+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast

Thread: BG Kids Thread!     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Professional Pixel Pusher
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I would be skeptical of big plans in the beginning. There were certain things that I wasn't interested in doing that are an every day occurrence now. There's always a TV on with something kid friendly on the weekends, but he plays around with toys and stuff while it's on. I don't think he's had any sort of delays, my kids a chatterbox and I find it's more about talking with him and clarifying what he's saying if he's hard to understand.

My wife is pretty quick to do the iPad/iPhone thing if she's out of energy and wants a bit of a break.

I wish you success in your endeavor.

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

My nieces have been tablet kids since 5-6. Now all they want to do is watch youtube, play Fortnite/Overwatch, and memes. The older is 11 and twins at 10. At least my brother and his ex-wife got them socializing a lot and doing sports so they aren't 100% latched onto electronics.

The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

I have 4 kids all raised the same way. They couldn't be more different. Starting to be of the opinion that what I do doesn't matter ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    Just remember, it's not that screens are harmful, they're just less helpful than whatever else they'd be doing.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    While I get this, it also ultimately may not be entirely accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Vandalhart View Post
    I would be skeptical of big plans in the beginning.

I wish you success in your endeavor.
    We're a fairly screen-barren house, and I don't think this really qualifies as big plans. We don't have a bedroom TV, we don't have a living room TV, we don't have a tablet at all, and all non-phone screens are in a single dead-end room in the house.

It seems more likely the goals for reading, playing, and personal care for us as parents are more wishfully thinking than just deciding not to throw a landscaped ipad or smart phone down in front of babby, especially for only a year or so.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Tyche View Post
    I have 4 kids all raised the same way. They couldn't be more different. Starting to be of the opinion that what I do doesn't matter ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    this also sounds like good advice

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Honestly, I just try not to overthink it. Just be a good person/parent and chances are, you'll churn out some decent kids.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

I guess it is different for me because we live in such a rural area and we have so much space outside but we watch quite a bit of tv at night but during the day the kids are outside playing. Sometimes we have the tv time on as background noise while our 2.5 yo naps. Our kids just want to be outside as much as possible and we spend as much time as we can outside too. I also read to them a lot. I read to my 7yo every night as part of our bedtime routine.

Given how active my kids are and how much other stuff we do I definitely don't feel guilty about using tv as a tool to get the kids to settle down and be quiet when needed.

My sister had my son stay at her house for a week over the summer and all he wanted to do was swim in their pool and play in the park with them. She also had her other nieces and nephews stay with her over the summer (from her husbands family) and all those kids wanted to do was watch youtube on their phones/tablets.

My oldest son does get to play video games when he does his chores and behaves and we do use a tablet so the boys can watch movies when we go on long road trips but that is about it for smaller devices.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Read a ton of books with her every day.

Yeah, we do that already. It was more about my next comment about gaming backlog.

Was more of a joking thing, but it already makes things difficult when we try to just watch a single weekly episode of something and need to stop 10 minutes in because she wakes up or something.

Didn't get to see the finale of Big Little Lies for like 3 weeks, and we've been trying to watch The Righteous Gemstones all week (only been a couple days, but still).

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya

BG Level

BG Kids Thread!

I’ve avoided throwing a tablet or iPhone in my son’s face. Though we almost always have a tv on at the house, he doesn’t really care for it and just wants to run around and bang his toys on things. We then read him a book at night before bed.

My wife’s niece who’s 3 years old wants nothing to do with anyone and only wants her tablet full time. Hell no to that.

Professional Pixel Pusher
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

The fact that you folks are all worried about it and engaged is already a huge leg up in your child's favor.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

My daughter definitely gets distracted by the sounds and light coming form the TV. It may also be because of that one nanny who was literally sitting her in her bouncy seat in front of an iPad despite our explicit instructions not to do so. It certainly isn't the only reason, as mentioned there is light and sound to draw attention, but it definitely didn't help.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Honestly I think there is a big difference between ipad/phones and the TV. I am ok with my son playing old school Nintendo games on the TV (If he behaves and earns it) more than I am ok with him playing something on the tablet. The TV while distracting at times is easier to break a kids attention from than a tablet or small device.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Wife's nephew (3?) Is literally glued to a tablet/phone and loses his mind when he doesn't have it. He's behind in some areas but not entirely related to that, it doesn't help though.

My son (8mo) we only let see a phone/device as a last resort, and he mostly only wants it because we're holding it or to play with the popsocket on the back. He plays with a turned off phone as much as one with baby shark on it. I took a wireless keyboard and mouse out the other day and he went nuts until he could touch them, it's not as much a screen thing as a what you're doing thing.

We do use Mickey mouse club/baby shark songs on a TV during changing if he's rolling a lot, but he doesn't watch as much as listens. He ONLY wants shows with songs. He will ignore entire episodes until the hot dog song plays.

We play classical music throughout the house most of the day and all night long for bed time music (which is now for us too lol). I sing so I change it up during the day from everything from Michael Jackson and Fleetwood Mac to Weezer and disturbed. Books before bed and we're trying to add in more.

I see the studies about no screen time, I see the MIT/Harvard/Princeton apps targeting younger and younger ages to introduce kids to coding and tech, as long as it's not non-stop it's probably fine. As long as you choose things that promote development rather than hinder you're good.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

I tried playing BotW with my 5 year old boy and he loves it but tries to act it out in real life and we already have enough problems trying to get him to play nice as it is.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

i know some friends with a wild son who have a hilarious story how he fouled out of his first basketball game around age 7, like blatant hack-a-shaq from the tip

they were both embarrassed and proud, youngest ever biddy foul out

maybe your son can match or break these records

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

I tried playing BotW with my 5 year old boy and he loves it but tries to act it out in real life and we already have enough problems trying to get him to play nice as it is.

Mario Party to get out that energy! For real though, it's a fun family game. We like to play board games as well. Bought Dixit yesterday and played it last night. We had a good time.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya

BG Level

BG Kids Thread!

Wifey trying to turn him into a god damn hipster.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Since we were called boomers in spam, moving the discussion.

Tyven, let's see those accessories.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

the baby is still alive, that is all to report

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Is it a bad look to have our daughter's first birthday at the local brewery?

On the one hand, it's a brewery and she's 1. On the other she won't remember a damn thing anyway, the adults can have a good time, there's plenty of space, they have good food, and there's no prep/cooking/clean up for us.

Thoughts?