FFXIV Character
    Eanae Hikari
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal

Does landmark get you anything in next? I don't like minecraft type games because I suck at building but running out of things to do in XIV I could use a new mmo and wildstar looks like shit.

It doesn't get you anything immediate, no. Add on to the fact that EQN isn't due out until 2015 at the earliest, I would sit back and watch Landmark/EQN announcements in general for a few months. There are some benefits to it, such as putting things you've built in Landmark (Buildings) into the Player Studio and allowing people that are playing EQN to purchase it, giving you a cut of the money. That isn't in the current Landmark alpha, though, and likely won't be in for a while yet.

Wild Card
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mina Pulchra
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Takiwaki View Post
    Seems they are allowing streamers. the art style and graphic engine is pretty awesome.

edit seems nda has been lifted and you can stream.
    Shit I wish I had read/known that. I would have streamed for some friends that wanted to see it.
    Herp derp dumb. Guess I'll do that.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Airewen Moonflower
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Just of couple of videos showing off EverQuest Next Landmark.

I would have bought a Founders Pack if it included all the early access for the actual game also. It's crazy it does not.

Landmark and Next are two totally different things, which is why it doesn't include early access for Next. Landmark is, and will be, it's own game that's simply tied to EQN.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Is that you Minecraft ?

Those were some boring ass videos. No wonder they offered a refund policy... Their Landmark editor is false advertising, at best; a cash-grab for a tedious player housing editor that should be built-in to the actual game, at worst.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Not sure if serious.... The amount that you are able to do is pretty staggering (far beyond player housing) and with the ability to design something that could make it into EQ Next is pretty great too. Granted I have yet to see any streams of anyone really getting into the intricacies of it yet but there is a ton of potential here.

They're not doing themselves any favors right now, if they honestly look to attract an object/map-editing community, by forcing so many unnecessary grind-fest hurdles to access the full-blown editor. I don't see that as their intent at this point and, apparently, neither do those who have expressed buyer's remorse. It really is just a glorified minecraft demo right now that will probably only amount to player-housing products that can be sold, which is such a waste of potential. The fact that they ask you to pay full price for an unfinished tool(that should be offered for free at this stage) is laughable.

While I do agree the cost of landmark is a bit harsh for what it is, you are definitely not paying for an unfinished product/tool, you are pre-purchasing the complete thing, which gives you access to alpha, not even beta yet.

The entire buying alpha/beta access debate is a beast all on its own.

Charging for alpha access is a bold move, but I think it ensures that only the really dedicated bunch that want to get in and test the game to help make it all it can be will be given access. Giving out free random alpha invites to people that may not be very interested and just want to treat the game as a demo is even worse in my opinion. Not only does charging for it give the most dedicated people access, it also supports the company to be able to put more resources into Landmark and Next and hopefully make them better because of it.

Apparently the amount of founders packs that have been sold have already exceeded their expectations, which goes to show how many people are actually willing to pay full price for a game still in alpha. But I think a lot of those people realize that if you really want to get in and try to give feedback to help make the game better, it needs to be during the alpha stage as beta is generally too late to do that. Which it very much is an alpha. They said this build is only about 60% of the actual game, so there's still a lot not in yet. Such as world layers, water, and combat. When they actually add mobs and falling damage and stuff like that, there will actually be danger in trying to get the best resources.

I disagree. Charging for access to an alpha of a map-editor that is saturated with grinds is going to attract the wrong demographic. Maybe I'm too oldschool, but from my gaming experience, the ease of access to creative tools coupled with these tools being easy to pick-up, made for the best content creation(HL2 and Minecraft are good examples).

Substantive user-generated content(beyond houses and trinkets) for an MMO with a modern engine and graphics could make some huge waves in the gaming industry. I feel like they are wasting a ton of potential by what I have seen so far; they honestly seem content on making a minecraft clone with little impact/relation to the actual MMO, as a means to milk bored gamers on the new shiny thing as much as possible until the real content is ready to test.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by notorious bum View Post
    I disagree. Charging for access to an alpha of a map-editor that is saturated with grinds is going to attract the wrong demographic. Maybe I'm too oldschool, but from my gaming experience, the ease of access to creative tools coupled with these tools being easy to pick-up, made for the best content creation(HL2 and Minecraft are good examples).

Substantive user-generated content(beyond houses and trinkets) for an MMO with a modern engine and graphics could make some huge waves in the gaming industry. I feel like they are wasting a ton of potential by what I have seen so far; they honestly seem content on making a minecraft clone with little impact/relation to the actual MMO, as a means to milk bored gamers on the new shiny thing as much as possible until the real content is ready to test.
    I must be old school as well because I agree with this.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Landmark (Everquest Next's Minecraft)

Make a game using a map editor, let the players have that map editor while you are still doing the same as you make the actual game, ???, profit?

Doesn't seem that bad of an idea to me. Though, I have no real interest until I can actually play the game, because it does look really good.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Landmark’s proposed business strategy
    EverQuest Next Landmark’s proposed business strategy has been laid out by director of development, Dave Georgeson, who took to the SOE forums to outline five phases of the plan.

The game, will of course, be free-to-play, so players will be able to decide whether they wish to purchase anything or not.

Here’s the preliminary plan so far. Note, as the game gets closer to release, things may change.

Per SOE:
    • Phase 1: This is the “Founder’s Pack” era of our game that we’re in now. Everyone in Alpha bought a back-stage pass so that they could hang with the band and influence their music. That’s what we’re doing together now, and it has been amazing so far.
    • Phase 2: We start selling stuff. Not a lot of stuff. Basically, just resources and character outfits. This phase will happen in the latter part of Alpha. Outfits are a no-brainer, and we’ve all seen this kind of offering in other games. Currently, our progression game is limited by resources, so selling those resources may seem like we’re allowing you to pay for power. But our current game progression is not the intended real progression. Very soon, you’ll only need handfuls of resources to make picks and other tools.
    • Phase 3: An ongoing phase where, as we add features, we also add time shortcut methods as well. This phase will be ongoing, but you’ll start seeing these features toward the end of Alpha.
    • Phase 4: Launch Player Studio. At that point, all of our players can start submitting templates to the store and letting other players buy them. This should occur early during Closed Beta.
    • Phase 5: Finally, at the end of Closed Beta, we add one more chunk of items. These are bigger-ticket items like cosmetic pets, sound/music packs for your claims, name/gender changes, extra claim flags, and more.
    Georgeson noted that should data wipes occur during testing phases, player inventory will always retain any purchased items at the time of wipe.

“We strongly believe that we can support the game well in these positive manners without compromising the game’s balance, economy, or fun,” eh said. “After all, we’re playing the same game that you’re playing and we all want it to be fun. We honestly want to hear your feedback about these ideas and we’re happy to answer questions and discuss this further.”

Currently in closed alpha testing, Landmark which will eventually contribute to EverQuest Next – which isn’t expected till at least 2015.
    http://www.vg247.com/2014/03/01/ever...tlines-by-soe/
    https://forums.station.sony.com/eqnl...ealed.22393%2F

Small bump because today is the last day of Alpha access. Beta begins the 26th. A group of people got together to build a small city, and god damn. It's about as large as most AAA MMO cities. The engine had some trouble rendering everything smoothly, but the devs stated that being able to slap 30 claims together like this to make a city is currently a bug. They're planning on allowing it in the future when the engine is more optimized, but they wanted to see how the game would handle it in alpha.

A few screenshots of the city are here.

http://imgur.com/a/PE4Cr

It's really, really neat.

Amazing honestly