
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

The most easiest way is to have Clickthrough disabled (Plugins > FFXIV Overlay settings > Target etc.) so you can click on the overlay. Left click moves it around and holding right click over it allows you to expand and contract the overlay bar to whatever size you want. Once you have it set, enable clickthrough again. The color is changed in the in the StartHP and EndHP boxes so you can set it to be a specific color at certain HP% thresholds or just make it so it's the same color no matter the %.

This is how I have mine set.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

omfg that is so smart

Ze NinjaSYXX
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nitsuki Syxx
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Damn Lokus, best idea ever, thanks!

Is there any way to get rid of the borders around the mini window?

I don't really use it but I might if it didn't stick out so much.