Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Making friends     submit to reddit submit to twitter

The 69th Donor
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by Charismatic View Post
    Don't do this as a substitute, this nigga retarded.
    Work/school full time, so a dog would be a bad idea. Boyfriend is allergic to cats, so no cat.

Plus apartment complex deposits for pets, fuck that.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

I feel ya. When I moved to Cali I found myself talking mostly with friends from back home and internet buddies on vent. Going back to get my cert helped as I made a few friends from classmates. HAving kids really helped with connecting with some acquaintances who had kids around the same time so we are closer.

With that said, I haven't tried this yet, but I hear it is amazing:

http://www.meetup.com/

There is actually a nerdy parents group in my area that I've been meaning to try, but haven't gotten around to it yet. The biggest hurdle is to not be shy about going, but if you do, just remember everyone joined that group because they probably felt the same way as you (wanting to hang out with people and had no one to hang out with).

You just got served THE CALLISTO SPECIAL
    SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

Something like that probably is pretty cool if you don't already have something specific in mind. Over the last few years I picked up rec league hockey and ended up meeting people through that(actually my g/f ended up making several good friends through that, with wives of teammates and such, she still hangs out with them regularly even though I haven't played awhile), and the gaming thing, probably the main thing for both was that the were something I was new at. If you have an interest that you are brand new to, and can meet someone early on in and instructional type class so you can share experiences learning and/or getting better if it's a competitive thing, that makes a really easy/natural way to form bonds.

Brown Recluse
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

I feel ya OP, I just turned 39 on Sunday, all of my friends live in other states so I have no "friends" in town. Running a business, being married with two children also puts a damper on my social life. I ain't got time to make new friends right now and that's ok.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Pick a sports team that you really love, find a sports bar that is showing the game, and show up at game time. You will bond with a few folks over your shared fandom.

Try joining a rec league kickball or beer league softball team or something like that. Also, not sure if you have one in your area, but we have "Painting With A Twist" classes offered here, basically you pay a small amount to join a class where once a week you meet up with 20 other people in an art classroom, they will provide you the art supplies and also wine, crackers, and cheeses. Get wine drunk and paint something, and you get to take it home. And you'll probably make friends that way...and if you don't, at least you got wine and cheese!

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

make your friends on BG, qalbert is my best friend so don't fucking talk to him or i'll cut you bitch

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Don't make friends with tyven or you'll find yourself going to the movies alone a lot.

I'm almost as bad as Mazmaz

BG Level

With guys it's easy. You talk sprots with dudes at work/wherever. Then hit up a sprots bar and watch some sprots.

Like said dude? Do it again.

Maybe it works with chicks, I dunno.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ratatapa View Post
    Sounds like a joke but honestly I see that often
    Doesn't mean you should (recommend) do(ing) it.
    One of the annoying things on OKC is finding a good match, getting hyped by the profile, then seeing they're only looking for "new friends" down at the bottom.

But yeah Aks, Cally and Ksan's advice are the go to methods.

Lets be friends

spot me $20?

Honestly after college it's a pain in the ass, I get a long well with my coworkers and shit, but I have a problem with being very antisocial and just getting really irritated by people quickly lol.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Aksannyi View Post
    tl;dr: You're lazy. It was four easy paragraphs.
    This is why you're not making friends.

The 69th Donor
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by Meresgi View Post
    Honestly after college it's a pain in the ass, I get a long well with my coworkers and shit, but I have a problem with being very antisocial and just getting really irritated by people quickly lol.
    This is how I feel, like I'm a lot more discerning with who I give my time to. Like the coworker I talked about, we joke and bullshit throughout the day but I couldn't see myself hanging out with her outside of work because she'd see the irritated looks I give her when she says something stupid - while at work I'm hidden behind the cubicle wall. So maybe that's part of my problem, the fact that I can't tolerate people very well? If that's the case then I may be better off sticking with the BG crowd.

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Have your bf treat me to dinner; I'll third wheel it

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Board Gaming and Craft Beers work wonders for bringing people together. I don't drink so mainly its the board games for me, but I've seen quite a few people bond and hang out due to a shared love of local breweries ... lol. Either way, both have an amazing ability to put 20/30/40/50 year olds all at the same table.

(For reference I'm going on 31)

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Join a Co-Op. Groceries are a great place to meet people. Other than that, go dancing.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Aksannyi View Post
    I may be better off sticking with the BG crowd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cream Soda View Post
    Have your bf treat me to dinner; I'll third wheel it
    YOU'vE HAD HIM RIGHT HERE ALL THIS TIME EVEN AT THE SAME SCHOOL.

But seriously try that website out.

Quote Originally Posted by BaneTheBrawler View Post
    seconding the hobby thing. my only friends have either been my friends since high school or we became friends through a hobby. namely, playing halo etc on xbl. haven't added a new friend in a loooooong time, though.
    met some good friends playing Monster Hunter each week, been sure to make time every Wednesday, anywhere from 3-10 hours, had a few of the core group over to my place on a holiday Monday.

my friend at work who does the overnight shift, he uses a site similar to Friendster where they post or join events. He attends a thing on Thursdays where they go see older movies (like Pulp Fiction old, not Casablanca old) and then meet at a cafe after to hang out and talk about it, or whatever else

get out there, take a class, find something free and stick with it. Be open with people and maybe something would blossom.

I feel for you, my gf has friends but no one she's super close with. Good luck

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Howie Roary View Post
    met some good friends playing Monster Hunter each week, been sure to make time every Wednesday, anywhere from 3-10 hours, had a few of the core group over to my place on a holiday Monday.
    ^
    PSP MH in college was da bes.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Most of my friends are from work that have similar hobbies and interests. My other friends are people I have met through my hobbies like magic the gathering and photography.

I was playing MH on the bus in the east end, I only go out that way 3-4 times a year for the dentist, and some guy comes up to me and tells me about a facebook group for Toronto hunters. I joined and went to a meet at a local independent video game shop and later set up an additional meet in the downtown. We've had as little as 2-4 and as many as 10-11

random things like that can happen and flourish, but you gotta be out there

edit: my own friends in the last decade are all through work, I'm fortunate to have some leftover from high school. If not for the above, I'd be in the same boat as you. Your partner as your best friend only goes so far

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast