+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 ... LastLast

Thread: BG Kids Thread!     submit to reddit submit to twitter

The 69th Donor
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

I've always preferred layovers (a couple hours at most) just to have time for diaper changing and getting something substantial to eat, but YMMV. It really depends. Six hours is a pretty long flight with a child. I'd suggest trying to schedule for a time that's close to nap time. If you can get your kid to sleep on the plane it's like the best thing ever.

I would recommend a layover. My wife and I have taken 3-4 trips with our daughter (who's 18 months old right now) and it's never been terrible, including one last month. She only falls asleep now if she's in a quiet room by herself so on the last trip she only slept like 30 minutes total during the 6ish hours in the air.

Things I'd recommend:
    1) Show up earlier than you would normally. US Airways wouldn't let us print a boarding pass at home because of some silly rule about all passengers needing a seat for it to work so we had to get one printed up at the airport. They'll let you bring liquids in for your daughter, but they'll have to test them and wipe down your hands etc. so going through security takes a couple of extra minutes.

2) If you're renting a car for more than a day or two, bring your own car seat through the airport. I think the last time we had to get a car seat through the rental company they charged us $10 a day for it. The airline won't charge you for the extra baggage if it's a car seat and being inconvenienced through the airport was worth an extra $60~ to me.

3) We got a toddler sized backpack for our daughter and put snacks, drinks, and toys in it to keep her occupied. She really enjoyed carrying it (we still use it around town now as her diaper bag) and it came with a leash thing so we could let her run around the airport a little without her getting too far away.

4) They'll let you on the plane right after the first class passengers during the family boarding. This is nice because it gives you a little more room to get arranged and also it lets the other passengers see your daughter before (if?) she starts to get cranky and they'll be more willing to be forgiving. Make sure she's extra cute with the other passengers. Big smiles and blown kisses go a long way.

5) While waiting for the plane at the airport let her run around as much as possible to help tire her out.

6) As a last resort we also brought a laptop with us and bought her special headphones and a headphone splitter to watch some TV while flying. We only had to use it once, but Daniel Tiger was a lifesaver.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Always bring your own carseat. You can skip the stroller if you want and get a cart that the carseat clips to that way you just cart the carseat around. Try to time naps for that day so you keep napping during the flight to the max. At that young of an age that also means adjusting feedings so they coincide with takeoff and landing to help reduce ear pain.

Other than that the rest of the advice here is top notch. My wife and I had our son as a lap baby until he reached the maximum age. When they are younger lap baby is easier for comfort once he was old enough to walk having him in his own seat in the carseat was so much easier because he knew that carseat meant you had to sit. In the lap he would squirm and complain and want to get down.

Most airlines will not charge you extra to gate check the stroller and carseat. Get a protective bag (cheap on amazon) for the carseat so it arrives at your destination clean and in one piece. We have this one and it makes it easier to carry the car seat if I need to: http://www.amazon.com/Jeep-Car-Seat-...eat+travel+bag

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

zoob has great advice, that's what we do too - 16 month old, 5 round trip flights so far. We got a cheap carseat cart to wheel him around in the airport, and he loves it.

This one: http://www.amazon.com/Britax-Seat-Tr.../dp/B005CNEQK0 but we got it on craigslist for like $15, works great. Last flight we took was only half full, so even though he was officially a "lap infant" they told us we could bring the carseat on the flight and buckle him in. We were kinda iffy on it but it worked pretty well. He's so big that holding him for 2+ hours straight kinda sucks because he wants to get down and crawl around.

edit: I would also not layover if possible, just get that shit over with. If you have to change her (poop only, put her in an overnight diaper before the flight for pee) just do it on the seat while you stand in the aisle, should be able to knock out one diaper change pretty quick, there's nothing in the bathrooms for you.

Cassalot

Quote Originally Posted by pohibaba View Post

3) We got a toddler sized backpack for our daughter and put snacks, drinks, and toys in it to keep her occupied. She really enjoyed carrying it (we still use it around town now as her diaper bag) and it came with a leash thing so we could let her run around the airport a little without her getting too far away.
    I must get a small backpack now, even if she doesn't use it! hahaha so cute.

Thanks guys for those links! especially that backpack for the car seat. Super convenient. Now i'm thinking about getting another seat for her instead of lap but they might have a free seat anyways... soooo. yah lol. Definitely going to bring the car seat. I didnt really think about it. I was just going to pay the rental place for one. But I rather bring the one that's already adjusted to her.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

I don't think it was answered (sorry if it was), but yes there is a changing table in the bathroom. It's basically one you flip down from the wall over the toilet. Not the greatest, but it works. You should ask the flight attendants as my experience has been only one of the bathrooms will have it.

All the stuff mentioned is good advice. I also did this trick that helped, which is to buy like two small toys and don't open them until your on the plane (or like open them without her seeing if they are in stupid packaging). Fresh toys will keep her entertained for a bit.

When we first flew, we actually bought an iPod for her and put a bunch of fisher price games. That helped a lot. One thing is to not care about showing videos or w/e on a plane. Do w/e it takes to keep her calm lol.

Cassalot

Thanks Ksandra! The fresh toys trick is a great idea. Even now if I need to keep her in her high chair a little longer to get something done around the house-- I give her a toy she doesn't play with too often(bath toys! lol).

I think her grandparents are getting her a small tablet for Christmas. We're leaving right after. She loves her TV shows.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

One thing my niece and nephew have done for their kids that I think is really cool is they taught them basic sign language. So if they boys are not in a vocal mood, or getting really upset and revert to non-vocalization, they can still sign what they want. "More" "Please" "Eat" "All Done" are the ones ive seen them do.

Dunno how helpful that is in the short term, but might be useful in the long term.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

All done is the only one my boy cares about, but it's nice to have a warning before he starts wiping the rest of the food off his tray.

THIS IS BREGOR'S STORY
    Beard +1

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

My girl knows "more" and "all done" and it's the best thing ever. She's saying a few words now but before it was crucial for meals and really all communication.

Cassalot

Anyone been to the pumpkin patch yet this season? :D

We went today and got some good photos and some fail photos lol

It was her first time! She had fun walking around. It was so much for her to take in hahah

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    All done is the only one my boy cares about, but it's nice to have a warning before he starts wiping the rest of the food off his tray.
    Need to get this on video asap.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

Quote Originally Posted by Cassalot View Post
    your kid is cute but hold up

this picture

dude has no chin

Spoiler: show
    just a trick of the light but if you look at the shadow on his jawline and think of it as beard it looks weird as fuck

But I don't want my title changed
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fievel Mousekewitz
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

That's me

But yeah now that you mention it holy fuck LOL, I do have a chin I promise.

Here's a video I took while at the pumpkin patch a few weeks ago featuring my daughter and her "Kansas banana".

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

14.5 months now, just started taking his first steps over the past couple weeks, will be running in no time now!

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Welp it happened.

Son was sleeping on me. Daughter was being quiet in her room. She came to me with hands behind her back. Showed me scissors in one hand and hair in the other. Luckily she mostly "tried" to give herself bangs:

(There were more "bangs" but she kept pushing them away for the camera.)

So I had to finish it up for her:

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

she looks happy. mom saves the day!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Lack of crying is a win for Santa.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn